Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andersonball wrapped up in a 2 minute stretch last night

Started by hogsanity, January 31, 2018, 08:48:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Between the 18 min mark and the 1st tv timeout of the 2nd half described the last 61/2 season perfectly. I was driving and had to listen to the radio broadcats and this is what that 2 minutes was like:

Chuck's call: A&M down the floor, pass to the wing, back to the top back to the wing WIDEOPEN 3 good.  Hogs bring it up, pass to the wing, Barford dribbling, dribbles to the corner, now back out high. Pass to Beard, he dribbles, now dribbles, 7 on the shot clock, Beard dribbles, cut off, step back 3, no good.  A&M down the floor, pass to the wing wideopen 3, good. Aggies can't miss right now. Hogs back up court, Dribble out high, dribble right side, Beard for 3, no good, had a man right in his fa...Aggies wide open 3, good. Hogg with 3 in a row from the exact same spot. Hogs throw it away. Aggies inbound, pass right side, wideopen 3, and they hit another one ( Zimm chimes in, You gotta get out on those shooters before they get set, you cant just run  out with a hand up after the start to shoot ) Hogs turn it over, Aggie the other way, lay up, and a 1 pt lead for A&M at the half has grown to 20 in just 4 minutes.

Change the team name and you have just about every Hog loss for 61/2 years summed up in 2 minutes.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3of5-2

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 08:48:01 am
Between the 18 min mark and the 1st tv timeout of the 2nd half described the last 61/2 season perfectly. I was driving and had to listen to the radio broadcats and this is what that 2 minutes was like:

Chuck's call: A&M down the floor, pass to the wing, back to the top back to the wing WIDEOPEN 3 good.  Hogs bring it up, pass to the wing, Barford dribbling, dribbles to the corner, now back out high. Pass to Beard, he dribbles, now dribbles, 7 on the shot clock, Beard dribbles, cut off, step back 3, no good.  A&M down the floor, pass to the wing wideopen 3, good. Aggies can't miss right now. Hogs back up court, Dribble out high, dribble right side, Beard for 3, no good, had a man right in his fa...Aggies wide open 3, good. Hogg with 3 in a row from the exact same spot. Hogs throw it away. Aggies inbound, pass right side, wideopen 3, and they hit another one ( Zimm chimes in, You gotta get out on those shooters before they get set, you cant just run  out with a hand up after the start to shoot ) Hogs turn it over, Aggie the other way, lay up, and a 1 pt lead for A&M at the half has grown to 20 in just 4 minutes.

Change the team name and you have just about every Hog loss for 61/2 years summed up in 2 minutes.
I'm sure Zimmerman was frantic with that crappy voice, yelling Chuck, Chuck, Chuck!

bhogs05

Our offense doesn't know that it is totally legal to pass the ball..and even pass it inside and back out.  Each time down the court it's who gets to go one on one with 5 secs left on the shot clock.  As for the defense I think our motto is..maybe if we leave them totally wide open from 3 then they will get nervous and miss. 

hogsanity

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 31, 2018, 08:53:32 am
I'm sure Zimmerman was frantic with that crappy voice, yelling Chuck, Chuck, Chuck!

Nah, he was too busy squawking " THAAATS a walk ", every time A&M touched the ball. Never mind how often Macon puts his hand completely under the ball when dribbling. Or he was crying how one of the refs had not called a single foul on A&M. Is see why he is an ex-coach.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

A$M only made 2 more threes than Hogs did. Rebounding and fouls hurt us more.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 31, 2018, 09:06:07 am
A$M only made 2 more threes than Hogs did. Rebounding and fouls hurt us more.

Yea, but they made 7 of them in like the 1st 6 minutes of the 2nd half, all while the Hogs scored like 2 pts. It went from a 1 pt game to 20 in that span. And the A&M shooter was not challenged on any of them.

But ok, lets go with rebounding and fouls. Rebounding, cause Mike does not care that much about rebounding, and fouls, cause hey slapping and grabbing and swatting are how he teaches defense.

txkhog

dawn2tusk

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 09:11:02 am
Yea, but they made 7 of them in like the 1st 6 minutes of the 2nd half, all while the Hogs scored like 2 pts. It went from a 1 pt game to 20 in that span. And the A&M shooter was not challenged on any of them.

But ok, lets go with rebounding and fouls. Rebounding, cause Mike does not care that much about rebounding, and fouls, cause hey slapping and grabbing and swatting are how he teaches defense.

Friend, you're consumed with this.  Much anger you have.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 08:56:02 am
Nah, he was too busy squawking " THAAATS a walk ", every time A&M touched the ball. Never mind how often Macon puts his hand completely under the ball when dribbling. Or he was crying how one of the refs had not called a single foul on A&M. Is see why he is an ex-coach.
what a sad life you must live living in Arkansas
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

swinesation

Great post OP. That definitely captures what went wrong last night. How do teams get so many wide open threes and we get so few???

hobhog

LZH

hog golf

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Boardon Hamsay

Zimmerman is FCJ and FCJ is Zimmerman. Things are becoming clearer.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Spot on.  It's all I see / hear when I watch the games for more than 10 minutes.

Which is about 8 minutes more than I should watch.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on January 31, 2018, 10:56:30 am
Zimmerman is FCJ and FCJ is Zimmerman. Things are becoming clearer.
FCJ is actually FCJ lol he calls on drivetime all the time
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

elksnort

Meaning that Zimmerman would be an excellent example of many posters on this board.

hogsanity

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 31, 2018, 10:57:56 am
FCJ is actually FCJ lol he calls on drivetime all the time

Yea, but is the FCJ that calls dts the same FCJ that posts here? My suspicion is that they are not the same.

ChicoHog

Quote from: swinesation on January 31, 2018, 09:53:31 am
Great post OP. That definitely captures what went wrong last night. How do teams get so many wide open threes and we get so few???
1.  Because we insist on doing double teams when we don't need to which leaves guys wide open.

2.   Because we don't move well without the ball and our offense is very simplistic.  Also because we don't have a really good PG who can penetrate and kick to open shooter. 

3of5-2

Good point, I will not listen to that clown ever again. If I can't watch the game in person or on tv, I'll just follow the game thread. It's more entertaining anyway.

hobhog

Quote from: swinesation on January 31, 2018, 09:53:31 am

Because we try to trap unsuccessfully with 3 guys and just watch as they break the attempt and find wide open spaces...?

hogsanity

Quote from: hobhog on January 31, 2018, 03:09:15 pm
Because we try to trap unsuccessfully with 3 guys and just watch as they break the attempt and find wide open spaces...?

even when they are not trapping they just do not recognize pretty much anything. It is not like Hogg is hard to find, he is not small, yet he went to the exact same spot 3 trips in a row and got wide open 3's.

LumberBacks

Quote from: bhogs05 on January 31, 2018, 08:55:38 am
Our offense doesn't know that it is totally legal to pass the ball..and even pass it inside and back out.  Each time down the court it's who gets to go one on one with 5 secs left on the shot clock.  As for the defense I think our motto is..maybe if we leave them totally wide open from 3 then they will get nervous and miss.
It really looks like a Globetrotter offense. They don't pass the ball as much as simply handing it off to the player that rotates to the top of the key. Like a practice drill.  Hogs do all the running around and the defense just kinda stays stationary in a zone b/c there's not much for them to do except watch the clock an pressure the ball handler with 3 ticks left.

bvillepig

On  the three Hogue made on the left side during that stretch Beard was a little deep in the zone and ran out at him. That's a 6'8 shooter with a 5'9 -6'0 guy trying to get a hand in his face. Beard went to the bench at the first chance after that and we made a run. Not blaming Beard but it was a huge mismatch and I'm sure it would have continued.

A couple of the other threes were fast break pull ups from a lifetime 20-25% three  point shooter. The statistics were in our favor but unfortunately he happened to shoot a little over 80% last night.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: bvillepig on January 31, 2018, 04:05:45 pm
On  the three Hogue made on the left side during that stretch Beard was a little deep in the zone and ran out at him. That's a 6'8 shooter with a 5'9 -6'0 guy trying to get a hand in his face. Beard went to the bench at the first chance after that and we made a run. Not blaming Beard but it was a huge mismatch and I'm sure it would have continued.

A couple of the other threes were fast break pull ups from a lifetime 20-25% three  point shooter. The statistics were in our favor but unfortunately he happened to shoot a little over 80% last night.
S
A career 25% 3 point shooter does that against us every night.  And has for Mike's entire tenure.
All Gas, No Brakes!

bvillepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 31, 2018, 05:15:08 pm
S
A career 25% 3 point shooter does that against us every night.  And has for Mike's entire tenure.

I see it happen to just about every team not just ours. Part of the game. The key is for ours to light it up. Barford is in in a slight slump but I think he, Macon, CJ and Beard will have a field day one of these games. It will be fun.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bvillepig on January 31, 2018, 05:52:18 pm
I see it happen to just about every team not just ours. Part of the game. The key is for ours to light it up. Barford is in in a slight slump but I think he, Macon, CJ and Beard will have a field day one of these games. It will be fun.

I expect that type of game to happen for us as well. We did shoot well at Uga from 3 compared to what they normally give up. I expect we'll have a game like A&M had in the second half last night.  Also expect a close loss at some point too as those things have a way of equaling out. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

SSFrazorback

Quote from: bvillepig on January 31, 2018, 05:52:18 pm

Barford, like the rest of this team, has no idea what to do when he sees a zone D. Every time a team goes zone we just pass around the outside and eventually shoot a three.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

bvillepig

Quote from: SSFrazorback on January 31, 2018, 06:45:58 pm
Barford, like the rest of this team, has no idea what to do when he sees a zone D. Every time a team goes zone we just pass around the outside and eventually shoot a three.
Part of that is we don't have a threat from that open area inside the zone at the free throw line. so we do the best with what we have.

rude1

I said it before and I will say it again, those complaining about offense are clueless. The offense is good enough to win. The defense is just awful period. It is a miracle they have managed to steal the wins they have they way they have defended in conference play. We are taking absolutely nothing away from an  offense. Driving lanes are wide open, swing the ball a pass or two and the 3 point line is wide open, Gafford has trouble defending strong players on the block, and in those rare times when they do get it right they ruin it by giving up an offensive rebound, you name it they are bad at it.

razrbakr1

It really looks like a Globetrotter offense. They don't pass the ball as much as simply handing it off to the player that rotates to the top of the key. Like a practice drill.  Hogs do all the running around and the defense just kinda stays stationary in a zone b/c there's not much for them to do except watch the clock an pressure the ball handler with 3 ticks left.

There are some really good points with pretty accurate descriptions in this thread.  Though my opinion is that the above post by the poster bhogs05 came up with the best one I have heard.  Absolutely nailed it.  You almost expect Barford to do a Meadowlark imitation at any moment.

rude1

Quote from: razrbakr1 on January 31, 2018, 07:18:29 pm

There are some really good points with pretty accurate descriptions in this thread.  Though my opinion is that the above post by the poster bhogs05 came up with the best one I have heard.  Absolutely nailed it.  You almost expect Barford to do a Meadowlark imitation at any moment.
Amazing. I guess you guys go to the bathroom when the offense is clicking like it was in the first half and we were getting back door cuts for layups time and again...................

20gauge

Then A&M adjusted poof that was gone. Again it's about consistency and there is none

rude1

Quote from: 20gauge on January 31, 2018, 08:38:12 pm
Then A&M adjusted poof that was gone. Again it's about consistency and there is none
Did they? We scored 32 in the first half, 34 in the second half. So what was the difference in the game? The difference is we gave up 47 points in the second half..............................

urkillnmesmalls

I'm on Rude's ship on this.  We play too far off the ball at all times.  We don't front dribblers, or play close enough to players on the 3 point line.  Don't belive me...WATCH how the opposition plays us on defense,  They can reach out and touch our player's jerseys, which is why we dribble round, try to penetrate, get shut off....pass, repeat.  They play tight D. 

We do at times...but usually only when it's nearing the end of the game and they up the intensity.  That's what's so frustrating, is that for MA's system to work, we have to play that way the ENTIRE game.  That's why we have two teams, and that's why we need depth, and yet....we play lazy on defense.  I would love to see a stat on how many layups or dunks we have given up this year versus seasons in the past.  We've ALWAYS been prone to give up 3's, because we try to trap on the perimeter, and good passing teams will find the open shooter.  Nothing new there...they make them, it's usually a close game...they miss, and we probably win.  But now...we do that AND let guys just dribble round us like we have lead in our feet. 

THAT is the one concern I have moving forward is...where is the grit and toughness that equals refusing to lose, and taking pride in playing defense?  That's MA's personality, but it's not transferring to the players.  I still think this team could surprise people if they would just ratchet up the defense, and focus on getting stops, and not think they're going to out score anyone.  You CANNOT out score people with two shooters.  You have to win by playing great defense. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

20gauge

Quote from: rude1 on January 31, 2018, 08:41:58 pm
Did they? We scored 32 in the first half, 34 in the second half. So what was the difference in the game? The difference is we gave up 47 points in the second half..............................
The back door cuts were gone. Then it was one on one ball again. Consistency isn't just about offense either. Usually for us to win we have to be in the 80 area.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HognotinMemphis

If you disagree with this, you are living in denial.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogginbama

Quote from: rude1 on January 31, 2018, 08:41:58 pm

So a team that averages 80+ a game scores 66 and the offense is just fine? Gotcha.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

3of5-2

Quote from: hogginbama on February 02, 2018, 09:33:19 am
So a team that averages 80+ a game scores 66 and the offense is just fine? Gotcha.
Most of our late points were because the Aggies had a big cushion and had backed off of their intensity on defense, but they maintained it on offense.

hogsanity

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 02, 2018, 09:44:03 am
Most of our late points were because the Aggies had a big cushion and had backed off of their intensity on defense, but they maintained it on offense.

Hogs scoring average is also helped by some ot's, and the 97 pts against om, a team as bad at defense as the Hogs.