Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Holy Toledo (part 3 or 7?)

Started by Dr. Starcs, December 22, 2015, 06:38:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

Toledo down to Temple, end of 1st quarter. 3-0

HOGS82

Temple has a solid team this year, not much of a surprise...
Quote from: mindemon on November 24, 2023, 06:58:31 pmThe 'Fire Sam Pittman' crowd are going to be eating their words next year. Trust me.

Dr. Starcs

Yes I know. I believe temple is favored. Just wanted to bring up the thread since its the only game on tonight.

King Kong

PigTales

Toledo looking pretty tough..up 12-3

intelligence

Quote from: PigTales on December 22, 2015, 07:41:37 pm
Toledo looking pretty tough..up 12-3
beat me to it. this makes our loss to them look better than it was.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: intelligence on December 22, 2015, 07:57:14 pm
beat me to it. this makes our loss to them look better than it was.

I guess, but it was still a terrible loss.

King Kong

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on December 22, 2015, 08:00:24 pm
I guess, but it was still a terrible loss.

This would give Toledo more wins over ranked teams than Ohio State had this year

bphi11ips

Bad matchup for Arkansas. Strong defense against the run; strong QB with quick release. Not as bad a loss as it will be remembered as being.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jkstock04

I wouldn't want the Hogs to play them again that's for sure. They have absolutely embarrassed Temple.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 22, 2015, 09:03:06 pm
I wouldn't want the Hogs to play them again that's for sure. They have absolutely embarrassed Temple.

We would beat them now because Brandon Allen and Dan Enos are clicking, but it would be a good game.

Atlhogfan1

Hogs would win 9 out of 10 vs Toledo. Probably more like 98 out of 100.  515 yards to 318.  Penalties and mistakes at the worst possible time led to an upset loss.  A bad loss which shouldn't have happened. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PORKULATOR

Don't forget the phantom call on the punt return in that game.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

code red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 22, 2015, 09:11:52 pm
Hogs would win 9 out of 10 vs Toledo. Probably more like 98 out of 100.  515 yards to 318.  Penalties and mistakes at the worst possible time led to an upset loss.  A bad loss which shouldn't have happened.
Nope but, things happen for a reason.  Texas Tech whipped us the next week and we collapsed vs A&M so hard to just pick out Toledo.  Next year needs to be about winning.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: code red on December 22, 2015, 09:49:30 pm
Nope but, things happen for a reason.  Texas Tech whipped us the next week and we collapsed vs A&M so hard to just pick out Toledo.  Next year needs to be about winning.

TT whipped us.  They were the bad matchup.  Different than what happened vs Toledo. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 22, 2015, 09:54:10 pm
TT whipped us.  They were the bad matchup.  Different than what happened vs Toledo. 

Toledo would beat Texas Tech.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 22, 2015, 10:09:07 pm

With their disruptive DL, I think you're right.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 22, 2015, 10:09:07 pm

Maybe.  What does that have to do with how we played either team? 

jlrock

Quote from: PORKULATOR on December 22, 2015, 09:29:40 pm
Don't forget the phantom call on the punt return in that game.

Love it when we as fans do this.  I wish I had better seats but was right there and it was a easy holding call.  The thing is you don't even really block the punter, your returner has to be able to beat that guy......

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 22, 2015, 10:13:41 pm
Maybe.  What does that have to do with how we played either team? 

Was that the question?  Thought it was about matchups.  One is forward looking, the other is hindsight.

At the moment the Hogs should beat either team.  Toledo is the tougher matchup, in my opinion, because of their defense.  Both teams have a QB who would give us fits.

gmarv

the way we are playing now we are at least 2 tds better than Toledo. tt is just a bad matchup for us but we could win or lose in a 52-51 kind of a game against them.against a&m I don,t know what to make of that matchup.

scruf

Good thing injuries weren't a factor this season.

thefisher

Quote from: scruf on December 23, 2015, 08:56:46 am
Good thing injuries weren't a factor this season.
Don't go derailing a pretty good fantasy thread by injecting all that actual fact crap into it!!!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

scruf

Quote from: thefisher on December 23, 2015, 11:11:31 am
Don't go derailing a pretty good fantasy thread by injecting all that actual fact crap into it!!!
My bad. Sorry.

longpig

Temple/Toledo was a solid game, no doubt.  If Toledo can perform like that missing most their coaches, we don't have any excuses being down one.
Don't be scared, be smart.

urkillnmesmalls

I'm not sure what the explanation is on why we started so slow, but I think we would best Toledo, TT, and TAMU now.  But...that's what has to change.  At some point, we have to show we can start the season where we left off the previous one.  Juggling assistants can't be helping that much...

Even with that...throw out the penalties and injuries...and we're a MUCH better team that those three we lost to early.  That's a positive. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hoggish1

Why stop there. Hogs would win100 of 100!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 23, 2015, 12:03:01 pm
Why stop there. Hogs would win100 of 100!

darn happens as we found out

Most every team every season has that game where what can go wrong does.  It is how upsets happen.  It was one of those days for the Hogs from the beginning.  Even with our oline looking unprepared for what Toledo's front was doing and Ely's quick passing attacking the middle of the field, the Hogs were better.  Failed to execute in the red zone, penalties at the worst time, mental mistakes at the worst time, injuries,...  This is why if we had a rematch with them I would be very confident in the Hogs.  TT would be different. 

jry04

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 22, 2015, 09:00:21 pm
Bad matchup for Arkansas. Strong defense against the run; strong QB with quick release. Not as bad a loss as it will be remembered as being.
We shut them down for the most part. They scored 16 points, and we had something like 6 trips to the red zone go scoreless. It was one of the biggest flukes of the year in college football basing it off the box score. Most teams would find a way to convert half their trips down there in some form or fashion. Everything that went wrong for us did. Play them today and we win by 20+. If Allen threw for 400 back then when he was struggling and we had not really used Reed or Morgan much, imaging what he would do now.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: jlrock on December 22, 2015, 10:35:39 pm
Love it when we as fans do this.  I wish I had better seats but was right there and it was a easy holding call.  The thing is you don't even really block the punter, your returner has to be able to beat that guy......
not a holding call, the block in the back that didn't happen, I may have the wrong game. Didn't we return a punt for 6 and it get called back in that game?
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

jlrock

Quote from: PORKULATOR on December 23, 2015, 12:18:28 pm
not a holding call, the block in the back that didn't happen, I may have the wrong game. Didn't we return a punt for 6 and it get called back in that game?

The Toledo game we did.  JC took the punt back I forget who did the holding but when the guy tried to turn back to make a play lets just say he could not turn around.  Was a day many of us would like to forget for sure

Iwastherein1969

TTech nor Toledo would stay within double digits wth the Hogs right now
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Nipsey Mussle

100% this and I can't believe so many have trouble understanding it. That game was as big of an anomaly as you will see. With the same stats, we easily should've beaten them that game. But we most assuredly beat them now b/c we cut out the penalties and stupid plays. There were so many mistakes on our part in that game and we still had ample chance to win. Just take away Hawkins absurd decision to hold the punter on the punt return, and we win.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 23, 2015, 01:33:42 pm
TTech nor Toledo would stay within double digits wth the Hogs right now
I think TTU possibly could. We still can't defend decent qb's in the spread, that never changed. We would score 70 on them, but im not sure if that would be enough.