Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Harris pokes at UA for not playing ASU!

Started by DeltaBoy, September 19, 2011, 03:44:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NaturalStateReb

This is sort of like GSD.

Would it be a lot of fun?  Sure.  Will it ever happen?  Probably not.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Feralhog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 19, 2011, 03:45:47 pm
This is sort of like GSD.

Would it be a lot of fun?  Sure.  Will it ever happen?  Probably not.

WE GAIN NOTHING BY PLAYING ASU.  THE VERY NOTION IS IDIOTIC
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

wonderllama

September 19, 2011, 06:24:56 pm #3 Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:27:06 pm by wonderllama
Quote from: Feralhog on September 19, 2011, 06:05:26 pm
WE GAIN NOTHING BY PLAYING AT WMS.  THE VERY NOTION IS IDIOTIC

FTFY.  The latter does not necessarily negate the former as you can see.

aredwolfrazorback

as an asu and ua alum, i would be ok with this. definitely not every year. maybe twice a decade and put it in little rock. also, please don't let a few idiotic asu fans taint your feelings for the school, program, and its fan base. 99% of asu fans are hog fans first, just like me and you.

now...

LETS BEAT BAMY!
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

DEVIL DOG HOG

We gain nothing by playing New Mexico or Troy. With all of the media technology we have today we really don't gain anything by playing any occ team.  High School players know what college teams and coaches are doing across the nation.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

ark30inf

Arkansas State and Razorback fan.  I wish this topic would go away.  For two schools that don't play each other their fan bases sure do fantasize about it a lot.  So....NO.

The Hogfather

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on September 19, 2011, 06:31:58 pm
We gain nothing by playing New Mexico or Troy. With all of the media technology we have today we really don't gain anything by playing any occ team.  High School players know what college teams and coaches are doing across the nation.

Not only is there nothing to gain, but there's a lot to possibly lose (even if the chance of it happening are slim).

I wish everyone (including some Arkansas fans) would STFU about this.  I just hope our leaders are smart enough to continue not doing it.

GB-Razorback

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.<br /><br />Jake: Hit it.

Jon Ham

I would love to see Arkansas play ASU or UCA. It would make those OOC cupcake games a lot more interesting and keep the money in state. The crowd at the Troy game was absolutely pathetic; I guarantee you it would be a much better atmosphere if we played ASU/UCA. Seriously, what are we scared of? How many other major college football programs are scared of playing the little schools in their state?

I really don't care that much, it just bothers me that so many people are so adamantly against it to the point where they tell others with a differing opinion to STFU about it.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: NolanForAD on September 19, 2011, 06:36:03 pm
Who is Jim Harris, and does he know we play Bama this week?   ... And what is Arkansas State?

Game. Set. Match.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

The Hogfather

Quote from: Jon Ham on September 19, 2011, 06:40:46 pm
It would make those OOC cupcake games a lot more interesting and keep the money in state.

#1  Would it really make the OOC cupcake games more interesting?  A 44 point beatdown is a 44 point beatdown.

#2  The money that ASU gets for playing Virginia Tech comes back into the state, just like if Arkansas paid ASU or they split the money, etc.

RAF

I would love to see Arkansas play ASU or UCA. It would make those OOC cupcake games a lot more interesting and keep the money in state. The crowd at the Troy game was absolutely pathetic; I guarantee you it would be a much better atmosphere if we played ASU/UCA. Seriously, what are we scared of? How many other major college football programs are scared of playing the little schools in their state?

I really don't care that much, it just bothers me that so many people are so adamantly against it to the point where they tell others with a differing opinion to STFU about it.
None.  But that implies that UA is "scared" of ASU or UCA, which make absolutely zero sense.

I've literally never heard of a good reason for us to play another in-state school.  "Because everyone else does it" is probably about the most stupid reason to do anything.  The "keep the money instate" is a red herring that doesn't stand up to scrutiny, because a) it's all private money, and b) ASU actually makes more money by playing Auburn, Va. Tech, Nebraska, ect.... because they all pay more money for their rent-a-wins than UA does.

ark30inf

This is assuming that ASU fans actually want to play.  I don't and I think more and more ASU fans don't as time goes by.  As far as I am concerned ASU has nothing to gain from it.

phadedhawg

I'm not afraid of ASU but most people on this board are...

It just baffles me...

56Hog

Tell'ya what Jim. you want to see ASU play Arkansas?  Then YOU lead the drive to give both teams a modern 75K stadium in central Arkansas that justifies an SEC team playing two home dates a year within its confines.

Do that and I will willingly support one of those games being ASU-Arkansas.

There, now Arkansas has something to gain.

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

aredwolfrazorback

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 19, 2011, 06:48:50 pm

It just baffles me...

I know. its like some people here seriously think asu could win. and even if they did, do you REALLY think a potential recruit is going to choose stAte over ua? you are dreaming if so.
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

ark30inf

It just baffles me...

It just baffles me...

I'm an alum of ASU and also a Hog fan.  I can understand not wanting to play ASU and respect it.  What I cannot understand is why a minority of Razorbacks fans want to talk trash to a team that they will not play.  That is soooo lame. I don't talk trash about UA...I am an Arkansan and we do not play each other.  I want every team in Arkansas to win when they are not playing each other.

So either talk trash and play...or don't play and support your fellow Arkansans. 

The same goes for the minority of ASU fans who obsess on UA....UA can play or not play anybody they want....they make their own schedules just like us.  We don't have some sort of right to be scheduled by anybody.

I used to want the game....now I do not.  Its not gonna happen....so stop trashing Arkansas programs you don't play.

gostAte

Quote from: ark30inf on September 19, 2011, 06:47:56 pm
This is assuming that ASU fans actually want to play.  I don't and I think more and more ASU fans don't as time goes by.  As far as I am concerned ASU has nothing to gain from it.

Quote from: dxf04 on September 19, 2011, 06:46:40 pm
None.  But that implies that UA is "scared" of ASU or UCA, which make absolutely zero sense.

I've literally never heard of a good reason for us to play another in-state school.  "Because everyone else does it" is probably about the most stupid reason to do anything.  The "keep the money instate" is a red herring that doesn't stand up to scrutiny, because a) it's all private money, and b) ASU actually makes more money by playing Auburn, Va. Tech, Nebraska, ect.... because they all pay more money for their rent-a-wins than UA does.

I hear y'all paid Troy $900,000. That's pretty much the going rate.

I don't think A-State fans are clamoring for this game to happen as much as you think. If it happens, it happens.

The Hogfather

September 19, 2011, 07:02:57 pm #19 Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:07:43 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: gostAte on September 19, 2011, 06:59:56 pm

I don't think A-State fans are clamoring for this game to happen as much as you think. If it happens, it happens.

What's your point?  $900,000 to Troy going out of the state and then whatever you got for playing ** Tech coming back in the state.  And we're not paying a state school that COULD, though not likely, take some of our limited in-state resources/talent.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

56Hog

Quote from: aredwolfrazorback on September 19, 2011, 06:56:57 pm
I know. its like some people here seriously think asu could win. and even if they did, do you REALLY think a potential recruit is going to choose stAte over ua? you are dreaming if so.

The way I figure it, it's a no-lose deal.  UA coaches will have required clause in their contract that reads a loss to ASU is automatic termination for cause.  Would put some real spice in every season opener.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

HF#1

No reason to play ASU.  Why would you want to make them better?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ark30inf

The people who talk trash on both sides are a minority.

When we went to the New Orleans Bowl the posters on this message board were for the most part very supportive and rooting for us.  It was appreciated.

ark30inf

Quote from: hogfan#1 on September 19, 2011, 07:09:59 pm
No reason to play ASU.  Why would you want to make them better?

Because you don't play them, your tax dollars support it, and the kids that it attend it are fellow Arkansans.  That is why I, as an ASU alum, want UA to get better.

RAF

$800K.  ASU got more than $1 million each for playing Auburn, Nebraska, and Va. Tech.  Frankly, ASU is not in a position where they can really sneeze at hundreds of thousands of dollars that they'd be losing, especially since they've been using academic funds to subsidize the athletic department for a few years now.

HF#1

Quote from: ark30inf on September 19, 2011, 07:11:25 pm
Because you don't play them, your tax dollars support it, and the kids that it attend it are fellow Arkansans.  That is why I, as an ASU alum, want UA to get better.

Why do you want to make them better?  When you are the top dog, why would you want to give the smaller dogs the opportunity to be as big as you?

It's simple.  We aren't Mississippi, we aren't Alabama, we aren't Oklahoma, we aren't Texas.  We are Arkansas and the only game in town.  It is what it is.  No reason to change it.

Tusks

Hey Jim.....the hogs are about to play Bama.....the first road block to a BCS or maybe even a BCSNC....ASU doesn't qualify as being on the hogs mind or a topic of discussion.

Thanks for the try but maybe look at the schedule and see whats up next time.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hawghiggs

I would like to see the UCA,ASU,and the UofA play each other. It doesn't have to be football. One of those preseason basketball tournements would be great. All women sports just to help drive down cost.

Razorrected

SquidBilly

If the Hogs played the Red Wolves how many Red Wolves fans would be in attendance?  I venture to say every Red Wolf fan is an even bigger Razorback fan.  The opposite however is not true because most Hog fans don't give ASU a second thought.  The only reason the Wolves draw any fans is because there are people in the Eastern part of the state that can't/won't make the drive to NWA so they go to a Red Wolves game to get their football fix.

codeHog

1. Keeping the money in the state is an old and stupid argument the loser in Jonesboro always pull out when they come crying

2. ASU would destroy the Hogs if they could, no Hog fan would want to help them out in any way

3. A good fan is excited to see the Hogs, not wanting to see a way to divide the state

ark30inf

Quote from: hogfan#1 on September 19, 2011, 07:14:47 pm
Why do you want to make them better?  When you are the top dog, why would you want to give the smaller dogs the opportunity to be as big as you?

It's simple.  We aren't Mississippi, we aren't Alabama, we aren't Oklahoma, we aren't Texas.  We are Arkansas and the only game in town.  It is what it is.  No reason to change it.

You are like the guy sitting in a boat not worried about the hole at the other end....because it is at the other end.

I support all of the schools in this state....I particularly would like to see them all improve academically and be well-respected.  I would like to see eastern and southern Arkansas have an educated workforce to the point where businesses will locate there.  I would also like to see a year with a Southland Championship, a Sun Belt Championship, and a National Championship.

ark30inf

Quote from: codeHog on September 19, 2011, 07:21:29 pm
1. Keeping the money in the state is an old and stupid argument the loser in Jonesboro always pull out when they come crying

2. ASU would destroy the Hogs if they could, no Hog fan would want to help them out in any way

3. A good fan is excited to see the Hogs, not wanting to see a way to divide the state

This is the attitude that makes us 49th in so many things.

ark30inf

Quote from: ATLpiggie on September 19, 2011, 07:20:27 pm
I venture to say every Red Wolf fan is an even bigger Razorback fan. 

That would be an incorrect statement.

The Hogfather

Quote from: ark30inf on September 19, 2011, 07:23:40 pm
This is the attitude that makes us 49th in so many things.

No, it is the attitude that keeps Arkansas as the #1 university in the state of Arkansas....by far.

ADHog

This is such a horribly written article I can't even finish it. Did this guy somehow manage to get into college or the 8th grade for that matter?

The Hogfather

Quote from: ark30inf on September 19, 2011, 07:21:47 pm
I would also like to see a year with a Southland Championship, a Sun Belt Championship, and a National Championship.

Arkansas playing the lesser thans doesn't do anything to help this.

56Hog

Quote from: ark30inf on September 19, 2011, 07:10:24 pm
The people who talk trash on both sides are a minority.

When we went to the New Orleans Bowl the posters on this message board were for the most part very supportive and rooting for us.  It was appreciated.

The realities of what is about to take place with the division of FBS into 70 or so wealthy schools running quasi-pro programs means that the gap between the SEC and the Sunbelt is about to get bigger.  As long as the two groups play the upset possibility exists but no well coached superconference team should avoid playing smaller schools.  As for recruiting, I'd just as soon see any Arkansas kid who doesn't want the challenge of being a Razorback choose to play for ASU as for an Auburn or an Ole Miss.

Anyway, Arkansas' situation is unique.  Rivals tend to be either polar opposites or mirror images of each other.  Arkansas is so unique in fact that it is one of those rare schools that seems destined to never have a real rival.  That may change in the years to come with the expansion of the SEC but if a true rivalry does ever emerge it will be with one of our SEC bretheren.

Ultimately, a willingness to play ASU or even one day UCA from time to time will be a measure the program is really growing into what we want it to be:  An SEC powerhouse with just the appropriate touch of self confidence and more than a little arrogance.

ark30inf

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 19, 2011, 07:16:47 pm
I would like to see the UCA,ASU,and the UofA play each other. It doesn't have to be football. One of those preseason basketball tournements would be great. All women sports just to help drive down cost.

I used to want to see the two play.  No longer.  Four agricultural schools were founded that later became ASU, UAM, ATU, and SAU.  ASU was the first to gain university status (with objections from UA).  We were in the AIC but left the AIC schools behind, joined the Southland, and then left them behind and made our way into FBS...none of the others did.  Some of the teams we struggled against were Lamar (disbanded football), UT-Arlington (disbanded football), New Orleans (dropped to Division III), McNeese (never moved), etc. 

No, we are not in the SEC but we got what we do have the hard way and left a lot of others behind.  So I don't have any need for approval or to have a daddy like OSU or be a tag-a-long like Baylor or somebody.  We got what we have on our own without much support from the rest of the state.  Don't...need....a....game....with.....UA.

Y'all can trash talk if you want....but it is really lame to trash talk if you are not willing to play.

By the way.....Go Hogs!!!!

El Puerco

ark30inf

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 19, 2011, 07:28:50 pm
Arkansas playing the lesser thans doesn't do anything to help this.

Don't....want....to.....play.....you

codeHog

for years, Harris has dreamed of this.....he was playing with himself as he wrote it

Bacons Rebellion

Instate rivalries are unhealthy. Worse than that. They are sick. They affect who is friends with who. They affect who can get jobs where.

I went to work in Mississippi and soon realized that the Mississippi State grads did not trust the Ole Miss grads and vice versa. Because of football. NOT because of the school. I thought they were kidding at first. I mean, it was MISSISSIPPI, for cryin' out loud, where football had died 20 years before. Where one of the teams was who we used as a mere tune up for the SWC. How could they care? But they hated each other. It was amazing.

I used to do audits of facilities in Alabama. People working there hated each other and would assign blame based on someone's school. Any school? No, just two schools. Guess which two.

It's not as bad here in Virginia, where the adults grew up when UVA and VT were both doormats. But you see it in the kids, who grew up when both had become respectable in football.

I hope Arkansas State goes 11-2 this year and Arkansas goes 14-0.

Arkansas vs. Arkansas State. Just leave the closet shut.

ark30inf

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 19, 2011, 07:54:02 pm

I hope Arkansas State goes 11-2 this year and Arkansas goes 14-0.

Arkansas vs. Arkansas State. Just leave the closet shut.

This is the place I have come to as well.  I have two programs I am proud of for different reasons....and I am having fun seeing UCA do well against the schools that we used to play.  I consider it a blessing.

HF#1

I am with some of the posters on here wondering why one of the more high profile Arkansas writers is writing about this crap during Bama week.  Not that I'm shocked or anything.

woodlawnhog

Move along.....Nothing here to see.  Move along.

chiefsfan

Some thoughts to add to this

1.  The junk made up about 99 percent of ASU being Razorback fans is just stupid.  We have a wide variety of 2nd favorite teams we support...  Arkansas makes up a percentage of that.  Please remember that ASU has a fairly large alum base outside of the state of Arkansas

2.  This is a stupid debate, that I really wish would die.  Id love for the schools to play.  But I dont obsess over it.  Im just as happy getting a million dollars from Oregon and Nebraska

3.  25,000 Jim harris?  Really?  The game will likely be the highest attended game in the history of ASU stadium.   The only way 25K show up is if it rains

4.  The whole concept of instate pride is stupid.  I dont give two shakes what happens to most other in state schools.  I dont care what happens to UCA, Henderson State  Arkansas Tech  UAPB, whatever, because they are not in the same conference as ASU and have no ties to that school.  They can all have their football programs shut down for NCAA rules violations and I wouldnt bat an eye.  Likewise, I have no interest in any player from this state who goes off somewhere else.  They are the enemy.   

That being said, go hogs this weekend.  I hate Bama
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HF#1

Quote from: woodlawnhog on September 19, 2011, 08:09:49 pm
Move along.....Nothing here to see.  Move along.

You can't say that after the thread is 2 pages.  It doesn't have the same affect.

ark30inf

Quote from: hogfan#1 on September 19, 2011, 08:08:43 pm
I am with some of the posters on here wondering why one of the more high profile Arkansas writers is writing about this crap during Bama week.  Not that I'm shocked or anything.

He has to write about the ASU/UCA game and has to somehow make it relevant to Razorback fans so his article will get talked about.  In other words, he just trolled ya.