Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billy Napier is finally named Florida head coach to replace Dan Mullen

Started by jbcarol, November 28, 2021, 05:22:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Gators Mailbag: Answering questions as Florida readies for Missouri
Neil Blackmon | 3 minutes ago

QuoteFlorida slipped to 5-5 Saturday night with a 52-35 loss at then N0. 19 LSU.

LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels made some college football history in the win over the Gators,  becoming the first player in FBS history to throw for more than 350 yards while rushing for over 200 yards. He also combined for 5 scores.

This is the worst Florida defense I've seen in 50 years of watching Florida football. And that includes the 0-10-1 team from 1979. Does Austin Armstrong get a second year as Florida's DC?

Florida's DC? (Jeff, Midland, Texas)
A season ago, Florida finished 97th in total defense, 100th in success rate defense and 103rd in yards allowed per play. That defense was the worst statistical defense for the Gators since the New York Times started...

What do you make of the calls for massive staff shake-ups?
SDS reported that Napier's rebuild was likely to include an offensive coordinator next season. I stand by that reporting, but it also would be increasingly surprising if an offensive coordinator was brought in that either (1) wasn't already on staff or (2) was set to install a new scheme.

For one, Napier's scheme, a run-first West Coast offense with modern twists, works fine.

Any concerns about a portal exodus this winter given the way the Gators are closing the season?
I don't think Florida loses more than anyone else in the age of the portal. Barring a surprise, it's hard to see a big name transfer, either.

Florida doesn't have cultural issues.

Quite the opposite.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

First and 10: It's time to tell the truth about every SEC team
Matt Hayes |

Quote3. The harsh truth
Make or break for Billy Napier in 2024 — if he survives 2023.

Think about this: If Florida were so concerned about losing a top-5 recruiting class by firing coach Billy Napier, why not publicly state Napier will return for 2024?

Because there's still debate among all involved — at the presidential level and with influential boosters. At the very least, Florida has looked better offensively in the 2nd half of the season, and the philosophy is beginning to take hold.

The defense, however, is horrific. And the overall operation still struggles game after game.

There's still heavy lifting ahead, on both sides of the ball and with changes among the coaching staff. More young players will be forced into action in 2024 — and Napier must win big in the offseason by landing impact players in the transfer portal.

All of that with the hardest schedule in the SEC, and maybe our nation, looming in 2024.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Billy Napier trolled for LSU loss during HS recruiting visit
Sydney Hunte | 6 minutes ago

QuoteBilly Napier and Florida lost to LSU 52-35 back on Nov. 11, but nearly a month later, he still can't live it down.

Napier was reportedly in Sarasota, Fla. on Tuesday to check in on one of his committed recruits out of the 2024 class, cornerback Teddy Foster, at Cardinal Mooney High School. Apparently, at least one student he encountered there is a fan of the Tigers.

Needless to say, Gators fans haven't had much to laugh about over the past couple of years. And if Napier can't get things together in 2024, he'll have more than being trolled by an LSU fan to worry about.

jbcarol

Why Billy Napier must hit the transfer portal -- and hit it hard

By Grant Grubbs

QuoteFlorida has no choice but to attack the transfer portal. On Thursday, Gators Online's Nick de la Torre weighed in on Florida's portal needs.

"Florida really needs to hit the portal hard," de la Torre told On3's Andy Staples. "We're seeing guys already landing places and Florida hasn't even hosted anybody yet. We saw them work slowly last year in the portal and thought, 'OK, well, you've gotten some good guys, but Florida is going to need some veterans. Specifically, on the offensive and defensive lines, to help them immediately in 2024."

Florida head coach Billy Napier found limited success in the transfer last offseason. The Gators lost 27 players while picking up 13. As de la Torre mentioned, Florida hasn't burst out of the gates this portal season, either, despite having no bowl game.

Although Florida is yet to hit the portal, the portal has sucker-punched Florida. The Gators already have 16 players in the portal, including standout running back Trevor Etienne. The sophomore finished second in rushing yards for UF in 2022 (719) and 2023 (753). He recorded 14 touchdowns in two seasons with the Gators.

Etienne isn't the only pivotal pieces deserting the swamp. Florida EDGE Princely Umanmielen also entered the transfer portal this week. The 6-foot-5, 255-pound junior led Florida in sacks, tackles for loss and quarterback hurries this year, earning himself All-SEC Second Team honors.

jbcarol

Urban Meyer says 'Florida fans have the right to be upset,' offers unsolicited advice to Billy Napier
Andrew Olson | 42 minutes ago

QuoteUrban knows all about the expectations at Florida and the pressure that comes with being coach of the Gators. Meyer recently discussed his former program when visiting with long-time radio host Buddy Martin, who authored "Urban's Way":

Napier's tenure is off to a rough start by UF standards. The Gators are 11-14 in 2 seasons under Napier, finishing the 2023 season on a 5-game losing skid to fall short of bowl eligibility.

"Billy Napier and his staff, is there pressure on him?" Meyer said during a recent appearance on The Buddy Martin Show, per On3. "Hell yeah there is, but that comes with the job. I would not panic if I'm the coaching staff.

"First of all, Florida fans have the right to be upset," Meyer said on Martin's show. "They're fans. Florida is an elite place. Ohio State fans are really upset they're 11-1. Florida State fans are losing their mind because they're not in the Playoff. That's what makes this great

"I would always try to temper myself and make sure our players and everybody knew, say there's a reason why we have these nice facilities, I guess there's NIL now, it's because of fans," Meyer said. "Just be careful. Just take it and deal with it because no one's making the coaching staff stay at Florida, if you know what I mean. There's plenty of places where you can go and mediocrity is accepted. And that's not, Florida's not one of them.

"I keep hearing about the process, the plan that he has," Meyer said. "It's got to at some point get going, but I would not panic if I'm him. I'd just keep grinding. Just keep your head down and do the very best you can."

jbcarol

First and 10: Florida is standing behind Billy Napier. His stars aren't. That's a problem
Matt Hayes | 2 minutes ago

QuoteOnce the decision was made by Florida officials to keep Billy Napier, once the administration at Florida went all-in on Year 3 in 2024, defections and drama would soon follow.

This was going to happen no matter what decision was made. The difference is, the decision to keep Napier only compounds the problems heading into next season with another year of hope against hope.

It's bad enough that Florida just finished its 2nd straight 7-loss season under Napier, capping a run of 3 straight 7-loss seasons for the first time in school history.

It's bad enough that Napier is 11-14 in 25 games in Gainesville, including 7-14 vs. Power 5 teams.

It's bad enough that Florida under Napier has 1 win in 2 seasons vs. core 4 rivals Georgia, FSU, Tennessee and LSU.

It's bad enough that the program, on game day, is an operational and functional mess and has had 2 straight seasons of historically poor defense.

But when the transfer portal opened last week, the Florida administration got a clear and unambiguous look at what's going on inside the locker room —

jbcarol

Billy Napier explains how he will evaluate Florida program during offseason

By Steve Samra

Quote"We have a pretty exhaustive process that we go through each year," Napier revealed, following Florida's final clash. "Whether we're undefeated and win championships, or we're sitting here, where we're at as a program. So we're going to go through our process. There'll be some things that come from that.

"I think ultimately, we do it each year, independent of the result and the outcome. We're obviously trying to improve our systems, and do what we think is in the best interest of the players. That's our job. That's what we're going to do.

"I think the youth in particular. I think it's important that we all understand that we'll have a good nucleus of players coming back, that have experience next year. Whereas you know, you evaluate the roster going into this year. I think that's important," Napier stated. "Look at the teams across the country that are having success, they have veteran football teams. They have a number of players that have been in the program for a number of years. We need to do that. We need to retain players. We need to continue to add quality players, and then we have to get better in-house, at teaching, developing. All parts of what we do. So that's what we're going to do.

"We already have players in that locker room that are talking about getting to work. So I think that's an indication of a group that's, much like they competed, to be honest. I think they'll take that attitude and approach into the offseason."

So far the fans have been treated to "sitting here, where we're at as a program."

jbcarol

Billy Napier comments on the transfer of Trevor Etienne

By Sam Gillenwater

QuoteOf the several portal losses that Florida has suffered this offseason, RB Trevor Etienne has an argument as the most significant one.

"I think Trevor has been great for the Gators. That's what I would say," said Napier.

"I've got nothing but respect for Trevor – his attitude, his practice habits, his contribution to the team," Napier said. "Nothing but respect.

"We wish him well going forward," Napier said.

As of now, the latest suggests that heavy favorite to earn his services is a rival program from the Southeastern Conference in Georgia.

jbcarol

Billy Napier reportedly zeroes in on new strength and conditioning coach

Bryce Lazenby | 10 minutes ago

QuoteNapier is reportedly close to making a new hire to his coaching staff with the Florida Gators.

Per reports, the coach is zeroing in on hiring Craig Fitzgerald from the New York Giants.

"Fitzgerald is extremely experienced, including an historic stint with Steve Spurrier."

jbcarol

First and 10: Brian Kelly isn't leaving LSU, a'ight?

Yet 2024 is shaping up as a critical year in the rebuild
Matt Hayes | 

Quote4. Change is coming
Florida coach Billy Napier tried to hire Ole Miss OC Charlie Weis Jr., but Weis eventually decided to stay in Oxford, multiple sources told Saturday Down South.

This is a clear sign that Napier — if he finds the right fit — is trying to hire an OC/play-caller and move more toward CEO coach.

jbcarol

Hayes: Billy Napier knows 2024 is win or walk. He's sprinting into an offseason of change
Hayes | 1 minute ago

QuoteOne by one, the moves are telling the story. Billy Napier is all-in on the 2024 season.

He has added an experienced defensive mind to his staff as co-defensive coordinator.

He hired a new strength and conditioning coach.

He signed a 3rd quarterback from the transfer portal.

He tried to hire Ole Miss offensive coordinator Charlie Weis Jr.

And the offseason of change is just beginning in Gainesville, where Napier's first 2 seasons as coach at Florida have translated to an 11-14 record. Just how ominous is that start?

He is the first Florida coach since 1946 to begin his coaching career with back-to-back losing seasons.

Meanwhile, the combined record of Florida's opponents in the 2024 season — the first season with the 16-team SEC — is 106-50. I'll save you the time of research: no Power 4 team has a more difficult 2024 schedule.

jbcarol

O'Gara: Scott Stricklin insists that Billy Napier isn't on the hot seat

Is he the person to ask :hmmm: 

QuoteRemind me then which one of those programs committed $60 million to the head coach of one of those respective programs. Those other sports matter, but football is king. Hence, how those other sports receive the necessary funding to exist.

There's great irony in that uphill battle facing Napier in Year 3. It was Stricklin who assembled a schedule that'll feature 11 Power 5 opponents in 2024. Back in 2019, Stricklin sent out the bat signal to try and beef up Florida's future schedule.

Follow Scott Stricklin@ScottStricklin
·

Attention ADs from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac-12 ... @GatorsFB is looking to add additional Home-and-Home series against P5 opponents. Let's connect and schedule quality games the fans want to see! #GoGators
4:53 PM · Oct 22, 2019

jbcarol

Analyzing if Florida, Billy Napier will hire an offensive playcaller, make additional staff changes

by:
Sam Gillenwater

QuoteMany eyes in Gainesville this offseason have been on the staff for Billy Napier at Florida. However, Nick de la Torre at GatorsOnline tempered any expectations of many further changes coming, especially on the offense.

De la Torre joined during 'Andy Staples On3' on Sunday to discuss the Gators' staff positions and if a new play-caller on offense could be on the agenda. He explained that the key complication at the moment is their total of assistant coaches. At the moment, they'd need to remove at least one assistant in order to bring someone new in to call the offense.

"Right now? I get asked the question daily. Who are they going to hire as offensive coordinator? I give my own associate athletic director, company line that there is no current open position on the coaching staff," said de la Torre. "You would have to make some sort of adjustment to the role. Is that taking one of the two offensive line coaches into an off the field role? Do either of them want to leave the field and be in an off the field role?"

"You would have to create a space in your assistant coaching pool. You can only have 10 assistant coaches that are on the field," de la Torre explained.

"The question for me is does Billy Napier think his job is on the line?" asked de la Torre. "If he looks at the offense last year and the reason why Florida lost games? He could realistically look at himself in the mirror and say the offense wasn't the issue. The play-calling is not the issue."

"You've seen the moves that were made were defense, defense, and strength coach – not anything on the offense," de la Torre noted. "If Billy Napier doesn't think his job is on the line then why change? If Billy Napier does think his job is on the line, are you going to put that fate into somebody else's hands, a different playcaller?"

Florida's offense finished just inside the Top-60 overall this past season.

jbcarol

Why Billy Napier's initial contract may have been an issue

by:
Chandler Vessels

QuoteFlorida athletic director Scott Stricklin made a massive commitment to Billy Napier when hired him in 2021. Now two years in, it hasn't exactly worked out the way he might have hoped.

The Gators went a combined 11-14 in Napier's first two seasons and failed to reach a bowl game in 2023. Now he's facing an NCAA investigation into the recruitment of Jaden Rashada, a former four-star quarterback in the 2023 class.

Florida gave Napier a contract $51.8 million over seven seasons and a budget of $7.5 million annually to use on a 10-man coaching staff. The Gators also promised an additional $5 million for support staff members and a large budget for recruiting.

With no on-field results to show for it so far, it's hard not to wonder in hindsight whether the investment was too large. Nick de la Torre of Gators Online joined On3's Andy Staples on Sunday to discuss how Napier was able to secure such a favorable deal:

"Scott Stricklin made this (contract) with the Lynda Tealers and the Steve McClains and people that who have been around Florida that have helped coaching searches before," de la Torre said. "But I honestly don't believe that Scott Strickland will hire another football coach. I don't know that you get the chance to hire three.

"So that's Billy Napier's leverage was, 'you're hiring me and if you really want me, here's my list of demands.' Florida had never given this much money to recruiting, to staff, to the infrastructure of football. I think Dan Mullen was probably a little sore, a little sour when you look at what Billy Napier was getting."

Napier is the second coaching hire for Stricklin and the third head football coach for Florida since he took over as athletic director in 2016. He arrived in Gainesville after three seasons at Louisiana, where he posted a 40-12 record and won a pair of Sun Belt Conference titles.

Napier was an up-and-coming coach with plenty of potential at the time, though he had never been in charge of a Power 5 program. But coming off one failed hire in Dan Mullen, who was fired in 2021 after four seasons, Stricklin knew this was likely his last chance to get things right.

So he gave Napier all the tools he thought he needed to turn the program around.

"To me, it showed an investment," de la Torre said. "Also believing that this would be Scott's last football hire for better or for worse, it made sense. 'Hey, we're going to give you everything that you're saying you need to be successful because I need you to be successful and there will be no excuses from a buy-in level for me for Billy Napier if it doesn't work out.'

"Florida football gave him every one of his demands. We wrote 800 stories about a new addition to the army and how beneficial, we were being told, it was going to be."

Florida has ranked among the top five recruiting classes in the SEC only once in the three years since Napier took over.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Billy on Nick, Terry

By Thomas Goldkamp

Quote"Don't underestimate the impact Miss Terry had on him and all that touched that program," Florida coach Billy Napier said in a feature by ESPN. "I was always grateful when I got there in 2011 after being let go as offensive coordinator at Clemson and kind of starting my career over. He believed in me and gave me another chance, the same thing he's done for so many coaches."

Napier has been blunt about how formative his stint at Alabama was after he had been fired by Dabo.

Saban offered a spot to come work. What Napier may not have expected was all the other stuff that came with that.

When you're part of the Alabama program under Saban, you're treated a certain way. Player, assistant coach, staffer. It doesn't matter, Nick Saban has a structure in place to make sure everyone has what they need to feel supported and empowered to do their job.

That extends into the personal lives of all involved.

"People don't see some of the things that he does for you behind the scenes, both he and Miss Terry," Napier said. "My wife went through some things medically, and they were there for us. They take care of their people."

That wasn't the only medical situation that would come up that would take Napier's focus at least somewhat off the football field. An equally trying circumstance developed when he was at Alabama.

"My dad got diagnosed with ALS my first year as a receivers coach," Napier said. "I wasn't worth a wood nickel that year, and coach Saban helped me navigate that when I probably didn't do my job to the best of my ability. But he had a pulse for how challenging that was for me and guided me through it."

The Saban dynasty itself might be over with the head man walking away into retirement, but the lessons learned will likely carry on long into the future.

jbcarol

O'Gara: Why the Florida defense has been the SEC's most disappointing unit of the 2020s (so far)

QuoteWhen you think of Florida at its peak, you probably think of elite offenses.

It makes sense. The 1990s Fun 'n' Gun offenses revolutionized the sport and led to a national title. The Urban Meyer-Tim Tebow duo produced a pair of titles, though unlike "Swamp Kings," we acknowledge the greatness of Chris Leak on this platform. And even for the majority of the 2020 season when Florida had legitimate Playoff hopes, it was on the heels of Dan Mullen's top-ranked passing attack in America.

You think Florida, you think great offense. History, however, suggests that Florida's defensive tradition was a bit more consistent, especially in the 21st century. If you think of what Florida has become in the 2020s, you probably think of something else —

jbcarol

First and 10: Panic over OCs and DCs leaving?

Could Players care less?

Matt Hayes | 37 minutes ago

Quote3. The guessing game
Napier's failure to land an OC (so far) doesn't mean Florida will head into a critical 2024 season with the same process on offense.

It's difficult to hire a legit SEC offensive coordinator and QBs coach to what could be a 1-year stint. If this were Napier's 1st season — or even 2nd —

So now what's left is what looks like a conglomeration of Napier, offensive line coach Rob Sale, and tight ends coach Russ Callaway — and off-field analysts Eric Kiesau, John Donovan and Ryan O'Hara — running an offense in what could be a make or break Year 3.

jbcarol

Greg McElroy offers view of Billy Napier's Florida program in 2024
Keith Farner |

QuoteMcElroy on his "Always College Football" podcast noted that Florida's win total in Las Vegas has been set at 5.5, and he acknowledged that the consensus is that the Gators will fall below that mark. Most people, understandably, don't have a lot of faith in Gators, he said, partly because of the schedule. But also because of how Napier's program "leaked oil down the stretch" in recruiting.

He recalled how many people didn't expect Florida to beat Tennessee in 2023.

Having said all that, McElroy said he's never seen Florida have such low expectations, and that's why he reached this conclusion.

"Florida is going to weather the storm," McElroy said. "... This is still Florida. They return their quarterback in Graham Mertz. Graham Mertz had a solid year last year, by the way."

jbcarol

First and 10: There's still 1 big thing college football needs to borrow from the NFL
Matt Hayes |

Ask and ye shall receive

QuoteI have a feeling there are teams about to get exposed in the new SEC. Am I wrong?

Adding Texas and Oklahoma alone changes the dynamics of the conference, but the elimination of divisions — and the annual opponents — will be a significant problem for a group of schools.

Exhibit A: Florida.

The Gators go from annual games against Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Missouri and Kentucky — all games on program strength and structure alone, the Gators should win — to just Kentucky in 2024. Florida still has games against heavyweight rivals from the old divisional setup (Georgia, Tennessee; LSU as West rival), and added Texas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss and Mississippi State.

South Carolina adds LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama and Oklahoma.

Mississippi State adds Florida, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee and Missouri.

Arkansas adds Tennessee and Texas, and only drops Alabama from its former divisional schedule.

There's an argument to be made that Texas begins its first season with among the easiest of league schedules

jbcarol

Evaluating the vibes from Florida fans entering Year 3 under Billy Napier
by:
Thomas Goldkamp

QuoteAs spring football practices around the country get set to kick off, many programs are looking for a complete 180 coming off the 2023 football season. Florida is one of them.

The Gators went just 5-7 under second-year coach Billy Napier last fall, the third straight season that the team has finished with a losing record. It's starting to show in Gainesville, too.

"The vibes are apathy. Those are the vibes," said On3's Andy Staples on the Paul Finebaum Show on Wednesday afternoon. "It's beyond anger and it's moved to apathy and it's kind of wait and see."

jbcarol

Report: Florida to hire NFL assistant coach Jonathan DeCoster as co-offensive line coach

by:
Andrew Graham

QuoteHead coach Billy Napier and the Florida football program have gone to the NFL ranks for an assistant coach. Jonathan DeCoster, an offensive assistant coach for the Cleveland Browns, will join the Gators' staff as a co-offensive line coach, according to Matt Zenitz.

DeCoster will work with the other offensive line coach on staff, Rob Sale. Sale is also the Florida offensive coordinator.

DeCoster is a Florida native and played tackle in college for four years at Louisiana, where Napier previously coached. He's worked in college before, with stops at LSU and Old Dominion.

The seat might be heating up for Napier at Florida
Napier is off to a rough start at Florida after finishing with a losing record in each of his first two seasons. A portion of the Gators fanbase is questioning if Napier is the right guy for the job. Now Florida legends Steve Spurrier and Chris Doering are joining in:

"There's a feeling around the Gators of 'What the heck are we doing?'" Steve Spurrier said, according to Frenette. "There's a lot of questions that I don't have the answers to about organization.

"Just because you hire the most people doesn't mean you're going to win. All these extra people, I question how much that really helps."

Spurrier likes Napier as a person, but he isn't sure about all of the strategies he is implementing in Gainesville.

"Billy [Napier] is a good guy who works his tail off. I like Billy, good family man. But we do wish the organization was a little bit more tidy," Spurrier said, according to Frenette.

Chris Doering, who is in the University of Florida Athletics Hall of Fame, has some of the same question marks about Napier. Doering is well aware that an outspoken portion of the fanbase is ready to move on:

"I think there's a lot of people that don't have the patience on the football side and are clamoring for something different," Doering said. "I don't think anybody argues Napier is a tremendous person, but a lot of fans wonder if he's the right fit."

jbcarol

Billy Napier shares advantages Graham Mertz has coming into 2024 season

by:
Barkley Truax

QuoteMertz has cited unfinished business as the driving force behind his return to Florida for the 2024 college football season.

The next few months will be critical in his team's development ahead of year three under Billy Napier. It begins under center with Mertz's return as a locker room leader, something Napier cited as a leading benefit of having Mertz play in Gainesville for a second season.

"The first thing I would say is he has the respect of the entire organization and the respect of his teammates," Napier said to kick off spring ball. "I think over time, his example – not only with his work ethic but I think as a competitor, has the toughness, the way he prepares, the way he treats people. Not just his teammates, but I would say all throughout the building. He's a consummate pro.

"I think the quarterback sets the standard for the entire team and organization. And he's done that. Him being back is a huge deal – not only for him personally and our team but for DJ [Lagway], as well. I think just in general, his leadership, his voice, I mean, the guy is – it's a big deal for the Florida Gators that Graham Mertz is back to play quarterback. A ton of advantages. A ton of confidence there."

Lagway's Mertz' heir apparent, coming in as a five-star recruit and No. 1 quarterback in the 2024 class

jbcarol

First and 10: Why Brady Cook, Mizzou could be the SEC's biggest Playoff surprise
Matt Hayes |

Ask and ye shall receive

QuoteLet's say Billy Napier doesn't make it at Florida. Who should the Gators hire to replace him?

I'm not completely sold on Napier's demise. In fact, I could see everything from SEC coach of the year, to being fired in the first month of the season. The talent is better on both sides of the ball, the team is older and more experienced, and the offense should be more consistent and have the ability to make accurate 2nd- and 3rd-level throws.

But let's not sugarcoat it: A loss to Miami in the opener can derail everything. If it goes south, and if Florida has its 4th straight losing season since the 1930s, the program will be looking for its 5th coach in 15 years.

Now more than ever, Florida needs a coach who knows the SEC, is an elite recruiter (both high school and transfer portal) and an unwavering game day tactician. It needs a dynamic, charismatic coach that can trade blows with Mike Norvell of FSU and Mario Cristobal of Miami — and everyone else in the SEC —

jbcarol

McElroy: 'Don't sleep on the Gators'

by:
Thomas Goldkamp

Quote"Every single thing you read about the Florida Gators is about one of two things," ESPN's Greg McElroy explained. "One, how hot is the seat for Billy Napier, and two, how impossible their schedule is this year. If you want to dive into where they're at offensively, hey, here's some key position battles, here's what I'm paying close attention to, here we are defensively, here are the guys that I think are going to need to step up, it's almost hard to read those things.

"Everyone's basically putting Florida in the ground, they're burying them and they're saying they have no chance here in 2024."

jbcarol

Florida transfer Princely Umanmielen praises Ole Miss staff: 'I feel like I'm actually getting developed'

by:
Thomas Goldkamp

QuoteThe transfer portal has shaken up the way college football teams build their rosters, while simultaneously making it easier for players to look for new opportunities when they feel they've stagnated in one spot. Like former Florida defensive end Princely Umanmielen.

Umanmielen, projected by some NFL Draft analysts as a potential second- or third-round pick had he opted to leave school following the 2023 season, decided to get a fresh start elsewhere this offseason. He headed to Ole Miss.

"I feel like here I'm getting coached harder for things like that," Umanmielen said. "I feel like at Florida, like, the way I was coached it was kind of like, it was almost as if like they was just telling me to go out there and use my talent, if that makes sense."

If that was the case, Princely Umanmielen's talent was pretty darned good.

jbcarol

Analyzing what Ole Miss transfer Princely Umanmielen's recent comments mean for Florida, Billy Napier

by:
Steve Samra

QuoteFormer Florida Gators defensive end Princely Umanmielen took his talents to Ole Miss via the transfer portal earlier this offseason, and it's evident he believes the right decision was made.

In praising the Rebels defensive staff, Umanmielen took what could be perceived as a shot at the Gators coaches, explaining the differences between the two SEC programs while speaking with the media earlier this week.

"I feel like here I'm getting coached harder for things like that," Umanmielen said. "I feel like at Florida, like, the way I was coached it was kind of like, it was almost as if like they was just telling me to go out there and use my talent, if that makes sense."

On3's Andy Staples and J.D. PicKell:

"Wow. Wow. Throwing the old staff under the bus," Staples responded, after hearing Umanmielen's comments. "Now, Florida's has had some staff changes. ...  So I'm not sure who he's throwing shade at here, exactly. Other than the entirety of the Florida defensive staff. Much of which is still there. But that's, that's rough.

"And you said this to me when we saw the clip, 'Billy Napier needs the season to get here,' just like, really quickly."

In response, PicKell stated his belief that Umanmielen wasn't trying to completely throw shade at the Gators, but that's just how it went down.

"It's tough, because I don't know that Princely Umanmielen —  I don't think he went to the podium saying like, 'Alright, I'm about to just hook this Florida staff,'" PicKell added.

Staples believes Umanmielen was, "trying to complement Pete Golding and his staff at Ole Miss," and it just went sideways. Regardless, it adds a little juice to the Florida-Ole Miss rivalry

Staples believes the Umanmielen situation is simply proving the pickle Florida is in as it relates to the transfer portal.

"Florida is in that situation where, this is the problem you get into, when I think the transfer portal area era exacerbates this problem," Staples added. "Where if you have bad news, if you have — if you're coming off a not great season, and you have some bad news, it just compounds and compounds. There's not really a way to create good news, unless you just spend like a drunken sailor on the transfer portal, and get some very different players that gets everybody excited.

"What the problem is, when you're in this situation where Billy Napier is right now,  it's hard to get those guys to come because they don't know what the future holds."

jbcarol

Napier on some of the critical comments Princely Umanmielen made about Florida staff

by:
Jesse Re: Simonton

QuotePrincely Umanmielen met with the Ole Miss media Tuesday, and the Florida transfer pass rusher proceeded to flame his former coaches for what he believed was lackluster teaching compared to what he's receiving with his new team.

"I feel like I was one of the best in the country as far as pass rushing," Umanmielen said. "Something from last season that I could work on better (are) my drops and attacking the run game a little bit. I feel like here I'm getting coached harder for things like that."

Umanmielen continued, saying, "I feel like at Florida, like, the way I was coached it was kind of like, it was almost as if like they was just telling me to go out there and 'Use my talent,' if that makes sense.

"Here, Coach Lou (Spanos) and Coach Joyner (are) really on me about the little things. Coach Lou really goes through the progressions and drops and the routes that are being run when I have to go in coverage. When I was at Florida, they would just tell me 'Go drop to this area' and I'd have to figure everything else out on my own. But here they go into depth. I feel like I'm actually getting developed here."

Ole Miss travels to Florida on Nov. 23 this season 👀

"See!!! This is why Billy Napier has to go!"

Princely Umanmielen was a big loss for the Gators this offseason, as Ole Miss' prized portal addition led UF with 7.0 sacks, 11.5 tackles for loss and 17 hurries in 2023.

This isn't the first time Umanmielen has been publicly critical of Napier's program either, as the transfer sounded off on Florida's strength and conditioning program back in January, too.

"The SEC is 'bully' football if that makes sense. You better be able to go heads up with that or you're going to get bullied. With them [the new staff] coming from Louisana Lafayette, I'm not trying to put anyone down, I don't know, it felt like we were training to be in the Pac12 instead of the SEC, Umanmielen said in an Q&A with Inside the Gators.

"The last two years it felt like we focused more on conditioning and running than lifting weights. I was getting so small in the off-season because we weren't lifting enough heavy weights. No joking, if you looked at our offseason workouts, you would think we were a track team. That isn't going to work in the SEC."

I doubt Umanmielen went to the podium Tuesday with the sole intent of taking shots at his former coaches. He was complimenting Ole Miss' assistants and found his way comparing one staff against the other. It should be noted that there's some lack of accountability on Umanmielen's part with these comments, too, as there are plenty of cut-ups on social media showcasing his lack of effort on some plays the last two seasons.

Still, optically, it's a bad look for Napier, and it is another round of public comments criticizing how he runs his program. It was less than a month ago that Steve Spurrier tossed all sorts of chum in the water, saying, "There's a feeling around the Gators of 'What the heck are we doing?'"

And now Florida has a former player — maybe its best defensive player from last season — taking shots at its coaching.

But you know who believes there's some truth to what Umanmielen said — both about UF's lackluster defensive coaching and strength and conditioning program :hmmm:

jbcarol

Florida announces homecoming in 2024 will be against Kentucky

by: Thomas Goldkamp

QuoteFlorida has announced its homecoming date for the 2024 season, and the Gators will host the annual event when they take on the Kentucky Wildcats at home on Oct. 19.

The school announced the date on Wednesday morning.

Florida currently owns a 72-26-2 record on homecoming games all-time, which includes a 30-5 mark since 1989.

The last time Florida hosted Kentucky for homecoming was back in 2008.

jbcarol

Billy Napier shares next step in DJ Lagway's development

by: Dan Morrison

QuoteThis spring is the first look that the Florida Gators and head coach Billy Napier have gotten at DJ Lagway, a highly-anticipated quarterback recruit.

Already, Lagway has been very impressive to Napier as he has plenty of natural ability and is quickly taking in information. However, now Napier wants to see him take the next step in his development.

"First of all, I would say he's impressed me with his ability to learn, retain information, and he picks it up really quickly," Billy Napier said. "Then his ability to take it from meeting room to walkthrough and then to do it in a practice setting. Today was really good for him, he had to play the situations as they arose throughout the scrimmage. I think the big next step for him is the game-management piece."

jbcarol

Gus on UCF's game vs. Florida: 'That's really big for us'

by: Dan Morrison

QuoteUCF Knights are going to be on the road to take on the Florida Gators in early October. It's a game that, for head coach Gus Malzahn, is going to be very important.

"It's really big for us and you're exactly right," Gus Malzahn said. "We recruit this state. We're constantly competing with Florida, Florida State, and Miami in this state for recruiting. We're chipping away. I mean, we're doing really well, but a game like that is going to be very important."

When Gus Malzahn first got to UCF, he said he was going to recruit with his 'hair on fire.' To this point, he has, putting together the best recruiting success UCF has had as an FBS school.

UCF and Florida have met three times before. In 1999 and 2006, Florida got big wins over UCF. However, more recently and while Gus Malzahn was at UCF, the Knights did beat the Gators in the 2021 Gasparilla Bowl.

"It's a non-conference game. We schedule them. We're Power Five now that we're in the Big 12, but that's a big one. There's no doubt. We fared pretty well last time we played them. That was on a neutral site. We have to go there. I think everybody knows how hard a place that is to play. So, we're looking forward to it. That's a big one not just game-wise but that's a big one for us recruiting in this state," Malzahn said.

"I wish we played a round robin. I wish we were able to play Florida State, Miami, and Florida. Let's see who the best is when you put the ball down, but we're excited to go to see the Gators."

Gus examines extensive coaching tree

jbcarol

First and 10: Quote to note

Matt Hayes | 

Quote"Him being back is a huge deal – not only for him personally and our team but for DJ (Lagway), as well. I think just in general, his leadership, his voice. I mean, the guy's – it's a big deal for the Florida Gators that Graham Mertz is back to play quarterback. A ton of advantages. A ton of confidence there."

-- Florida coach Billy Napier on QB Graham Mertz