Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm Officially

Started by c-townfan, February 07, 2015, 06:01:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

c-townfan

The worst crappie fisher ever. Last 3 trips I got skunked. This was my first trip of the year. Went to peckerwood around Stuttgart and only thing I caught was a wind burn on my face.

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

c-townfan

Tried every jig and jig color that I own with and without spins on them. Tried all different weights from 1/32 - 1/8. And even tried minnows longer than I tried jigs. Also tried jigs with minnows on them. My problems is knowing where to find them I guess. Tried the banks and trolling in the middle. Didn't even get a bite.

PEtrader

Quote from: c-townfan on February 07, 2015, 06:38:05 pm
Tried every jig and jig color that I own with and without spins on them. Tried all different weights from 1/32 - 1/8. And even tried minnows longer than I tried jigs. Also tried jigs with minnows on them. My problems is knowing where to find them I guess. Tried the banks and trolling in the middle. Didn't even get a bite.

We always fish brush,  granted I haven't been in years.

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

howie76

Never had any luck there either. I gave up n started fishin plum bayou, I've had much gooder luck there!! Give it a try n you'll be surprised!

tophawg19

try dropshotting or carolina rigging around brush and standing timber if possible . don't know that lake but look for cover of any kind .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Porkys Revenge

Buy you some yoyo's and fish a shiner about 18 inches deep. I've put 10, gallon size ziplocks of crappie filets in the freezer this week. Slabs, some over 16 inches.

c-townfan

Thanks for the advice guys.. What lake you going to porky?

Porkys Revenge

I'm fishing lake Wallace and an oxbow lake on my farm in SEark. I'm not far from lake chicot and I'd guess the fishing would be pretty good there as well. Been doing best when it's cold and a north wind is blowing, crazy, I know. I like to hook my minnows coming up from the bottom of the lip, not in the tail - not sure if that even matters but it works.

c-townfan

I tried plum bayou last year and got skunked. It had just rained and had been flipping back and forth from being cold and warm too. Wasn't a good day to go when I went.

zane

Do you have good electronics?

Gotta find the fish before you can catch them
RIP LSUfan

c-townfan

I have a garmin fish finder. I try to use it but I don't really know how to work it quite yet.

PEtrader

Quote from: c-townfan on February 08, 2015, 08:12:15 pm
I have a garmin fish finder. I try to use it but I don't really know how to work it quite yet.

Sounds like you need to take one of these resident experts with you next time and bring some beer.

hogbud

crappie.com has an Arkansas message board......good info on what's happening in state and folks not stingy with info.

c-townfan

Quote from: PEtrader on February 08, 2015, 08:24:40 pm
Sounds like you need to take one of these resident experts with you next time and bring some beer.

That's bout all I end up doing on my fishing trips.. maybe that's why I'm so bad at it!

zane

Quote from: hogbud on February 08, 2015, 09:11:36 pm
crappie.com has an Arkansas message board......good info on what's happening in state and folks not stingy with info.

SOOO much good info on this site.

There are some electronics gurus on there that will open your eyes to the possibilities. Read your owners manual and any info you can find online to really learn how to use it and what you are seeing on your screen actually means.
RIP LSUfan

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: zane on February 08, 2015, 07:29:20 pm
Do you have good electronics?

Gotta find the fish before you can catch them
He's gonna find em hanging on his yoyos  :)

PEtrader

Man I want some fried crappie.

Albert Einswine

I used to fish with the best fish finder this world has ever seen, could locate crappie anywhere and fill the boat up. Sadly, Granddad passed away in November, '88. My crappie fishing has been greatly diminished ever since.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 09, 2015, 05:34:59 pm
I used to fish with the best fish finder this world has ever seen, could locate crappie anywhere and fill the boat up. Sadly, Granddad passed away in November, '88. My crappie fishing has been greatly diminished ever since.
Same here.

Ragnar Hogbrok

I was spoiled the first time my grandpa took me crappie fishing.  We caught a mess (20+) hand-sized and bigger and I caught the majority.

Crappie is my second favorite fried fish...just behind flathead catfish.

Oh, to help the OP, it's all about the cover.  If you can find a spot that drops used Christmas trees or if there is a lot of fallen timber, you should get on them.  However, there have been times that I could see the crappie but I couldn't get them to bite to save my life.  I even smacked them with the dang minnow and nothing happened.

Anyways, I'm hungry now...
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

jdelo77

As everyone else said already it's about cover , one day that it's nice just put your boat in the water and drop you trolling motor and start looking for brush piles , that's where they are this time of year , mark them if you see some with fish or some that look good and remember the depth , do this for a few hours and at least you will have an idea on where to fish next time out !

PorkRinds

So you're crappy at catching crappie?

DeltaBoy

Go down to the South end of East Lake below Holly Grove and find where those old RR bridges are and fish around the foundation poles. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Porkys Revenge

Everybody in this thread should have at least 20 yoyos hanging Saturday night.

c-townfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 12, 2015, 09:25:39 am
Go down to the South end of East Lake below Holly Grove and find where those old RR bridges are and fish around the foundation poles. 

Know all about that spot delta. Clarendon river rat here. Actually grew up around Holly Grove but went to school in Clarendon. When the water is right red cat off of East Lake is some of the best fishing in Arkansas!

jdelo77

10 feet deep in brush on Millwood , but all that will change Sunday !

Harley_Hawg

Porky, has lake Wallace cleared up much? Went a few weeks ago and it was pretty muddy.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: Bass_Hawg on February 14, 2015, 09:47:13 am
Porky, has lake Wallace cleared up much? Went a few weeks ago and it was pretty muddy.

Its still stained. But not bad. Clearing up a in the last few days. We havnt had any rain at all down there lately so conditions are pretty good.
When this rain hits it'll prob get so muddy you can walk across it. A lot of fields that border it have been disked in the last week. The fields are dry.

Harley_Hawg

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 14, 2015, 10:22:16 am
Its still stained. But not bad. Clearing up a in the last few days. We havnt had any rain at all down there lately so conditions are pretty good.
When this rain hits it'll prob get so muddy you can walk across it. A lot of fields that border it have been disked in the last week. The fields are dry.
We have a tournament there next Saturday..

DeltaBoy

Quote from: c-townfan on February 13, 2015, 06:31:32 pm
Know all about that spot delta. Clarendon river rat here. Actually grew up around Holly Grove but went to school in Clarendon. When the water is right red cat off of East Lake is some of the best fishing in Arkansas!

If the Water is right you should be able to get some the next 2-4 weeks down there.  We always used minnows or yellow headed jigs. 20-30 feet.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

twistitup

Troll small crank bandits 6-12 ft deep find the depth they are biting run all at that depth. Slab crappie is what you'll mostly catch but don't be surprised to catch hybrids, bl bass, and even flathead (caught 3 last year)

Silver is my fav color w red hooks....but all colors work at diff times
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogbud

Shocker that Scott endorses Bandit

Großer Kriegschwein

All depends on water temperature and time of year. If you KNOW the fish are there, fish just outside of channels around cover (tree stumps and sunken Christmas trees usually). Fish just ABOVE the depth they are at. If you don't know, then start at 10ft (measured lengths of your fishing rod) and move down 1 ft at a time. Once you get a bite, stay at that depth cause you're on them.

Fishfinder removes all doubt though. Study one body of water until you get good at that one, then branch out to other places.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogbud

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 08, 2015, 02:46:24 pm
I fished Bandits long before my career change. They flat work.

Definitely. Wish Pradco still had public clearance sale like they used to. Did some major damage at those.

jdelo77

Anyone caught or heard anything about walleye on beaver yet ? Are they starting to move up the rivers ? Every year I'm too late !

twistitup

Quote from: jdelo77 on March 10, 2015, 09:55:27 am
Anyone caught or heard anything about walleye on beaver yet ? Are they starting to move up the rivers ? Every year I'm too late !

Yes. A state record paddlefish was caught by a guy trolling for walleye in the Wh River arm of Beaver Lake. He mentioned that the walleye were moving and you must get out in the cold to catch them.
ark dem gazette had write up
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jdelo77

I saw the paddlefish thing but didn't read the article , I'm tired of getting out every year and people telling me they have been catching them for almost a month !

DeltaBoy

Dad got several messes the last half of March.