Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buffalo River Camping

Started by Dr. Starcs, June 08, 2016, 08:37:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

Looking to put together a trip with some buddies.
We are wanting a non crowded area for some primitive camping and fishing.

We've never been to the buffalo and any help will be appreciated. Would like a spot closer to the nwa area as we would be coming from Springdale.

Any suggestions? (Other than the obvious "run if you hear banjos" advice.)

Dr. Starcs

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

BillyHog53

The lower part of the river from rush to White River is 26 miles long there's no one on it it is a great float just don't get flooded off

tangman

The only camping I have done there were overnighters on a 2-day float. Very secluded on a gravel bar by yourself. If you are not floating, you might try the Woolum area. If you are floating, make sure you know the forecast, as a heavy rain can wreck the trip and get you in trouble quickly.

aristotle

http://horseshoecanyonduderanch.com/

Tent camping is cheap and no reservations. But this place is becoming more and more popular, so plan ahead.

hog.goblin

Too late in the year for floating the buffalo.

Mid May is about as late as I want to be on the river

bennyl08

If I was still living in the area, I probably wouldn't give this advice. ;)

But check out hideout hollow. Some good primitive camping in the area as well as a traillless hill to hike up and get great views of early morning clouds over the ozarks.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hog.goblin

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 08, 2016, 07:09:14 pm

But check out hideout hollow. Some good primitive camping in the area as well as a traillless hill to hike up and get great views of early morning clouds over the ozarks.

Great trail

http://buffaloriverchamber.com/attraction_shermerhorn_trail.html#axzz4GnMz9HvD

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 04, 2016, 11:48:32 pm

Almost 7 feet at Gilbert and 5 feet at hwy14 bridge right now, great floating

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 08, 2016, 07:09:14 pm

There are a lot of little out of the way places on trails in the Buffalo River!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

porkbellys

the crows hole. hwy 7 s from harrison, cross bridge top of hill turn left stay left. been camping there for over 20 years. its awesome!

www.hikinghog.wordpress.com/2014/08/20/crow-hole-buffalo-national-river-82-and-84/

please take out what you bring in, thanks!
No offence to Richard but don't be a Dick.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on August 09, 2016, 05:06:53 am
Almost 7 feet at Gilbert and 5 feet at hwy14 bridge right now, great floating

I'm more of an upper buffalo guy, rarely go past Pruitt

pigture perfect

Yeah I like the upper river better. I can't remember the name of the landing, but it's across the highway from the Mt. Sherman Assembly of God church, then down to Pruitt. Just beautiful area.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hog.goblin

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 14, 2016, 09:11:03 pm
Yeah I like the upper river better. I can't remember the name of the landing, but it's across the highway from the Mt. Sherman Assembly of God church, then down to Pruitt. Just beautiful area.

Kyles Landing if I'm thinking of the right church, there and Steel Creek are great places to put in

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 04, 2016, 11:48:32 pm

Agree with Goblin (and he should know)....  Spring is the absolute best time to float the Buffalo....  although, anytime is good for me as long as its on the Buffalo...........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

aristotle

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 14, 2016, 10:47:27 pm
Kyles Landing if I'm thinking of the right church, there and Steel Creek are great places to put in

Yeah it's Kyle's. It's a good place to camp too. 6 person sites with adjustable grill grates in the fire pits at each.