Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Harris pokes at UA for not playing ASU!

Started by DeltaBoy, September 19, 2011, 03:44:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Choctaw Hog

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

aredwolfrazorback

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 19, 2011, 08:11:41 pm
Some thoughts to add to this

1.  The junk made up about 99 percent of ASU being Razorback fans is just stupid.  We have a wide variety of 2nd favorite teams we support...  Arkansas makes up a percentage of that.  Please remember that ASU has a fairly large alum base outside of the state of Arkansas

i assume you are referring to my post. well i graduated from asu in 2008, and until VERY recently all you would see were hog shirts. the marketing committee at asu did a good job of branding with the change to the red wolves. maybe 99% is too much. more like 90%
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

gostAte

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on September 19, 2011, 08:18:27 pm
x 1 trillion
The fact of the matter is that there is more at risk. ASU offers at least the same gains as others on your schedule. I get it. I'd be lying if I said losing to UCA would sting worse than a loss to anyone else on our schedule.

El Puerco

Wait....That red indian wolf school has a football team?

ExArky

Neither the "we gain nothing" argument by Hog fans and the "keep the money in-state" argument by ASU fans really meet muster. UA gains nothing by playing Missouri State either -- and the very unlikely upset loss to an FCS school 90 minutes away would be just as/even more humiliating than losing to ASU. (UA certainly had nothing to gain by playing The Citadel back in '93 either.) As for keeping the money in-state, as many posters have pointed out, it's more profitable in the long run for ASU to go get Auburn money and Virginia Tech money and bring it into Arkansas than just keep what's already in the state circulating within.

Like arkinf30, I used to want this game, thinking it would be fun, but have quit caring. If not playing draws this much repeated angst on a message board, then actually playing would be much worse.

ark30inf

If your going to trash talk and then be adamantly opposed to backing it up on the field....then you have a sad little complex that isn't fooling anyone.  Luckily it's a minority of Razorback fans that have to compensate in that way.

chiefsfan

Quote from: aredwolfrazorback on September 19, 2011, 08:33:11 pm

i assume you are referring to my post. well i graduated from asu in 2008, and until VERY recently all you would see were hog shirts. the marketing committee at asu did a good job of branding with the change to the red wolves. maybe 99% is too much. more like 90%

On campus is a very different situation from actual fans.   I dont consider alot of our students fans.

Until recently alot of the students we got, were simply there because of scholarship, or close to home reasons, and as such many were razorback fans.  When the name change happened, our marketing department woke up and realized what a really bad thing it was for our students to wear shirts supporting other schools, and the right changes were pushed.  Hiring John Brady for basketball also helped a bunch here

However, in terms of our actual fan base.  In other words ASU first fans.  Not closet razorback fans who attend an ASU game occasionally.  (Dont consider them fans)  the number that support Arkansas as well is lower then what you are claiming

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Go stAte

Quote from: Feralhog on September 19, 2011, 06:05:26 pm
WE GAIN NOTHING BY PLAYING ASU.  THE VERY NOTION IS IDIOTIC

coming from a dual stAte/UofA supporter, do you feel idiotic saying that or just overly void of creativity.  if only i had a dollar for every hog ONLY supporter  that said "we dont have anything to gain" by playing asu.  no darn.  your statement, expressed a half a million times prior, probably doesnt deserve all CAPS.  enjoy the ASU/UCA game on saturday night (its televised statewide) even though ASU has NOTHING TO GAIN BY PLAYING UCA.

Go stAte

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on September 19, 2011, 08:18:27 pm
x 1 trillion

well said.  glad to see that hogville moderators FERALHOG and arkapigdiesel add a lot of value to hogville with their exceptionally well thought out opinions in addition to quality moderating.

"hey FERALHOG, someone said something about ASU.  hurry up and hit the "nothing to gain by playing ASU button...and dont forget the all caps!!!"

hangman

I've been a hog fan for 50 years, and I have always found it odd that the UA and ASU didn't play every year. The only answer I could come up with Broyles absolute veto of the idea was if he lost. Think of the consequences.

Hell, it would be a sell-out every year.
"Live free or die": Death is not the worst of evils.

""Resist much, obey little." ~ Walt Whitman

chiefsfan

Quote from: Go stAte on September 19, 2011, 10:17:18 pm
coming from a dual stAte/UofA supporter, do you feel idiotic saying that or just overly void of creativity.  if only i had a dollar for every hog ONLY supporter  that said "we dont have anything to gain" by playing asu.  no darn.  your statement, expressed a half a million times prior, probably doesnt deserve all CAPS.  enjoy the ASU/UCA game on saturday night (its televised statewide) even though ASU has NOTHING TO GAIN BY PLAYING UCA.

ASU has an absolute ton to gain by playing UCA.   Other then a sell out crowd, central arkansas media coverage, we are fighting perception.  Perception still remains in certain parts of this state, that UCA is a better team then ASU, despite the fact that they are an average to above average FCS Program right now.

for ASU, this game is literally about proving to people that there really is a big divide between the states #2 and #3 programs.

Arkansas has no such divide to prove against ASU. 
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 19, 2011, 11:00:53 pm
ASU has an absolute ton to gain by playing UCA.   Other then a sell out crowd, central arkansas media coverage, we are fighting perception.  Perception still remains in certain parts of this state, that UCA is a better team then ASU, despite the fact that they are an average to above average FCS Program right now.

for ASU, this game is literally about proving to people that there really is a big divide between the states #2 and #3 programs.
Arkansas has no such divide to prove against ASU.

But it fails in comparison to the #1 and everyone else gap.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

chiefsfan

Quote from: hangman on September 19, 2011, 10:57:03 pm
I've been a hog fan for 50 years, and I have always found it odd that the UA and ASU didn't play every year. The only answer I could come up with Broyles absolute veto of the idea was if he lost. Think of the consequences.

Im probably the most Anti Frank Broyles person on this board, but in reality the arguments for this game are small ones.  My issue is not nearly the fact that Arkansas wont play us, as it is that Frank Broyles spent years refusing to even acknowledge our existance.

Alot of people think the ASU hate of Arkansas comes from the "policy."  When in reality it comes from what essentially amounts to being treated as a convicted felon.   Certainly the "policy" played a small role in the outlying issue, but I think it was the most public and central reason, and saved fans from having to dig really deep to explain what the issues were.

It wasnt until I spent some time around UCA over the summer during some meetings for work, and realized that alot of their diehard fans didnt like Arkansas either, that I discovered sort of where these issues come from.

chiefsfan

September 19, 2011, 11:11:36 pm #64 Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:13:36 pm by chiefsfan
Quote from: Catfish Joe on September 19, 2011, 11:06:44 pm
But it fails in comparison to the #1 and everyone else gap.

Did you read the next line of my post, or did you just want to say something smart to see how I'd react?

In reality the Arkansas/ASU gap is about the same as the Arkansas/troy gap.  ASU is good enough that if Arkansas played a poor game like it did Saturday, then things could be interesting.  But if Arkansas plays its best it would win

Spider-Pig

Who writes an article that should be written in the offseason during the SEC opener week? This will never happen, nor should it, move along

Kicking Wing

It's so obvious.  I've never met one person who isn't an Arkansan who understands the policy at all.  Gets old talking about it though.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 19, 2011, 11:11:36 pm
Did you read the next line of my post, or did you just want to say something smart to see how I'd react?

In reality the Arkansas/ASU gap is about the same as the Arkansas/troy gap.  ASU is good enough that if Arkansas played a poor game like it did Saturday, then things could be interesting.  But if Arkansas plays its best it would win

Ease up with the butthurt padre.

Arkansas played crappy and still won by double digits. The fact is that Troy (The team we just beat by double digits(while playing very crappy, and missing several team captains and multiple starters)) beats ASU a lot more times than not.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

chiefsfan

Quote from: Catfish Joe on September 19, 2011, 11:18:02 pm
Ease up with the butthurt padre.

Arkansas played crappy and still won by double digits. The fact is that Troy (The team we just beat by double digits(while playing very crappy, and missing several team captains and multiple starters)) beats ASU a lot more times than not.

But almost everyone of those games has come down the wire.    Troy and ASU are very similar in style and talent level.  and it doesnt really matter who Arkansas had out and who they didnt, all it does is prove what I just said.  ASU could keep it close if Arkansas played poorly

We get under-estimated by every BCS team that schedules us.  Its kind of funny

chiefsfan

Quote from: Spider-Pig on September 19, 2011, 11:13:37 pm
Who writes an article that should be written in the offseason during the SEC opener week? This will never happen, nor should it, move along

ASU plays UCA this weekend.   It would be kind of foolish to put the ariticle out some other week just out of respect for the razorbacks SEC opener

I imagine ARSports360 figures alot of Razorback players are too busy to really care about a foolish policy

Catfish Joe

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 19, 2011, 11:22:30 pm
But almost everyone of those games has come down the wire.    Troy and ASU are very similar in style and talent level.  and it doesnt really matter who Arkansas had out and who they didnt, all it does is prove what I just said.  ASU could keep it close if Arkansas played poorly

We get under-estimated by every BCS team that schedules us.  Its kind of funny

Wonder why?

Umm yeah, Thats right. Its because you're not a BCS team, and you haven't had a winning season in over 15 years.

-John Heisman-

aredwolfrazorback

yep
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

Catfish Joe

Does Arkansas have a problem not filling seats lately?

-John Heisman-

chitwnhog

Quote from: ark30inf on September 19, 2011, 06:59:01 pm
I'm an alum of ASU and also a Hog fan.  I can understand not wanting to play ASU and respect it.  What I cannot understand is why a minority of Razorbacks fans want to talk trash to a team that they will not play.  That is soooo lame. I don't talk trash about UA...I am an Arkansan and we do not play each other.  I want every team in Arkansas to win when they are not playing each other.

So either talk trash and play...or don't play and support your fellow Arkansans. 

The same goes for the minority of ASU fans who obsess on UA....UA can play or not play anybody they want....they make their own schedules just like us.  We don't have some sort of right to be scheduled by anybody.

I used to want the game....now I do not.  Its not gonna happen....so stop trashing Arkansas programs you don't play.

[/

Agreed
Quote from: ark30inf on September 19, 2011, 06:59:01 pm
I'm an alum of ASU and also a Hog fan.  I can understand not wanting to play ASU and respect it.  What I cannot understand is why a minority of Razorbacks fans want to talk trash to a team that they will not play.  That is soooo lame. I don't talk trash about UA...I am an Arkansan and we do not play each other.  I want every team in Arkansas to win when they are not playing each other.

So either talk trash and play...or don't play and support your fellow Arkansans. 

The same goes for the minority of ASU fans who obsess on UA....UA can play or not play anybody they want....they make their own schedules just like us.  We don't have some sort of right to be scheduled by anybody.

I used to want the game....now I do not.  Its not gonna happen....so stop trashing Arkansas programs you don't play.

Logic to this debate? Really???? That being said I agree...

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I've been on the play stAte side for about a year and a half now.  I know this won't be popular but we could kill 2 mockingbirds with one stone here.  UofA vs. stAte in WMS as a home game for Arkansas State, sorta like the favor ULM did to get a boost in their avg. attendance.  Little Rock gets the Hogs in town, ArkState gets a spike in countable home attendance, the schools finally play, and Fayetteville gets another home game where the school actually keeps gate revenue and concessions, plus the economic boost to the area merchants that football games bring, and LR gets that too from the historic game between the in-state schools. 

now to work on the Middle East.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 20, 2011, 03:17:19 am
I've been on the play stAte side for about a year and a half now.  I know this won't be popular but we could kill 2 mockingbirds with one stone here.  UofA vs. stAte in WMS as a home game for Arkansas State, sorta like the favor ULM did to get a boost in their avg. attendance.  Little Rock gets the Hogs in town, ArkState gets a spike in countable home attendance, the schools finally play, and Fayetteville gets another home game where the school actually keeps gate revenue and concessions, plus the economic boost to the area merchants that football games bring, and LR gets that too from the historic game between the in-state schools. 

now to work on the Middle East.

How does Fayetteville get an additional home game? It would be the same as it is now.

-John Heisman-

BoynamedWooPigSooie

yea guess you're right.  The SW Classic has eliminated away OOC games.  If that becomes a conference game then maybe the schedule would open up the flexibility to where playing in state for a road OOC game would be attractive. 

We've got to have the buy a win cupcakes, I don't care for the DII games.  Just go schedule a San Jose St., Temple, or a MAC or Big West team.  Down programs like Kansas, Minnesota, Wake Forest etc. would be solid tune ups for the SEC.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 20, 2011, 03:35:13 am
yea guess you're right.  The SW Classic has eliminated away OOC games.  If that becomes a conference game then maybe the schedule would open up the flexibility to where playing in state for a road OOC game would be attractive. 

We've got to have the buy a win cupcakes, I don't care for the DII games.  Just go schedule a San Jose St., Temple, or a MAC or Big West team.  Down programs like Kansas, Minnesota, Wake Forest etc. would be solid tune ups for the SEC.

No, there would just be an additional conference game and we'd have one less OOC game. It wouldn't have any variance on GSD.

-John Heisman-

BoynamedWooPigSooie

None of us know what the SEC will do regarding # of conference games, I see it staying at 8, but who knows. 

Catfish Joe

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 20, 2011, 03:58:27 am
None of us know what the SEC will do regarding # of conference games, I see it staying at 8, but who knows.

In what situation would it stay at eight?

-John Heisman-

pitbull1

Why should we play ASU, they can't beat Troy.  We Did!!  But if they want to play us, so be it, but they should have to pay us, rather than us paying them.  Then it might be worth it.

Pigdiana Jones

Stupid article is stupid. Let us play the Indians(yes I know it's the red wolves). We would absolutely destroy them, and they wouldn't ever want to play us again. However, one of the reasons why CBP loves it here is because the entire state is behind and supportive of the Hogs since it is all we have. If you start a divide, it would be detrimental. So, anyway, stupid article is stupid.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

M L (bassplayer)

Rey Pygsterio

Good column as usual by Jim Harris.

Arkansas should drop the number of games played at War Memorial Stadium down to one -- and it should be an annual game against ASU on Labor Day weekend.

That would be an event.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

DeltaBoy

IMO Jim needs to move to Oxford and get a job.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Go stAte on September 19, 2011, 10:17:18 pm

You have more to gain playing UCA than UA does playing ASU. I could actually see ASU/UCA fighting over a recruit or two. Not so with UA/ASU.
Go away, batin'

BenDial

I would like to play ASU one time and have Long tell Petrino to try to drop 100 on them.

Then never play them again. We would always point to that game from henceforth and say, "There. That's why."

OGR69

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'm an ASU and a Razorback fan and I don't care anything about seeing them play each other in football. BUT I wouldn't mind seeing the Hogs play them or any other Arkansas team in basketball.   I'd like to see some kind of preseason basketball tournament in Little Rock or Fayetteville with UA, ASU, UCA, UAPB, UALR. And try to draw in some other regional out of state school. MO St, Tulsa, Oklahoma, OK St, Memphis, Southern Miss.

It would be something different, I would go see it.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 20, 2011, 10:21:35 am
You have more to gain playing UCA than UA does playing ASU. I could actually see ASU/UCA fighting over a recruit or two. Not so with UA/ASU.
Doesn't ever happen.

Kicking Wing

cosmodrum

Quote from: Kicking Wing on September 20, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
Doesn't ever happen.

Maybe not, but more probable than UA fighting for players with ASU.
Go away, batin'

VenturaHog

Kicking Wing

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 20, 2011, 02:04:42 pm
It's not as long as UCA plays at a lower division.  Kids rarely go to an FCS tema if they have any offer from an FBS program.  I've only been following recruiting closely since the late 1990s and there isn't one single documented instance of a recruit choosing UCA while holding an offer from ASU.  I can only think of one or two instances of a recruit picking ASU while holding a UA offer in hand and those were more than ten years ago.

UCA will get some kids that had FBS offers at one time and they get a lot of quality transfers though and the same is true of ASU getting kids that were offered by SEC level schools but waited too long or were cut loose.  Kids just don't choose the Sun Belt over the SEC very often and the same is true for the Sun Belt and FCS.

Play or not, UA isn't going to start losing recruits to ASU and if they did then there would be much bigger problems at hand that must have caused it than one game.  Tennessee doesn't lose recruits to Memphis or MTSU.

Alos, Petrino recruits nationally and those kids would give the same weight to a loss to ASU as they would a loss to ULM or New Mexico.

Recruiting just isn't a factor in this tired old debate.

chiefsfan

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 20, 2011, 02:04:42 pm

Id actually think an Arkansas/ASU battle is more probable.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Kicking Wing on September 20, 2011, 02:30:56 pm
Play or not, UA isn't going to start losing recruits to ASU and if they did then there would be much bigger problems at hand that must have caused it than one game.  Tennessee doesn't lose recruits to Memphis or MTSU.

I agree. That's why I never cared if we play ASU or not. If we lose to ASU, either on the field or on the recruiting trail, we'd have serious problems. No offense to ASU. For the record, I'm a UCA grad that went to UA for one year of grad school.

Oh, and I chose UCA over ASU. So there's a recruiting battle ASU lost to UCA!

(for a music scholarship, so...yeah, Not the same. At all. Or even close. or even anywhere near the same in anything, period. End of story. Fin.)
Go away, batin'

Sivad

A worn out, uninformed argument in a worn out, unininformed column, from a worn out, uninformed columnist Jim Harris.

chiefsfan

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 20, 2011, 02:45:28 pm
And I disagree.

Over the last couple years ASU and Arkansas have battled for players (Final 2), and ASU and UCA have yet to battle for 1 recruit.   We may both offer a recruit, but the decision never comes down to those 2 schools

UCA is an FCS school, and not very many kids turn down FBS offers to to an FCS school

The Hogfather

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 20, 2011, 05:57:05 pm
Over the last couple years ASU and Arkansas have battled for players (Final 2), and ASU and UCA have yet to battle for 1 recruit.   We may both offer a recruit, but the decision never comes down to those 2 schools

UCA is an FCS school, and not very many kids turn down FBS offers to to an FCS school

Would you really call those things we had "battles"?  Who are you talking about other than Braylon Mitchell?

Mitchell's recruitment wasn't a battle.  It was Arkansas State, until Arkansas offered him a scholarship.  Not really a battle.