Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OL Shuffle

Started by RebelW, December 22, 2015, 09:15:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelW

What changes in personnel do you think we will see starting as our OL next year? Depending on what DK does makes a big difference. Then we would only have to replace Tretola and Smothers. Which more likely would be Malone or Josh Allen at the guard spot. They might be wanting Malone at tackle though. Then have Zack Rogers move in to center and Skipper and Ragnow stay where they are, or slide Ragnow over if Rogers isn't ready then maybe Malone at the RG spot.. Brian Wallace and Johnny Gibson have to be itching to get on the field!! Lol what are yalls 2 cents?
   WOO PIG!!

WaltonCollege

December 22, 2015, 09:29:19 pm #1 Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:51:47 pm by WaltonCollege
I think Kirk leaves and we plug Wallace in at LT, we have been grooming him there for 2 years now. Josh Allen is a bulldozer, got significant reps this year and should replace Tretola at LG. Rogers most likely at Center, maybe Ragnow if Rogers isn't ready. It will be interesting to see how many reps Merrick and Juco Malone get and if they can contribute. Malone will play Guard and should push Allen. Haven't heard much on the fro anyone know how his semester has progressed?

Lake City Hog

Seems like I heard that Kirkland was evaluated higher as a guard than as a tackle, but still not first 3 rounds high. My hope is that Kirkland comes back, slides to Tretola's spot and Wallace takes the LT spot.

LT                    LG                     C                      RG                   RT
Wallace             Kirkland              Rogers              Ragnow            Skipper
Gibson         Merrick/Malone    ?Sone/Hannah?        Allen               Jackson

Anything wrong with this lineup? That still leaves Merrick/Malone, Harvey and another Juco if we could get one. Not sure that Sone or Hannah are ready to play, but if 1 of those guys could just spell Rogers 1 or 2 plays each quarter it would be great!

RebelW

I think we are in a lot better shape in the trenches than most people think

onebadrubi

I think if wallace and Kirkland are going to be next to each other it will be wallace at guard.  Another one of those getting the best players possible on the field, even if it isn't the right spot. I still think Kirkland at LT another year will only boost his draft stock.  He did good there this year and is an elite talent, he will only get better. 

I think our Oline success early depends on getting Kirkland back.  We really need him protecting the new QB's blindside.

I think we will see a rotation of Merrick, Allen, and wallace for 1 spot if Kirkland stays, 2 If Kirkland leaves.

Lake City Hog

Jeep, while I agree with you on part of your thoughts I just feel like if the NFL is trying to tell Kirkland that he is a guard then he should come back and play guard. That could really enhance his draft stock.
Plus, we might as well put Wallace out there since that will most likely be his position the following 2 years.

What would it be like if we managed to get Bolles???

RebelW

That's what I was wondering if we got Bolles, you would think we would have to move Kirkland undid if Bolles is ready like the coaches think he is

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 22, 2015, 09:48:49 pm
Seems like I heard that Kirkland was evaluated higher as a guard than as a tackle, but still not first 3 rounds high. My hope is that Kirkland comes back, slides to Tretola's spot and Wallace takes the LT spot.

LT                    LG                     C                      RG                   RT
Wallace             Kirkland              Rogers              Ragnow            Skipper
Gibson         Merrick/Malone    ?Sone/Hannah?        Allen               Jackson

Anything wrong with this lineup? That still leaves Merrick/Malone, Harvey and another Juco if we could get one. Not sure that Sone or Hannah are ready to play, but if 1 of those guys could just spell Rogers 1 or 2 plays each quarter it would be great!

That first set is a monster, but I think Ragnow would be the backup center if Rogers went down (if he's not the 1st center already, that is). 

bigdaddyhawg

I just don't see them moving DK back inside, not with him having a full year experience at LT last year.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

1Hog1/2Ham

Before Pittman's departure he said Ragnow would be moved back to center for 2016. Don't know if that will still happen or not. I think it will.

redleg

If Kirkland comes back, which he should, and Arkansas can't get a Juco OT, the Line may look like this:
LT - Kirkland
LG - Malone or Allen or Merrick
C - Rogers
RG - Ragnow
RT - Skipper

If Arkansas CAN sign a Juco OT (Bolles or Pridgeon), Bielema may move Kirkland back inside to guard (which is where he will play in the NFL), or if Brian Wallace is FINALLY ready to start, the Line might look like this:
LT - Bolles or Pridgeon or Wallace
LG - Kirkland
C - Rogers
RG - Ragnow
RT - Skipper

Either way, the right side is solid and I think Zach Rogers is a lock at center. If Kirkland and Alex Collins both come back it would be a huge boon for the Hogs, and it would be a big help to the development of the new starting QB.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Hoggish1

I see this as the best O line in the SEC! It would get Kirk to the 2nd round or higer.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: RebelW on December 22, 2015, 10:00:21 pm
I think we are in a lot better shape in the trenches than most people think

I think we are in a lot worse shape than people think. If Kirkland leaves we have to replace 3 starters with freshman/sophomores who have minimal game experience. O Line depth is scary bad.

hoghiker

Quote from: WaltonCollege on December 23, 2015, 10:34:43 am
I think we are in a lot worse shape than people think. If Kirkland leaves we have to replace 3 starters with freshman/sophomores who have minimal game experience. O Line depth is scary bad.
Is this true?

Lake City Hog

I think that too many of you are selling Wallace waaaaay short. Allen and Merrick are pretty darned good too. I do agree that if Rogers struggles at all we would probably see Ragnow move back to center.

I just believe that moving Kirkland to guard helps him and the team. Being strong up the middle is huge for the run game and run blocking fits Kirkland like a glove.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

WaltonCollege

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 23, 2015, 10:42:27 am
I think that too many of you are selling Wallace waaaaay short. Allen and Merrick are pretty darned good too. I do agree that if Rogers struggles at all we would probably see Ragnow move back to center.

I just believe that moving Kirkland to guard helps him and the team. Being strong up the middle is huge for the run game and run blocking fits Kirkland like a glove.

See you say they're all good but we haven't ever really seen them play. The jury is still out. Maybe they are all-americans. But until I see them start in a game I'm going to assume they might have a couple struggles being they are freshman/sophomores

dirtdobber

LT - BOLLES
LG- SKIPPER
C- RAGNOW
RG- WALLACE
RT- KIRKLAND

If Kirkland comes back and we were to get Bolles, I would like to see Kirkland moved to RT.  This seems like a much more natural fit than LT.  We know he can play guard.  Plus, looking at lineman from CBB's past, he likes to move them around to different positions which shows off their versatility for NFL scouts.  Due to limited roster space, NFL teams love to see lineman who can play different positions in a pinch.  Just my two cents.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: WaltonCollege on December 23, 2015, 10:48:40 am
See you say they're all good but we haven't ever really seen them play. The jury is still out. Maybe they are all-americans. But until I see them start in a game I'm going to assume they might have a couple struggles being they are freshman/sophomores

Very plausible. 

I think maybe, just maybe, there's a reason the staff has been targeting JUCO OT's for this class.  It could be that they aren't yet ready to trust who we currently have, and/or we simply don't have adequate depth at the position.  Or they've struck out on the HS kids they wanted.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

WaltonCollege

Wallace said the staff recruited him as a Guard. maybe we get Bolles but there's also a high possibility we don't. Just looking at the glass half empty our O Line may be a work in progress all up until our first game

thefisher

Seems like I heard that Kirkland was evaluated higher as a guard than as a tackle

Heard that as well.  It would make sense to me that the only way Kirkland stays is if he is given the assurance he will be able to play the season at guard and develop his skill set there.  For most guys that would be a reasonable assumption if they were willing to stay for another year.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Lake City Hog

If I am Kirkland and the NFL grades me better as a guard and BB wants me to come back for my Sr. year, I would as a guard. This kid can help us at guard and still be helping himself.

I think trust may well be the issue and just maybe if we did show some trust some of these kids might show us something, just like BA did when they finally showed enough trust to turn him loose!

gmarv

is there no hope that koehlers light will ever come on ???

LLPL

Quote from: WaltonCollege on December 23, 2015, 10:34:43 am

Never have we been in better shape to say "next" on the OL than we are now. These guys are very talented and built for the job. Most would have been starters at other SEC schools this year already.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LLPL on December 23, 2015, 01:45:48 pm
Never have we been in better shape to say "next" on the OL than we are now. These guys are very talented and built for the job. Most would have been starters at other SEC schools this year already.

Then why are there so many offers out to JUCO OL recruits?  Is it that we simply whiffed on HS OL recruits?

BR

We have not 1, but 2 top secret JC Lineman coming in... I heard this from some Sunbelt or FCS guru on Twitter, so it has to be the truth.. 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ricepig

Quote from: gmarv on December 23, 2015, 01:41:24 pm

He is/has graduated and I believe becoming a Police officer in NWA??

tconey1

I think we will be fine if the rankings on recruits is accurate.  If im not mistaken, Clemson replaced their whole line this year and they did fine. 

gmarv

Quote from: ricepig on December 23, 2015, 02:13:31 pm
He is/has graduated and I believe becoming a Police officer in NWA??
didn,t he come in the same class as skipper and Kirkland? i thought he was a redshirt soph.

ricepig

Quote from: gmarv on December 23, 2015, 03:28:07 pm
didn,t he come in the same class as skipper and Kirkland? i thought he was a redshirt soph.

Yes, he did. It's somewhere buried in here, lol. Bielema was the one who mentioned the police work.

deedster84

IF this is all we had and got no one else in. JMO. Don't beat me up.

LT Skipper. Got more penalties but got in their best rusher's head.
LG Kirkland. Natural guard. Can drive people. Wants that LT money though.
C Rogers. Natural center. Has the quickness to pull like BB uses centers. IF ankle is healthy.
RG. Ragnow. Watch him play when he gets mad. He did get eat up in MSU game tho.
RT. Wallace. Groomed to be great. Thought about switching with Skip but went with experience.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on December 23, 2015, 03:35:06 pm
Yes, he did. It's somewhere buried in here, lol. Bielema was the one who mentioned the police work.

Smart move by coach! grt a guy on the inside so no more trouble for our punter taking a piss in public.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: gmarv on December 23, 2015, 01:41:24 pm
He is going to become a police officer and graduate early.  He won't ever play lineman for us. 
How good our line will be depends on if we get Boles and if Kirkland comes back.  If both of these things happen, it's possible they could be better than last year.  If we
Don't get Boles but Kirkland comes back we may be equal to last year.  If we lose both, then our whole offense will take a step back.  Hopefully our offense won't regress to the extent our defense did this year, but it's possible.  A new QB and a rebuilt line might make 6-6 our expectation. If Kirkland and Boles are on the line, I would not be surprised by a 9 win season. 

scruf

Quote from: deedster84 on December 23, 2015, 03:50:46 pm
IF this is all we had and got no one else in. JMO. Don't beat me up.

LT Skipper. Got more penalties but got in their best rusher's head.
LG Kirkland. Natural guard. Can drive people. Wants that LT money though.
C Rogers. Natural center. Has the quickness to pull like BB uses centers. IF ankle is healthy.
RG. Ragnow. Watch him play when he gets mad. He did get eat up in MSU game tho.
RT. Wallace. Groomed to be great. Thought about switching with Skip but went with experience.
Finally a mention of Wallace at RT where he was on the depth chart all season.

Country Stylz

December 24, 2015, 01:40:36 pm #34 Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 02:09:30 pm by Country Stylz
Assuming Kirkland leaves, my starting 5 would be

Wallace at LT
Merrick at LG
Ragnow at C
Gibson at RG
Skipper at RT

Would be a pretty hefty group.

Allen, Rodgers and the Juco providing depth. Also I'm assuming we don't get Bowles.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: Country Stylz on December 24, 2015, 01:40:36 pm
Assuming Kirkland leaves, my starting 5 would be

Wallace at LT
Merrick at LG
Ragnow at C
Gibson at RG
Skipper at RT

Would be a pretty hefty group.

Allen Rodgers and the Juco providing depth. Also I'm assuming we don't get Bowles.

Yeah I can see that. It will be interesting to watch the Center competition. Maybe Rogers will beat out Ragnow and he stays at guard. Did Gibson see the field this year?

BenDial

I'd be surprised if Skipper moves from the right side to the left side. Right tackle is the road grader tackle. That's his thing. He's also vulnerable to speed rushers, so I don't think the staff will be giddy about having him protect the blind side of the quarterback. I'll also be a little surprised if Kirkland isn't playing guard next year, whether it's in the NFL or for the Hogs.

WaltonCollege

I remember watching Merricks high school tape he picks up and throws people just like Kirkland. Another off season with Herb and Enos and he can definitely be a plug and play guy.

onebadrubi

Quote from: BenDial on December 24, 2015, 01:55:42 pm
I'd be surprised if Skipper moves from the right side to the left side. Right tackle is the road grader tackle. That's his thing. He's also vulnerable to speed rushers, so I don't think the staff will be giddy about having him protect the blind side of the quarterback. I'll also be a little surprised if Kirkland isn't playing guard next year, whether it's in the NFL or for the Hogs.

While I agree, I think you may see him at the LT some early while someone else gets some snaps at it.  I just don't like inexperience at both blindside positions with a new QB. 

Country Stylz

Quote from: WaltonCollege on December 24, 2015, 01:54:28 pm
Yeah I can see that. It will be interesting to watch the Center competition. Maybe Rogers will beat out Ragnow and he stays at guard. Did Gibson see the field this year?
Gibson got a little PT at backup left tackle.

BenDial

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 24, 2015, 02:05:44 pm
While I agree, I think you may see him at the LT some early while someone else gets some snaps at it.  I just don't like inexperience at both blindside positions with a new QB.

I would rather the guy you plan to take the spot take his first significant snaps against LaTech, a retooling TCU, and Texas State than wait until we play Bama, Ole Miss, and at Auburn.

onebadrubi

Quote from: BenDial on December 24, 2015, 02:11:02 pm
I would rather the guy you plan to take the spot take his first significant snaps against LaTech, a retooling TCU, and Texas State than wait until we play Bama, Ole Miss, and at Auburn.

Give me skipper in first half of the rentawins.