Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which In-state match up would you rather see?

Started by ADAM_713, July 31, 2008, 10:11:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Which would you rather see?

UA Vs. UCA
49 (17.6%)
UA Vs. ASU
215 (77.1%)
UA Vs. UAPB
15 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 264

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: Kicking Wing on July 31, 2008, 09:04:41 pm
Obviously you didn't read my post and you weren't really paying attention the last few years.  ASU never had a "series" with UCA but they did at least schedule them and BEAT them.  They also offered a game to UAPB several times. 

UCA was DIVISION 2 throughout the 90s and first part of this decade.  Those games couldn't be counted AT ALL.  Joe Hollis did in fact lose to a couple of D1AAs, but Roberts hasn't come close to doing so.  The last time he played a D1AA he beat them something like 56-7 (the same year that team beat UCA in 2005).

ASU has played UCA in several sports since UCA moved up to the same level in those sports and they schedule other teams from the state but that doesn't mean they are going to play UCA in every sport during every year.

You guys have Tulsa on the schedule this year whihc should be plenty of D1 football for UCA.

And you, sir, obviously didn't read mine.  I will give you that there wasn't a "series."  I was not aware of how many games were scheduled.  I do know that UCA was turned down when they approached ASU about playing them after the 1997 game.

The argument was that they were DII and the games would not count at all.  If ASU was so worried about games counting for bowl status, why did they continue to schedule at least one, and sometimes two D-IAA opponents EVERY YEAR. You yourself stated that those games counted only every FOUR YEARS.  It had nothing to do with the games counting toward being bowl eligible.

My point never was that UCA wants to play D1 schools (although they do),  it was that they wanted to play ASU and were rebuffed for the same reasons UA gives to ASU, "nothing to gain."
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

majp51

Good Heavens. I would not want to see the U of A waste their time with any of them.

Do I think they would be a better choice that schools like WIU? That is arguable, but I have a problem with patsy OOC schools (except for homecoming) anyway. And at least with WIU, we get some exposure in another state to help in recruiting.

There are 4 reasons to schedule a school

1) Recruiting benefits playing a school will give us.
2) Money playing said school will give us.
3) Easy Win.
4) National Exposure (arguably this is recruiting as well.)

You need at least 2 of the 4 to make it worthwhile, and need.

ASU, UAPB and UCA at the moment only give us 1 of the 4 requisite (option 3), If they agree to always play us in Fayetteville you could argue We also get #2, but my guess is they would demmand to split gate receipts, which means we can throw that out.

Now if we continue the grand tradition of doing nothing but scheduling 3-4 patsies per year (ala the HDN years) then sure maybe add one.

But if the adding of Tulsa and A&M is a trend, then I don't want to waste a scheduling spot for a team that we are essentially subsidizing.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: East Clintwood on August 01, 2008, 06:58:08 am
I see no reason for the UofA to play any in state school.  There is absolutely no upside for the Razorbacks.  Eventually it would just lead to a split fanbase like that in Mississippi and other states.

I do think that UCA will emerge to be the 2nd best team in the state in just a few years, pushing ASU down to 3rd or 4th (behind UAPB).
That's ridiculous.  What do you base that on?  UCA's one game against La. Tech where they put up 7 points?  UCA having 1000 more students than ASU?  FIU and UNT have 3 times as many students as ASU and nearly double UA.  Enrollment means squat in athletics.  ASU is by no stretch UA, but I go to UCA games and they are not anywhere near ASU either.  UA can sneak up and beat LSU, ASU is better than many C-USA programs now and UCA is a solid Southland team.  UCA has a long way to "catch" ASU and will likely need ASU's help to do so because the Sun Belt is the only feasible conference geographically for UCA to move up into and you can't move up without a conference very well.

Good luck with Tulsa and if you are at the Henderson St. Game I will probably see you there.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: pig_sooie27 on August 01, 2008, 09:54:57 am
And you, sir, obviously didn't read mine.  I will give you that there wasn't a "series."  I was not aware of how many games were scheduled.  I do know that UCA was turned down when they approached ASU about playing them after the 1997 game.

The argument was that they were DII and the games would not count at all.  If ASU was so worried about games counting for bowl status, why did they continue to schedule at least one, and sometimes two D-IAA opponents EVERY YEAR. You yourself stated that those games counted only every FOUR YEARS.  It had nothing to do with the games counting toward being bowl eligible.

My point never was that UCA wants to play D1 schools (although they do),  it was that they wanted to play ASU and were rebuffed for the same reasons UA gives to ASU, "nothing to gain."
Again, you could count one every four years but you didn't know when you were going to need that game to count for bowl eligibility so most teams scheduled at least one every year.  As it happened, ASU used that 56-7 win over UTM to be eligible for the 2005 New Orleans Bowl.  UCA would not have counted in ANY of those years and if ASU had scheduled UCA in 2005 they would have been ineligible for a bowl.

You can't win this argument.

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: Kicking Wing on August 01, 2008, 10:57:37 am
Again, you could count one every four years but you didn't know when you were going to need that game to count for bowl eligibility so most teams scheduled at least one every year.  As it happened, ASU used that 56-7 win over UTM to be eligible for the 2005 New Orleans Bowl.  UCA would not have counted in ANY of those years and if ASU had scheduled UCA in 2005 they would have been ineligible for a bowl.

I'll agree with you.  Although I thought you had to designate which year you would use the D-1AA game and playing two ('02 nad '03) in a year pretty much makes one of those games a throw away anyhow. (I'm sure someone backed out.)  They do keep other decent non-conf games.

I'll also agree with you on your avatar.  Elisha Cuthbert Rocks!

astate

Quote from: pig_sooie27 on July 31, 2008, 12:53:09 pm

Had a contract to play when I was at UCA beginning in '96.  ASU had to score on the last play of the game and send it to overtime to win (at home).  They couldn't stomach that they very well could lose more than they won vs UCA and cancelled the series.  Apparently they saw they had "nothing to gain and a lot more to lose."  In my mind they have no gripe about UA not wanting to play them. 

Quote from: Klynt21 on July 31, 2008, 01:08:52 pm
Tired of hearing the ASU/UA arguement. It won't happen. Honestly why should UA schedule ASU? That would basically be throwing ASU a favor and why should they do that. In 95 & 96 ASU played UCA for a couple of games and almost got beat by them ,35-34, so ASU hasn't scheduled them since. So I'm tired of hearing ASU fans wanting an in-state game. But if there had to be one I would say UCA n' ASU. Red Wolves wouldn't do that cause there's nothing to gain and a lot to lose from that. Sound familiar?  Although if UAPB continues to improve then maybe a UA-UAPB or UAPB-ASU game would be a cool in-state rivalry. As Far as UA goes though, they are in their own class as of now so until someone steps close to that level, I'll take Big XII OOC games instead.
Sorry Started rambling (its early)

Ok lets see if I understand these two arguments.  ASU DID play UCA on two occasions.  ASU won on both occasions and now they should regularly play each other?  UA has NEVER played ASU and yet still refuses to play. 

Saying that UCA ALMOST beat ASU is supposed to have some significance?  By that logic then ASU ALMOST beat 5th ranked Texas last year.  Does that suggest that ASU and Texas are equivalent?  ASU ALMOST beat UA in basketball the last time time they played.  Are ASU and UA equivalent in basketball?  Should they now play every year?

Your logic is stupid!!!

dixiehog

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!

astate

ASU has NEVER used the excuse "nothing to gain, everything to lose" concerning playing UCA.  That is the exclusive excuse of UA and no one else has rights to that excuse. ASU would have to get the express permission of the UA and we all know thats not going to happen.  Competion is the absolute lowest level of priority for the UA when scheduling a non-conference game.  Money, recruiting, etc all take precendence.

hogsanity

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 31, 2008, 07:57:41 pm
This is not true as the game would always be played in WMS. ASU would make far more money
by always playing this game in WMS than they would at home (Using my proposal of course).

Thats the worst idea of all!  Why not make ASu play this game just like they do any other time they go play a BCS school.  They are a rent a win.  When they played Texas last year did Texas move the game to San Antoni or Waco?  Does LSu plau ULM or Tulane in Shreveport?  IF and when AR plays ASu it whould be in RRS, where 70k+ can go and watch.  We should never play them ( or anyone else for that matter 0 in LR, and we shuld never play them in Jonesboro. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: astate on August 01, 2008, 11:19:25 am
Ok lets see if I understand these two arguments.  ASU DID play UCA on two occasions.  ASU won on both occasions and now they should regularly play each other?  UA has NEVER played ASU and yet still refuses to play. 

Saying that UCA ALMOST beat ASU is supposed to have some significance?  By that logic then ASU ALMOST beat 5th ranked Texas last year.  Does that suggest that ASU and Texas are equivalent?  ASU ALMOST beat UA in basketball the last time time they played.  Are ASU and UA equivalent in basketball?  Should they now play every year?

Your logic is stupid!!!

Read subsequent posts before you say our logic is stupid.  I could care less if ASU and UCA play.  My point is about the reasons they don't play and it's for much of the same reasons that UA won't play ASU.  It just took a very close call for ASU to realize that they stood to take a step back if they lost to UCA.  (Kicking Winds DII argument is sound, and probably is the major reason, but playing 2 D-1AA teams in a year takes a little luster off of it because one of them wouldn't count.)

cbjagman

Quote from: OnYourToes on July 31, 2008, 10:32:24 am
Monte Coleman, the same Monte that played at UCA and then the Washington Redskins for almost a decade?
Yes, he is the "Full Monty".

Bama Hog™

Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

Dutch Creek Hog

Quote from: saturnthegiant on August 01, 2008, 06:11:34 am
I'm also a diehard Hog fan, but also support the Red Wolves.  I think anyone who says that ASU compares everything they do to the UA is wrong, blindly wrong.

Nah, ASU students and alums definitely DO compare themselves to U of A and Fayetteville all the time.  I've heard it too many times.  It may not be prevalent, but its definitely common.

QuoteThe program at ASU is doing just fine without any help from UA.  They are building each year, it's just that ASU is ignored.

Ignored by whom?  Their own students?  Their own alums who won't go to football games?  No, they are ignored by the University of Arkansas, its alums and its fans, which speaks to what I said earlier about the whole comparisons to UA phenomenon.  We ignore plenty of other smaller D-1 programs.  ASU is the only one that takes it personally.

QuoteWhy do you support the Hogs?

Because I went to school and graduated from the University of Arkansas.  Both my parents and my older brother did, too.

QuoteWhat is it about the Razorback football program that strikes a chord in your heart?

See above.

QuoteIs it because they represent your state?  And do it well?  For me that is one of the biggest reasons.  They represent me, you, us!  They have a program to be proud of!  But let me ask you this- what would it be like if the role was reversed, and ASU was "THE" state's team, the only show in town?  Would the Hogs do so well?  I live across the state from Fayetteville, but I don't see the Hogs as NW Arkansas' team, i see them as my team.  So why is it that most Hog fans look down so hard on ASU?  They also represent Arkansas, me you, us.  And they do it on a limited budget, and with a small fan base.  So why do so very few of you support them?

I have zero connection to ASU except as a recipient of my tax dollars.  I can't imagine caring less what happens in Jonesboro.  Sorry.

QuoteI know this post is about whether the two teams should play, but maybe sometime some of you should take a look or two at what is happening with the Red Wolves, they are playing their hearts out also.  It seems lately that most football fans in Arkansas are so worried about being champions, becoming a BCS power, national champion material that many of us have lost sight of what the game is all about anyway.

I'm sure UCA, Tech, Henderson, SAU et al are too.  I couldn't honestly care less.  There is no point here for me.

QuoteI for one would love to see UA vs. ASU, not because i care if UA "helps" ASU or not, but because i support both teams and it would be EXCITING to many of us.

Good for you.  Personally, I am not excited about the possibility at all.

QuoteKansas is a state with less people than Arkansas, but somehow they manage to support two teams with no problem.  I think it's great to have another in state team to pull for, not to take anything away from the Hogs.

While we're discussing "losing sight of" various things, I think its important to point out that not only does Kansas support two "teams", they support two major universities.  You know, those buildings near the football stadium. 

QuoteThe fact remains though, that whether it be ASU, UCA, or UAPB, we have the largest football program in the state agreeing to an outof state school claiming War Memorial as a home game to "help" them maintain Div1A staus, and that's wrong!!!  Wrong!

Wrong in the eyes ASU, right in the eyes of the U of A Athletic Department. 

QuoteYou don't have to help ASU, but you don't have to crap on them either!  They represent you too!

First off, ASU doesn't represent me.  At all. 

If ASU wasn't so concered about U of A, and focused on building their own fan base and athletic department, being "ignored" by the U of A wouldn't feel like being "crapped on".  Start comparing your program to Memphis or somebody else ASU can aspire to be like.

ASU is like the whiney, weak, lazy welfare recipient that thinks they are "owed" something.  Its funny.  I voted for UCA because I find the jealousy and spite ASU has towards the University of Arkansas entertaining.

In spite of ASU neurotics that say otherwise, the U of A hasn't done ANYTHING to damage ASU.  Frank Broyles didn't conspire to hurt ASU.

Just becase you don't give a homeless beggar a handout, you are not responsible for his poverty.

Ultimately, ASU needs to find a way to be a D-1 school and be ok without the U of A.  What the U of A does with LaMonroe, or anybody else for that matter is the business of the University of Arkansas Athletic Department.

Period.  End of sentence. 

Go find another street to beg for coins.  We just aren't that generous.  Its nothing personal, its just business.

I love guntr.

Feral Hog on 9/10/08 on Nutt's inability to conserve timeouts:
QuoteHe eats Timeouts like cocktail nuts... They're like quarters in the pocket of a 3 year old in a candy shop.

Whattha?

ASU/UCA last time they played UCA almost pulled it out

Justifiable Hogicide

ASU and UCA are more evenly matched and it would be a better game.

Of course, UCA almost beat ASU at Jonesboro when they played and ASU has run from them ever since.

Listening to the ASU CryWolves plead for a legislature forced game with the University is pretty funny while they play dodgeball with UCA nipping at their butt.

hogsanity

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 31, 2008, 12:36:11 pm
Here's what I think should happen. The Hogs should play AState one year then UCA the next. This
game would be called The Governers Cup Classic with the winner recieving the Governers Cup for
that year. Obviously the game would be played in WMS but the U of A would not have to pay to
play in this game. All ticket sales money, Consession money and parking money would be added together and divided this way: The U of A gets 25%, The other team (UCA,or ASU) gets 25%, and
the rest goes into a fund designated to be used solely for the construction of a new State-of-the-art 80,000 seat War Memorial Stadium to be located across Fair park Avenue from the current location. Once the new stadium is complete, the game would obviously move to the new stadium and the money wuold be divided this way: The U of A would get 35%, the other team (ASU or UCA) would get 35%, and the rest would go to WMS (30%).

How does this benefit the UA?  If we played a game that same week, against another opponent, in RRS, the UA would get all of the concessions, all of the tiket sales, etc, and only have to pay out 250-400K for a similar rent a win.  This just shows what people are saying, the UA has nothing to gain from playing this game. 

If ASu wants this game so badly, then let them be another rent a win for the Hogs.  Play in RRS, take the butt kicking, and then cash the check.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: majp51 on August 01, 2008, 10:46:08 am
Good Heavens. I would not want to see the U of A waste their time with any of them.

Do I think they would be a better choice that schools like WIU? That is arguable, but I have a problem with patsy OOC schools (except for homecoming) anyway. And at least with WIU, we get some exposure in another state to help in recruiting.

There are 4 reasons to schedule a school

1) Recruiting benefits playing a school will give us.
2) Money playing said school will give us.
3) Easy Win.
4) National Exposure (arguably this is recruiting as well.)

You need at least 2 of the 4 to make it worthwhile, and need.

ASU, UAPB and UCA at the moment only give us 1 of the 4 requisite (option 3), If they agree to always play us in Fayetteville you could argue We also get #2, but my guess is they would demmand to split gate receipts, which means we can throw that out.

Now if we continue the grand tradition of doing nothing but scheduling 3-4 patsies per year (ala the HDN years) then sure maybe add one.

But if the adding of Tulsa and A&M is a trend, then I don't want to waste a scheduling spot for a team that we are essentially subsidizing.

ULM and Western Illini blows some serious holes in your theory! They both check in on the easy win catagory. No national exposure, we're not battling either for recriutes, and guess what we make no major money off of those two schools. So you struck out there champ. Plus we give Sun Belt Power ULM a home attendence stat out of it every other year. Signed a 10 year deal with the dreaded WarHawks! There's recruites out there dreaming about playing ULM and coming to Arkansas to do it! Spare me.

hogsanity

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on August 01, 2008, 03:07:38 pm
ULM and Western Illini blows some serious holes in your theory! They both check in on the easy win catagory. No national exposure, we're not battling either for recriutes, and guess what we make no major money off of those two schools. So you struck out there champ. Plus we give Sun Belt Power ULM a home attendence stat out of it every other year. Signed a 10 year deal with the dreaded WarHawks! There's recruites out there dreaming about playing ULM and coming to Arkansas to do it! Spare me.

No major money off those 2?  We get a home game with no return obligation against WIU.  It is in RRS.  It will be close to full.  It will be hot, so concession sales will be huge.  We will make a ton off that game.  Now, you are right about ULM, but only because we play them in a home stadium we have to pay rent to play in.  Your comments are just further proof of why playing in LR is bad, period, but I digress.

I am not opposed to playing ASU, but, it should be in RRS, and ASU should get the standard rent a win check.

majp51

Quote from: astate on August 01, 2008, 11:33:34 am
ASU has NEVER used the excuse "nothing to gain, everything to lose" concerning playing UCA. 

That would be because ASU is really quite close to UCA in terms of pretige and ability. They are both competing for the same recruits. Winning against UCA actually helps ASU profile for the Arkansas athletes that stay in state and the U of A doesn't want, or cannot get the grades to get into an SEC school.

Call me back when ASU is actually a competitive program. I don't want the U of A to subsidize ASU's attempt to reach there.

majp51

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on August 01, 2008, 03:07:38 pm

You apparently misunderstand.
They both help us in recruiting.

No we don't recruit against the same type players. But except for a possible mention of an SEC championship game, or Bowl game, we get no mention in Illinois. By playing a school there we get some mention and can, at least in theory, get some recruiting exposure we wouldn't get otherwise.

Any more exposure in Louisiana is also a good thing.

Does getting any more exposure in Arkansas help us?

saturnthegiant

To Dutch Creek Hog, your type of reasoning is a perfect example of what is WRONG in this state.  Maybe if everyone across the state, who are not UA alumni, pulled their support for the Hogs you might change your tune.  Don't forget, the Hogs don't belong to U of NWA.  You and your family are all UA alumni, well how great for you.  The majority of people i know who love the Hogs don't love them because they went to school there!  Who you choose to support is your concern, like i said before ASU will be fine without UA's help, and people like you.  You still can't ignore the fact that a growing number of people in Arkansas want this game to happen, whether you like it or not.

Actually i could care less if UA EVER plays ASU, but the elitist attitude from Broyles' camp is really getting old!

saturnthegiant

Quote from: majp51 on August 01, 2008, 04:05:40 pm
You apparently misunderstand.
They both help us in recruiting.

No we don't recruit against the same type players. But except for a possible mention of an SEC championship game, or Bowl game, we get no mention in Illinois. By playing a school there we get some mention and can, at least in theory, get some recruiting exposure we wouldn't get otherwise.

Any more exposure in Louisiana is also a good thing.

Does getting any more exposure in Arkansas help us?

With Arkansas losing recruits to the likes of Texas, Mississippi St. and Auburn, appently it does!

saturnthegiant

Quoted from Dutch Creek Hog :Ultimately, ASU needs to find a way to be a D-1 school and be ok without the U of A.  What the U of A does with LaMonroe, or anybody else for that matter is the business of the University of Arkansas Athletic Department.

No Sir, it is the business of the taxpayers of the state of Arkansas!

Lake City Hog

Guv hog, You just made my point. You guys want to start out dictating wfere the games would be played!!!!!!!!
Non conf. games are played for the benefit of the University of Arkansas Athletic Department, period, playing the rent-a-win games assures Arkansas of all gate receipts, parking and concessions. NCAA football is a business and SEC football is BIG business, it takes $$$ to compete in this league.
As I stated earlier, ASU and fans would soon cry for a home game, split receipts and  that is not why UA plays non conf. games. I don't care who plays who, I just want the schedule of the Razorbacks to be the decision of the University of Arkansas!!!

Blue35

Kicking Wing

Quote from: majp51 on August 01, 2008, 04:01:12 pm
That would be because ASU is really quite close to UCA in terms of pretige and ability. They are both competing for the same recruits. Winning against UCA actually helps ASU profile for the Arkansas athletes that stay in state and the U of A doesn't want, or cannot get the grades to get into an SEC school.

Call me back when ASU is actually a competitive program. I don't want the U of A to subsidize ASU's attempt to reach there.

Call me back when UCA beats Troy, Memphis or SMU.  Also call me back when UCA takes ONE recruit that ASU targets.  It doesn't happen.

Kicking Wing

For the record, I think all three schools should play each other annually.  This chestbeating is pure nonsense.  UA is a bigger and better program than ASU.  ASU is a bigger and better program than UCA.  UCA is bigger and better than the remaining football schools in the state.

UA is a BCS school.  ASU is a midmajor.  UCA is an FCS school.

UA almost always beats ASU for any recruit they want.  ASU almost always beats UCA for any recruit they want.  UCA gets any recuit in state that doesn't get an FBS offer.

The rest is just BS.

AudiA4

Quote from: Killean on July 31, 2008, 10:25:10 am
Does LSU play ULM every year?

It's a waste of a schedule spot.
Actually yes, sort of.  LSU used to have the same policy of not playing in-state schools.  When the new AD came on board several years ago, he announced that it was a ridiculous policy of paying other out of state schools rather than playing in-state schools.  So now, LSU's schedule includes one in-state school EVERY YEAR.  It rotates between 4-5 in-state schools each year.

It was a dumb policy at LSU.  It IS a dumb policy at UA.

AudiA4

Quote from: Dutch Creek Hog on August 01, 2008, 02:16:09 pm
Nah, ASU students and alums definitely DO compare themselves to U of A and Fayetteville all the time.  I've heard it too many times.  It may not be prevalent, but its definitely common.

Ignored by whom?  Their own students?  Their own alums who won't go to football games?  No, they are ignored by the University of Arkansas, its alums and its fans, which speaks to what I said earlier about the whole comparisons to UA phenomenon.  We ignore plenty of other smaller D-1 programs.  ASU is the only one that takes it personally.

Because I went to school and graduated from the University of Arkansas.  Both my parents and my older brother did, too.

See above.

I have zero connection to ASU except as a recipient of my tax dollars.  I can't imagine caring less what happens in Jonesboro.  Sorry.

I'm sure UCA, Tech, Henderson, SAU et al are too.  I couldn't honestly care less.  There is no point here for me.

Good for you.  Personally, I am not excited about the possibility at all.

While we're discussing "losing sight of" various things, I think its important to point out that not only does Kansas support two "teams", they support two major universities.  You know, those buildings near the football stadium. 

Wrong in the eyes ASU, right in the eyes of the U of A Athletic Department. 

First off, ASU doesn't represent me.  At all. 

If ASU wasn't so concered about U of A, and focused on building their own fan base and athletic department, being "ignored" by the U of A wouldn't feel like being "crapped on".  Start comparing your program to Memphis or somebody else ASU can aspire to be like.

ASU is like the whiney, weak, lazy welfare recipient that thinks they are "owed" something.  Its funny.  I voted for UCA because I find the jealousy and spite ASU has towards the University of Arkansas entertaining.

In spite of ASU neurotics that say otherwise, the U of A hasn't done ANYTHING to damage ASU.  Frank Broyles didn't conspire to hurt ASU.

Just becase you don't give a homeless beggar a handout, you are not responsible for his poverty.

Ultimately, ASU needs to find a way to be a D-1 school and be ok without the U of A.  What the U of A does with LaMonroe, or anybody else for that matter is the business of the University of Arkansas Athletic Department.

Period.  End of sentence. 

Go find another street to beg for coins.  We just aren't that generous.  Its nothing personal, its just business.

You know, the fact that you had to expend 1,500 words says a LOT about how difficult it must be to defend your pathetic point.

porkmeister

I personally would rather see the UCA/UofA matchup, I'm a fan of both programs.  But if I'm honest I have to admit that ASU has really punched it's ticket and would be more worthy to play Arkansas.  ASU has played major BCS schools for years now and played a very respectable game last year in Austin.  I doubt if ASU played Arkansas 10 times in a row that they would win a game, but none of the rent-a-wins should.  Now down the road if UCA progresses and surpasses ASU then it would be a different story but right now I'd have to say ASU.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: NinoHog on July 31, 2008, 12:33:06 pm
Lets start a petition amd let the voices be know. UofA is a state school funded by my money. I think we should vote on it. UofA vs ASU make it law like FSU and UofF
/
Quote from: NinoHog on July 31, 2008, 12:33:06 pm
Lets start a petition amd let the voices be know. UofA is a state school funded by my money. I think we should vote on it. UofA vs ASU make it law like FSU and UofF
Your money won't pay the light bill in one classroom for 30 minutes.   Lets start a petition to make lawmakers deal with real problems and not those of all 10K ASU football fans. 

PS...there is no law in Florida requiring FSU and Florida to play football against each other.

saturnthegiant

Maybe that's because in Florida, there is no narrowminded policy that would need a law to make instate games happen. And if you could pick up Fayetteville and move it to Florida, the Hogs would have a lot more to worry about than ASU, wouldn't they?   Its too bad for non-ASU supporters that Red Wolves fans are like a fly in your ear that won't go away.  Broyles may not have created the rule, but he enforced it more vigorously than anyone else.
Quote from: donewithdale on August 01, 2008, 11:44:34 pm
If ASU's whining core of fans would have shutup especially back in the 80s when Lacewell made them cocky, they may would have even more Hog fans who would support them.  And they desperately need any support they can get.  For at least 25 years, Hog fans have had to listen to whining, insults and often just hatred from this core group of ASU fans.  Why would that make us support wanting to play ASU?  You people have blamed Broyles and have criticized him relentlessly even though he didn't create this policy.  Do you think that has helped?  Sure, we Hog fans have also gotten angry at Broyles at times especially in recent years.  But he is still family kinda like that old crazy grandpa that says and does crap he shouldn't. 

And if you go to ASU's forum, you get the same core group of whining Hog fans, there for no other reason than to fling insults and bash ASU.

SLC

None of the above should be an option. 

There is no legitimate reason for UofA to play the other in-state schools. 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

CORZRBACKFAN

August 02, 2008, 09:20:39 am #133 Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:39:52 am by CORZRBACKFAN
The University of Arkansas owns the state, and there is no reason to disrupt that. You have Nebraska, West Virginia, and Ohio (to a lesser extent), as the only three states with a true one school united front in major college football. Every other state has at least one other school that siphons off fans, or they have no relevant football at all. Can you imagine the embarrassment if we lost to ASU? That would be like the time UALR won in the NCAA tournament-a complete fluke, but bragging rights forever. It's a no-win for the University of Arkansas. ASU wants it because it gives them the false sense that they are actually considered on the same level as UA. I remember watching the vote in the State House of Representatives when legislators tried to make Arkansas-Arkansas State an annual game by legislative motion. The final word on it? A rep, standing in front of the board that shows everyone's yes (green) or no (red) votes, stating "I want you all to light up this board Razorback red!" 'Nuff said.
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

Dugann

UA and ASU should have happen 10 years ago.  It would be a great game for the state IMO.  Have it at the rock every year, $ stay in state, and the excitement would be rockin IMO. :razorback:
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

sonsahog

Sooner or later it has to happen, and it should! Granted, UA is miles/years ahead of ASU and UCA, but UA can't use their state power to protect themselves forever. There are plenty of fans who want to see it happen and their support will only grow. What's wrong with eventually having two or three power schools from the state?

ballhog™

If you want what's best for the University of Arkansas, then there is no reason to play an instate school.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Dutch Creek Hog

Quote from: AudiA4 on August 01, 2008, 09:58:42 pm
You know, the fact that you had to expend 1,500 words says a LOT about how difficult it must be to defend your pathetic point.

My pathetic point, Cliffs notes version:

ASU doesn't represent me, at all.

I don't give a damn about ASU.

ASU is COMPLETELY obsessed with and jealous of U of A.

I still don't give a damn about ASU.

U of A owes ASU nothing.

There's how about that?

The majority of my words were spent explaining to the OP moron why the above statements are facts.

To an intelligent, non-neurotic, they're self evident.  Among ASU alums and fans, intelligent/non-neurotics are a tiny minority.  Don't blame me for that. 

Or Frank Broyles.
I love guntr.

QuoteHe eats Timeouts like cocktail nuts... They're like quarters in the pocket of a 3 year old in a candy shop.

DrSwineESQ

I wouldn't mind a match up--so when UCA, ASU, UABP or, heck, even Ouachita Baptist University makes it to the same bowl game as the Hogs, I'll be all for it.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: sonsahog on August 02, 2008, 11:00:09 am
Sooner or later it has to happen, and it should! Granted, UA is miles/years ahead of ASU and UCA, but UA can't use their state power to protect themselves forever. There are plenty of fans who want to see it happen and their support will only grow. What's wrong with eventually having two or three power schools from the state?
Seriously?  What's wrong with that?

We don't have the talent/money to support two or three "power" schools.  Hell, it's debatable whether we have enough to support 1. 

There is no way to bring up ASU and UCA without bringing the UofA down.

sonsahog

"If you want what's best for the University of Arkansas, then there is no reason to play an instate school."

"There is no way to bring up ASU and UCA without bringing the UofA down." 

So refusing to play these schools and attempting to "hold them down" is the way to secure UA dominance?
Now we know!

Growth is good all and there will be no way to stop it.

Lake City Hog

1 more time people, it's about $$$$$$$, pure and simple. Guvhog's idea to divide the gate and always play in WMS is just one reason it won't happen! I don't care what any of you think, wish for, or truly believe it ain't gonna happen!!!!!!!
The football schedule for the Arkansas Razorbacks must be set by the athletic department of the University of Arkansas and for the benefit of the University of Arkansas. UCA and ASU must have control of their schedules in the same way.
Moronic ideas of fans regarding scheduling, uniforms or theme music should stay as a fans wish and not a University mandate!
james

Dutch Creek Hog

Quote from: sonsahog on August 02, 2008, 03:25:27 pm
So refusing to play these schools and attempting to "hold them down" is the way to secure UA dominance?
Now we know!

So by refusing to give the homeless guy downton $10.00 every day, I am holding him down, and therefore responsible for his state of affairs.

You guys make no sense.

I love guntr.

GuvHog

Quote from: HillbillyRazorback on August 01, 2008, 01:37:56 pm
This has to be one of the most intellagent post that i have ever seen on hogville. I think that you have a great idea. It makes no sense to me to pay teams like north texas and western illinois to come here and play us. We should keep the money instate and that would help ASU and UCA's programs out. I don't think that they will ever be as big as the U of A. Plus not only does it keep the money instate but we would get a new wmms out of it. We will always play LSU in little rock and just think how nice it would be to have a better stadium.

Helping ASU and UCA is not the point or the reason for playing this game. The reason for playing this game is solely to get the new 80,000 seat stadium built. It's not just about the hogs playing there
either. Who knows, with a nice enough and large enough stadium WMS might be able to talk one
of the smaller bowls like the Indepenence Bowl to re-locate to WMS. That would bring more
money to WMS and Little Rock, not to mention a good game to watch.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

August 02, 2008, 05:21:52 pm #144 Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 05:29:33 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: lchog on August 02, 2008, 03:45:22 pm
1 more time people, it's about $$$$$$$, pure and simple. Guvhog's idea to divide the gate and always play in WMS is just one reason it won't happen! I don't care what any of you think, wish for, or truly believe it ain't gonna happen!!!!!!!
The football schedule for the Arkansas Razorbacks must be set by the athletic department of the University of Arkansas and for the benefit of the University of Arkansas. UCA and ASU must have control of their schedules in the same way.
Moronic ideas of fans regarding scheduling, uniforms or theme music should stay as a fans wish and not a University mandate!
james

It would work and I believe the U of A would be interested for 1 reason. Under the current contract with WMS, the U of A must pay WMS to play there (I don't remember if it's 75,000 or 750,000).
Using my proposal, the U of a would not have to pay for that 1 game. That's money that stays
in the U of A accounts. Add to that the U of A would be making over 2,000,000 a game by the
time everything's added up. Once the New stadium is finished that amount woukld jump to over
4,000,000. People money talks!

P.S.  I forgot to mention that for this game only the Tickets would be $50.00 a piece.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: pig_sooie27 on July 31, 2008, 12:53:09 pm

Had a contract to play when I was at UCA beginning in '96.  ASU had to score on the last play of the game and send it to overtime to win (at home).  They couldn't stomach that they very well could lose more than they won vs UCA and cancelled the series.  Apparently they saw they had "nothing to gain and a lot more to lose."  In my mind they have no gripe about UA not wanting to play them. 
Exactly right!

GuvHog

Quote from donewithdale:

"It makes no financial sense for our state to spend money on making WMS SEC level or a new SEC level stadium in LR.  If a billionaire with bad priorities wants to fund it privately, then maybe the dream would happen.  This state has other needs."

Who said anything about using state money???? All of the money for the new stadium would come
from ticket sales, concessions, and parking fees for this game + private donations!

GuvHog

Quote from: donewithdale on August 02, 2008, 05:56:13 pm
GUV - UCF just spent $54 million on a 45K seat stadium - It was mostly built before the price of steel rose.  How much are you going to charge for tickets and concessions?  200-300 a ticket and $20 a coke?  Louisville is planning an expanision of 15-20K seats that will cost over $60 million.  How are you going to generate that amount of money in the timeframe it needs to be done in before the contract ends or the stadium falls down?  Plus the costs will continue to rise.  Probably looking at 75-100 million(or more) to make WMS somewhat viable.  Is it worth it for 2 or 3 games?

You have a good point and that's where the Private donations come in. The WMS people will have to seek these donations from large business owners all over the state of Arkansas. It might even
be a good idea to sell the naming rights to the new stadium (Donald W. Reynolds War Memorial stadium? Maybe?).

GuvHog

August 02, 2008, 06:37:11 pm #148 Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 07:05:01 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: donewithdale on August 02, 2008, 06:16:19 pm
I too have tried to think of scenarios over the years to finance it.  But to me, it always comes down to the fact this state - private or public money - does not need to pay for two SEC level stadiums when we only have one SEC program.  I'll miss WMS but the rise in oil prices and international growth like China has driven up the price of steel as well and that was basically the last nail in the coffin.  Way too much to expand and remodel WMS.  Broyles decision to make the roof of the SEZ of RRS easily expandable was brilliant now that the costs of stadiums has gone up over even 5 years ago. 

Even if you charge $150 per ticket, which isn't uncommon for major bowls or the NFL especially with ticket brokers, for an ASU-Ark game it would generate 7.5 million in ticket sales.  After the UA and ASU take 3 million or so(at least 80-20 UA), you are left with 4.5 million.  It would take 20 years to have enough to pay for the expansion/remodel IF fans continued to have enough interest in the game to pay those prices.  I just don't think its feasible nor does it make economical sense for our state.

Good points Dale, What you say makes sense. The truth is I really don't have a dog in that hunt.
I live just outside of Pine Bluff and even I would rather go to a Hog game in Fayetteville instead
of Little Rock. The point is if the Little Rock people are to have any hope of keeping 2 Hog football games in Little Rock, they'd better get off of their DUFFS and do something about that stadium. If they don't they can kiss Hog Football in the rock GOODBYE!

P.S. I can tell by the sentence in red that you did not read my proposal properly.
       I didn't say an 80%-20% split, I said 25% Uof A, 25% UCA or ASU, and 50%
       toward the new stadium.

Hawgvillain

$150 a ticket?  80,000 folks?  Maybe for year one.  After a year or two people are not going to pay that much to see a middle of the road Sunbelt team get killed by the UofA.