Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm Optimistic

Started by East TN HAWG, January 31, 2018, 08:24:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

East TN HAWG

I've been a Debbie Downer the past couple of games.  I've whined and moaned about the Harlem Globetrotters offense, and all the one-on-one crap.  Fussed about the defense, etc.

Last night in the first half for the first time all season, I saw the resemblance of a offense.  A REAL OFFENSE.  Passes to the post, kick outs, back cuts.  We missed a couple of wide open 3's on the kick out that may have changed the game.  Also in the first half, there were times when the defensive pressure was solid.  The main things that was missing the whole night was rebounding and too many careless turnovers. 

I'm not too upset at losing to AM.  They were a top 10 team with all their pieces, and unfortunately those pieces came back just in time for our match up.  At the start of the second half, they (Hogg who has been suspended this season) got hot from 3 point land.  They would have made a run on any team in a America shooting like that.   

Even though we lost, I saw a lot improvement in this team last night.  I saw a lot of little things we can build on.  It was encouraging and unexpected to see those things.  I also saw a lot of things to work on as well.  I honestly feel that we have the talent to be a sweet 16 / elite 8 team.   

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2018, 08:24:32 am
I've been a Debbie Downer the past couple of games.  I've whined and moaned about the Harlem Globetrotters offense, and all the one-on-one crap.  Fussed about the defense, etc.

Last night in the first half for the first time all season, I saw the resemblance of a offense.  A REAL OFFENSE.  Passes to the post, kick outs, back cuts.  We missed a couple of wide open 3's on the kick out that may have changed the game.  Also in the first half, there were times when the defensive pressure was solid.  The main things that was missing the whole night was rebounding and too many careless turnovers. 

I'm not too upset at losing to AM.  They were a top 10 team with all their pieces, and unfortunately those pieces came back just in time for our match up. At the start of the second half, they (Hogg who has been suspended this season) got hot from 3 point land.  They would have made a run on any team in a America shooting like that.   

Even though we lost, I saw a lot improvement in this team last night.  I saw a lot of little things we can build on.  It was encouraging and unexpected to see those things.  I also saw a lot of things to work on as well.  I honestly feel that we have the talent to be a sweet 16 / elite 8 team.   

There were some positives but the frustrating part is lack of focus on the little things. aTm shot it much better in the second half, but how many open looks did they have because we were out of position or gave them way too much space? Also, we hardly ever get a hand up on shooters even if we're semi-close to them.

I just hate watching the little things getting us beat. Even our best shooters rarely receive a pass in a good shooting position. Our execution against a zone is atrocious which is frustrating because we are gonna see a lot more zone going forward looks like.

mckinneyhog5

I don't get "they were a top 10 team" comment. Guess what? They're not anymore and haven't been for a while.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 31, 2018, 08:43:47 am
I don't get "they were a top 10 team" comment. Guess what? They're not anymore and haven't been for a while.
Exactly.

And, hey, we were a top 25 team at one point.....

raz1965

I seen a lot of positives also, a&M had a hot streak that put  the game away, if the hogs continue to bring it out of the gate , wins will come.

swinesation

hawg1221

I'm a realist. It appears a lot of the fans that get on here and act all surprised are blind of the previous results this year. I just can't imagine anyone being shocked over that outcome. I was not surprised at all, and consequently, I don't get all emotional and start bashing the team or coach. It's reality that they struggle on the road and rely too much on 2 players. I could point out some other things, but that would be debatable. The above 2 points are not for any fan that's paying attention with their eyes.

razorpimp

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on January 31, 2018, 08:38:22 am
There were some positives but the frustrating part is lack of focus on the little things. aTm shot it much better in the second half, but how many open looks did they have because we were out of position or gave them way too much space? Also, we hardly ever get a hand up on shooters even if we're semi-close to them.

I just hate watching the little things getting us beat. Even our best shooters rarely receive a pass in a good shooting position. Our execution against a zone is atrocious which is frustrating because we are gonna see a lot more zone going forward looks like.

We were out of position on defense because A&M adjusted at half and Mediocre Mike did nothing different!  And by the time he tried to change things up it was too damn late.  This falls directly on the shoulders of our average coach....

Atlhogfan1

Was hoping for aggression from the start and got it.  Keep doing that every game. 

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 31, 2018, 10:28:10 am
I'm a realist. It appears a lot of the fans that get on here and act all surprised are blind of the previous results this year. I just can't imagine anyone being shocked over that outcome. I was not surprised at all, and consequently, I don't get all emotional and start bashing the team or coach. It's reality that they struggle on the road and rely too much on 2 players. I could point out some other things, but that would be debatable. The above 2 points are not for any fan that's paying attention with their eyes.

I don't believe anyone was shocked.  That is what upsets some and causes them to vent. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

I'm optimistic too, the team is pre season top 5, and has several good arms coming back and some real pop in the order....oh sorry, you meant about basketball?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HawgTrough

beat LSU to go 2-1 on this road trip and I don't see how you could expect any better. Get back to .500 before the schedule flips and we're in a good place.
WPS

WillsWorld

It's amazing how much the team has fallen off this season from earlier in the season. It started in the Tennessee game and has spiraled out ever since. >:(

orvillesghost

We will finish up around fifth in the league, about 9-9 in league play, barely get into the NCAA and get shellacked out in the first weekend.

If that is your idea of program success, then Mike is surely your guy.

Dillon23

I agree with the OP. I was shocked at how we moved the ball (And Macon did a back cut?) in the first 1-15 minutes.  I was about to change my mind about Mike doing something to fix this team, and then the second half started.  I don't know why we refuse to guard the 3.  Trapping just to be trapping is killing us on D and Beard is killing us all over the floor.  Gafford only getting 4 shots to Beards 9 is ridiculous.  I would demand that Gafford take at least 10 shots a game and work the offense from inside out. 

Rbill

Optimistic is not what I feel. I know there is talent on this team. My thoughts are very much aligned with what I heard on JB's radio show this morning: we just don't play well together. It feels like we have all these pieces with no cohesion. It absolutely feels like we don't have leadership. For a team that seems to absolutely thrive on mojo and confidence, it is very bad to not have leaders and act excited for each other or like you like each other on the court.

EastexHawg

Top 10 team?  They were 2-6 in conference coming into the game.

It's amazing that every team we play is portrayed as being more than their record indicates.  Georgia was a "good win against a good team."  So was Ole Miss.  They are both sub .500 in the SEC and a combined 24-19 between them after beating up on all their non-conference cupcakes.  Oklahoma State is 3-6 in the Big 12. 

It's as if the SEC and our schedule are loaded with 1973 UCLA, 1976 Indiana, and the Phi Slamma Jamma Houston teams.  Every win is a huge one and every loss is understandable because these teams are so tough that it would really be unreasonable to expect to go in and beat them.

The real pattern with this team is that when Macon and/or Barford are red hot from behind the 3 point line we squeak by in close ones, maybe even OT, and when they're not shooting lights out we get stomped.  That's it.  That's the strategy.  In year seven, our game plan is to have two or three guys dribble around the perimeter looking for their own shots.  If they make most of them, we win.  If they don't, we get destroyed.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Rbill on January 31, 2018, 11:39:50 am
Optimistic is not what I feel. I know there is talent on this team. My thoughts are very much aligned with what I heard on JB's radio show this morning: we just don't play well together. It feels like we have all these pieces with no cohesion. It absolutely feels like we don't have leadership. For a team that seems to absolutely thrive on mojo and confidence, it is very bad to not have leaders and act excited for each other or like you like each other on the court.

Recruiting and roster management leads to situations like this.  This wasn't put together with a plan.  It was take what we could get to a point.  Sure the staff looked for certain positions and tried to find players to fill roles.  But that is what this has been since he was hired.  Role players, transfers and JC's filling gaps + Portis + Gafford.  Revolving door of players coming in and out. 

2014 class
Beard
Thompson
Babb - gone - transferred after one season
Durham - JC
Miles became eligible - two seasons

2015 class
Whitt - gone - transferred after one season
Jenkins - gone - transferred after one season - reach anyway
Hannahs became eligible - two seasons

2016 class - scramble to bridge gap till the state provided more help
Barford - JC
Macon - JC
Cook - JC
Hazen - gone - transferred after one season
Bailey
Jones

2017 class
Gafford
Garland - sad situation
Hall
Gabe

Next season we add at least 6 Fr + another transfer. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ChicoHog

January 31, 2018, 12:22:40 pm #17 Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 04:51:22 pm by ChicoHog
Quote from: EastexHawg on January 31, 2018, 12:13:45 pm
Top 10 team?  They were 2-6 in conference coming into the game.

It's amazing that every team we play is portrayed as being more than their record indicates.  Georgia was a "good win against a good team."  So was Ole Miss.  They are both sub .500 in the SEC and a combined 24-19 between them after beating up on all their non-conference cupcakes.  Oklahoma State is 3-6 in the Big 12. 

It's as if the SEC and our schedule are loaded with 1973 UCLA, 1976 Indiana, and the Phi Slamma Jamma Houston teams.  Every win is a huge one and every loss is understandable because these teams are so tough that it would really be unreasonable to expect to go in and beat them.

The real pattern with this team is that when Macon and/or Barford are red hot from behind the 3 point line we squeak by in close ones, maybe even OT, and when they're not shooting lights out we get stomped.  That's it.  That's the strategy.  In year seven, our game plan is to have two or three guys dribble around the perimeter looking for their own shots.  If they make most of them, we win.  If they don't, we get destroyed.
That post is spot on.  When we make 3's we are a decent team.  When we don't we are not good because we haven't figured out how to do anything else.  You can tell our opponent has figured out how to stop Gafford from getting the ball.  We do the same thing over and over.  What shocks me is how many fans still think Anderson is the answer. 

OkieBack

Quote from: Dillon23 on January 31, 2018, 11:26:54 am
I agree with the OP. I was shocked at how we moved the ball (And Macon did a back cut?) in the first 1-15 minutes.  I was about to change my mind about Mike doing something to fix this team, and then the second half started.  I don't know why we refuse to guard the 3. 

Diddo. I think they were on the right track the 1st half.  Defense dropped way off 2nd half.  It all starts with the D and until this team figures that one element out then they will struggle at times.  But I can't complain about motion and passing the 1st half.  I really hate zone D but you know that is what has worked for us.  But 3 point D was embarrassing 2nd half.  Turrible.

UNCLE BACK

Things this team does not have.

A True Point Guard
A consistent Power Forward
A Swingman/Point Forward that can shoot and slash to the basket. ( A Sonny Weems Type )
With those three things lacking, we are now getting zero consistent play from Gafford. We are what are record is, a mediocre basketball team.

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 31, 2018, 12:22:40 pm
What shocks me is how many fans still think Anderson is the answer. 

they are not Hog fans.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jjdlc

Quote from: Dillon23 on January 31, 2018, 11:26:54 am
I agree with the OP. I was shocked at how we moved the ball (And Macon did a back cut?) in the first 1-15 minutes.  I was about to change my mind about Mike doing something to fix this team, and then the second half started.  I don't know why we refuse to guard the 3.  Trapping just to be trapping is killing us on D and Beard is killing us all over the floor.  Gafford only getting 4 shots to Beards 9 is ridiculous.  I would demand that Gafford take at least 10 shots a game and work the offense from inside out.

Agreed that we looked better in the first half.  The start of the second, who knows.  Gafford has been getting manhandled the last few games, all against strong big men.  Even when we can get him the ball he is having a hard time doing anything with it.  Last night was doubly bad, the refs let A&M, and particularly Davis play prison ball down low.

jjdlc

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 12:42:15 pm
they are not Hog fans.

Dumb post of the year award nominee right there.

3of5-2

Quote from: jjdlc on January 31, 2018, 01:08:22 pm
Dumb post of the year award nominee right there.
No, they are MA fans first, then Hog fans. There's a huge difference.

OkieBack

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 31, 2018, 01:13:29 pm

Spoken from a true Pelphrey fan?  Lol.  You guys crack me up.  Y'all haters take a nap for another year or two.  Then if MA doesn't make it to the promised land you will wake up and the whole world can call you the blessed prognosticators.  Until then shut up. MA is gonna be head coach for a while longer.

jjdlc

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 31, 2018, 01:13:29 pm

He clearly said they aren't hog fans at all.  Also, what makes them MA fans before Hog fans?  Just because they don't agree with you?  Im at the point I don't think MA is going to get it done either, but questioning someones fandom because they disagree is just asinine.

OkieBack

Quote from: jjdlc on January 31, 2018, 01:17:35 pm
He clearly said they aren't hog fans at all.  Also, what makes them MA fans before Hog fans?  Just because they don't agree with you?  Im at the point I don't think MA is going to get it done either, but questioning someones fandom because they disagree is just asinine.

You got that right!  Asssss-inine.

3of5-2

Quote from: OkieBack on January 31, 2018, 01:17:01 pm
Spoken from a true Pelphrey fan?  Lol.  You guys crack me up.  Y'all haters take a nap for another year or two.  Then if MA doesn't make it to the promised land you will wake up and the whole world can call you the blessed prognosticators.  Until then shut up. MA is gonna be head coach for a while longer.
Let's see, we keep hearing from the MA fans wait for next year, wait till he gets his players, wait for the next class, wait till we get a better draw, wait till we get, shall I continue. Wait till we play a full fastest 40, wait till we get a James Harden, wait till we get on the same page, wait till 2020, wait till we get the practice facility, wait till FCJ gets back from Sonic, wait till wait till wait till. It never ends, it just goes on and on and on.

OkieBack

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 31, 2018, 03:18:25 pm
Let's see, we keep hearing from the MA fans wait for next year, wait till he gets his players, wait for the next class, wait till we get a better draw, wait till we get, shall I continue. Wait till we play a full fastest 40, wait till we get a James Harden, wait till we get on the same page, wait till 2020, wait till we get the practice facility, wait till FCJ gets back from Sonic, wait till wait till wait till. It never ends, it just goes on and on and on.

Yep!  So get used to it.

3of5-2

hobhog

Quote from: OkieBack on January 31, 2018, 03:23:38 pm
Yep!  So get used to it.

No. I won't and hope others don't either.

I think MA is losing more and more support with every loss, and the wins don't seem to be buying him any new support. Bad trend.

OkieBack

Quote from: hobhog on January 31, 2018, 03:27:33 pm
No. I won't and hope others don't either.

I think MA is losing more and more support with every loss, and the wins don't seem to be buying him any new support. Bad trend.

That's why he just got the extension.  Because he is losing support.  Waahhhh....

Davidr295

Quote from: OkieBack on January 31, 2018, 03:41:33 pm
That's why he just got the extension.  Because he is losing support.  Waahhhh....

The extension was signed last November before this season.

Sow’sEar

Quote from: OkieBack on January 31, 2018, 03:41:33 pm
I'm not Iceman and I'm not FCJ, somewhere in the between,  but I know enough to know that that extension is not what you think it is.  That's just standard operation procedure for major colleges to extend their coaches so that recruits will think their coach is going to be there the whole time that they are.  If it was such a sign of support that you act like it is, then it would have been accompanied with a pay raise and/or upping his buyout. 

Razorbackers

Nickle-Pig

I'm Optimistic:  This is a fans job sometimes it is not easy
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

hobhog

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on January 31, 2018, 04:03:04 pm
I'm Optimistic:  This is a fans job sometimes it is not easy

Being optimistic is a fans job?

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 31, 2018, 03:25:41 pm
Glad you like being A-V-E-R-A-G-E
I think everyone liked what was seen for most of the first half last night. I have some confidence that we will see that play again sporadically throughout the rest of the season. Maybe the team found something, and we will trounce LSU on Saturday. That would be fun! There's also a chance it was just an aberration. I suspect the answer, as it usually is, is somewhere between the two extremes. Problem is we are only okay with extremes: MA is either THE ANSWER or the worst college basketball coach in the history of the sport.
Let's just watch the games and support the team. If you don't think he's getting it done, then so be it, but don't accuse those who disagree with you as not being true fans. There's not an objective answer to the situation. Reality is that we are probably going to make the tournament for the third time in four years, which is nice. Reality also is that we most likely will be a middling seed like last year and not go very far.
I wish we were better, but MA doesn't suck. Being a top 25-35 program isn't average. Let's hope the team figures it out and can go on a run like last year.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

3of5-2

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on January 31, 2018, 04:23:03 pm
I think everyone liked what was seen for most of the first half last night. I have some confidence that we will see that play again sporadically throughout the rest of the season. Maybe the team found something, and we will trounce LSU on Saturday. That would be fun! There's also a chance it was just an aberration. I suspect the answer, as it usually is, is somewhere between the two extremes. Problem is we are only okay with extremes: MA is either THE ANSWER or the worst college basketball coach in the history of the sport.
Let's just watch the games and support the team. If you don't think he's getting it done, then so be it, but don't accuse those who disagree with you as not being true fans. There's not an objective answer to the situation. Reality is that we are probably going to make the tournament for the third time in four years, which is nice. Reality also is that we most likely will be a middling seed like last year and not go very far.
I wish we were better, but MA doesn't suck. Being a top 25-35 program isn't average. Let's hope the team figures it out and can go on a run like last year.
Never said they weren't true fans, I said they MA fans first, then Hog fans. I've said all along that we would make the tournament because we are a good team, but good is just average, and there are a lot of good/average teams this year. I even stated that it is to our advantage that there are so many good/average teams, not only in the SEC, but those that will be in the NCAAt. I've never called for MA to be fired, always said he is a standup guy, but he can not get us to the next level. He got us out of the bottom, but we are stuck in the middle.

Paul

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on January 31, 2018, 12:34:55 pm
Things this team does not have.

A True Point Guard
A consistent Power Forward
A Swingman/Point Forward that can shoot and slash to the basket. ( A Sonny Weems Type )
With those three things lacking, we are now getting zero consistent play from Gafford. We are what are record is, a mediocre basketball team.
who's responsible for recruiting them?