Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trio awarded scholarships at banquet

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 19, 2015, 07:58:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Love to see walk-ons succeed. Congrats young men!

FAYETTEVILLE — Three Arkansas walk-on football players were awarded scholarships Friday night.

Punter Toby Baker, defensive lineman Karl Roesler and linebacker Nicholas Thomas-Smith found out they had received the scholarships at the team's banquet.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/dec/18/trio-awarded-scholarships-banquet/
Go Hogs Go!

The real Hogules

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

bigdaddyhawg

I'm a bit confused on this.  I thought the reason we were limited in the 2016 signing class is that we were up against the 85 man limit, thus being able to offer only 22 scholarships in this class.

How can we now bring these three guys on as scholarship players?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

immahog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 19, 2015, 08:25:53 am
I'm a bit confused on this.  I thought the reason we were limited in the 2016 signing class is that we were up against the 85 man limit, thus being able to offer only 22 scholarships in this class.

maybe he had planned on this. thus it being the reason we can only sign 22??? idk just my guess....but congrats to those guys
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Capt. Hamm

Mike_e

A good walk on program requires some investment.

If you can't show them that at least some of them can be successful then few if any will even try.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

scruf

Because they earned it.

dhizzle

Baker and Roesler have deserved it on the field the other guy must be in practice.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: scruf on December 19, 2015, 08:44:32 am
Because they earned it.

You missed my point.  I wasn't questioning the merit of putting these kids on scholarships (I knew someone would read it that way, though.).

CBB's discussion of a limited signing class this year has been consistent since back in the fall.  I doubt he knew at that time he would put these three kids on.

There's got to be some other part of that equation that I don't understand.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 19, 2015, 09:11:30 am
You missed my point.  I wasn't questioning the merit of putting these kids on scholarships (I knew someone would read it that way, though.).

CBB's discussion of a limited signing class this year has been consistent since back in the fall.  I doubt he knew at that time he would put these three kids on.

There's got to be some other part of that equation that I don't understand.

And then there is the rumor of Ramsey coming back and if given a scholarship, that's one more that isn't available.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

maybe we are going to hear about more  transfers...

gmarv

well regardless of the questions about the numbers .this is a good thing for the kids and for the football program.by the way congrats to the 3 young men who earned their scholarships.

TheRazorback500

Good to hear. Congrats, guys. WPS!

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 19, 2015, 09:19:30 am
And then there is the rumor of Ramsey coming back and if given a scholarship, that's one more that isn't available.

Hadn't thought about that.  Excited he's coming back, though.

razorbackkid

Awesome news for these young men.  Congratulations!
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I understand why Roesler and the punter got scholarships.  The other player must have earned it on the practice squad.  He's a junior so not sure how much he will see the field on defense.  I assume Kevin Richardson is already on scholarship?  He's another great walk on story for us. 

GolfnHog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on December 19, 2015, 09:47:57 am
I understand why Roesler and the punter got scholarships.  The other player must have earned it on the practice squad.  He's a junior so not sure how much he will see the field on defense.  I assume Kevin Richardson is already on scholarship?  He's another great walk on story for us. 

Believe KR earned his schollie at the start of the season during fall camp. I'm not concerned with the numbers, who gets a schoolie vs what is available for the signing year because it's real simple:
To build trust and prove you're "good to your word" you reward those that walk on and are told that hard work and buying in will make you eligible for a scholarship.

CBB and this staff is living up to that. If they weren't the walk on program would be as bad as it was in years past and eventually we'd see the aTm issues cropping up due to not being loyal and writing checks with their mouths that their backsides won't cover.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

smb

Quote from: GolfnHog on December 19, 2015, 10:21:05 am
Believe KR earned his schollie at the start of the season during fall camp. I'm not concerned with the numbers, who gets a schoolie vs what is available for the signing year because it's real simple:
To build trust and prove you're "good to your word" you reward those that walk on and are told that hard work and buying in will make you eligible for a scholarship.

CBB and this staff is living up to that. If they weren't the walk on program would be as bad as it was in years past and eventually we'd see the aTm issues cropping up due to not being loyal and writing checks with their mouths that their backsides won't cover.
Very good point. Congrats to all three.
GeorgiaHOG

HogWildBison2011

People seem to forget Jojo & Kendrick.. Thats two more scholarships freed up. And now with Anthony Brown transferring. Also I heard that Cordale Boyd & Reeve (RS Jrs) took part in senior day. I have heard grumblings that they might be done with the program. A lot of heresay tho.

RazorPiggie

We will have plenty of space. You'll get 3 or 4 guys transfer after spring, I bet.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on December 19, 2015, 10:32:21 am
People seem to forget Jojo & Kendrick.. Thats two more scholarships freed up. And now with Anthony Brown transferring. Also I heard that Cordale Boyd & Reeve (RS Jrs) took part in senior day. I have heard grumblings that they might be done with the program. A lot of heresay tho.

There it is!!  I knew I was forgetting some part of that deal, and I think this is it.

Thanks!

scruf

There will be a few more guys who aren't coming back next year.

Kevin

So now we have two punters on scholarship
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

OLDHOG

Yes, congrats to these kids. The scholarship problems always seem to work it's way out.

MuskogeeHogFan

Happy for these young men and their families. Hard work rewarded.
Go Hogs Go!

hawginbigd1

Just spitballing here but these scholarships could just be for the rest of the academic year! Next year they could be back to walk on status and it wouldn't count against the upcoming 85?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 19, 2015, 03:05:08 pm
Just spitballing here but these scholarships could just be for the rest of the academic year! Next year they could be back to walk on status and it wouldn't count against the upcoming 85?

I thought about that as well.

But I think the NCAA requires any walk-on who plays (some amount) to be placed on scholarship, so two of those guys would be required to go onto scholarship and to be counted against the 85 limit -- unless that rule has changed and I haven't heard about it.

ricepig

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 19, 2015, 03:12:34 pm
I thought about that as well.

But I think the NCAA requires any walk-on who plays (some amount) to be placed on scholarship, so two of those guys would be required to go onto scholarship and to be counted against the 85 limit -- unless that rule has changed and I haven't heard about it.

Wrong, you can be a walk-on every year and play.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Kevin on December 19, 2015, 01:39:54 pm
that's what i was thinking. and a scholarship kicker. That's 3 more TEs we could have!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Arthur pigby sellers.

hawginbigd1

CBB said specifically that the scholarships would cover spring and summer expenses, and that somehow they don't count against the number! Ramsey would count if he is allowed back!

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 19, 2015, 06:19:15 pm
CBB said specifically that the scholarships would cover fall and summer expenses, and that somehow they don't count against the number! Ramsey would count if he is allowed back!

You mean spring and summer?

hawginbigd1

trphog

Quote from: Kevin on December 19, 2015, 01:39:54 pm

My first thought as well. I wonder if this means anything with Johnson? Regardless, congrats to these guys!

MissippHog

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2015, 03:35:03 pm
Wrong, you can be a walk-on every year and play.

Are you 100% on that?

Because teams could take scholar athletes, put them on academic scholarship, add them as walk ons, and completely skirt the 85 limit.

SkeeterHawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 19, 2015, 10:13:16 pm
Are you 100% on that?

Because teams could take scholar athletes, put them on academic scholarship, add them as walk ons, and completely skirt the 85 limit.
I believe the caveat is that you cannot be on any other scholarships.  If you are on an academic scholarship and play, I believe that you begin counting against the 85 limit.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SkeeterHawg on December 19, 2015, 10:20:17 pm
I believe the caveat is that you cannot be on any other scholarships.  If you are on an academic scholarship and play, I believe that you begin counting against the 85 limit.

That means some son of a rich kid could go to Bama, pay his own way, start for four years, and never count against the 85??

Sounds questionable.

dropkickd9

If were giving 3 scholarships to walkons were goin backwards?

oldfart

anyone who plays no matter what or where their scholly comes in (horticulture or swimming for example) counts against the 85.  this prevents the old nebraska scheme of putting guys on agricultural scholarships and building up the team.

FANONTHEHILL

I have a little bit to share about this topic because I have a son who is currently redshirting as a freshman walk on on the team.  First of all, walk ons that have been in the program two years and are awarded scholarships count against the total of 85, but DO NOT count against the total of 25 for that year's scholarship cycle. That's how teams plug the holes for holes left by players leaving early.

As far as playing time and if you have to count against the total of 85, the NCAA has bylaw 15.02.4.3 that says any aid from the school makes that player count against the 85 with the following exceptions:

•Top 10% of high school graduating class
•High School GPA of at least 3.5
•1200 on SAT or sum score of 105 on ACT

My son is on the Chancellor's Academic Schloarship and a walk on.  He hopes to eventually earn one of the 85 spots in a couple years, but if he just keeps his Chancellor's Scholarhsip, he could see the field and not count aganst the 85 because of 15.02.4.3

It was great Friday night to see Nicholas, Toby, and Karl be awarded their scholarships.  It was the loudest applause of the night. 

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

DLUXHOG

Quote from: dropkickd9 on December 19, 2015, 10:47:07 pm

No, you're going backwards....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 20, 2015, 04:34:01 am
I have a little bit to share about this topic because I have a son who is currently redshirting as a freshman walk on on the team.  First of all, walk ons that have been in the program two years and are awarded scholarships count against the total of 85, but DO NOT count against the total of 25 for that year's scholarship cycle. That's how teams plug the holes for holes left by players leaving early.

As far as playing time and if you have to count against the total of 85, the NCAA has bylaw 15.02.4.3 that says any aid from the school makes that player count against the 85 with the following exceptions:

•Top 10% of high school graduating class
•High School GPA of at least 3.5
•1200 on SAT or sum score of 105 on ACT

My son is on the Chancellor's Academic Schloarship and a walk on.  He hopes to eventually earn one of the 85 spots in a couple years, but if he just keeps his Chancellor's Scholarhsip, he could see the field and not count aganst the 85 because of 15.02.4.3

It was great Friday night to see Nicholas, Toby, and Karl be awarded their scholarships.  It was the loudest applause of the night. 

Thanks for that info and I wish your son the very best in his effort with the Hogs. I know you have to be very proud of him.
Go Hogs Go!

lefty08

Quote from: dropkickd9 on December 19, 2015, 10:47:07 pm

We can only hand out 25 new ones........why not give the walking the leftovers?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

oldbear

Congrats to these kids. Also, thanks for the info about being able to use the academic schollies in that way. I knew that some counted against the 85 but wasn't sure how it worked. It really is important to have a good walk on program. Some kids just develop late and I believe kids that are willing to walk on are good for the team.

It takes a special attitude to put in that kind of work and time and do it simply because you love the sport and the team.

dsgreen

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 19, 2015, 10:24:12 pm
That means some son of a rich kid could go to Bama, pay his own way, start for four years, and never count against the 85??

Sounds questionable.

That can happen, but why would it often?  I mean, why risk yourself as a really good player if you're not even offered a scholarship.  There isn't really an incentive to do that unless its a diehard bama family/coaches family and even then it's unlikely.