Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bowl practice important for new QB

Started by Lake City Hog, December 10, 2015, 09:31:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

This may help a bit in understanding the probable QB pecking order at least the beginning of the spring.

Especially for Storey and Town.
Austin Allen and Peavey at least practice the Razorbacks' plays in their varsity reps behind Brandon Allen. Storey and Town operate weekly simulating the opponent's plays while quarterbacking the scout-team offense.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/dec/05/extra-practices-key-for-hogs-next-qb-20/

regi

Austin will start 2016, Town will be #2. There you go.

Lake City Hog

Did you read the part about Enos had to draw the plays for him? I honestly look for Ty to be the back-up after the spring.

RockyMtnHog

Lake I think that you are right.  AA will start and Storey will be the backup.  Town may show something in the Spring but unless we have QB injuries I do not think that Peavey sees the field.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

onebadrubi

I know this is against popular opinion but I don't think town wins the job next year. I think town will just need another spring of just getting involved.  I think it will be between peavy and Austin with Storey knocking on the door in the spring. storey may show a lot of flashes in the spring but I'd bet his real shot to shine will come in fall camp if he can overtake Austin or Peavy.  I think just maturing on campus and in the sec means a lot especially at QB.  BA has shown you don't have to have Mallett type arm or Cam newton legs, but having a mature head that slows the game down can make a world of difference while still being able to make all the throws. A young QB can let the game speed up and throw us out of a game.  We need not a game manager but a gamer at heart that has timing down with the receivers and the ability to read Defense, which is why I think town especially will be just a step or two behind the rest till next fall.

tophawg19

i don't know why y'all keep counting Peavey out. he has easily the best arm and is the most mobile and can really run. The coaches say he is coming along really well. but he isn't hogville good . with a new group of o-linemen , that mobility will really pay off . He struggled early reading defenses but that is typical of freshmen changing offenses. This reminds me of Tyler Wilson and how everyone wrote him off saying he couldn't take a snap . lol really nailed that one huh .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

incHOGnito

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 10, 2015, 10:51:40 pm
i don't know why y'all keep counting Peavey out. he has easily the best arm and is the most mobile and can really run. The coaches say he is coming along really well. but he isn't hogville good . with a new group of o-linemen , that mobility will really pay off . He struggled early reading defenses but that is typical of freshmen changing offenses. This reminds me of Tyler Wilson and how everyone wrote him off saying he couldn't take a snap . lol really nailed that one huh .

I hope the best QB starts. Don't care who it is.

onebadrubi

He was Hogville All American last year. Next year Ricky will be pushed to current peavy status and the new QB from La will be this years town.  It's just how the bandwagon around here works, sadly. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: incHOGnito on December 10, 2015, 11:08:19 pm

This is something I feel confident in.  But it will be the best for the entire team, not the most talented arm, or the most mobile, or because a coaches son. 

King

I agree, but I hope there is a short leash until someone shows they can win games.

Cinco de Hogo

We will never know, but you can alway hang you hat on "the coaches know".

Flatline

What we do know is that we have some very high rated QB's coming out of high school that will compete for the job. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: King on December 10, 2015, 11:36:32 pm
I agree, but I hope there is a short leash until someone shows they can win games.

I understand your reasoning, but a disagree.

I don't want the coach to leave someone in who is really stinking the place up, but Spurrier had a short leash these last several seasons and nobody ever seemed to ''grow'' into the position.

He bailed whenever there was adversity and subbed.
Consequently, the QBs never looked comfortable.  They always seemed to be tentative, a little scared.

Medium leash is what I hope for.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

michaels

If you dont have a qb showing incredible physical ability over the qbs you already have (which i believe to be the case) you go with who has the most leadership ability and experience. Not to say there wont be a competition & running scout doesn't mean a damn thing if you are learning the playbook, but AA has the clear advantage imo.

bphi11ips

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 10, 2015, 11:20:01 pm
This is something I feel confident in.  But it will be the best for the entire team, not the most talented arm, or the most mobile, or because a coaches son. 

Maybe I've been reading a different Hogville where Peavey is the one who can't throw or compete and is bound to transfer. 

They're all good.  Allen has three full years of practice, Peavey has two, Storey and Town have one.  One thing I'ved noticed about Bielema's QBs is that he's pretty good at math.  Bowl practice QBs are just further proof of that.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

VirginiaHog

Because AA has already beaten him out for the #2spot 2 yrs in a row. If Rafe were better than AA he would have been BAs backup.

razoredge178

I wish Casey Dick had had a QB brother, and a Dad who is a coach with the program.

Maybe by 2019 we'll shake the good ole boy system of doing things and go out and recruit the best QB talent in the nation, not just in Fayetteville and the kids of the coach.

code red

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 11, 2015, 08:26:21 am
I wish Casey Dick had had a QB brother, and a Dad who is a coach with the program.

Maybe by 2019 we'll shake the good ole boy system of doing things and go out and recruit the best QB talent in the nation, not just in Fayetteville and the kids of the coach.
I think we did recruit the best QB.....and I have been hard on him but in all reality he has gone thru 3 coordinators in his tenure on the hill.  If he had been under Enos' tutelage the whole time it would be scary how good BA would be.  Plus,  he had limited weapons in 2013-2014.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on December 11, 2015, 02:58:04 am
I understand your reasoning, but a disagree.

I don't want the coach to leave someone in who is really stinking the place up, but Spurrier had a short leash these last several seasons and nobody ever seemed to ''grow'' into the position.

He bailed whenever there was adversity and subbed.
Consequently, the QBs never looked comfortable.  They always seemed to be tentative, a little scared.

Medium leash is what I hope for.
I agree.  Leave the short leash stuff for Hogville.  The coaches know what they are doing.

hoggusamoungus

His QB brother, Nathan, was so good he transferred to UCA.

SemperHawg

I've not seen any of them in any more game action then the rest here so there is no reason to speculate as to which QB brings the best overall game to the table.  If I were going to offer something that I have seen more than once in person, and my only "knock" on Peavey is, he is not very big.  I've seen some of our depth charts list him at 6'2'.  I am barely 6 feet tall and was easily taller than Rafe both times I have stood next to him.

Razorfox

Seriously? 

First, we had Nathan Dick also, who was Casey's brother.  So that's fail number one.

Second, BA had a record breaking (and should've been all-SEC type season) and yet you want the Allen brother's to be gone so someone else good can take their place?  Fail number two. 

PorkRinds

Anyone that still thinks this is challenged...

DeltaBoy

They will get some valuable work during the bowl prep.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

code red

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 11, 2015, 08:40:26 am
I've not seen any of them in any more game action then the rest here so there is no reason to speculate as to which QB brings the best overall game to the table.  If I were going to offer something that I have seen more than once in person, and my only "knock" on Peavey is, he is not very big.  I've seen some of our depth charts list him at 6'2'.  I am barely 6 feet tall and was easily taller than Rafe both times I have stood next to him.
How tall is AA????  Bout the same as BA??  IDK.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

a0ashle

my 2 cents...

1) A lot can change between now and next training camp, it is pretty futile to try and predict next years QB this year. The only exception would be in expecting our current #2 to become the #1 as a natural succession.

2) I feel like there is a lot of unwarranted contempt for the idea of AA being the QB next year. This may be fallout from when people thought BA couldn't play, but we should be past that now and regardless AA is not the same person as BA is.

SemperHawg

Quote from: code red on December 11, 2015, 08:44:25 am
How tall is AA????  Bout the same as BA??  IDK.
Again, just strictly going off of when I have stood next to them on a couple of occasions.  BA and AA both look to be in the legit 6'1 6'2' range, Rafe was not.  I am basing this of off how tall I am. 

Also Storey could easily be mistaken for a coach when not in pads.  The dude looks like he is in his 30's.  I obviously know he isn't, and I know this means nothing. I just remember being taken aback by how much older he looked than the other kids.

razoredge178

Quote from: code red on December 11, 2015, 08:32:26 am
I think we did recruit the best QB.....and I have been hard on him but in all reality he has gone thru 3 coordinators in his tenure on the hill.  If he had been under Enos' tutelage the whole time it would be scary how good BA would be.  Plus,  he had limited weapons in 2013-2014.

I agree BA has done an adequate job. But really, what is the statistical likelihood that in this fine country of high school football teams, that our best back to back QB recruits would be brothers, with dad on staff?

Its the good ole boy system. Which will be verified when all but two of our QB's request releases in the Spring. I hope I'm proven wrong.

TDHawgs

Wasn't Austin Allen rated way higher than his older brother coming out of High School?  Didn't Alabama want him? I'd be shocked if Austin isn't our QB next year, not that I don't love our other QB's. I just want the best one out there.

code red

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 11, 2015, 09:08:24 am
I agree BA has done an adequate job. But really, what is the statistical likelihood that in this fine country of high school football teams, that our best back to back QB recruits would be brothers, with dad on staff?

Its the good ole boy system. Which will be verified when all but two of our QB's request releases in the Spring. I hope I'm proven wrong.
I would expect AA and Storey would leave as well if the shoe where on the other foot.  I trust Eno's....he is a developer.

Razorfox

This makes no sense.  If they were CBB's kids you MIGHT have a point.  But in what world does the boss risk his own job because he feels like he needs to take care of the kids of someone that works for him?  What power or influence does Coach Allen have over CBB? 

No, a more simple solution is that there is a family of QBs that are good players that also happen to have been easy to recruit to play here based on geography and family connection.  Why go around the country when you can get something just as good next door? 

code red

Quote from: Razorfox on December 11, 2015, 09:21:53 am
This makes no sense.  If they were CBB's kids you MIGHT have a point.  But in what world does the boss risk his own job because he feels like he needs to take care of the kids of someone that works for him?  What power or influence does Coach Allen have over CBB? 

No, a more simple solution is that there is a family of QBs that are good players that also happen to have been easy to recruit to play here based on geography and family connection.  Why go around the country when you can get something just as good next door? 
Agree I believe AA was a 4 star if you pass on him....somebody was going to sign him.

RME

Some people think that small-town high school football politics can roll over into college football where a guy is paid $3-$4 million to make the decisions.

PorkRinds

You will be. Absolutely zero chance we only have two qbs in our roster next season.  No chance at all. And if some transfer it won't support your insane position. It'll say they want to go somewhere they can play.  The Allen brothers are both 4 stars from our back yard. The real question is why wouldn't we take them  instead of taking a risk on an out I state kid who may it may not come here? Coach B owes bobby Allen nothing. You can't honestly believe coach B demoted him when he got here, but is now doing him a solid by playing his sons and putting all their jobs at risk.

a0ashle

I am not buying the idea that AA will start because of his name, he may start because he has more experience, but why on earth do you think CBB would put a QB in that he didn't think would give us the best shot?

go hogues

Wow. Tons of fail.

BA was a 4* QB out of high school who everyone wanted and Petrino had to fight hard to land. Austin was rated the same but many said he had even more upside than BA. He was also recruited by Bobby Petrino (Hogville's Christ) among most of the other elite programs in the nation.

Stop letting your a$$ do your posting on here.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HogimusMaximus

You should be ashamed of yourself invoking Christ's name in reference to Bobby...shame on you.

a0ashle

The thought of CBB taking part in the "Good ole boy" system is very amusing.

razoredge178

Hmmm, I don't know...the same Coach Bobby Allen that influenced Nutt to recruit both Dicks maybe?

Listen folks, you can't deny the overall QB oddness and craziness over the last decade, from the Dicks to the Allens, Mallet to Michigan, Malzahns boy to USC after the Nutt implosion.

But who has outlasted all of them? Broyles is gone, Long hasn't been here that long, Nutt, Petrino, and now Bielema...

Bobby Allen. 18 years at the UofA. Dudes got some influence..

h0gfan6

Peyton and Eli
David and Derek Carr
Josh and Luke McCown
Matt and Tim Hasselbeck
Koy and Ty Detmer
Brock and Damon Huard
Carson and Jordan Palmer

Yeah, there's not really a history of brothers being successful quarterbacks. 

Oh, wait. 

razoredge178

Which ones went to the same schools? With Dad on staff? That list goes to 0 hero. Making it a statistical phenomenon.

RME

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 11, 2015, 09:43:30 am
Hmmm, I don't know...the same Coach Bobby Allen that influenced Nutt to recruit both Dicks maybe?

Listen folks, you can't deny the overall QB oddness and craziness over the last decade, from the Dicks to the Allens, Mallet to Michigan, Malzahns boy to USC after the Nutt implosion.

But who has outlasted all of them? Broyles is gone, Long hasn't been here that long, Nutt, Petrino, and now Bielema...

So...what would you have done differently...?

Start Alex Mortensen over Casey? Not recruit two sought-after QBs in your own backyard? Rather lose out on Mallett and then NOT welcome him back to the team when he decided to transfer? I understand what you're saying with the Bobby Allen deal, but at the same time I fail to see what really could've been done differently logistically.

hoggusamoungus

Or maybe he's doing something right.  Four coaches (Nutt, Petrino, Jonnelle and BB) have kept him on staff in some capacity.  Doubt that would be the case if he didn't bring something to the table.

RME

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 11, 2015, 09:48:38 am
Which ones went to the same schools?

Does it make a difference where they went to school? If you're a good quarterback, you're a good quarterback. If Peyton and Eli had both gone to Tenn or Ole Miss, would one not have been any good? Failing to see your argument here.

PorkRinds

Lol. Wut? The guy got demoted when CBB got here. He's been here so long because he's a great asset to the program. But to think CBB bases his own job on wanting to please Bobby Allen is insane.

PonderinHog

razoredge178

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2015, 09:51:36 am
Lol. Wut? The guy got demoted when CBB got here. He's been here so long because he's a great asset to the program. But to think CBB bases his own job on wanting to please Bobby Allen is insane.

Great asset is a massive understatement. Any guy that outlives two AD's and four head coaches is no asset, more like a shrine.

Again here folks-- not trying to knock the Dicks, or Allens, or our Coach. We've had a crazy funked up QB carousel and political dumpster fire for a long, long time, and I think a new fresh take on high school relations wouldn't be a bad thing for our program.

Bobby Allen is either completely amazing, almost God like at soliciting and recruiting high school athletes, or he's got some magical stay out of jail free pass that has spanned two decades and over 1/2 dozen direct or indirect bosses.

Hogarusa

Bowl practice, spring practice, summer camp, fall camp, then 3 weeks of nonconference games of competition to decide who the QB is before conference play.  Whoever it is will be a stud as he will have to beat out three 4 star QBs and will have a good understanding of the system (assuming Enos stays).  Wont face an actual road SEC game until week 8.  Good situation to have
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

RME

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 11, 2015, 09:56:09 am
Great asset is a massive understatement. Any guy that outlives two AD's and four head coaches is no asset, more like a shrine.

Again here folks-- not trying to knock the Dicks, or Allens, or our Coach. We've had a crazy funked up QB carousel and political dumpster fire for a long, long time, and I think a new fresh take on high school relations wouldn't be a bad thing for our program.

Bobby Allen is either completely amazing, almost God like at soliciting and recruiting high school athletes, or he's got some magical stay out of jail free pass that has spanned two decades and over 1/2 dozen direct or indirect bosses.

Do you know what a QB carousel is? Dick, Mallett, Wilson, BA since what, 2006, is a carousel?

I hope you don't keep up with the NFL much if you consider that a carousel.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22