Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nobody mentioned Bielema on Film Room

Started by onebadrubi, January 01, 2018, 08:11:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 02, 2018, 08:30:20 am
We fired him!

Whhhaatttt!!!!????  You must be a carpet bagger thinking as slow as you do.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Athog on January 02, 2018, 10:37:11 am
Not true!! He had good insight and did contribute. I agree Patterson talks all the time. Bret also farted!

Bielema barely talked up until Patterson walked off set and never came back. 

I thought it was funny, someone made a comment (either Applewhite or the Syracuse coach) about Chaney's desire to run fly sweeps and end arounds.  They said what do you call here, one or both said something of the same, not a blank. 

Chaney is where he is today at UGA because those 3 backs (swift might be the best one of the three) running behind that O line.  Just that simple, they were busting big runs all game that kept them in that game.  Watch was bama's front 7 does to those holes.  This isn't a motion trick running offense like Gus's that will neutralize bama's speed and size. 

code red

Quote from: 12247 on January 02, 2018, 08:45:09 am
That damn fraud Chaney.  Needing 3 years to install his offense and then ended up being in the NC game after 2 years.  Guy cannot coach a lick, cost us game after game.  Just think coming up in year 3, what the SEC is facing, what with him not having the entire offense installed and all.  Yeah, and his fraud brought poor ole Bret down. What a shame that roughly 15 assistants just like that fraud collectively ruined a 3 time Rose Bowl coach and in fact, an AD whose integrity simply cannot be questioned.  Right? Right?
I was thinking the same thing.  LOL.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

rljjr

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 02, 2018, 11:51:13 am

I thought it was funny, someone made a comment (either Applewhite or the Syracuse coach) about Chaney's desire to run fly sweeps and end arounds.  They said what do you call here, one or both said something of the same, not a blank. 

Chaney is where he is today at UGA because those 3 backs (swift might be the best one of the three) running behind that O line.  Just that simple, they were busting big runs all game that kept them in that game.  Watch was bama's front 7 does to those holes.  This isn't a motion trick running offense like Gus's that will neutralize bama's speed and size. 

The part of the Rose Bowl I watched CBB talked a lot. He and Patterson were the chattiest. They seemed to get along quite well. Fedora was also pretty talkative. The Babers/Holgorsen side of the table were reasonably quiet. CBB had more to say during the Sugar Bowl and then I have no idea where Patterson went.

I found all of them highly entertaining.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Arthur pigby sellers.

One of the coaches walked out of the room after Brett farted on him. Couldn't tell who it was?  That's probably why Patterson left To get some fresh air.

twistitup

Chaney is where he is because he has done a good job of coaching, play calling, etc....we are RB U - he could have done a good job here, his boss was the problem
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

SurfnSun

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 02, 2018, 09:49:04 am
You do know Bert's gone and he isn't coming back don't you?

I'm glad he's gone but that was about the dumbest f'ing thing I've ever read on here.  It took a new level of stupid to type it.

If the next Powerball winner only accepts half of the winnings I'll come back and amend my post...until that time it stands.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: SurfnSun on January 02, 2018, 07:01:09 pm
I'm glad he's gone but that was about the dumbest f'ing thing I've ever read on here.  It took a new level of stupid to type it.

If the next Powerball winner only accepts half of the winnings I'll come back and amend my post...until that time it stands.

The poster I was responding to has a long history of Bert defending and has not always been very polite in doing so.  Hence my post.

You owe me a favor.  I typed real slowly so people like you stand a chance of possibly understanding it.

farmhawg

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on January 02, 2018, 04:30:21 pm
One of the coaches walked out of the room after Brett farted on him. Couldn't tell who it was?  That's probably why Patterson left To get some fresh air.
Classy Brett.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on January 02, 2018, 04:30:21 pm

Larry Fedora of UNC, that Chipotle/vodka air biscuit probably singed his nose hairs..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: twistitup on January 02, 2018, 06:44:14 pm
Chaney is where he is because he has done a good job of coaching, play calling, etc....we are RB U - he could have done a good job here, his boss was the problem

You are one of the few here who get it. The Chaney haters are laughable. One suggested the other night that the only reason Kirby Smart hired him was to get Sam Pittman. Pittman is good at what he does but no head coach with a brain would hire an incompetient play caller to direct his offense just to get the O-line coach he wanted.

About 99.999 % of the population has never called a play in an football game. Yet were have so many experts on the subject.

Not long before he left for Pitt I ran into Chaney at a high school playoff game. He was there recruiting a QB. Without directly saying it he made it clear to me that Bielema had been heavily involved in his play calling. In particular he said, you can have a philosophy of lining up and running it down your opponent's throat all you want but if you don't have the players to do it you better be able to throw the ball.

He also said that those who analyze play calling do it after the fact. "That's the easiest job I can think of," he laughed. "Try doing it in real time and get back to me on that."

The bottom line: Bielema continues to rip this guy and he just got fired. Cheney will be coaching in the national championship game.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

hawgmasta

Quote from: hawganatic on January 02, 2018, 10:18:46 am
I never had a problem with Chaney while he was here, but can you honestly say that our offense didn't get better after he left.

Chaney is good, but Enos is better.  Any time you can upgrade at a position, you do it.

I think if Georgia had Enos they would be much more comfortable going into the game. Sagan probably is pretty confident going up against Chaney.

sowmonella

Quote from: hawgmasta on January 04, 2018, 08:06:38 am
I think if Georgia had Enos they would be much more comfortable going into the game. Sagan probably is pretty confident going up against Chaney.
Carl Sagan??
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

jkstock04

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 04, 2018, 07:47:02 am
You are one of the few here who get it. The Chaney haters are laughable. One suggested the other night that the only reason Kirby Smart hired him was to get Sam Pittman. Pittman is good at what he does but no head coach with a brain would hire an incompetient play caller to direct his offense just to get the O-line coach he wanted.

About 99.999 % of the population has never called a play in an football game. Yet were have so many experts on the subject.

Not long before he left for Pitt I ran into Chaney at a high school playoff game. He was there recruiting a QB. Without directly saying it he made it clear to me that Bielema had been heavily involved in his play calling. In particular he said, you can have a philosophy of lining up and running it down your opponent's throat all you want but if you don't have the players to do it you better be able to throw the ball.

He also said that those who analyze play calling do it after the fact. "That's the easiest job I can think of," he laughed. "Try doing it in real time and get back to me on that."

The bottom line: Bielema continues to rip this guy and he just got fired. Cheney will be coaching in the national championship game.
Qb play was laughable under Chaney. Clown show laughable. Under Enos there was obvious improvement. Coincidence?

If you are going to say somehow Bielema was hampering qb development under Chaney...ya I don't know. I just can't see a guy like Chaney actively working with qbs.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Athog

Quote from: alohawg on January 01, 2018, 08:39:26 pm
Not interested in anything that overweight blowhard says, unless it's an apology and forfeiture of his buyout.

Get over yourself!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: twistitup on January 02, 2018, 06:44:14 pm

UGA is where they are because of the defense, the stable of RB's, and finally a QB that will game manage. 

Chaney came out in the OU game being "cute".  He was told to stop and look what happened. 

His boss was obviously a problem, but Chaney had issues at well.  a power LT run won him that game against OU because of the ability of his O line and Rb's.  Don't over think that.

onebadrubi

Now that the Bielema era is over, I believe we saw that Bielema influenced both sides of the ball, play calling, scheme, etc.  We went through multiple DC's and played the same damn thing over and over again.  I believe the same should be said on the offensive side of the ball, however when Chaney left Drew Morgan even said in an interview how much more sophisticated Enos passing tree/route tree was over Chaney's.  He went on to say how much more detailed it was about spacing and why if one receiver does this it does this for receiver 2, and so on.  However, under Enos our run game got more finesse and less pound.  Either way you want to cut it, argue about it, or whatever, the problem obviously was with Bielema. 

twistitup

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 04, 2018, 09:23:28 am
Qb play was laughable under Chaney. Clown show laughable. Under Enos there was obvious improvement. Coincidence?

If you are going to say somehow Bielema was hampering qb development under Chaney...ya I don't know. I just can't see a guy like Chaney actively working with qbs.

Chaney deserves more respect than he gets
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hoglady

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 04, 2018, 09:23:28 am

If you are going to say somehow Bielema was hampering qb development under Chaney...ya I don’t know. I just can’t see a guy like Chaney actively working with qbs.

I don't know what happened here but Chaney has done an exceptional job with the true freshman QB at Georgia.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

SooieGeneris

Was Bert critical of Chaney during that telecast? I didn't watch much of it. Some of the coaches weren't contributing anything and Bert contributed negatively to the air quality apparently..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

hawgmasta

racinghog

Chaney has been given credit for Drew Brees for his time at Purdue. Truth is he was not the QB coach, Greg Olsen was. He is currently the QB coach with the Rams. Chaney has been a OL or TE coach most of his career. He only started to coach QB his last year at TN. I agree this freshman has played well this year, but the QB from last year got worse as the year progressed.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Athog on January 02, 2018, 10:37:11 am
Not true!! He had good insight and did contribute. I agree Patterson talks all the time. Bret also farted!
It just seemed to me that Bert was always mumbling.  or low talking maybe.  I couldn't understand much of what he was saying.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 04, 2018, 12:20:36 pm
It just seemed to me that Bert was always mumbling.  or low talking maybe.  I couldn't understand much of what he was saying.

Odds are Bert didn't understand much of what he was saying either.

Inhogswetrust

I'm of the belief now that Bret's problem that was brought out about not being able to keep good assistants at Wisconsin had nothing to do with money or Barry Alvarez not giving him what he wanted. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 04, 2018, 12:33:06 pm
Still waiting for the air to clear ???

Got Hazmat working on it, and a painting crew waiting in the wings even as we speak.

Mike Irwin

January 04, 2018, 12:44:13 pm #79 Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:02:28 pm by Mike Irwin
 Most of you get it. A few of you are going sit there acting like you know something when you've never developed a QB, never called a play in a game, never even coached.

Jim Chaney is the quarterbacks coach and play caller for one of the top two teams in the country. His quarterback is a true freshman, an incredible accomplishment. And yet the rest of us are suppposed to believe you guys that the man doesn't know what he's doing.  ???

seasonhog

Mike, you are the one in the know.....how come you didn't let us know a long time ago how sorry of a coach Bielema is.

When Bielema was hired & said that we were running it down AL throat I knew we were in trouble....5 years & a ton of money to correct.

We can support our coaches....but when they are not getting the job done, they need to be called out.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 04, 2018, 12:44:13 pm
Most of you get it. A few of you are going sit there acting like you know something when you've never developed a QB, never called a play in a game, never even coached.

Jim Chaney is the quarterbacks coach and play caller for one of the top two teams in the country. His quarterback is a true freshman, an incredible accomplishment. And yet the rest of us are suppposed to believe you guys that the man doesn't know what he's doing.  ???

Chaney is a good coach. But all fans sometimes question play calling. It's simply part of being a fan. It's also after the fact when the fan and coaches know what happened. It's the proverbial 20/20 vision. When the play works the fans say "Brilliant!". When it doesn't they say "stupid call!".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Coaches get too much credit and too much blame for player development, especially QBs.

Jake Fromm was a 5-star QB from the get-go. He developed those skills, surely with help, long before he reported to Georgia. That doesn't mean he won't improve under Chaney, but the physical and mental tools and mechanics were there, and only so much of that can be "developed".  Otherwise there'd be a lot more great QBs.

What Jim Chaney has done at Georgia is take the great talent he has and build an offense that works around it. That's what good OCs do. He didn't develop Nick Chubb or Sony Michel or Jake Fromm. He puts them in position to he successful.

He has better raw material at Georgia than he did at Arkansas. Maybe that's why he took that job.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 04, 2018, 01:33:39 pm
Coaches get too much credit and too much blame for player development, especially QBs.

Jake Fromm was a 5-star QB from the get-go. He developed those skills, surely with help, long before he reported to Georgia. That doesn't mean he won't improve under Chaney, but the physical and mental tools and mechanics were there, and only so much of that can be "developed".  Otherwise there'd be a lot more great QBs.

What Jim Chaney has done at Georgia is take the great talent he has and build an offense that works. That's what good OCs do. He didn't develop Nick Chubb or Sony Michel or Jake Fromm. He puts them in position to he successful.

He has better raw material at Georgia than he did at Arkansas. Maybe that's why he took that job.

He actually did't leave Arkansas straight for Georgia. He had another stop along the way at Pitt. That can make one think there were other reasons besides "raw material".

Kevin

what I did not like about the whole bret era, was the constant lying to cover up crab that was going on. like it takes 3 years to get the offense in. well, chaney is winning with a true freshman qb, in his second year as oc at Georgia.

it was just one cover up lie after another up there.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2018, 01:36:37 pm
He actually did't leave Arkansas straight for Georgia. He had another stop along the way at Pitt. That can make one think there were other reasons besides "raw material".

Maybe I confused him with Pittman.

Not the point, anyway. He has better raw material at Georgia and likely always will. Georgia has 6 five-stars committed for 2018. Saban and Malzahn have to go to Georgia to compete with Georgia.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

seasonhog

Quote from: Kevin on January 04, 2018, 01:38:05 pm
what I did not like about the whole bret era, was the constant lying to cover up crab that was going on. like it takes 3 years to get the offense in. well, chaney is winning with a true freshman qb, in his second year as oc at Georgia.

it was just one cover up lie after another up there.

Right on!

Already in the mind of many fans on HV.....is this Morris should be giving 3 or so years to get his players in .. were he can win......" Bull "   we will know how good of a coach he is next season.

They were people wanting to give Bielema another year....

The OTR

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 04, 2018, 01:40:50 pm

Not the point, anyway. He has better raw material at Georgia and likely always will. Georgia has 6 five-stars committed for 2018. Saban and Malzahn have to go to Georgia to compete with Georgia.

Don't get me started on Pittman. He couldn't figure out how to block the stunts against Toledo. Only stunts Pittman understands are things like flying over 50 greyhound buses on a motorsickle or flying a rocket over Snake River canyon. Knows nothing about stunts in football.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 04, 2018, 02:16:11 pm

Don't get me started on Pittman. He couldn't figure out how to block the stunts against Toledo. Only stunts Pittman understands are things like flying over 50 greyhound buses on a motorsickle or flying a rocket over Snake River canyon. Knows nothing about stunts in football.

You mean he's really Evel Knievel?    :o

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 04, 2018, 01:40:50 pm

I wasn't dogging your post. Yes Pitman went straight to Georgia. Even that is a little hint of the point I was trying to make. Maybe all that stuff about Wisconsin and his not able to keep assistants due to pay wasn't all true. Maybe he might have been part of the reason so many left. When he first got to Arkansas it was thought he had a good assemblage of assistants. Somehow he didn't keep them here or at Wisconsin. Yes Chaney is where more raw material is generally easier to assemble. Georgia is smack in the middle of a top recruiting area.

010HogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2018, 12:25:23 pm
I'm of the belief now that Bret's problem that was brought out about not being able to keep good assistants at Wisconsin had nothing to do with money or Barry Alvarez not giving him what he wanted. 

Bingo. We were sold a bill of goods.

GoHogs1091

Georgia's offense is not as good as Clemson's offense.  Clemson's offense had trouble against Saban's NFL farm club defense. 

You don't have a chance against/beat Alabama running straight ahead with good Running Backs, which is what Georgia has.  You have to have elite QB play and elite WR play to have a chance against/beat the Alabama NFL farm club defense, for instance Johnny Manziel/Mike Evans and Deshaun Watson/Mike Williams.

Georgia might get a little help from the fact that Saban won't have nearly a month to prepare for their offense like the almost full month he had to prepare for Clemson's offense.

SavoySeamster

Quote from: hoglady on January 04, 2018, 11:32:33 am
I don't know what happened here but Chaney has done an exceptional job with the true freshman QB at Georgia.

What happened here is apparently what's currently happening at LSU, a head coach who won't truly turn his coordinators loose. We remedied the situation by firing BB, but Coach O seems to be a "meddler" as well. I agree, I think Chaney is plenty capable as an OC, but you have to play to strengths of your team.
"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes."

Mike Irwin

Quote from: seasonhog on January 04, 2018, 01:30:56 pm

Mike, you are the one in the know.....how come you didn't let us know a long time ago how sorry of a coach Bielema is.

When Bielema was hired & said that we were running it down AL throat I knew we were in trouble....5 years & a ton of money to correct.

We can support our coaches....but when they are not getting the job done, they need to be called out.
I defended Chaney till I was blue in the face on this board. Very few wanted to hear anything about it. As far as Bielema being a "sorry coach" I don't think he is. He brought the wrong philosophy to this school but it took time for that to become obvious. I don't jump to conclusions. I felt like he needed time to make his system work.

At South Carolina it finally hit me. We're five years in and his program is going downhill. Maybe some of you knew it a lot sooner but the nature of my job requires me to be cautious.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 04, 2018, 02:16:11 pm

He's one of the most respected O-line coaches in college football. Nick Saban tried to hire him away from Arkansas. He is coaching in the national championship game. If he was as clueless as you think he would be like the guy who replaced him. Unemployed.

Wild Bill Hog

Kevin

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 04, 2018, 08:12:31 pm
He's one of the most respected O-line coaches in college football. Nick Saban tried to hire him away from Arkansas. He is coaching in the national championship game. If he was as clueless as you think he would be like the guy who replaced him. Unemployed.

the final verdict is: it was not money why assistants flee away from cbb. it is him. chaney & pittman, were just two of many to have had enough of the guy.

i am not sure if cbb is a good coach or not. he one job away from alvarez turn out to be a disaster.

The OTR

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 04, 2018, 08:12:31 pm

Getting chewed out by Mike Irwin on Hogville was on my bucket list.  Now I can mark that one off.  Wait a minute.  I think you got me when I said I could make 1 out of 25 shots in a college basketball game after a horrible night of shooting for the hogs.  Yep.  I still think I could luck in 1 out of 25. 

If memory serves me, and it usually does, I believe I heard you mention on the radio more than once that the reason we got beat by Toledo was because Pittman couldn't figure out how to handle their stunts on the defensive line. 

At the time you said it, and you may have even said it here, it struck me as a little bit silly that an experienced offensive line coach couldn't figure out how to block a stunting defensive line from a team that seemed at least at that time to be inferior to us in terms of talent level and status.  In retrospect they were probably superior to us in many ways although we didn't want to admit it at the time.  After hearing this I do remember posting a wide variety of things about Pittman's knowledge about stunts.  I believe that was when I was posting as OTR.  OTR historians can probably dig up some of those doozies.

I hope Alabama doesn't stunt (Not that they need to with a defensive line that looks like extras from a a prison movie working out with heavy barbells in the yard) or Georgia will not have a chance.

urkillnmesmalls

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 04, 2018, 09:33:23 pm
Getting chewed out by Mike Irwin on Hogville was on my bucket list.  Now I can mark that one off.  Wait a minute.  I think you got me when I said I could make 1 out of 25 shots in a college basketball game after a horrible night of shooting for the hogs.  Yep.  I still think I could luck in 1 out of 25. 

If memory serves me, and it usually does, I believe I heard you mention on the radio more than once that the reason we got beat by Toledo was because Pittman couldn't figure out how to handle their stunts on the defensive line. 

At the time you said it, and you may have even said it here, it struck me as a little bit silly that an experienced offensive line coach couldn't figure out how to block a stunting defensive line from a team that seemed at least at that time to be inferior to us in terms of talent level and status.  In retrospect they were probably superior to us in many ways although we didn't want to admit it at the time.  After hearing this I do remember posting a wide variety of things about Pittman's knowledge about stunts.  I believe that was when I was posting as OTR.  OTR historians can probably dig up some of those doozies.

I hope Alabama doesn't stunt (Not that they need to with a defensive line that looks like extras from a a prison movie working out with heavy barbells in the yard) or Georgia will not have a chance.

I swear, if Bama comes out running nothing but stunts on the O-line, and it works, I will need oxygen.   ;D

We had so many coordinators and position coaches here under BB that I can't even keep up.  I can't even remember which ones stunk, and which ones were good!  Here's what I think....UGA has a great running game, which served them well in beating most teams with good D-lines.  It failed them against Auburn in the first go around when Auburn was rested and healthy.  It's UGA's successful running game that sets up play action. 

I cannot see a single reason UGA should be able to beat Bama on Monday.  I don't think they'll be able to run, which means they will be one dimensional with a Fr. QB against a Bama secondary, and pass rush.  That doesn't usually end well. 

I don't think Bama will move it great on UGA's defense either, but they'll do enough to win, and I bet they hold UGA to under 300 yards of total offense.

As for getting scolded by Mike, that's a right of passage on Hogville.  He's right most of the time, and has great insight.  But, you can tell by his post that there could be a long line of people who will say they knew before BB was even on campus that it was a horrible hire and we were doomed to failure.  They're quick to point it out to everyone else who wanted to give BB a chance, but where are all these bold prognosticators telling Mike "I told you so."  That's what I want to know....   :D 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.