Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I achieved a goal today

Started by Albert Einswine, February 10, 2015, 07:46:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

February 10, 2015, 07:46:41 pm Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:33:56 pm by Albert Einswine
Been wanting to find a No.4 Mk 1 SMLE with full military furniture for a number of years now and today I purchased one. It's a Savage model manufactured in 1942, there's a pretty good chance this gun was carried by a British Tommy or Canadian soldier through the Low Countries and down the Rhine Valley in WWII. It's somewhat rare in that it sports the round or button style cocking piece rather than the more common slab sided one. I managed to find 40 rounds of Czech Republic .303 British ball ammo in Kokomo after calling a dozen different dealers in 4 Indiana cities. I'll be test firing it out back tomorrow if it warms up anywhere near habitable.

Edit: Got the computer problem solved and here are the pics.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

AcornHunter

It looks like the aft sight is a peep sight, can't tell much about the fore sight.  I haven't held a peep sight equipped piece in my hands, that I recall, since required ROTC in the mid-sixties.

Nice, thanks for the pics and post.

What's the condition of the bore?

Have fun!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: AcornHunter on February 11, 2015, 07:06:55 am
It looks like the aft sight is a peep sight, can't tell much about the fore sight.  I haven't held a peep sight equipped piece in my hands, that I recall, since required ROTC in the mid-sixties.

Nice, thanks for the pics and post.

What's the condition of the bore?

Have fun!

Bore looks great just with the eyeball test. Bolt is smooth as butter, and yep, that's a two position flip up peep sight. The large aperture is 300 yd zero and the small aperture is 600 yds. The front post is adjustable for elevation and windage.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

RazorBassin

twistitup

Beautiful rifle Albert.....I would rather own an older quality rifle w a story behind it than a new composite stock piece of ish anyday.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Albert Einswine

Thanks, y'all. I took it out back yesterday late in the wet, freezing wind and squeezed off 5 rounds from 80 yds out. Never having fired the gun before and guessing it best to just hold a 6 o'clock point of aim I got 4 of five rounds inside one of those yellow sticky back peel off targets that's the size of a coffee cup saucer with the lone flyer just off low and left. I was quite pleased and can't wait to get it on a bench for some 200 yd work. It's really a very fine action for an old battle rifle.

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Albert Einswine

My youngest boy and I are in the process of putting together a WWII collection. He has a Soviet SVT-40 which is their semi-auto battle rifle from that war, and the venerable US warhorse, the M1 Garand.

I'm on a quest to add a German Kar98k Mauser and an Arisaka Type 99.

zane

RIP LSUfan

Albert Einswine

Quote from: zane on February 22, 2015, 09:43:40 pm
Nice find

Very nice!!

Thanks, I'm hoping it'll warm back up enough pretty soon for me to get out and shoot it some more.

DeltaBoy

Nice and they will shoot great if the rifling still good. My Great Grandfather shoot a 303 Enfield for decades as his deer rifle.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.