46 (25.8%)
Tyler Wilson
35 (19.7%)
Bill Montgomery
20 (11.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Voting closed: January 09, 2016, 12:20:31 am

Hog Solo

Top 5 imo in terms of success.  Quinn Grovey, calcagani, Mallett, Stoerner, wilson

LZH

That's a tough call, like saying who is the best guitar player in the world. But Matt Jones certainly sold more tickets than anyone else.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Bacons Rebellion

Most successful is surely Fred Marshall.

"Best" and "successful" seems like apples and oranges to me.

Pig In The City

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

scruf

Cool thread. Good job quantifying the QB by wins only and not looking at the "whole man" concept. Pretty clever way to eliminate one of the program's best QBs, Brandon Allen, from the discussion.

dwaller

If you are going by winning percentage, it would have to be Bill Montgomry.

bigdaddyhawg

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bvillepig

Quote from: LZH on December 19, 2015, 06:06:43 am
That's a tough call, like saying who is the best guitar player in the world. But Matt Jones certainly sold more tickets than anyone else.

Easy lol. Chet Atkins

Dr. Starcs

bphi11ips

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2015, 08:49:42 am
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=604581.0

(Shameless plug)

Nice list.  I've seen everyone since Montgomery.  Based upon pure pocket skill and arm strength, I'd go with:

1.  Ryan Mallett
2.  Joe Ferguson
3.  Clint Stoerner
4.  Brad Taylor
5.  Tyler Wilson

Dual threats:

1.  Quinn Grovey
2.  Ron Calcagni
3.  Matt Jones
4.  Kevin Scanlon
5.  Scott Bull

Based on leadership, I'd go with:

1.  Bill Montgomery
2.  Brandon Allen
3.  Quinn Grovey
4.  Ron Calcagni
5.  Clint Stoerner
5.  Barry Lunney (tie)

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bvillepig

From the list I picked Tyler Wilson and Brandon Allen

Tyler Wilson because he led us to the highest ranking in the last few years.
Brandon because he hit bottom and overcame more adversity than any QB I can remember.
My favorites however are Jon Brittenum, Bill Montgomery, joe Ferguson,Quinn Grovey,Clint Stoener,Ryan Malett,Tyler Wilson and the Brandon Allen from the Auburn game forward.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: scruf on December 19, 2015, 08:42:02 am
Cool thread. Good job quantifying the QB by wins only and not looking at the "whole man" concept. Pretty clever way to eliminate one of the program's best QBs, Brandon Allen, from the discussion.

So you would eliminate a player that had two or three productive years for one that had one half of a season?  Pretty clever way of making sure your boy got noticed. 

Do wish BA had one more year though.

Since none of the QB won a championship it's hard to said one was the greatest.  So I picked Matt Jones for the level of excitement he brought to each and every game he played in.  Jones also started all four years he was on campus.  I also credit him with so increasing the demand for tickets that we were finally able to expand our stadium and become a real SEC school.

Pig Worshipper

Fred Marshall, Bill Montgomery and Ron Calcagni.

I loved Joe Ferguson but he became a much better quarterback in the pros with the Buffalo Bills.
Brandon Allen just had the best half-season by an Arkansas quarterback I've ever seen. Matt Jones was certainly the most exciting Razorback quarterback I've seen but the teams were not great.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Randy Johnson on December 19, 2015, 03:17:21 am
easy RM, JF and RC were the best

I would have to give it:  Joe Ferguson, Clint Stoerner (took us one fumble short of an undefeated regular season in the SEC, pretty good on field and did play a couple of seasons in the show) and Ryan Mallett.  I had Ron Calcagni at three, switched him to four.  Good player, but I think you have to have Ryan in the top three.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LZH

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

KennyForAD

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 19, 2015, 09:19:16 am
So you would eliminate a player that had two or three productive years for one that had one half of a season?  Pretty clever way of making sure your boy got noticed. 

Since none of the QB won a championship it's hard to said one was the greatest.  So I picked Matt Jones for the level of excitement he brought to each and every game he played in. Jones also started all four years he was on campus.  I also credit him with so increasing the demand for tickets that we were finally able to expand our stadium and become a real SEC school.

Wrong.  Ever heard of Ryan Sorahan?    Jones SHOULD have started, but ... Houston Nutt.

Cinco de Hogo

December 19, 2015, 11:13:07 am #21 Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:01:13 pm by Cinco de Hogo
Quote from: KennyForAD on December 19, 2015, 10:54:28 am
Wrong.  Ever heard of Ryan Sorahan?    Jones SHOULD have started, but ... Houston Nutt.

So Jones didn't start a single game HS freshmen year?

HogsonHicks

Joe Ferguson in a run away. He was a stud QB at every level and held all kinds of records for the Hogs and Buffalo Bills for years. He was a modern caliber passer in an old-style of football.

He's also been inducted into high school and college halls of fame and is in the Buffalo Bills' Wall of Fame. Big time player and most recognized and accomplished QB we've ever had.

rlreev01

Mallet- Liberty then BCS Sugar
Grovey- @ SWC Champs and 2 Cotton Bowls and a Liberty (Lost all of them)
Calcagni- Orange Bowl and Highest final National Ranking since Tied twice for SWC Champs.

Inhogswetrust

Joe had a long and prosperous career in the NFL. None of the others have. He should be first. Also how in the world do you leave the one that actually won a NC off that list.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

December 19, 2015, 11:19:57 am #25 Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:32:48 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: immahog on December 19, 2015, 07:38:44 am
no frito pie ???

Hard to forget Fritos Pie's runs.......
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

yraciv

Montgomery should be on the list, but to not vote for him is fine.  Great leader, but his stats were very pedestrian, even for that era. 56%, 29 td and 24 int for his career.  To think all those game were won due to him as a leader is pretty far fetched, and your really stretching the whole for a QB wins is the most important argument.

SPAL

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 19, 2015, 10:54:28 am

Pretty sure Jones started a few games his freshman year. I think you are wrong.

Dr. Starcs

Ferguson's qbr at the u of a is only 22nd of the 39 starting qb's I evaluated.

He is probably our most accomplished qb in the nfl, but his stats here were pedestrian.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2015, 12:23:03 pm
Ferguson's qbr at the u of a is only 22nd of the 39 starting qb's I evaluated.

He is probably our most accomplished qb in the nfl, but his stats here were pedestrian.

I think his stats in the NFL were pedestrian as well.  He really benefited by playing with that great RB from USC who set several records while at Buffalo.

Joe was a good NFL QB, don't get me wrong, but he was not upper echelon except for arm talent, and he had plenty of that.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

scruf

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 19, 2015, 09:19:16 am

Since none of the QB won a championship it's hard to said one was the greatest.  So I picked Matt Jones for the level of excitement he brought to each and every game he played in.  Jones also started all four years he was on campus.  I also credit him with so increasing the demand for tickets that we were finally able to expand our stadium and become a real SEC school.
BA is not my boy. I think his body of work this season is tremendous, especially given another new offense to learn coupled with key injuries to most of the returning playmakers. His numbers speak for themselves and he's poised to close out his career with a bang and give a rebounding program some much-needed momentum.

I would agree that Matt Jones was definitely the most exciting QB the Hogs have had over the last 30 years. He had a rare ability to make huge plays at key times. I put him in my Top 5 along with BA, TW, RM and Joe Ferguson.

pigskenG

Bill Montgomery.  If I remember correctly, he lost 5 games in 3 years; Texas three times, Stanford with Plunket at QB, and Ole Miss with Archie at QB. And then he didn't get drafted. One of my all time favorite players, both on and off the field.

hoglady

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 19, 2015, 10:11:56 am
I would have to give it:  Joe Ferguson, Clint Stoerner (took us one fumble short of an undefeated regular season in the SEC, pretty good on field and did play a couple of seasons in the show) and Ryan Mallett.  I had Ron Calcagni at three, switched him to four.  Good player, but I think you have to have Ryan in the top three.

Those were my 3 also.
Ferguson, Stoerner and Mallett.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

flippinhogmana

December 19, 2015, 02:45:36 pm #33 Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:59:22 pm by flippinhogmana
To say that Joe Ferguson's stats here were pedestrian is evidence a lack of his value to the team and the type of team and offense we had at the time.  You have to remember this was a Frank Broyles offense.  That means it was largely a running based offense with the qb saving the day on third down in obvious passing situations for the most part.  There were of course the occasional deviations from the script. 

Brad Taylor is another whos stats will not accurately reflect his true value or greatness as an Arkansas qb.  Brad Taylor was the hog offense while he was here.  He was better than the qb he replaced even as a first year player.  So was Ferguson.

I saw Ferguson come in as a freshmen and nearly save a game in the fourth quarter that a qb you have rather higher did nothing in.  That is the value of stats. Joe Ferguson was great for the three years he played here no matter what the stats say.  You have to remember that stats can lead you to believe that a fellow with one foot in fire and the other frozen in a bucket of ice is on the average comfortable.

I have to apologize for not factoring Marshall.  I was simply to young when he played to be able to accurately evaluate him, but based on his play one would have to include him in the top five I would say.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Dr. Starcs

The stats are really all we have to compare players from generation to generation.

My stats were compiled from qbr and winning % was factored in. Had it not been, joe wouldn't have been as high as he is.

You are only giving your opinion, at least my list factored in multiple tangible numbers. But it is not an end all be all.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 19, 2015, 02:45:36 pm
To say that Joe Ferguson's stats here were pedestrian is evidence a lack of his value to the team and the type of team and offense we had at the time.  You have to remember this was a Frank Broyles offense.  That means it was largely a running based offense with the qb saving the day on third down in obvious passing situations for the most part.  There were of course the occasional deviations from the script. 

Brad Taylor is another whos stats will not accurately reflect his true value or greatness as an Arkansas qb.  Brad Taylor was the hog offense while he was here.  He was better than the qb he replaced even as a first year player.  So was Ferguson.

I saw Ferguson come in as a freshmen and nearly save a game in the fourth quarter that a qb you have rather higher did nothing in.  That is the value of stats. Joe Ferguson was great for the three years he played here no matter what the stats say.  You have to remember that stats can lead you to believe that a fellow with one foot in fire and the other frozen in a bucket of ice is on the average comfortable.

Stats are stats.

You are right that when considering Joe's college stats one should consider the offense Frank was running at that time, but it doesn't change that his stats are pedestrian.

flippinhogmana

I dont disagree.  But I still say that there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.  It is also said that figures dont lie, but liars use figures.

I would also say that Michael Jordan without Scottie Pippen, and Horace Grant and a couple of competent centers never won anything, didnt even reach the playoffs year one, but he was still Michael Jordan. 

If you want to properly evaluate stats, then properly evaluate them.  What percentage of the offense was generated through Joe for example, in what situation?  Joe didnt have many lofty stats at Arkansas or at Buffalo because he was expected to hand off most of the time.  For example at buffalo, when he who I will not name left is when his numbers improved greatly and he showed he was a very good qb.  That too is part of the stat picture.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2015, 02:55:28 pm
The stats are really all we have to compare players from generation to generation.

My stats were compiled from qbr and winning % was factored in. Had it not been, joe wouldn't have been as high as he is.

You are only giving your opinion, at least my list factored in multiple tangible numbers. But it is not an end all be all.

Your rationale is based on modern stats used in modern football. Experts at the high school, college, and pro levels evaluate him as one of th best. Perhaps a more effective measure is how he was ranked against his peers who played in the same era.

Good read on Ferguson, if interested.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/7/18/947256/top-50-all-time-bills-no-33-qb-joe

Dr. Starcs

Every qb I rated was based on completions, attempts, yds, tds, ints, wins and total games as razorback qb.

The only thing I didnt have available was rushing yardage.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2015, 03:50:52 pm
Every qb I rated was based on completions, attempts, yds, tds, ints, wins and total games as razorback qb.

The only thing I didnt have available was rushing yardage.

Fair enough. I was looking at complete body of work of Arkansas QBs. You were looking specifically at stats while at Ark.  In that case, I'll stand by Ferguson, but you could certainly make a case for others.

BDSCT51

Bleeding Razorback Red

Ironhawg

Quote from: BDSCT51 on December 19, 2015, 04:15:47 pm
No Bill Montgomery, poll invalid.

Absolutely correct.  Arkansas was 28-5 with Bill Montgomery as the starting QB.

yraciv

Lets throw their college stats from Arkansas into the mix.
Player                    CMP         Tot YD  PG        PTD           INT   
Joe Ferguson          53.5%        134.2              24             32
Matt Jones             55.2%        182.4              53             30
Tyler Wilson           62.6%         208.7             52             26
Ryan Mallett           60.3%        284.2             62             19
Quinn Grovey         55.5%         136.4             29             26
Bill Montgomery      56%           163                29             24
Brandon Allen          56.9%        177.9             63             25
Ron Calcagni            50.8%        83.5              17              17
Clint Stoerner          51.6%        176.2            57             37

Given all things considered, winning, era, coaching, and stats.  I've decided my order is:
1. Ryan Mallett - Best QB skills
2.  Matt Jones - Best Athlete, worst offense to succeed in, most clutch
3.  Tyler Wilson - Fearless, leader, 1 amazing season & then stuck with JLS
4. Bill Montgomery - Winner - thats all I can say, never watched him; certainly didn't play the same level of athletes, but he outshined his competition
5. Brandon Allen - Most turmoil, known most of career for not being clutch, but one of best seasons in school history.

Paul Swinebaum

Obviously the list of options is incomplete but I'll play.

1. Joe Ferguson - NFL career and accomplishments.
2. Brandon Allen - No quit in him and tough as an Elly May biscuit.
3. Barry Lunney - Current position as TE coach and recruiter

I would have ranked Houston Nutt because clowns make people laugh.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

1.  Ryan Mallett
2.  Brandon Allen
3.  Brad Taylor
4.  Matt Jones
5.  Tyler Wilson
6.  Ron Calcagni

I really can't go back further than Calcagni.  I was just too young.
Truth be told, I barely remember him other than thinking he could somehow win us every game.

Taylor was a rare talent that was probably wasted to a large degree.  I always thought he'd go onto fame in the NFL, butseems like I remember it being said that his skills didn't really get honed while at college.

The more recent QBs , I guess impress me more.  With the hiring of BP, we FINALLY entered the world of modern QB development and utilization.
And I probably don't need to give any reasons for the recent ones.

Caveat:
Matt Jones is my 4th QB, but he'd be my #1 all-time Razorback.  Electric.  Magical.  Unique.  Borderline unstoppable.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Everyone needs to understand, regardless of your age.   Joe Ferguson has been the only established Hog Q to have a decent/great NFL carrier .....carry on then?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: code red on December 19, 2015, 08:48:23 pm
Everyone needs to understand, regardless of your age.   Joe Ferguson has been the only established Hog Q to have a decent/great NFL carrier .....carry on then?

When people start these kind of threads they need to specify whether or not it includes pro careers.  If the OP doesn't do that I take it for granted that it is only their college career.  This is a Razorback MB Forum, I think there is a pro forum also but I don't go there.

code red

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 19, 2015, 09:35:15 pm
When people start these kind of threads they need to specify whether or not it includes pro careers.  If the OP doesn't do that I take it for granted that it is only their college career.  This is a Razorback MB Forum, I think there is a pro forum also but I don't go there.
Still Joe......he was doing it when it was 3 n a cloud....but nice try.

Hog Solo

Total oversight on bill and kind of enexcusable.  He was before my time and thought the team was what made him who he was. Sorry everyone.