Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McFadden

Started by Dirttrackhog, December 07, 2015, 09:16:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogcephus

With all of this logic someone should have been complaining about how the Redskins mismanaged the clock by scoring a touchdown too soon. They should have run the clock down before scoring and then taken the Cowboys to overtime instead of giving them enough time to drive and kick the game winning field goal!

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 08, 2015, 12:26:46 pm
I'm not sure I've ever seen a RB take a knee at the one to avoid scoring a go ahead touchdown with a minute left.  Has that actually happened before?

The Broncos and Peyton Manning refused to score a TD against Dallas two years ago.  They ran the clock down to almost zero, kicked a chip shot field goal, and won by a score of something like 52-49.

EastexHawg

Quote from: WooPig90 on December 08, 2015, 12:50:54 pm
Garrett said the play took him to the outside, wasnt necessarily called to bounce to the outside. And he also mentioned that he was supposed to stay in bounds..

The reason you hand the ball to McFadden rather than taking a knee three times is to eat up a few more seconds of clock time on each play.  Remember, the Redskins had two timeouts and Dallas wasn't going to be able to run the clock down to one second.  There was a differential of around 20 seconds...and that is what Garrett was probably trying to minimize or eliminate.

Tejano Jawg

I'm amazed that people see that play—even all the sports radio geniuses here in Dallas—and seem to describe something else.

McFadden didn't "run out of bounds." Sometimes you see a quarterback intentionally run out of bounds, to save the clock or to save themselves. Same for a receiver in a 2-minute drill—catches a curl route, then steps out. McFadden was running, in a play that was called, he accelerated to turn the corner. His momentum, and the tackler to his inside, took him out. He wasn't running down the sideline, then elect to step out.

As Wiz said, runners run. If you call a run, and one that's not directly up the middle, it looked like the coach's agenda was something else. The Dallas O-line has been whipped a lot this year. It was nothing new for McFadden to run into a wall of defenders and try and make something happen. Was he told to get what he could between the tackles, but no more? That play call didn't look like it.

Also—and I don't have an exact memory of the clock—but given how fast Washington scored, the time remaining in the game was needed by DALLAS...not Washington.

What if the game had played out like this. QB takes a knee 3 times, running down the clock, Dallas kicks the 3. Washington, with good field position thanks to poor kick coverage, hits a touchdown pass (just like it happened) to take the lead. Now Dallas has less than 15 seconds to take the ball and score. Not sure I like that scenario.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

King Kong

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 08, 2015, 11:40:01 pm
The Broncos and Peyton Manning refused to score a TD against Dallas two years ago.  They ran the clock down to almost zero, kicked a chip shot field goal, and won by a score of something like 52-49.

Eli refused to score a TD earlier this year and they Giants lost because of it.

And McFadden isn't the QB.  He got pushed out of bounds,I have seen this happen on several times in the NFL. It happened to M. Barber with the Bears and Tebow came back and won the game. It happens.

nationwish

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 08, 2015, 11:40:01 pm

Didn't the Colts with Manning try the same thing years ago, only for the kicker to miss and lose the game?

EastexHawg

In that situation you have to make it a point to fall down inbounds.  Period.  Claiming your momentum took you out of bounds, or that you were trying to accelerate around the corner, or any other excuse simply doesn't work.  The back obviously knows where the sideline is.  When he gets within a few feet of it, he has to either cut it back to the middle or fall down.  It's not a difficult concept.  It's simply being aware of the situation.

Every coach, Hall of Fame player, teammate, and analyst interviewed agreed.  The fact that Darren is a former Razorback doesn't change the situation.

McFadden scored with 1:14 remaining.  If instead of going out of bounds on the previous play he cuts into the middle of the field the Redskins probably call their second timeout at around the 1:14 to 1:10 mark.  Run another play that takes 6-7 seconds and they call their last timeout at around 1:05.  Run another play and the official starts the 40 second play clock at around the 1:00 mark.  Dallas allows the clock to run for 39 seconds, to the 21 second mark, before calling timeout to send on the kicking team.  They kick the field goal, which runs the game clock to around 16 seconds.

Washington returns the kick.  That takes the game clock to around 9-10 seconds.  Now they have two choices:  try to run a sideline route and get out of bounds to set up a long field goal or throw a Hail Mary.

That's how you play out that situation.  Everyone involved in the game now or formerly involved agrees.

WooPig90

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 09, 2015, 09:14:09 am
In that situation you have to make it a point to fall down inbounds.  Period.  Claiming your momentum took you out of bounds, or that you were trying to accelerate around the corner, or any other excuse simply doesn't work.  The back obviously knows where the sideline is.  When he gets within a few feet of it, he has to either cut it back to the middle or fall down.  It's not a difficult concept.  It's simply being aware of the situation.

Every coach, Hall of Fame player, teammate, and analyst interviewed agreed.  The fact that Darren is a former Razorback doesn't change the situation.

McFadden scored with 1:14 remaining.  If instead of going out of bounds on the previous play he cuts into the middle of the field the Redskins probably call their second timeout at around the 1:14 to 1:10 mark.  Run another play that takes 6-7 seconds and they call their last timeout at around 1:05.  Run another play and the official starts the 40 second play clock at around the 1:00 mark.  Dallas allows the clock to run for 39 seconds, to the 21 second mark, before calling timeout to send on the kicking team.  They kick the field goal, which runs the game clock to around 16 seconds.

Washington returns the kick.  That takes the game clock to around 9-10 seconds.  Now they have two choices:  try to run a sideline route and get out of bounds to set up a long field goal or throw a Hail Mary.

That's how you play out that situation.  Everyone involved in the game now or formerly involved agrees.

This. Im a huge Dmac fan but too many in here have their blinders on.

Dr. Starcs

The problem is, easttex already has his mind made up about dmac before the season and even when he has played well, I can't recall him getting any props from easttex. 

Having said that, I agree he should have stayed in bounds no doubt. I can't necessarily fault him for scoring though. I mean, Dallas did miss an extra point at Seattle in the playoffs where the kicker had nothing to do with it.

The kick return team did a terrible job on the ensuing kickoff and Claiborne is just awful.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 09, 2015, 04:16:55 pm
The problem is, easttex already has his mind made up about dmac before the season and even when he has played well, I can't recall him getting any props from easttex. 

Having said that, I agree he should have stayed in bounds no doubt. I can't necessarily fault him for scoring though. I mean, Dallas did miss an extra point at Seattle in the playoffs where the kicker had nothing to do with it.

The kick return team did a terrible job on the ensuing kickoff and Claiborne is just awful.

I didn't say anything about him scoring.  Once he ran out of bounds the strategy of running three plays to force the Redskins into using their timeouts before kicking a field goal was off the table.  At that point the Cowboys had to try to gain yardage and at least make a first down.  Could he have dropped to the ground short of the goal line?  Yeah, but that's an even more involved strategy than running out of bounds so I'm not expecting him to pull that one off.

Regarding my "problem", Darren is averaging 3.8 yards per carry and the Cowboys are 4-8.  Where was I wrong?

Dr. Starcs

Oh i don't know, maybe because Murray has sucked this year and dmac hasn't played with a healthy qb which has meant teams have loaded the box to stop the run.

Jackrabbit Hog

I think we can all agree that we have all been pleasantly surprised by DMac's production the last 4-5 weeks (i.e., once he got healthy).  No, he's not gonna be an All-Pro but he has at least given Dallas a semblance of a running game that they didn't have at the beginning of the season.  And for a guy who had one foot out of the league at the end of last season, it's been a nice comeback for him.  Hope he stays healthy and finishes strong.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dr. Starcs

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 09, 2015, 04:29:08 pm
Regarding my "problem", Darren is averaging 3.8 yards per carry and the Cowboys are 4-8.  Where was I wrong?

I wish Darren had had a HEALTHY Romo and a HEALTHY Dez ALL season, as Murray did last year.  He didn't, and the defenses in the NFL (on ALL teams) are good enough that if they know you're going to run, you literally have no chance.  I can't count the times DMac has taken the ball a millisecond before 2 or 3 defenders grabbed him and twisted him into a pretzel shape 3 yards behind the line.  Don't remember seeing that happen to ANY of the Cowboy backs last season.  Romo was tossing the ball to Dez, Jason, et al and the lanes were there to be run in.

Oranges and apples to this year.

And, it is interesting to see that Murray is doing nothing in Philly.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 09, 2015, 04:48:44 pm
Oh i don't know, maybe because Murray has sucked this year and dmac hasn't played with a healthy qb which has meant teams have loaded the box to stop the run.

The argument was that Dallas' offensive line was so much better than the rest of the league, and especially Oakland's, that any back could amass great stats running behind it. 

It's easy to find an explanation for everything if you just look hard enough.

Tejano Jawg

Eastex, you're one of the more intelligent posters on here. Your map to the ideal play-by-play (post #56) is solid. However...

What everyone seems to be missing is DALLAS WON THE GAME. And broke a losing steak that dates back to the Carter administration, or feels like it.

I guess we're in a good place when we can bitch about what should have happened so we could win more comfortably. Maybe that was the tipping point...all year long Dallas has been right on the verge of a W, trying to do the right thing, but in the end screwing it up. Moving forward, Dallas should take the George Costanza approach—decide what you should do, then do the complete opposite!
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Dr. Starcs

I think dmac must've knocked up easttex's daughter.

He has not played with a healthy qb basically all year. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

texhog22

Dmac is doing fine. There have been some absolute horrible play calls! The line is not playing well (all year) No passing game. Whats Dmac supposed to do?

threeNout

Just to note,  DMac has  687 yards so far this season with 4 games to go, he needs to average 79 yards a game to have a 1,000 yard season.

A small milestone I guess, but I hope he makes it, it'd be a pretty good accomplishment seeing how their QB play has been so spotty this year.

Dallas at GB today at 3.

hog.goblin

I'd like to see him get it too, but he'll be hard pressed to run for 79 yards in GB.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 13, 2015, 08:28:56 am
I'd like to see him get it too, but he'll be hard pressed to run for 79 yards in GB.

It's very doable.  Green Bay is giving up an average of 111 yards per game this year.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

gmarv

Quote from: threeNout on December 13, 2015, 06:51:34 am
Just to note,  DMac has  687 yards so far this season with 4 games to go, he needs to average 79 yards a game to have a 1,000 yard season.

A small milestone I guess, but I hope he makes it, it'd be a pretty good accomplishment seeing how their QB play has been so spotty this year.

Dallas at GB today at 3.
I,m with you I hope he makes it also.

Dr. Starcs

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Jackrabbit Hog

108 yards on 7 carries.  But that must be a mirage because Eastex says he's washed up.

He flashed some of that old speed down the sideline on that last run.  Nice.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

threeNout

Dmac finishes with 111 yards on 9 carries,  12.3 average.

As a team, Dallas averaged  over 8 yards a carry, but only ran it 19 times, strange strategy in the rain with virtually no passing game.

Anyway, Dmac now has 798 yards on the year, needs to average 68 yards a game to hit 1,000.

alohawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 13, 2015, 05:24:12 pm
108 yards on 7 carries.  But that must be a mirage because Eastex says he's washed up.

He flashed some of that old speed down the sideline on that last run.  Nice.

If Darren still had that speed he would have had two long td's today.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

gmarv

I,m enjoying watching dmac play.hope he has a strong finish.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: alohawg on December 13, 2015, 06:43:05 pm

Maybe on the first one but not the second one.  Or you were watching a different game than I was.

King Kong

Quote from: alohawg on December 13, 2015, 06:43:05 pm

Defenders had good angles on both runs.

The maybe had a chance first one maybe. But still hard to cut back all the way across the field and maintain the speed needed to break it.

jgphillips3

Darren still has speed.  Only problem is those NFL defensive backs run just as fast as he does.  Does he have the "same" speed?  Probably not because he is aging but he is still plenty fast.  I'm so happy he is finally getting to play with a good O line and have some respectable numbers in the latter stages of his career.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 10, 2015, 07:25:58 pm
I think dmac must've knocked up easttex's daughter.

He has not played with a healthy qb basically all year. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Going into today Latavius Murray was 4th in the NFL in rushing.  I thought Oakland was a hellhole where no running back could succeed. 

By the way, the Raiders are now 6-7 after going 4-12, 4-12, and 3-13 the last three seasons.

My favorite college team has always been Arkansas.  In the NFL,  I've been a Cowboys fan since the days of Dandy Don Meredith.  I care more about the Cowboys winning than trying to sign and play former Hogs.

Jackrabbit Hog

There's no denying Darren is/was very fast, but even in college there were times when you were surprised when he got caught.  I remember in the Capital One Bowl against Wisconsin, first offensive series, DMac breaks clear and some unknown DB ran him down.  Turned out to be the difference in the game.  And he's older now; no shame in what he did today or what he's done all season.

King Kong

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 13, 2015, 07:14:43 pm
Going into today Latavius Murray was 4th in the NFL in rushing.  I thought Oakland was a hellhole where no running back could succeed. 

By the way, the Raiders are now 6-7 after going 4-12, 4-12, and 3-13 the last three seasons.

My favorite college team has always been Arkansas.  In the NFL,  I've been a Cowboys fan since the days of Dandy Don Meredith.  I care more about the Cowboys winning than trying to sign and play former Hogs.

Without McFadden today your Cowboys may not have had 200 yards of offense today

And the Raiders improvement is because they have found a QB.

hog.goblin

Quote from: King Kong on December 13, 2015, 07:30:42 pm
Without McFadden today your Cowboys may not have had 200 yards of offense today

And the Raiders improvement is because they have found a QB.

Very true on both points

Great game by DMAC, strange play calling by Jerry Jones, nothing unusual

Bowfishinghogfan

Would have been awesome to see him in his younger years run behind a line like Dallas. He is getting a tad slower but that comes with age. Glad he's doing so good after the crap hole team he was with for the first of his career. Solid guy

woodhog14

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 13, 2015, 07:16:53 pm
There's no denying Darren is/was very fast, but even in college there were times when you were surprised when he got caught.  I remember in the Capital One Bowl against Wisconsin, first offensive series, DMac breaks clear and some unknown DB ran him down.  Turned out to be the difference in the game.  And he's older now; no shame in what he did today or what he's done all season.

He played that game with a bum ankle. One of the reasons he got caught, if not the reason.

Dr. Starcs

So easttex, how about comparing Dmac with the guy he actually replaced. How's what's his name doing this year?

A healthy romo makes all the difference in the world. If you don't realize that, I question your football iq.

And even without a qb, dmac is putting up better #s than Murray and his "prolific" offense.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 13, 2015, 08:44:19 pm
So easttex, how about comparing Dmac with the guy he actually replaced. How's what's his name doing this year?

A healthy romo makes all the difference in the world. If you don't realize that, I question your football iq.

And even without a qb, dmac is putting up better #s than Murray and his "prolific" offense.

Let me go back and read all the quotes about how Philadelphia has the best offensive line in football and all Hog fans were wishing Darren could leave Oakland and run behind it.

I said before the season that letting Murray go would end badly for the Cowboys, that the fact that he carried the load last year kept Romo from having to air it out so much and kept him in one piece.  I also said they wouldn't sniff last year's 12-4 record.

Now why don't you tell me exactly which part I got wrong and afterward we can talk about my "football IQ".

warriorlion

DMac had a great game running but did anyone else see him clean Mathews clock picking up the blitz late in the game?  That to me is what makes him so special in the NFL-picking up the blitz with a knock em on their ass block, able to catch the ball and able to run. Complete back.

Dr. Starcs

I get what you're saying, I really do, but

12-4 to 4-9 (and counting) is nowhere near Dmac's fault.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 13, 2015, 09:35:18 am
It's very doable.  Green Bay is giving up an average of 111 yards per game this year.   
and
Quote from: threeNout on December 13, 2015, 06:37:42 pm
Dmac finishes with 111 yards on 9 carries,  12.3 average.

Well, that worked out. And is kinda cosmic.

alohawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 13, 2015, 10:36:41 pm

True, he's been pretty darn good overall. I had no idea he was playing with a sore ankle today, makes more sense now.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 13, 2015, 10:36:41 pm

No, it's not his fault...and I have never said Darren is terrible.  He's serviceable NFL back.  He has simply never been the great NFL back so many of us have wanted him to be.

Let's look back at Jerry's decision to let Murray go through the prism of time, or at least the first 13 games of this season.  He chose to sign Dez and Greg Hardy rather than try to work a deal to keep Murray.  Dez currently has 27 catches for two TDs and has dropped almost as many passes as he has caught.  Hardy has not been a game changer on defense and the negative publicity he has generated hasn't been offset by stellar play.

Murray hasn't had a very good year in Philadelphia, but their offensive system and run schemes...not to mention their offensive line...don't match as well with his style.  Murray and the Dallas line meshed together perfectly.  Not only that, but he was a beloved teammate and a leader in the clubhouse...something this 4-9 and floundering team could use right about now.

Jerry rolled the dice and lost.

Dr. Starcs

This current team with a healthy Romo is 9-4 at the least would you not agree?

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 13, 2015, 07:16:53 pm

A)  DMac was not 100% for that game; he had a bad ankle or hamstring and there was some concern the week before the game that he might not play, or be limited. 

B)  The Wisconsin DB that caught him was NOT a spare; it was their best defensive player, Jack Ikegwuonu.  He later became a 4th round NFL pick after leaving early for the Draft. 

C)  I was at that game in person, and the play happened right in front of me.  Ikegwuonu hit his sprint (coming over from CB) a split second before DMac shifted into overdrive.  So he was at full speed before DMac. even at that, he barely caught McFadden, who was just about to reach full speed when the DB clipped his heels from behind.

It was surprising to all of us who had seen McFadden explode on so many long runs.  But from talking to the Wisconsin fans I was sitting next to, Ikegwuonu was arguably the fastest player on their team.

King Kong

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on December 14, 2015, 03:56:14 pm
A)  DMac was not 100% for that game; he had a bad ankle or hamstring and there was some concern the week before the game that he might not play, or be limited. 

It was his ankle

WizardofhOgZ

December 14, 2015, 04:38:11 pm #97 Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:55:50 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Quote from: EastexHawg on December 13, 2015, 07:14:43 pm

Easttex, I have respect for your posts . . . and my man-crush (as a playmaker) for Matt Jones is rivaled only by yours on this board.  But you and I are on opposite ends of this DMac vs. Murray discussion.  And, although I am a Cowboy fan (of a sort, although I've been watching them as long as I've been following the Razorbacks . . . more than 50 years), I'm not encumbered by irrational "Cowboyitis" as many here are.  I'm much more about watching my favorite ex-Hogs in the NFL than I am about ANY NFL team winning or losing - including the Cowboys.  That said, I'd rather see them win than lose, and I do pull for them each week.

In response to a few of your recent comments in this thread (in no particular order) . . .

1)  No logical person with average understanding of the game of football can compare the offensive lines at Oakland and Dallas over the period of time DMac and Murray have been in the NFL and come to any other conclusion that Dallas' has been clearly and substantially better over that period of time.  THIS year, Dallas' offensive line performance has been - according to EVERY source I've heard comment on it - poorer than at any time in the prior 3 years.  Why is a subject of debate, that that it IS is not.  Meanwhile, Oakland's OL and offense in general SEEMS to be getting better and much improved THIS season.  Candidly, since DMac escaped that dungeon I have happily paid no attention to them (after several years of forcing myself to watch them so I could hope they would finally get their act together), so I have no idea why.

You'd have to say the same about the rest of the surrounding cast (QB, WR) on the respective offenses of those teams.  In particular, Tony Romo in his prime vs . . . a cavalcade of generic mediocrity at QB.

2)  It is not fair to compare (not that you did; I'm just pointing this out) DMac's 2015 season with Dallas to Murray's 2014, because (a) OL's performance has slipped; (b) Romo being out; (c) Dez being out most of the year and still not playing well.  These would have, and have had, a DRAMATIC effect on the running lanes available to any back.  Plus, Murray was starting from Day 1 in 2014.

3)  I continue to be amazed that most cannot see what is right before their face; that, for all practical purposes, DMac and Murray are as close to the same back as any two players in the League.  Sure, they are not identical clones of each other in every mannerism; but (as I pointed out in a post several weeks ago):

•   They are virtually the same height/weight
•   They are about the same speed
•   They have about the same power
•   They are within 5 mos. of each other in age
•   They are about 100 carries apart of each other
•   They are about 150 total touches (rushes plus reception) apart from each other
•   One averages 4.8 per touch; the other 5.0 per touch; the one with the higher average is trending down this year; the other is trending higher this season.
•   Both have missed (ironically, not so much in the last two seasons) a significant number of games in their careers due to injury; Murray more in college than the NFL, while DMac has missed more in the NFL.

I think anyone "comparing blind resumes", as the media often does with playoff teams, MVP and Heisman candidates wouldn't be able to find a great deal to separate them.  Yet, blinded by all of the Cowboy's media hype (they get in the NFL what Alabama, Texas and Notre Dame get in the college media world), Cowboy fans (most of them, in my experience, VERY short on true football knowledge) and media seem to think that Murray is a Hall of Fame candidate, while McFadden is a "bust" and just a journeyman back.  When you look at them this year, there isn't what you'd call a GREAT deal of difference in their seasons; but if there is an advantage, it would would go to DMac. 

Before last season (2014), Murray had nothing on his resume to suggest that he was anything special.  Nothing.  Then - fortunately for him - he fell into "the right place at the right time" and had one very special season.  But there' no reason to expect that will ever come close to happening for him again; in fact, NFL history portends that he's very unlikely to approach that level of success in the future.

I'd agree that Darren hasn't had the type of NFL career I and many others hoped and thought he might.  But I don't consider him a "bust" either.  Injuries and being part of what was (while he was there) a pitiful franchise really hurt him.  But now that he's healthy, I think he's doing very well.  Not all-star caliber, but he's definitely holding up as a solid NFL starter.  It shows up not only in his rushing, and pass receiving, but in his ability to provide outstanding protection for the QB, and in the way he doesn't shoot his mouth off in the media, but instead just goes about his job.

threeNout

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on December 14, 2015, 04:38:11 pm
Easttex, I have respect for your posts . . . and my man-crush (as a playmaker) for Matt Jones is rivaled only by yours on this board.  But you and I are on opposite ends of this DMac vs. Murray discussion.  And, although I am a Cowboy fan (of a sort, although I've been watching them as long as I've been following the Razorbacks . . . more than 50 years), I'm not encumbered by irrational "Cowboyitis" as many here are.  I'm much more about watching my favorite ex-Hogs in the NFL than I am about ANY NFL team winning or losing - including the Cowboys.  That said, I'd rather see them win than lose, and I do pull for them each week.

In response to a few of your recent comments in this thread (in no particular order) . . .

1)  No logical person with average understanding of the game of football can compare the offensive lines at Oakland and Dallas over the period of time DMac and Murray have been in the NFL and come to any other conclusion that Dallas' has been clearly and substantially better over that period of time.  THIS year, Dallas' offensive line performance has been - according to EVERY source I've heard comment on it - poorer than at any time in the prior 3 years.  Why is a subject of debate, that that it IS is not.  Meanwhile, Oakland's OL and offense in general SEEMS to be getting better and much improved THIS season.  Candidly, since DMac escaped that dungeon I have happily paid no attention to them (after several years of forcing myself to watch them so I could hope they would finally get their act together), so I have no idea why.

You'd have to say the same about the rest of the surrounding cast (QB, WR) on the respective offenses of those teams.  In particular, Tony Romo in his prime vs . . . a cavalcade of generic mediocrity at QB.

2)  It is not fair to compare (not that you did; I'm just pointing this out) DMac's 2015 season with Dallas to Murray's 2014, because (a) OL's performance has slipped; (b) Romo being out; (c) Dez being out most of the year and still not playing well.  These would have, and have had, a DRAMATIC effect on the running lanes available to any back.  Plus, Murray was starting from Day 1 in 2014.

3)  I continue to be amazed that most cannot see what is right before their face; that, for all practical purposes, DMac and Murray are as close to the same back as any two players in the League.  Sure, they are not identical clones of each other in every mannerism; but (as I pointed out in a post several weeks ago):

•   They are virtually the same height/weight
•   They are about the same speed
•   They have about the same power
•   They are within 5 mos. of each other in age
•   They are about 100 carries apart of each other
•   They are about 150 total touches (rushes plus reception) apart from each other
•   One averages 4.8 per touch; the other 5.0 per touch; the one with the higher average is trending down this year; the other is trending higher this season.
•   Both have missed (ironically, not so much in the last two seasons) a significant number of games in their careers due to injury; Murray more in college than the NFL, while DMac has missed more in the NFL.

I think anyone "comparing blind resumes", as the media often does with playoff teams, MVP and Heisman candidates wouldn't be able to find a great deal to separate them.  Yet, blinded by all of the Cowboy's media hype (they get in the NFL what Alabama, Texas and Notre Dame get in the college media world), Cowboy fans (most of them, in my experience, VERY short on true football knowledge) and media seem to think that Murray is a Hall of Fame candidate, while McFadden is a "bust" and just a journeyman back.  When you look at them this year, there isn't what you'd call a GREAT deal of difference in their seasons; but if there is an advantage, it would would go to DMac. 

Before last season (2014), Murray had nothing on his resume to suggest that he was anything special.  Nothing.  Then - fortunately for him - he fell into "the right place at the right time" and had one very special season.  But there' no reason to expect that will ever come close to happening for him again; in fact, NFL history portends that he's very unlikely to approach that level of success in the future.

I'd agree that Darren hasn't had the type of NFL career I and many others hoped and thought he might.  But I don't consider him a "bust" either.  Injuries and being part of what was (while he was there) a pitiful franchise really hurt him.  But now that he's healthy, I think he's going very well.  Not all-star caliber, but he's definitely holding up as a solid NFL starter.  It shows up not only in his rushing, and pass receiving, but in his ability to provide outstanding protection for the QB, and in the way he doesn't shoot his mouth off in the media, but instead just goes about his job.

Great analysis Wiz, but you left out a critical fact,  DMac is a Hog and Murray isn't,  so no one on this board should see them as equals.  :)

threeNout

They may be close to the same size/weight, but if I'm worried about protecting my QB, I'd want DMac back there.

He's just got more "BA" in him.  If there was a "BA" to pound ratio, DMac's would be off the charts.