Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Replacement on Offensive Line Critical For Razorbacks

Started by Robert Shields, December 14, 2015, 12:07:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Replacement on Offensive Line Critical for Razorback Players and Coach

Robert Shields

The loss of Razorback offensive line coach Sam Pittman is probably very significant in the near future for the University of Arkansas football program and Bret Bielema. The Razorbacks need a few more offensive linemen for this recruiting class, and it's hard to know the recruiting impact that the loss of the coach might have.

But what we do know is that an adverse impact could have lasting consequences as the program still looks to lay a more solid foundation going forward.

If Pittman has been looking to get out of Fayetteville, we could speculate that his heart was not in it and recruiting might actually improve at the position. The more likely scenario is the Razorbacks are going to have to fill a big void and hit the recruiting trail all the more to find guys to replace Sebastian Tretola, Mitch Smothers, and maybe Denver Kirkland.

To say that the offensive line did a great job this season is an understatement. The vast majority of the time, Brandon Allen had the luxury of not having to run for his life on every play. As a result, Allen remained healthy because the offensive line and Alex Collins kept defensive linemen from crushing him. The line executed its blocking on most plays to an effective level, and the credit beside the guys that had to actually block also goes to Pittman.

The line play got better as the year went on and everyone settled into their role. The offensive achievement was noticeable, and the explosion of the offense in the second half of the season against more talented SEC teams was due in large part to the offensive line. Then at the end of the year, the offensive line just flat punched out a Missouri defense that had been stingy all year. 

The offensive line was featured on the front of the Razorback media guide, and Pittman played a role to elevate those offensive line guys to the level of being a household name for Razorback fans and earning that right to be on the cover. Over the past two years, the offensive line to a great extent has been the rock stars of the team. Almost without fail, the offensive line was talked about at great length by the announcers during every Razorback game on television.

In the past, Razorback fans might have been able to name one or maybe two standout offensive linemen for the Razorbacks. With the arrival of Bielema and Pittman, the entire offensive unit across the line is known.

Assistant coaches come and go, and that is the way it is in major college football. Leaving one school for another is the best way to get a raise. Salary increases while you are at a school typically tend to be meager, but when another school wants you the raise is usually significant.

My gut tells me this emphasis on line play will not change without Pittman. Bielema believes the game is won in the trenches not on the periphery with speed, and he will certainly try to find the best offensive- line coach that he can get.

-

Heisman Trophy Proves Worthless Again

The Heisman Trophy is truly one of the most worthless awards in all of sports.

In the last two decades, the Heisman voters have given this award to several bad actors and had to strip the trophy from at least one recipient. After snubbing Peyton Manning, it was dubbed as the Heistman, which is how they should refer to it on ESPN.

It was criminal when they gave it to Tim Tebow over Darren McFadden, who ended up in the SEC record books only behind the great Herschel Walker. McFadden accomplished this in only three years while having to split carries with Felix Jones.

This year the Heisman decided to ignore a quarterback who set the NCAA all-time touchdown mark and led Navy to one of its best years in recent memory.  The trophy is supposed to go to the best player in college football, which means for this award only a running back and mostly as of late a quarterback can win. Fittingly, there is already an award for best running back and an award for best quarterback.

This is not to take away from what Derrick Henry did this year. Further, he swept up the awards and not just the Heisman. But he played in a much more dynamic offense than did Leonard Fournette of LSU. It would be interesting to know what Fournette would have looked like if he played at Alabama.

Send your awards to fromthebench@yahoo.com

The_Iceman

BearsBisonsBoars

RollHogTide

Quote from: Robert Shields on December 14, 2015, 12:07:03 pm

This is not to take away from what Derrick Henry did this year. Further, he swept up the awards and not just the Heisman. But he played in a much more dynamic offense than did Leonard Fournette of LSU. It would be interesting to know what Fournette would have looked like if he played at Alabama.

They would have split carries and each of them would have had around 1,000-yds.

Monk-N-Dunk

I do agree that the Heisman is becoming a joke. It should be awarded for best overall player, regardless of team (specifically team ranking) or player position. 

EMTOINKER82

BPsTheMan

Shields - "If Pittman has been looking to get out of Fayetteville, we could speculate that his heart was not in it..."

Shields - passive aggressive wimp whiner

DeltaBoy

I agree Robert the fact the Navy QB was not even invited to NY is a shame. I have not worried about the Heisman since DMAC got shafted back in 06-07.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HOGS82

I will personally pay out of pocket for you to:

A. Enroll in Comp. 1 & 2 at the University of Arkansas

or

B. Stop writing altogether
Quote from: mindemon on November 24, 2023, 06:58:31 pmThe 'Fire Sam Pittman' crowd are going to be eating their words next year. Trust me.

jackflash

I hated to see Pittman go. He can be replaced, I think we will get a great offensive line coach

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Monk-N-Dunk on December 14, 2015, 12:37:12 pm
I do agree that the Heisman is becoming a joke. It should be awarded for best overall player, regardless of team (specifically team ranking) or player position. 

The problem with saying "the best overall" is anyone can come up with a million different ways and criteria for what IS the best in their opinion.

I DO believe they should give out two. One for offense and one for defense. It is obvious that defensive players get shafted a lot of years.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NaturalStateReb

The whole enterprise is getting a bit silly, since it's often a numbers game.  If you're in a position that isn't getting a very significant number of touches, you're practically ineligible. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

BorderPatrol

The rookies are stepping it up in this thread.

Good job, guys.

bp

Robert Shields

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 14, 2015, 01:36:19 pm
The whole enterprise is getting a bit silly, since it's often a numbers game.  If you're in a position that isn't getting a very significant number of touches, you're practically ineligible. 

It's impossible for a defensive player to win it in this day and age, which means the award is really for the best offensive player.  Sometimes, the best player overall though in the nation is a defensive player, but he won't win the Heisman.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Robert Shields on December 14, 2015, 02:20:13 pm
It's impossible for a defensive player to win it in this day and age, which means the award is really for the best offensive player.  Sometimes, the best player overall though in the nation is a defensive player, but he won't win the Heisman.

I agree it set up for either the QB or RB and few others  Desmin Howard was the nearest thing to a WR/PT to ever win it in the past 30 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

GoHogs1091

I heard a Radio Host state on ESPN Radio on Saturday that he felt Clemson's Watson's season was a better season than Tim Tebow's.

So now what you have is a player (Tebow) who won the Heisman but another player (Watson) who had a better season and did not win the Heisman.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Robert Shields on December 14, 2015, 02:20:13 pm

Thus my point about needing one for offense and one for defense.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: HOGS82 on December 14, 2015, 01:03:23 pm
I will personally pay out of pocket for you to:

A. Enroll in Comp. 1 & 2 at the University of Arkansas

Lmao, I would throw in $20 for this!!!

reddogjcss

Coach B has UPGRADED with each new hire and will do the same with the new OL coach.
Coaches know u come here do a great job and 3-4 years can coach anywhere u want to.

greenEGnHAWGS

What?! OL coach is important for a run first offense...? Brilliant.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

greenEGnHAWGS

In other news: Christmas will fall on Dec. 25th this year. Water is good for you. And China has a lot of people...Now, back to you Robert... 
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

zane

RIP LSUfan

swineology

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Pigsfeat

I have not watched a Heisman presentation since McFadden finished second to a very average qb in Troy Smith "because Smith was an upperclassman and McFadden was an underclassman". Then to finish second again the next year to a Freshman! >:( It is all BS and is determined by ESPN's propaganda machine! Navy's Reynolds had a great career and deserved a trip to New York!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

SooiecidetillNuttgone

McCaffrey broke a record that had stood since Barry Sanders days.

DH, who had a great season, could easily have his record broken next year by Fournette, who could have the same SEC rushing record broken the following year by  different RB.

Point being, while DH's season was fantastic, McCaffrey's was dang near unique.  I just don't know how you don't reward that with the Heisman.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

josh_sec33

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

scruf

Robert Shields' posts are actually really enjoyable if you read them with the same voice as the little boy in this 13 second video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akc-BWN_-9I

Mr. Porkleone

I love the hilarious gifs these shields threads bring. Keep me coming

PonderinHog

BorderPatrol

PonderinHog

HotlantaHog

Agree with Shields that the best way for an assistant to maximize his earnings is to move from one team to another. That is also true of employees across the spectrum of jobs. Raises in the same position or same company tend to be miserly -- the best way to maximize earnings is to make a bigger career jump.

Also agree that Derrick Henry was not the best choice for the Heisman. If you give a single player the ball 45 times a game, he is going to rack up a lot of yards.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pigsfeat on December 14, 2015, 06:30:35 pm
I have not watched a Heisman presentation since McFadden finished second to a very average qb in Troy Smith "because Smith was an upperclassman and McFadden was an underclassman". Then to finish second again the next year to a Freshman! >:( It is all BS and is determined by ESPN's propaganda machine! Navy's Reynolds had a great career and deserved a trip to New York!

McFadden did not get "robbed," because 1) Tebow was a sophomore not a freshman, and 2) Tebow produced 55 freaking touchdowns that season, 32 passing and 23 rushing.

Tebow produced at least four TDs in all but three games that season (Auburn, LSU, Georgia). He had a combined 8 pass + rush TDs in his worst games.

McFadden produced four TDs (no more) in two games -- Florida International, and the multi-OT game against LSU. He went 17-43 with no scores in a home loss to Auburn that got the ball rolling toward the departure of Houston Nutt. He had 19-61 against FIU, and 28-88 at home against Mississippi State in mid-November.

McFadden scored 16 rushing touchdowns in 2007 compared with Tebow's 23. McFadden added one TD from a pass reception, and four throwing from the wildcat.

McFadden was falling out of Heisman contention (after four consecutive subpar performances in the middle of the season) until his 321-yard game against South Carolina, whose run D was a joke.

In 12 regular-season games, McFadden had 304 carries for 1,725 yards and 15 rushing touchdowns, 21 catches for 164 yards and 1 TD, and 6-11 passes for 123 yards and 4 TDs. Good numbers, but McFadden wasn't as consistent or as productive as Tebow was that season.
[CENSORED]!

carolinahogger

Line play is important in the SEC?  And we need to add new, quality O linemen every year?????

Stop the presses!!!!!!!

Ramboar

I'll be yo Huckleberry

Whiskeyhog

I haven't been on here for a couple of days.  Saw the title to this thread and automatically thought,  no stuff, really. 

Whiskeyhog

Quote from: Whiskeyhog on December 16, 2015, 01:14:38 pm
I haven't been on here for a couple of days.  Saw the title to this thread and automatically thought,  no stuff, really.

By the way stuff is not what i wrote.

DeltaBoy

thefisher

I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 16, 2015, 12:35:29 pm
McFadden did not get "robbed," because 1) Tebow was a sophomore not a freshman, and 2) Tebow produced 55 freaking touchdowns that season, 32 passing and 23 rushing.

Tebow produced at least four TDs in all but three games that season (Auburn, LSU, Georgia). He had a combined 8 pass + rush TDs in his worst games.

McFadden produced four TDs (no more) in two games -- Florida International, and the multi-OT game against LSU. He went 17-43 with no scores in a home loss to Auburn that got the ball rolling toward the departure of Houston Nutt. He had 19-61 against FIU, and 28-88 at home against Mississippi State in mid-November.

McFadden scored 16 rushing touchdowns in 2007 compared with Tebow's 23. McFadden added one TD from a pass reception, and four throwing from the wildcat.

McFadden was falling out of Heisman contention (after four consecutive subpar performances in the middle of the season) until his 321-yard game against South Carolina, whose run D was a joke.

In 12 regular-season games, McFadden had 304 carries for 1,725 yards and 15 rushing touchdowns, 21 catches for 164 yards and 1 TD, and 6-11 passes for 123 yards and 4 TDs. Good numbers, but McFadden wasn't as consistent or as productive as Tebow was that season.

Yep, Tebow was a Sophomore. I still don't think Tebow was the BEST player in college football. Different systems produce different numbers. I didn't think Andre Ware was the best player in college football the year he won either! You chose Tebow and I would have chosen McFadden.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

wupigsuey

Like linemen, lineman coaches can become rock stars here. I don't suspect finding a suitable replacement will be a problem.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Soooie21

Back in the day, it was more or a career award.....

ChiTown27

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 14, 2015, 02:33:46 pm
I agree it set up for either the QB or RB and few others  Desmin Howard was the nearest thing to a WR/PT to ever win it in the past 30 years.
Charles Woodson?
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci