Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Replacement on Offensive Line Critical For Razorbacks

Started by Robert Shields, December 14, 2015, 12:07:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on December 14, 2015, 03:32:58 pm
I heard a Radio Host state on ESPN Radio on Saturday that he felt Clemson's Watson's season was a better season than Tim Tebow's.

So now what you have is a player (Tebow) who won the Heisman but another player (Watson) who had a better season and did not win the Heisman.

Watson rushed for 11 touchdowns and passed for 30. Tebow beat him (regular season) by 10. In the SEC not the milquetoast ACC. So...no.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pigsfeat on December 16, 2015, 05:06:33 pm
Yep, Tebow was a Sophomore. I still don't think Tebow was the BEST player in college football. Different systems produce different numbers. I didn't think Andre Ware was the best player in college football the year he won either! You chose Tebow and I would have chosen McFadden.

Yeah. It was the system. Right. That's why the guy who came after Tebow produced 50+ touchdowns too. Oh wait.
[CENSORED]!

LA Football fan

It was the system and how he was used.  Virtually no long runs for tds.  Most all due to him running the ball inside the 10 yard line, most times inside the 5 yard line.   It was a good system.   He was big enough and mobile enough to get the tough yards inside on the goal line and if you crowded the line of scrimmage to stop him, they would hit you with that little jump pass.  His passing for anything over 10-15 yards was pretty mediocre but he had enough talent at the wr positions to take short throws and turn them into long gains or tds.  No one is saying Tebow was not a good player but put him on any other team and he doesn't win the Heisman.  Put McFadden on most any other team and he still puts up big numbers.  There was no way Tebow as a sophomore should have won the Heisman.  It was all an ESPN media push that eventually paid off for Tebow to win.  McFadden had proven himself more than worthy by putting up back to back great seasons.  That should have been enough to put him over the top.  There was a reason most Heisman winners had been Juniors and Seniors up to that point and it was to reward them for not only that great season but the seasons beforehand also.   I don't believe a freshman or sophomore deserves to be even considered for the Heisman.  I think you should have to prove yourself over several seasons as being worthy of being named the top player in college football.

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

LSUFan

PonderinHog

Ben Steiger

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 16, 2015, 12:35:29 pm
McFadden did not get "robbed," because 1) Tebow was a sophomore not a freshman, and 2) Tebow produced 55 freaking touchdowns that season, 32 passing and 23 rushing.

Tebow produced at least four TDs in all but three games that season (Auburn, LSU, Georgia). He had a combined 8 pass + rush TDs in his worst games.

McFadden produced four TDs (no more) in two games -- Florida International, and the multi-OT game against LSU. He went 17-43 with no scores in a home loss to Auburn that got the ball rolling toward the departure of Houston Nutt. He had 19-61 against FIU, and 28-88 at home against Mississippi State in mid-November.

McFadden scored 16 rushing touchdowns in 2007 compared with Tebow's 23. McFadden added one TD from a pass reception, and four throwing from the wildcat.

McFadden was falling out of Heisman contention (after four consecutive subpar performances in the middle of the season) until his 321-yard game against South Carolina, whose run D was a joke.

In 12 regular-season games, McFadden had 304 carries for 1,725 yards and 15 rushing touchdowns, 21 catches for 164 yards and 1 TD, and 6-11 passes for 123 yards and 4 TDs. Good numbers, but McFadden wasn't as consistent or as productive as Tebow was that season.

Biggus, what was the back story with McFadden's loss to Troy Smith the year prior? I understand Ohio State was a powerhouse that season, and McFadden was a true freshman, but could you elaborate?
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Ben Steiger on December 17, 2015, 05:08:17 pm
Biggus, what was the back story with McFadden's loss to Troy Smith the year prior? I understand Ohio State was a powerhouse that season, and McFadden was a true freshman, but could you elaborate?
McFadden was a soph in 2006.  Too young in 2006.  No problem is 2007 for Tebow.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 17, 2015, 05:13:25 pm
McFadden was a soph in 2006.  Too young in 2006.  No problem is 2007 for Tebow.

This was the point I was trying to make.
Quote from: LA Football fan on December 17, 2015, 03:34:07 pm
It was the system and how he was used.  Virtually no long runs for tds.  Most all due to him running the ball inside the 10 yard line, most times inside the 5 yard line.   It was a good system.   He was big enough and mobile enough to get the tough yards inside on the goal line and if you crowded the line of scrimmage to stop him, they would hit you with that little jump pass.  His passing for anything over 10-15 yards was pretty mediocre but he had enough talent at the wr positions to take short throws and turn them into long gains or tds.  No one is saying Tebow was not a good player but put him on any other team and he doesn't win the Heisman.  Put McFadden on most any other team and he still puts up big numbers.  There was no way Tebow as a sophomore should have won the Heisman.  It was all an ESPN media push that eventually paid off for Tebow to win.  McFadden had proven himself more than worthy by putting up back to back great seasons.  That should have been enough to put him over the top.  There was a reason most Heisman winners had been Juniors and Seniors up to that point and it was to reward them for not only that great season but the seasons beforehand also.   I don't believe a freshman or sophomore deserves to be even considered for the Heisman.  I think you should have to prove yourself over several seasons as being worthy of being named the top player in college football.
And this. I know that maybe/likely I am biased but it turned me against the whole Heisman process.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

LSUFan

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Ben Steiger on December 17, 2015, 05:08:17 pm

It wasn't even close. Ohio State was 12-0 in the regular season, and Troy Smith was the Buckeyes' senior quarterback. Arkansas lost in the SECCG, and McFadden was a true sophomore (not freshman). Quarterbacks had won the Heisman in five of the previous six seasons. The exception was Reggie Bush, who was a dynamo for USC in 2005.

Smith got 801 first-place votes on Heisman ballots compared with McFadden's 45. McFadden placed second in the vote, just like Adrian Peterson did when he was a sophomore at OU. Like Marshall Faulk when he was a sophomore at San Diego State.

Sophomores won the Heisman in 2007-09. Ironic, huh? Before 2007, no sophomore had ever won the Heisman. The list of sophomores who finished in the top three of Heisman voting was short and elite -- including Larry Fitzgerald and Rex Grossman, plus the above. (Grossman had monster college stats.)

McFadden was clearly more talented than Smith, but he also wasn't in the Heisman conversation until November. He gained 45% of his pre-Heisman yards in November, in four games. Got him on the radar, not enough to push him over the top.

A lot of Hog fans remember ESPN talking heads openly campaigning for Smith, then Tebow, and that's the main reason why they have some bitterness about it.
[CENSORED]!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 17, 2015, 01:35:43 pm
Watson rushed for 11 touchdowns and passed for 30. Tebow beat him (regular season) by 10. In the SEC not the milquetoast ACC. So...no.

"Statistics are like a bikini.  The parts they show are revealing, but the parts they hide are the most important parts."

A quote from my Undergraduate School Speech Professor years ago

:)