Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Pittman get along with Enos ?

Started by Piggfoot, December 14, 2015, 10:59:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Nothing has been said about any rift between the two but actually Pittman was under Enos. Everyone knows now that Pittman likes Chaney so maybe he worked better for Chaney. I actually thought Pittman would leave when Chaney left.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Tusks

who knows.  I will say I think Enos is one of the better OC out there.  I want an OC that can coach the QB.

The statement by Chaney that 'they are elite players and they don't need mechanics coaching' is just plain stupid. 

If that's the case then why do professional golfers at the top of their game use swing coaches.  They ALL do and they are older and damn sure more accomplished on the PGA tour than a D1 QB.

It's the most important position on the field and in the game.  How can you NOT have a QB coach.  I never, never understood that.  If this was rugby then sure no reason to have a dedicated coach for the QB but as important a position it is, stupid not to have a dedicated coach.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PorkRinds

Screw Pittman.  I no longer care who he did or did not get along with.

PonderinHog

Quote from: tusked on December 14, 2015, 11:04:13 am
who knows.  I will say I think Enos is one of the better OC out there.  I want an OC that can coach the QB.

The statement by Chaney that 'they are elite players and they don't need mechanics coaching' is just plain stupid. 

If that's the case then why do professional golfers at the top of their game use swing coaches.  They ALL do and they are older and damn sure more accomplished on the PGA tour than a D1 QB.

It's the most important position on the field and in the game.  How can you NOT have a QB coach.  I never, never understood that.  If this was rugby then sure no reason to have a dedicated coach for the QB but as important a position it is, stupid not to have a dedicated coach.
I can understand the "don't change the mechanics" argument, but there is always something to improve upon at the QB position.  Sure, you can work on mechanics all day long, but when the lights come on, most QBs revert to what they've done all along.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 14, 2015, 11:08:48 am

I am thankful for his service... but he's the enemy now.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

SemperFi

My sentiments exactly. If you're not with us then you're against us. I live in Savannah, GA now and have made it know, well known to all these uga fans that uga has made my crap list because of Kirby Smart trying to pillage our coaching staff. I'm looking forward to a monstrous failure on their part.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

opineonswine

Who cares.  He's gone.  End of subject.  Moving on....

Mike Irwin

I heard nothing in all of this to suggest that he had issues with Enos. In fact Enos had nothing but nice things to say about Pittman after the news broke. Said he didn't know him before he got here and considers him a good friend now.

longpig

The O line's sack numbers are among the best largely in part to improved pocket presence.  Pittman should be thankful for Enos.
Don't be scared, be smart.

southarkhog06

Pittman looks like the Little League assistant Coach who gets banned from the Field because he gets in the 16 yo 1st base umps face and brings him to tears.

or the old weird guy at the Frat party that boderline sexually harrasses every coed, but everybody tolerates him because he has a shite ton of weed and pills.

SquidBilly

CBB said himself that Pittman benefited as much from working at Arkansas as Arkansas did by having him.  CBB has always had an emphasis on the lines, just look at the number of elite linemen and TEs he has coached throughout his tenure as a head coach.  Arkansas raised Pittman's profile astronomically by the amount of attention the Oline received and so that alone should have other Oline coaches ready to come here and take over.  Bielema will always give his line coaches the ability to thrive with good talent.

HogimusMaximus

Pittman is going to make  a lot of money.

BPsTheMan

I love that fact that the world knows Georgia got there number two choice at OC, and we kept Enos

We also keep CBB obviously, who gave us Enos, and who will take a hurdle like the OL vacancy and turn it into a positive

LLPL

All I know is that Enos+new OL hire > Cheney+Pittman

If Pittman is only happy when he is coaching alongside Cheney then him moving along was the best move for everybody because Cheney has no business co-ordinating an SEC offense.

Sir Oinksalot

I take Pittman at his word, 'a business decision'.  Look at Georgia's schedule and look at ours. They have 5-6 tough games we have 8. This will allow for bigger buffets and more frequent naps....and
Seeing Robs defense tank like that last season;  Qb. and running back problems and losing his best
linemen plus recruiting problems gave Pittman little confidence in us having a winning season next year or at least getting out of the hole we r n 4 some time, maybe never.......much easier climb up at Ga..

So, yes, basically it WAS a business decision.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

BorderPatrol

But...but...we MUST know ALL of the details....

What in the word did Pittman's cat eat to make him want to move to another state?

bp

Cure

They were putting up points, doesn't really matter now, but having an OL Coach with Enos' input should help big time.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

code red

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on December 14, 2015, 11:51:25 am

I take Pittman at his word, 'a business decision'.  Look at Georgia's schedule and look at ours. They have 5-6 tough games we have 8. This will allow for bigger buffets and more frequent naps....and
Seeing Robs defense tank like that last season;  Qb. and running back problems and losing his best
linemen plus recruiting problems gave Pittman little confidence in us having a winning season next year or at least getting out of the hole we r n 4 some time, maybe never.......much easier climb up at Ga..

Funny and spot on. +1
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Switchback

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on December 14, 2015, 11:51:25 am

I'd say his new situation is going to be a lot less stressful on him, the schedule, old friend etc.  CBB obviously never saw it coming.

Sir Oinksalot

...don't know, but he should have smelled it.  What if BB didn't have that huge buyout?  Ole big boy
himself might be wrestling with a business decision and maybe took every one of our coaches w/him...

Pig in the Pokey

Boom! It may not be often that we agree, but I couldn't agree more with you on that! May I add, GTFO fat ass!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

IronHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 14, 2015, 11:26:13 am
I heard nothing in all of this to suggest that he had issues with Enos. In fact Enos had nothing but nice things to say about Pittman after the news broke. Said he didn't know him before he got here and considers him a good friend now.

Personal rift vs difference in professional opinion?

I guarantee Enos wants a slimmer more active line vs the current pass block only unit.

BB is moving toward an offense first speed attack because that's Arkansas football.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

longpig

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on December 14, 2015, 11:35:02 am
Pittman is going to make  a lot of money.

Only making 25k more at UGA, is what I read.

longpig

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on December 14, 2015, 12:41:57 pm
...don't know, but he should have smelled it.  What if BB didn't have that huge buyout?  Ole big boy
himself might be wrestling with a business decision and maybe took every one of our coaches w/him...

BB has a huge buyout?

longpig

December 14, 2015, 01:02:17 pm #24 Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:47:07 pm by longpig
Quote from: IronHog on December 14, 2015, 12:48:50 pm

I guarantee Enos wants a slimmer more active line vs the current pass block only unit.

BB is moving toward an offense first speed attack because that's Arkansas football.

Does seem to be the case.  Soon as Chaney left didn't we start slimming the O line down?  Our rbs are hitting the line quicker now too, as opposed to letting the blocks develop under Chaney.  We're also not recruiting as large of kids as before, seem to be beefing up mobile 290/300ish kids instead of slimming down mid 300s.

ricepig

Quote from: longpig on December 14, 2015, 12:56:32 pm
BB has a huge buyout?

Nope, some poster's fail to understand what it is, they assume our buyout is equal to his, which we all know is wrong. $15m>$4m.

hawganatic

Quote from: tusked on December 14, 2015, 11:04:13 am

Tom Brady still works with a throwing coach every summer.  Pretty erroneous statement if Chaney really said this.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2015, 01:06:33 pm
Nope, some poster's fail to understand what it is, they assume our buyout is equal to his, which we all know is wrong. $15m>$4m.

...correct, good catch...

TrueBlue

Sorry if this has been addressed, but what was the rude comment that Pittman said to a recruit? (I have heard several people reference this but do not know the content)

DeltaBoy

I agree he played our HC and team and he can go choke on the Red Georgia Clay.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_MardDog

I agree 100%.  He is the enemy now.  Him not wanting to talk to his own players that he recruited leaves a sour taste.  Wanting to leave is one thing, but not having the balls to talk to your own players is wrong. 

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on December 14, 2015, 12:48:50 pm

We have a pass blocking only unit?  I thought our line was pretty good at run blocking as well.

What is an "offense first speed attack"?

longpig

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2015, 01:06:33 pm

That's what I thought.

WMHawgfan

All things considered I think we will be just fine. Regardless of how you feel about the on field results, CBB has done very well when it comes to hiring/replacing assistants. We lose Ash we get Smith (win for the hogs). We lose Chaney and we get Enos (win for the hogs). I have no doubt whoever he hires will be a very good o-line coach and solid recruiter.

I like that CBB admitted that it was likely a mistake not having the non-compete in Sam's contract but he took him at his word when he said you don't have to worry about me leaving. I know coaches and assistants look at other opportunities all the time, but you should never make a statement like that. It really makes you look sleazy when you leave, especially when you go to a competitor in your own conference.

Iwastherein1969

^^ This ^^
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: longpig on December 14, 2015, 01:51:14 pm
That's what I thought.

...many of you may not think $4 million is a huge buyout but the point was, again,

if Georgia had wanted BB, which obviously they didn't, they wanted the Bama DC,
if he made a Ga. business decision, he would have very likely taken many
or all off our staff.....

HVHog

longpig

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on December 14, 2015, 02:04:58 pm
...many of you may not think $4 million is a huge buyout but the point was, again,

if Georgia had wanted BB, which obviously they didn't, they wanted the Bama DC,
if he made a Ga. business decision, he would have very likely taken many
or all off our staff.....

Huge starts at 10 with buyouts and adult film. ;D

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: longpig on December 14, 2015, 02:17:22 pm
Huge starts at 10 with buyouts and adult film. ;D

...yup Chaney and his bro..."together again"...

HammusArkansus

Think Enos absolutely helped BA develop.  Something which Cheney was unwilling/unable to do.  Think Pittman 1) wants much easier recruiting task at Georgia 2) wants to be back with his buddy Cheney.  Imho - Close ranks, march on, save the emotion for KState and the recruiting battles.

Oklahawg

Enos helped iron out the kinks in the WR room, creating a better mesh between WR and QB.

Singleton's work with RBs can't be diminished either. He lost #1 and had #3 hurt, and then the new #3 hurt. And, the new #1 (old #2, y'all keeping up?) was dinged up the second half of the season. Better performance, better efficiency. All helps the OC.

But, if Enos speaks the language that BA needed spoken, he is the winner in the Chaney vs Enos debate. Plus, we have Enos and I like him. He seems more capable of winning on the recruiting trail. That matters.

Turnover happens. UGA is a destination above/beyond UA.

If CBB was touting my friend's replacement too much...yeah, I can see that it would wear on me.

Seems that CBB didn't see it coming, and Enos seemed pretty surprised also.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

If any of us had an opportunity to go work for a Guy we like to work with, get a 25K raise, be in a place where the recruiting is easer and where they will likely get more wins, we too would go.  I don't see the need to blame anyone here.  We had a good coach who maybe bettered himself.  We'll find another.

kaki

I am fine with Pittman leaving, liked him while he was here, now he is just another coach, but it seems that I remember him talking about finishing out his career here because of the proximity to home and possibly a parent living is East Kansas.  He did not have to sign a non-compete, but he also did not have to blow smoke up our arse and tell us he did not need one, because he was not going anywhere.  I prefer people to say what they mean and mean what they say.  Yes, I know things change, but that is why one does not say all the crap people want to hear, just to be saying it.  If you want to leave doors open and be flexible, fine, just don't make hollow statements or promises!

hogs dont cry

Quote from: 12247 on December 14, 2015, 03:25:01 pm
If any of us had an opportunity to go work for a Guy we like to work with, get a 25K raise, be in a place where the recruiting is easer and where they will likely get more wins, we too would go.  I don't see the need to blame anyone here.  We had a good coach who maybe bettered himself.  We'll find another.

Simple as that. 

I have no doubt this was every bit a business decision.  He didn't grow up an Arkansas fan, and a guy who has moved 11 times in 22 years isn't going to all of a sudden fall in love with Arkansas.  These guys are conditioned to do their job the best they can and never get too comfortable.  Change is pretty constant for most of them.

We would like to think they love Arkansas as much as we do, but the truth is, it's just not reality.  If you can't grasp that, you're going to be disappointed often in CFB.  In Pittman's world, he made the best move for his career and life.  We've all done it.

nonoffensiveposter

Quote from: longpig on December 14, 2015, 11:27:38 am
The O line's sack numbers are among the best largely in part to improved pocket presence.  Pittman should be thankful for Enos.

The low sack # was already among the best before Enos got here.

hogs dont cry

Quote from: nonoffensiveposter on December 14, 2015, 03:47:28 pm
The low sack # was already among the best before Enos got here.

That's exactly right.  And it really doesn't matter anyway.  That's the easiest thing about Pittman to replace.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogs dont cry on December 14, 2015, 03:51:25 pm
That's exactly right.  And it really doesn't matter anyway.  That's the easiest thing about Pittman to replace.
Yeah, just recruit a mobile quarterback.

IronHog

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on December 14, 2015, 01:22:38 pm
We have a pass blocking only unit?  I thought our line was pretty good at run blocking as well.

What is an "offense first speed attack"?

Basically BP ball.

The OL Was just OK at run blocking when you consider it was a veteran unit groomed to do just that...... few units can run and pass block at a high level though.

IronHog

Quote from: longpig on December 14, 2015, 01:02:17 pm
Does seem to be the case.  Soon as Chaney left didn't we start slimming the O line down?  Our rbs are hitting the line quicker now too, as opposed to letting the blocks develop under Chaney.  We're also not recruiting as large of kids as before, seem to be beefing up mobile 290/300ish kids instead of slimming down mid 300s.

That delay and lead draw were Chaney's problem.

Too slow

Inhogswetrust

December 14, 2015, 04:34:14 pm #49 Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:09:34 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: IronHog on December 14, 2015, 04:30:24 pm

That delay and lead draw were Chaney's problem.

Too slow

Due to his size and age though Chaney couldn't run that fast......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi