Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which In-state match up would you rather see?

Started by ADAM_713, July 31, 2008, 10:11:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Which would you rather see?

UA Vs. UCA
49 (17.6%)
UA Vs. ASU
215 (77.1%)
UA Vs. UAPB
15 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 264

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgvillain on August 02, 2008, 06:51:46 pm
$150 a ticket?  80,000 folks?  Maybe for year one.  After a year or two people are not going to pay that much to see a middle of the road Sunbelt team get killed by the UofA.

Agreed. that's why I said $50.00 per ticket.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

1highhog

I did'nt vote because there were not enough teams to vote for.  I'd like to see A.S.U play U.C.A.  I think that would be a hotly contested game.

1highhog

I think both of these teams are about equal in talent and I'd like it to be a home and home series between them.

1highhog

I really don't think there is any team in the state that would be a good fit for the Hogs, if you want a good matchup every year then it needs to be a home and home series, and honestly no team deserves that chance against the Hogs.

GuvHog

August 02, 2008, 07:08:43 pm #154 Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:50:59 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: donewithdale on August 02, 2008, 07:04:15 pm
It would be 50K for WMS as students wouldn't have to pay that.  And I agree that the interest in the series would die quickly.  It was a hypothetical in order to show how unreasonable and unlikely it is that funds can be raised without a huge private donation.

Under my proposal, the students would have to pay full price for this one game. No one would get a discount.

That's why it would be called: "The Governers Cup Classic"
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

elksnort

A second ASU versus University of Arkansas question:

I am a Razorback fan first but would feel strange rooting against ASU? And would feel like a traitor to root for ASU?

I have loved the Hogs my whole life. I live in Jonesboro. My father played for ASU.

In summary, I am being true to myself and am rooting for the Hogs.

Does any one else feel this way?

DrSwineESQ

August 02, 2008, 11:22:51 pm #156 Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:30:33 pm by DrSwineESQ
Elksnort, like you, I'm a Hog fan first and foremost. But as long as the Hogs and ASU don't play one another, I'll pull for ASU too (and UCA, etc., etc.).  Because ASU and UCA are not competitors to the Hogs right now, it makes cheering for them easy--if that ever changes I would simply write ASU off. 

I was in the Arena (as a member of the hogwild band) when the Razorbacks came back and beat ASU in the NIT all those years ago.  The ASU fans I saw after the game were angry and quite nasty to be honest. At that time, I had no idea how much venom that some (hopefully, not all) of the ASU fans had for the hogs.  It blew me away, and it was a while before I pulled for ASU to win at anything.  If UA ever plays ASU in football on a regular basis, I think an ugly rift will form quickly between Hog Fans and ASU Fans.  Not sure what that means for either school. 

Brownie Tuggle

I would want UA to play ASU. But I'd pull for the Hogs. I pull for The Tire & Wheel School in Jonesboro against everyone else they'd play. I'd like to see them play because I'm tired of seeing the Hogs play the likes of Troy and North Texas from the Sun Belt. UA looks likes hipercrits (spelling) when they do this. It's like them saying, I date men, but Im not gay!!!!!

DrSwineESQ

August 03, 2008, 10:07:10 am #158 Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:10:50 am by DrSwineESQ
Given a UofA v ASU matchup, it's cool that you'd still pull for ASU when they were playing anyone other than the Hogs.  I know that I would not, and its based on experience.  I still remember my feelings after playing ASU in Barnhill over 20 years ago.  There may be plenty of folks who treat a match up like you say you will, Brownie, and that's great.  But I promise, there will be plenty of folks like me, too.  Can I ask, did you go to school at ASU?

I mean it when I say I want ASU and UCA to succeed and gain more recognition, I also want the UofA to succeed and gain more recognition--the U of A is my first priority.  What I do not want is ASU or UCA to gain success and recognition at the expense of the UofA.  I've read a lot of arguments on here talking about how the game would help ASU (or UCA).  I agree, I think it would. But I haven't read a single argument that convinces me the match up would help the UofA.  Even if the match up wouldn't hurt the Hogs, I fail to see why the Hogs should do anything in the future that doesn't help build the program.  If that means scheduling games with tougher opponents than Troy and N. Texas--so be it.  The point is, until a game with ASU will help the Hogs, I'm opposed to it.  The UofA built its program by playing and beating out-of-state schools, ASU can do the same. 

elksnort

There are many good points on this thread. My own selfish dilema (sp) is that as big as a Razorback fan that I am, I would feel strange rooting against ASU. This would be MY REASON for not wanting to see them play.
Frankly, it looks rather silly seeing the U of A play all the other Sun Belt teams and not playing ASU.
A friend of my father's here in Jonesboro played basketball for the Hogs, but he even said that he would be just a little uncomfortable rooting against ASU.

ASU does have a certain core of a$$ hole fans that would root for Red China before rooting for Arkansas. And this to me, is unacceptable.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 10:11:37 am
Don't if any of these games could happen in the next few years, but if they could...  I think instate play could be a very good thing for all of our programs.

Vs. ASU is the only real probability. With the others we have everything to lose and nothing to gain and to some extent, the same could be said for ASU, but at least they are a full fledged Div I team.
Go Hogs Go!

Adram

it's so stupid we have to have this conversation year after year.  If UA plays other Sun Belt teams and the occasional D1-AA team, there is no reason at all that they shouldn't play ASU, unless the powers that be at UA are actually scared of something.  People in Jonesboro are Hog fans as well.  UA wouldn't be losing any fans b/c of the game.  Of course it would be probably the only time Jonesboro fans would root against the Hogs, but if UA would quit turning their noses up at ASU and their fans, they would probably gain even more fans on the eastern border.

Richard_white

Quote from: Adram on August 03, 2008, 11:55:32 am
it's so stupid we have to have this conversation year after year.  If UA plays other Sun Belt teams and the occasional D1-AA team, there is no reason at all that they shouldn't play ASU, unless the powers that be at UA are actually scared of something.  People in Jonesboro are Hog fans as well.  UA wouldn't be losing any fans b/c of the game.  Of course it would be probably the only time Jonesboro fans would root against the Hogs, but if UA would quit turning their noses up at ASU and their fans, they would probably gain even more fans on the eastern border.

You mean if we play a game against Ar St, you think we might be able to move a home game to Jonesboro?

Adram

Quote from: Richard_white on August 03, 2008, 11:59:59 am
You mean if we play a game against Ar St, you think we might be able to move a home game to Jonesboro?

hahaha.  nah.  that would be interesting though.

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: DrSwineESQ on August 03, 2008, 10:07:10 am
Given a UofA v ASU matchup, it's cool that you'd still pull for ASU when they were playing anyone other than the Hogs.  I know that's I would not, and its based on experience.  I still remember my feelings after playing ASU in Barnhill over 20 years ago.  There may be plenty of folks who treat a match up like you say you will, Brownie, and that's great.  But I promise, there will be plenty of folks like me, too.  Can I ask, did you go to school at ASU?

I mean it when I say I want ASU and UCA to succeed and gain more recognition, I also want the UofA to succeed and gain more recognition--the U of A is my first priority.  What I do not want is ASU or UCA to gain success and recognition at the expense of the UofA.  I've read a lot of arguments on here talking about how the game would help ASU (or UCA).  I agree, I think it would. But I haven't read a single argument that convinces me the match up would help the UofA.  Even if the match up wouldn't hurt the Hogs, I fail to see why the Hogs should do anything in the future that doesn't help build the program.  If that means scheduling games with tougher opponents than Troy and N. Texas--so be it.  The point is, until a game with ASU will help the Hogs, I'm opposed to it.  [ The UofA built its program by playing and beating out-of-state schools, ASU can do the same.] 

I agree with some of your points on ASU vs UA. No, I didnt attend ASU. I was at another fine institution in Clark County until I had a small infraction with a Beer Truck. But that's another story.
Now you say Arkansas built it's program by playing out of State Schools? What a SWC Schedule? Texas was the only school worth anything in the SWC we played. TAMU would be decent every other leap year. SMU had thier little Pony Express cash flow team. We played a pitiful Non-Conference Schedule with the likes of Tulsa, Wichita St., Navy, Citidal, UNLV, Memphis, Cal Berkley (when they sucked), Colorado, St, Okie St, and others. You dont build your program on teams like that. We had USC in in the early 70's and that was it until Bowl Season. Arkansas benifited by beating the brakes off all of the SWC teams except Texas.

SLC

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on August 03, 2008, 03:54:03 am
I would want UA to play ASU. But I'd pull for the Hogs. I pull for The Tire & Wheel School in Jonesboro against everyone else they'd play. I'd like to see them play because I'm tired of seeing the Hogs play the likes of Troy and North Texas from the Sun Belt. UA looks likes hipercrits (spelling) when they do this. It's like them saying, I date men, but Im not gay!!!!!

Why would you play ASU?  Because we play other Sun Belt schools?  When the Hogs play other Sun Belt schools there is media coverage of Arkansas's win in that school's state.  Troy is in AL, North Texas is in TX.  If our coaches are recruiting a kid out of state they will notice those wins.  Play an in-state school and those kids do not see anything. 

I simply do not see how playing ASU or UCA does anything for the Hogs. 
As and Arkansan I would like to the see the other schools do well, but that is a very casual interest.  I certainly would not support a situation where those schools are benefited at the detriment of the UofA.  Playing those schools sends the wrong message to in-state recruits, it legitimizes those schools. 

Irregardless of the benefits to ASU or UCA, what's in it for the Hogs? 

That is all those who want this game have to do.  Prove it is in the best interest of the Razorback program.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

SLC

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on August 03, 2008, 01:04:23 pm
I agree with some of your points on ASU vs UA. No, I didnt attend ASU. I was at another fine institution in Clark County until I had a small infraction with a Beer Truck. But that's another story.
Now you say Arkansas built it's program by playing out of State Schools? What a SWC Schedule? Texas was the only school worth anything in the SWC we played. TAMU would be decent every other leap year. SMU had thier little Pony Express cash flow team. We played a pitiful Non-Conference Schedule with the likes of Tulsa, Wichita St., Navy, Citidal, UNLV, Memphis, Cal Berkley (when they sucked), Colorado, St, Okie St, and others. You dont build your program on teams like that. We had USC in in the early 70's and that was it until Bowl Season. Arkansas benifited by beating the brakes off all of the SWC teams except Texas.

Today Oklahoma, Ohio State and USC are benefitting by playing schedules where there are only 2 or 3 tough games a year.  Seems to be working well for them.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

DrSwineESQ

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on August 03, 2008, 01:04:23 pm

LMAO, on the beer truck comment...your funny. 

My point (much like what you just pointed out), and I apologize for not being a little clearer, is that Arkansas built its program by playing out of state programs (conference and non-conference) and ASU can do the same.  ASU is scheduling big teams every year, if they start winning, they'll get the support they're looking for.  ASU doesn't need a game with the hogs, that's just an excuse IMHO.  And like I said earlier, until someone can demonstrate how the game benefits the UofA, I don't care what it would do for ASU.  As far as I'm concerned, the U of A should be consistently looking for ways to improve its program and increase its exposure.  While it's only my opinion, I see playing ASU as the antithesis of that.  But you know, I totally appreciate where you're coming from.  WPS!

Kicking Wing

Quote from: 1highhog on August 02, 2008, 07:02:54 pm
I did'nt vote because there were not enough teams to vote for.  I'd like to see A.S.U play U.C.A.  I think that would be a hotly contested game.
2005.  UTM-36 UCA-35, ASU-56 UTM-7  2007:  ASU beats Memphis and SMU and loses heartbreakers to Texas and So. Miss., UCA loses to La. Tech 28-7.

The talent level is not even close to equal.  Hate to break that to the UCA fans on here that harken back to those close games 13 years ago.  By that logic ASU is on the same level as Arkansas because they "almost" beat them in basketball the one time they played.  They're not.

DriveByHogger

Quote from: razorbackred on July 31, 2008, 11:17:24 am
None of the above!!!

I would much rather play Tulsa every year vs any of these schools, especially as long as Gus is there. 

There is only 1 progam that matters in this state so why should they take a step down to make a few people happy?

Totally agree! Why help ASU out?
She ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown!

astate

ASU just needs to concentrate on ASU and learn from the UA.  The UA is only interested in what benefits them, ie. the UA learned from the USC games that scheduling a top tier non conference football team only leads to humiliation.

Forget about the UA.  Even if ASU were to beat UA nobody outside of Arkansas cares. ASU needs to develop its football program and concentrate in the long run on being no stranger to the top 25.  If that ever happens, and it would take a long time, the UA would eventually want to play ASU because if they didn't it would be obvious that the UA is just afraid.  That would hurt recruiting.

75grad

NCAA=Need Cash Attend Auburn

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: 75grad on August 05, 2008, 11:36:24 am
None of the above

I'm right there with you.  Nothing to gain, lots to lose.  Plus it could split our fanbase.  We don't have enough people living in the state for that to happen.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Doyle Hograves

I'd like to see Gus Malzahn's Springdale Bulldogs with Mitch Mustain and Damian Williams against Houston Nutt's Arkansas Razorbacks. ;)
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

HogwildinMonroe

August 05, 2008, 12:34:17 pm #174 Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:37:59 pm by HogwildinMonroe
Quote from: GUVHOG on July 31, 2008, 12:10:47 pm

You make good points. However, ULM is the only one of those teams to recently beat BAMA in Tuscaloosa. THAT qualifies ULM to be the #2 team in my book.

ULM is not second best in Louisiana.  LaTech also beat Bama the last two times they played.  The last Louisiana that Bama beat was LSU in 2002.

Kicking Wing

ULM was the second best team in LA last year for sure, but not historically.