Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bowl practice important for new QB

Started by Lake City Hog, December 10, 2015, 09:31:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 20, 2015, 12:52:25 pm
That's exactly my point, in 2016 we will have a RS Jr. that has a little actual SEC game experience, a RS Soph that has been thru a couple of spring and fall practices and a RS Freshman that came in early his 1st year to get some bowl practice plus the spring and fall, yet all of them will be surpassed by a newcomer just because he is from California!

Typical Hogville, the next great player seems always to be the guy on the bench!
So, you admit it's bias clouding your judgement, then. Step 1.

#1 player OVERALL REGARDLESS OF POSITION> granted, after his injuries he dropped but that was his rating his JR year. That same year ty did well at a regional elite 11 and Hogville still mentions it. Trent Dilfer (or was it Ty Detmer? anyway,...) thought he was a senior and might make the finals. When told he was a JR, he said well next year he's a shoe-in. (Never happened, btw). Ricky, on the other hand, not only actually MADE the finals (you know, the ACTUAL Elite 11. Not the Elite 1,011) he DOMINITATED it after a poor first day. He lost in the Finals to Blake Barnett but it truly was on a few bad drops on perfect passes and Barnett's guys (including KJ Hill) were making circus catches to bail him out. TRENT DILFER CRIED. He said it was the best he'd ever seen. He went and hugged Rick Town SR and said Rick is going to be a superstar.

Ty won't get the job just because you want an Arkansas Laddie to run the team. (see how I did that?)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 20, 2015, 01:10:53 pm
Obviously you don't know nearly as much as you think, Town was NOT the #1 player in the country!
Town  #6 pro style QB and #14 overall in state
Storey #9 pro style QB and #5 overall in state

At least according to 247.

This discussion really shouldn't be about Storey, it should be about the number of people trying to pile completely unreasonable expectations on a kid that has never played a game in college. Very similar to what many of you same people did to Vinny! Just like so many of you did with Brandon Mitchell, JoJo and so many other kids.

The simple fact is that Allen will start in 2016 and unless Town or Storey just flat out blow up he will start in 2017 too. And, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! Let these kids actually have the time to grow into their position and maybe not call them a bust if they aren't All-SEC by their sophomore year!
He is only PLAYER in Arkansas history to have been rated that high , of course we have high expectations. But MINE, my personal expectations of the kid, are based off of me following his carrier and history, his evals by professional scouts, his YEARS AND YEARS of QB coaching (he's had more QB coaching than our current SR QB), his poise, his savvy, his cannon arm, his prototypical size, his gritty determination under the most stressfull of conditions. To dismiss it as "He's from Cali", "Stargazer", or Vinny-comparisons is way off in regards to myself.
I'm no sheep. I don't follow the masses. pretty much EVER.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

04-19-2014, 12:41 AM
ESPN's rankings are garbage.

247 has Town as their #1 QB and #1 overall player in the class, and #2 QB basically tied with Rosen in their Composite rankings.
Just over 1 year ago he was the #1 overall player in the country. Perhaps you should do a little googling.
@Slackaveli

Lake City Hog

You sir are losing it, I have NEVER said that Storey will start! I have said and still believe that Austin Allen will be the starter in 2106. And, barring injury will start ALL year long.

2017 is the year that Town or Storey may have a chance to unseat him, but it will take some doing for that to happen. When Tom Brady or Peyton Manning CRY over a kid I might be impressed, but Trent Dilfer?? Not so much! You could be putting just a little too much emphasis on a QB camp.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 20, 2015, 01:27:35 pm
You sir are losing it, I have NEVER said that Storey will start! I have said and still believe that Austin Allen will be the starter in 2106. And, barring injury will start ALL year long.

2017 is the year that Town or Storey may have a chance to unseat him, but it will take some doing for that to happen. When Tom Brady or Peyton Manning CRY over a kid I might be impressed, but Trent Dilfer?? Not so much! You could be putting just a little too much emphasis on a QB camp.
when did I say you said that?

Not trying to fight with you, bro. We are on the same team. Just , do this for me. It's Sunday. You're bored, right . Watch this. Man, you will LOVE it, and you will get a taste of what Ricky is about . The kid is special.

https://vimeo.com/103510675
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 20, 2015, 01:27:35 pm

iIt may be b/c of injury that Rick gets his first chance but to act like Ricky is "just one of the guys" is wrong. He was WAY more highly rated so his expectations are higher. As for Ty, BARRING INJURY he won't ever see the field here now that RT is here.
@Slackaveli

Mike Irwin

I personally believe they are trying to dial down the expectations on Town right now. No question the young man has talent but he also displayed some obvious symptoms of burn out before he got here.

Remember when Bielema said trying to bring Dominique Reed along too fast might have ruined him? Well developing a QB is even more problematic.
I was told that both Bielema and Enos asked Town not to come here if he expected immediate playing time. They told him to his face that if he came in and tried to transfer if he didn't win the job right away they would not release him. In other words they didn't want to mess with some hot shot prima donna that expected to be an instant starter or else. Town not only agreed but told them he was looking forward to having some time to learn Arkansas offense.

Compare this to what just happened at Texas A&M.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 20, 2015, 01:34:11 pm
I personally believe they are trying to dial down the expectations on Town right now. No question the young man has talent but he also displayed some obvious symptoms of burn out before he got here.

Remember when Bielema said trying to bring Dominique Reed along too fast might have ruined him? Well developing a QB is even more problematic.
I was told that both Bielema and Enos asked Town not to come here if he expected immediate playing time. They told him to his face that if he came in and tried to transfer if he didn't win the job right away they would not release him. In other words they didn't want to mess with some hot shot prima donna that expected to be an instant starter or else. Town not only agreed but told them he was looking forward to having some time to learn Arkansas offense.

Compare this to what just happened at Texas A&M.
I agree with all of this and I'm not saying he wins the starting job in the spring. Just that he IS the most talented (on paper) and from what I've seen of him he won't be denied. He DID NOT transfer here because he didn't win the starting job at USC. That wasn't the reason. I'm sure YOU know that but HV will try to say that is what you were just saying.

Just look at Josh Rosen. He played pretty great but freshman will be freshman. Rick is in that same class as Rosen, a year OLDER than Kyler Murray, and now he got to sit this year while those two played. He ALREADY has been eased in to some extent.

I'm sure the coaches want Austin to be the man for 2 years and he may be. But, I just don't see Rick not taking that job one way or the other at some point or another. His redshirt is gone now and he gets equal knowledge of the playbook st6arting now. And, also, It's not like ANY of those QBs saw Enos' playbook before he was hired just before Ricky got here anyway. They DON'T have as much of a headstart as some think.
@Slackaveli

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 20, 2015, 01:29:27 pm
iIt may be b/c of injury that Rick gets his first chance but to act like Ricky is "just one of the guys" is wrong. He was WAY more highly rated so his expectations are higher. As for Ty, BARRING INJURY he won't ever see the field here now that RT is here.
Pure speculation. People on this board who make definitive statements like this fail to account for the unexpected. I've been surprised way too much over the years to be that certain about anything. I recently wrote here that there is no way Peavey would ever win the job. That was dumb on my part. It's highly unlikely but not impossible.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 20, 2015, 01:38:21 pm
Pure speculation. People on this board who make definitive statements like this fail to account for the unexpected. I've been surprised way too much over the years to be that certain about anything. I recently wrote here that there is no way Peavey would ever win the job. That was dumb on my part. It's highly unlikely but not impossible.
agree. just .... Peavey/Storey < 10% chance to see the field meaningfully. But, yes, it is speculation.
@Slackaveli

jgphillips3

Let's face it.  After watching us not even put in AA against Mizzou last year when BA was hurt, we all just want to see a legit battle among the QB's and someone go out and take the job versus defaulting into it.  At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which one of our guys take command, we just want to see more competition and a clear winner emerge.  AA has experience, Town has the most raw talent.  Peavey and Storey are in between.  I just want at least two of the four to go at it tooth and nail and give the coaches more to work with.  No one was close to BA and that was bad for the team as a whole because we didn't really have a competent, confident #2 who could step in.

Lake City Hog

Dude, your borderline obsession with Town is almost spooky.

I really don't care who starts, I don't care who is 2nd team or even who leaves! I want the Hogs to win and if they can do that with Pokey as QB I'm fine with that.

I'm just "reading the tea leaves" and my take is that AA will be the guy in 2016 and most probably in 2107. That just appears to be BB's MO. Which guy is willing to put in the time and effort to take that #2 position and wait until his number is called? To me, that is the big question. Will 1 guy do it and 1 guy leave? Will 2 guys fight for that #2 spot for the next 2 years?

I've listened to the same old song about how the guy on the bench is always the guy that could lead us to bigger and better things if only the dumb coaches would just give him the chance. Or how a kid is the starter cause his dad works in the football office or any number of equally stupid reasons. I don't agree with every move that any coach makes, but I do believe that all coaches play the kids that THEY think give them the best chance to win.

I just happen to believe that BB feels like Austin Allen gives us the best chance to win in 2106. Do I agree with him? Right now, probably. Does it even matter if I agree with him? Does it matter if Mike Irwin agrees with him? NO! And, that is how it is supposed to work.

Coaches coach and Fans 2nd guess and rarely do the two meet in the middle!

jcharkansas

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 20, 2015, 01:38:21 pm
Just wondering, what is it about Peavey that makes you think he's not good enough to ever play, he was really good in high school just like the other Qbs we have on the roster. Seems he's got a shot doesn't he?
Since we don't get to watch pactices maybe you have some information about his performance or others performances that you can let us in on? Is that where you get that Peaveys not gonna ever play?

King Kong

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 20, 2015, 01:26:43 pm
04-19-2014, 12:41 AM
ESPN's rankings are garbage.

247 has Town as their #1 QB and #1 overall player in the class, and #2 QB basically tied with Rosen in their Composite rankings.
Just over 1 year ago he was the #1 overall player in the country. Perhaps you should do a little googling.

http://247sports.com/Article/QB-Ricky-Town-at-No-1-heads-the-updated-Top247-for-2015-178080

Attached is a link for when he was ranked the number overall player regardless of position by 247. He eventually dropped in 247 to around 50th overall.

That being said I think it's Austin for the next 2 years.

But Town is probably the most Talented QB on campus.

colbs

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 11, 2015, 08:26:21 am
I wish Casey Dick had had a QB brother, and a Dad who is a coach with the program.

Maybe by 2019 we'll shake the good ole boy system of doing things and go out and recruit the best QB talent in the nation, not just in Fayetteville and the kids of the coach.
I wish you were the coach.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: jcharkansas on December 20, 2015, 04:00:09 pm
Just wondering, what is it about Peavey that makes you think he's not good enough to ever play, he was really good in high school just like the other Qbs we have on the roster. Seems he's got a shot doesn't he?
Since we don't get to watch pactices maybe you have some information about his performance or others performances that you can let us in on? Is that where you get that Peaveys not gonna ever play?
Seems lost when it comes to the passing game. In his latest evaluation of the back up QBs during the bowl developmental practices Bielema said Peavey held on to the ball too long.

Kevin

If you just listen to how cbb has talked about Austin since august, would know he is the starter next year. Plus look at his history.

He said in his recent press conference they knew aj derby could not play qb and was a tight end, but there h e was playing qb , why cbb does not play young qb's unless he just has too
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

xxtomassxx1980

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 20, 2015, 01:36:56 pm
And, also, It's not like ANY of those QBs saw Enos' playbook before he was hired just before Ricky got here anyway. They DON'T have as much of a headstart as some think.
^this +1000

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 20, 2015, 05:33:04 pm
Seems lost when it comes to the passing game. In his latest evaluation of the back up QBs during the bowl developmental practices Bielema said Peavey held on to the ball too long.

Old habits die hard I guess. From what I've seen, which is just about as much as anyone else I suppose, he did a lot of damage to other teams in high school with his legs.
This is my non-signature signature.

xxtomassxx1980

Quote from: Kevin on December 20, 2015, 09:46:57 pm
If you just listen to how cbb has talked about Austin since august, would know he is the starter next year. Plus look at his history.

He said in his recent press conference they knew aj derby could not play qb and was a tight end, but there h e was playing qb , why cbb does not play young qb's unless he just has too
I'm willing to bet that CBB has never had this good of a QB situation. I do believe AA has the advantage right now. But I also believe that RT has the best physical tools of all the QBs. The tapes don't lie.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: xxtomassxx1980 on December 20, 2015, 10:42:27 pm
I'm willing to bet that CBB has never had this good of a QB situation. I do believe AA has the advantage right now. But I also believe that RT has the best physical tools of all the QBs. The tapes don't lie.
Truth
@Slackaveli

secneahog

After watching the Elite 11 video, I'm more impressed with Town. Kid is going to be a beast. I just see AA getting it done.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

LZH

I wonder if BB has enough Nutts to use a quick trigger when it comes to his starting QB?

BTW, can anyone imagine even having this discussion at ANY time during HDN's tenure? 'We've come a long way baby'.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on December 21, 2015, 05:08:55 am
I wonder if BB has enough Nutts to use a quick trigger when it comes to his starting QB?

BTW, can anyone imagine even having this discussion at ANY time during HDN's tenure? 'We've come a long way baby'.

The closest thing would be Ryan and Tyler. But that is 2 and there are 4 with legit talent to compete. Now if we could only get the linebacker position in this kind of shape.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Steef

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 21, 2015, 05:55:19 am
The closest thing would be Ryan and Tyler. But that is 2 and there are 4 with legit talent to compete. Now if we could only get the linebacker position in this kind of shape.

Not to be contrary, but Ryan didn't come until HDN had left. Still, that WAS a good QB situation for us.

This one just may be better.

Agree completely on the linebacker situation. But it IS improving.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Steef on December 21, 2015, 05:58:31 am
Not to be contrary, but Ryan didn't come until HDN had left. Still, that WAS a good QB situation for us.

This one just may be better.

Agree completely on the linebacker situation. But it IS improving.

I was thinking more from the fan side. There were some great arguments on who should be starting. Until that season started many had hopes Tyler would win the position.

Yep this is going to be a great competition. Also I think many are under estimating AA as he was not a chump coming out of HS. He had some accolades as well.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

code red

Well, if Enos I'd as good as we think....it shouldn't be a problem developing a Q.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Kevin

Quote from: xxtomassxx1980 on December 20, 2015, 10:42:27 pm

You are probably right, but I don't think it will matter.  Cbb's history is he will do whatever do not start a young (in age) qb.

Imo, it is Austin's job
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kevin on December 21, 2015, 07:04:06 am
You are probably right, but I don't think it will matter.  Cbb's history is he will do whatever do not start a young (in age) qb.

Imo, it is Austin's job

I think the point he was trying to make is when has CBB had 2,3 and 4 QBs this good? He hasn't. While I agree his history reflects a coach who uses the most experienced QB.

However, I don't think there is in his history a time where his #2 or 3 were four star QBs with the accolades these guys have. It will be very interesting to see what happens if one of the more inexperienced QBs begins to blow everything up.

How will CBB respond when one of them throws TD after TD, takes us out of a bad formation and into a formation that exposes the defense, etc...

jkstock04

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 20, 2015, 01:56:51 pm
Let's face it.  After watching us not even put in AA against Mizzou last year when BA was hurt, we all just want to see a legit battle among the QB's and someone go out and take the job versus defaulting into it.  At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which one of our guys take command, we just want to see more competition and a clear winner emerge.  AA has experience, Town has the most raw talent.  Peavey and Storey are in between.  I just want at least two of the four to go at it tooth and nail and give the coaches more to work with.  No one was close to BA and that was bad for the team as a whole because we didn't really have a competent, confident #2 who could step in.
This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I never said Austin Allen wouldn't be the guy...I just had hopes that one or two of the others were talented enough to step up this spring and challenge him. Looks like that isn't going to be the case which is disappointing to me as a fan. It's already a done deal and spring practice is months off.

This is the most likely scenerio...that the others just aren't good enough to challenge Austin Allen...and what Enos has (supposedly) said validates this. The only other scenerio is that it is a default type situation where you pay your dues and automatically get the starting spot based on seniority. I personally find that scenerio unlikely.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Mike Irwin

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 20, 2015, 01:56:51 pm
Did you happen to watch the 2014 Ole Miss game? Arkansas was up 17-0 in the first half when BA got hurt and had to come out. AA came in and did the job. The Hogs won 30-0.

It's been explained many times that BB did not put AA into the Missouri game last year because he did not like his laid back approach to practice. That changed last spring. BB has said several times this season that he's very happy with what he's getting out of AA these days. Both BB and Dan Enos said earlier in the season that AA was solid at #2. None of the other QBs were close to him. Bielema also stated he would not hesitate to go with AA should BA have to come out of a game.

These are facts not speculation.

King Kong

Quote from: LZH on December 21, 2015, 05:08:55 am

In his last season at Wisconsin he benched former ACC freshman of the year Danny O'Brien for a RS Freshman Joel Stave.

scruf

Not sure why everyone is so quick to discount Austin's talent by just pointing out that he's the only one with any live game experience - like it's his one edge. Just a reminder that he had offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee and Ole Miss (http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Austin-Allen-14696/RecruitInterests). He was a Composite 4* on 247. Check out his film and to those still in the "good old boy network" crowd, get over yourselves. AA is legit. He's SEC caliber.

Hogs are in a great position with their current crop of QBs. All of them are very, very talented and the best man will win the job. Period. Bobby Allen has no sway over who plays QB at Arkansas. Hasn't for over a decade.

Austin Allen's Senior HUDL:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/445886/highlights/35761373/v2

PonderinHog

I think the fact the Austin played well enough against Ole Miss is why so many fans couldn't understand why he never saw the field at Mizzou, one week later.  BA was obviously injured in BOTH games.  If CBB didn't want to throw AA into the inferno at Mizzou on the road, I wish he would have just said that.

I'm almost over it.  Moving on...  :razorback:

scruf

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 21, 2015, 08:17:33 am
I think the fact the Austin played well enough against Ole Miss is why so many fans couldn't understand why he never saw the field at Mizzou, one week later.  BA was obviously injured in BOTH games.  If CBB didn't want to throw AA into the inferno at Mizzou on the road, I wish he would have just said that.

I'm almost over it.  Moving on...  :razorback:
Agree.

PonderinHog

ricepig

jkstock04

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 21, 2015, 08:06:23 am
Did you happen to watch the 2014 Ole Miss game? Arkansas was up 17-0 in the first half when BA got hurt and had to come out. AA came in and did the job. The Hogs won 30-0.

It's been explained many times that BB did not put AA into the Missouri game last year because he did not like his laid back approach to practice. That changed last spring. BB has said several times this season that he's very happy with what he's getting out of AA these days. Both BB and Dan Enos said earlier in the season that AA was solid at #2. None of the other QBs were close to him. Bielema also stated he would not hesitate to go with AA should BA have to come out of a game.

These are facts not speculation.
They let him throw the ball what...4 or 5 times? Of course there was no reason to really throw the ball the way our defense was playing but still that game didn't really show off his skill set.

The thing is...that Mizzou ordeal is the last thing we really know as fact concerning AA....and what we know now is the qbs behind him aren't good enough to even challenge him for the #1 spot this spring. Is complacement like that good for the team? I dont think it is. I think competition (especially in spring ball) is a great motivater for all positions.

And yes I did read everything you posted concerning what Bielema has said about Austin Allen this year. Some of that could be coachspeak though...look at all that stuff he said about the players and conditioning this past summer/early fall.

It is what it is...I'm not surprised Allen will be our starter in 2016. Just thought there would be some actual competition to get there. I guess maybe there will be some competition for the #2 spot? Or is that wrapped up already as well?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

LZH

I guess I should start using my sarcasm button again.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 20, 2015, 02:47:44 pm
Dude, your borderline obsession with Town is almost spooky.

I really don't care who starts, I don't care who is 2nd team or even who leaves! I want the Hogs to win and if they can do that with Pokey as QB I'm fine with that.

I'm just "reading the tea leaves" and my take is that AA will be the guy in 2016 and most probably in 2107. That just appears to be BB's MO. Which guy is willing to put in the time and effort to take that #2 position and wait until his number is called? To me, that is the big question. Will 1 guy do it and 1 guy leave? Will 2 guys fight for that #2 spot for the next 2 years?

I've listened to the same old song about how the guy on the bench is always the guy that could lead us to bigger and better things if only the dumb coaches would just give him the chance. Or how a kid is the starter cause his dad works in the football office or any number of equally stupid reasons. I don't agree with every move that any coach makes, but I do believe that all coaches play the kids that THEY think give them the best chance to win.

I just happen to believe that BB feels like Austin Allen gives us the best chance to win in 2106. Do I agree with him? Right now, probably. Does it even matter if I agree with him? Does it matter if Mike Irwin agrees with him? NO! And, that is how it is supposed to work.

Coaches coach and Fans 2nd guess and rarely do the two meet in the middle!
Yes, I have a spooky obbsession with the Hogs. They hold WAY too much power over me. Maybe that has something to do with why I'm very excited about the HIGHEST RATED kid we've ever signed since we started doing ratings in recruiting.

The only reason I brought it up is, well, you guys. People like YOU who  see the kids from Arkansas on their roster and hype them well past their ratings whilst not knowing diddly squat about one of the highest rated kids we've ever signed regardless of position.

And then laughably tried to flip it all on me. Like I'm the one trippin. lmao.
@Slackaveli

lefty08

Everyone keeps claiming BB defaults to the older, more experienced player, yet, in the 1 QB competition he had decided since being here he chose the younger QB. Interesting huh?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: King Kong on December 20, 2015, 04:37:14 pm
http://247sports.com/Article/QB-Ricky-Town-at-No-1-heads-the-updated-Top247-for-2015-178080

Attached is a link for when he was ranked the number overall player regardless of position by 247. He eventually dropped in 247 to around 50th overall.

That being said I think it's Austin for the next 2 years.

But Town is probably the most Talented QB on campus.
A USC commit and a U.S. Army All-American, Town has long been considered one of the top players in the nation by the entire recruiting industry. At 247Sports, we consider him the most college ready quarterback we've seen in five years. Despite a junior season that was dampened by injury, Town's film and body of work were enough for us to make the move on him as the nation's best.

I CAN NOT imagine why Hogville doesn't think this guy is going to beat out Allen, Peavey, and Storey.

@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: lefty08 on December 21, 2015, 09:02:08 am
Everyone keeps claiming BB defaults to the older, more experienced player, yet, in the 1 QB competition he had decided since being here he chose the younger QB. Interesting huh?
And he took in Russell Wilson over the dude all of Wisconsin thought was the Heir apparent.

Quotes from 2 years ago saying Town was the 'most college ready QB' make me think he will rise to the challenge.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

December 21, 2015, 09:07:33 am #194 Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:23:44 am by Pig in the Pokey
Quote from: secneahog on December 21, 2015, 12:52:49 am
After watching the Elite 11 video, I'm more impressed with Town. Kid is going to be a beast. I just see AA getting it done.
THANK YOU SIR. Im pretty sure none of the critics of Town even watched that but if they did , no way they wouldn't just be agreeing with us.

And for the record, I really like Austin, Rafe, and Ty. I followed their careers in HS and recruiting closely. I just can't do anything but call it like I see it and I've watched a bit of tape on them all (Ty less so) and they all look like they could pan out in the SEC. But Town, on film, is the most accurate, polished, passer with the quickest release. Add in the intangible things like the Elite 11 and I can't help but elevate him above the others, despite my homerism wishing the local kids would rise up. Have the other 3 been put thru ANYTHING like what RT went thru at the E11? I seriously doubt it. Kid gets an A+ in "poise" with the way he fought thru the adversary. I think a lot of people picked a reason for why they think RT ended up here. The reason most likely chosen by the uninformed being not very flattering to RT, and it is dead wrong. RT didnt want to spend 4 years playing for that staff and gtfo. Yet his own team's fans (that's us) think he left b/c he's spoiled and got beat out. That is so short-sighted.
@Slackaveli

bphi11ips

Quote from: scruf on December 21, 2015, 08:14:38 am
Not sure why everyone is so quick to discount Austin's talent by just pointing out that he's the only one with any live game experience - like it's his one edge. Just a reminder that he had offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee and Ole Miss (http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Austin-Allen-14696/RecruitInterests). He was a Composite 4* on 247. Check out his film and to those still in the "good old boy network" crowd, get over yourselves. AA is legit. He's SEC caliber.

Hogs are in a great position with their current crop of QBs. All of them are very, very talented and the best man will win the job. Period. Bobby Allen has no sway over who plays QB at Arkansas. Hasn't for over a decade.

Austin Allen's Senior HUDL:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/445886/highlights/35761373/v2

This.  AA's high school film is better than BA's.  He's looked sharp so far in mop up roles.  He'll be aredshirt junior.  Would you rather have a redshirt junior 4-star with 3 4'stars in the wings or a 5-star sophomore and a 5-star freshman who read their own press clippings?  Arkansas is in good shape folks.

As for facts, it's a fact the CBB said immediately after the Missouri game that maybe he should have put AA in but that BA wanted to play.  He said all week that AA was ready to go and he had confidence in him if so.  Did AA get too "laid back" in one week?  We don't question whether Mike Irwin asked CBB in August whether AA's "laid back" approach is the reason he didn't play against Missouri.  We don't question whether Bielema answered "yes".  What we question is which answer is most likely to be correct.  That's what jurors do when faced with conflicting testimony, just like the public when a politician contradicts himself.  Which is mostly likely to be true - the statement made contemporaneously with the event, which happenes to be consistent with recent circumstances, or the one made 9 months later in response to a reporter's question (which may or may not have been leading)?  Based upon my experience and common sense, I'll go with the former.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RME

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 21, 2015, 09:03:56 am
A USC commit and a U.S. Army All-American, Town has long been considered one of the top players in the nation by the entire recruiting industry. At 247Sports, we consider him the most college ready quarterback we've seen in five years. Despite a junior season that was dampened by injury, Town's film and body of work were enough for us to make the move on him as the nation's best.

I CAN NOT imagine why Hogville doesn't think this guy is going to beat out Allen, Peavey, and Storey.

Dude, I understand why ratings exist. And yeah, I'll concede that the majority of the time, highly rated prospects turn out to be very good college football players. But you're dubbing Town as the second coming of Jesus. Ratings and stars and everything like that means jack squat if performances on the field don't match. How many players have we seen that fell off the map pretty quickly? I am not saying at all that this pertains to Town. That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is have some tampered expectations. He could start next year and lead Arkansas to a 10 win season. No one knows. But to act like he is the next Heisman winner based off of some Rivals and 247Sports rankings and an Elite 11 video is a bit ridiculous.

Remember this "can't miss" guy? http://sports.yahoo.com/uga/football/recruiting/player-Mitch-Mustain-30346

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 21, 2015, 09:18:32 am
Dude, I understand why ratings exist. And yeah, I'll concede that the majority of the time, highly rated prospects turn out to be very good college football players. But you're dubbing Town as the second coming of Jesus. Ratings and stars and everything like that means jack squat if performances on the field don't match. How many players have we seen that fell off the map pretty quickly? I am not saying at all that this pertains to Town. That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is have some tampered expectations. He could start next year and lead Arkansas to a 10 win season. No one knows. But to act like he is the next Heisman winner based off of some Rivals and 247Sports rankings and an Elite 11 video is a bit ridiculous.

Remember this "can't miss" guy? http://sports.yahoo.com/uga/football/recruiting/player-Mitch-Mustain-30346

Isn't he the guy who was 8-0 in 2006  and had better stats than Matthew Stafford (another true freshman) that year?  Too bad we didn't have four years with him.  Wonder what happened.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 21, 2015, 09:16:01 am
This.  AA's high school film is better than BA's.  He's looked sharp so far in mop up roles.  He'll be aredshirt junior.  Would you rather have a redshirt junior 4-star with 3 4'stars in the wings or a 5-star sophomore and a 5-star freshman who read their own press clippings?  Arkansas is in good shape folks.

As for facts, it's a fact the CBB said immediately after the Missouri game that maybe he should have put AA in but that BA wanted to play.  He said all week that AA was ready to go and he had confidence in him if so.  Did AA get too "laid back" in one week?  We don't question whether Mike Irwin asked CBB in August whether AA's "laid back" approach is the reason he didn't play against Missouri.  We don't question whether Bielema answered "yes".  What we question is which answer is most likely to be correct.  That's what jurors do when faced with conflicting testimony, just like the public when a politician contradicts himself.  Which is mostly likely to be true - the statement made contemporaneously with the event, which happenes to be consistent with recent circumstances, or the one made 9 months later in response to a reporter's question (which may or may not have been leading)?  Based upon my experience and common sense, I'll go with the former.
fwiw Ricky looked WORLDS better than Kyler Murray.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 21, 2015, 09:18:32 am

Mustain couldn't hold RT's jock.

Do you know what the Elite 11 is? Like, what ALL they go thru? It's like Navy Seals training, man! B.U.D.S. is the model.

All I'm acting like is RT is the best QB on paper we've EVER had (maybe Fergusen). We finally sign a guy like that and people still scream 'stars don't matter'. They aren't the be-all end-all, but they most certainly matter. It is way more than the stars with me on Rick. I guess, in the end, you will all know.
@Slackaveli