Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WHAT WE AREN'T

Started by 12247, August 16, 2008, 07:31:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I often wonder about some of the posters on here.  Its like we expect most every recruit to fall all over himself for a shot to maybe have a chance to play for one of our Hog teams.  In nearly every sport offering scholarships, only about 20 percent of the players available can go anywhere they wish and be welcome, while 80 percent want to believe they can.  In reality, there are about 10 to 15 Universities that nearly every kid wants to play for and only settles for less when reality sets in.  True, you do have a few players in every state that dreamed of playing for the local University and they aren't interested in being recruited, they just want to sign.  Unfortunately, Arkansas isn't a place recruits are putting at the top of their list just praying they will get an offer except track and field maybe, but no other sports.  I think we shouldn't belittle nearly every recruit we hear about who may have picked some other school over us.  We need to try and stay nice, be postive, win games and the recruits will come.

JShipCPA

Well said... 

CBP and winning will allow us to take quantum leaps with recruiting...

Wu Tang Clan

Great post and right on. 

Poker_hog

Quote from: 12247 on August 16, 2008, 07:31:20 pm
I often wonder about some of the posters on here.  Its like we expect most every recruit to fall all over himself for a shot to maybe have a chance to play for one of our Hog teams.  In nearly every sport offering scholarships, only about 20 percent of the players available can go anywhere they wish and be welcome, while 80 percent want to believe they can.  In reality, there are about 10 to 15 Universities that nearly every kid wants to play for and only settles for less when reality sets in.  True, you do have a few players in every state that dreamed of playing for the local University and they aren't interested in being recruited, they just want to sign.  Unfortunately, Arkansas isn't a place recruits are putting at the top of their list just praying they will get an offer except track and field maybe, but no other sports.  I think we shouldn't belittle nearly every recruit we hear about who may have picked some other school over us.  We need to try and stay nice, be postive, win games and the recruits will come.

This is basically what Nolan and Frank have said.... Po-ten-chal
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

RZRBack_FAN

We use to be one of those Top 15 in Basketball. I just hope Pel can get us back there.

Razorvet

We are a top twenty five football program. Our coach is sixth highest paid in the nation. We are top fifteen in cash producing football programs. Our facilties are top ten. We play in the SEC. We send players to the NFl as well as any school in the country. We have everything recruits are looking for. The reason people are double taking is bc we are not able to translate that into recruits.

I believe it may be Fayettville. There just isnt enough appeal to teens. The only thing for a guy to do is get high and get busted. Its time to change that. We need things around town that would draw a family to the area, draw a group of young adults for spring break, and draw tourism dollars. I blame the NWA city planners. I hear nothing but whinning any time someone tries to invest money there to improve the quality of life. Too many lawyers with too much time on thier hands filing law suits to keep growth out. Dont these people know how hard it is to get people to invest thier hard earned money into you city? If your festivals appeal to 80 y/o couples they are not worth telling recruits about. Get with the times Fayettville. Build something exciting. Put yourself on the map.

farmhawg

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 16, 2008, 09:17:33 pm
We use to be one of those Top 15 in Basketball. I just hope Pel can get us back there.
We never had that in BBall. We did not get and have all the recruits wanting to come here. Pel works harder at recruiting than Nolan ever did.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

RZRBack_FAN

August 17, 2008, 12:15:44 am #7 Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:19:32 am by ChargerHog
Well you just lost any credibility you ever had.

May be the dumbest post ever on hogville.

Ever heard of Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Corliss Williamson, Oliver Miller, Darnell Robinson, Andre Igadola.

I love Pel but he hasnt YET recruited a tenth of talent compared to Nolan. Yeah he quit recruiting in his last few years but when he was in his prime he was one of the TOP 10 coaches. You blatantly showed your ignorance with that post man. He even had the #1 ranked class at one time most of those guys never made it to campus but none the less Nolan could recruit and we were one of the TOP 15 schools for recruits to consider.

Hoggle

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 17, 2008, 12:15:44 am

Ever heard of Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Corliss Williamson, Oliver Miller, Darnell Robinson, Andre Igadola.

I love Pel but he hasnt YET recruited a tenth of talent compared to Nolan. Yeah he quit recruiting in his last few years but when he was in his prime he was one of the TOP 10 coaches. You blatantly showed your ignorance with that post man. He even had the #1 ranked class at one time most of those guys never made it to campus but none the less Nolan could recruit and we were one of the TOP 15 schools for recruits to consider.

Nolan lost A LOT of recruiting battles, seems like he lost most of the big ones.  Huery, Mayberry and Day was the peak of his recruiting, IMO.  The National Championship team had Corlis (from Russellville) and Darnell.  McDaniel, Beck, Crawford, Divac, Biley, Martin, Crawford, Thurman, Dillard were NOT particularly highly recruited.  Lee Wilson maybe a little and maybe McDaniel.  Nolan was constantly losing out on the A. Hardaways, G.Honeycutts, J. Wards, O. Harringtons, L. Wrights, etc.

As a recuiter who could get high profile guys, I would give Nolan a 3 out of 10.  As a coach (when he was motivated) I would give Nolan a 9.5 out of 10.

RZRBack_FAN

August 17, 2008, 01:23:56 am #9 Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:30:47 am by ChargerHog
3 out of 10 is way to low you dont sign guys like the ones i mentioned  above very often.

Hardaway wanted to stay home and play for Memphis cant do anything about.

he did lose a few but he landed alot. Day, Mayberry, Williamson(doesnt matter where he is from, sure didnt matter with AJ Walton), Robinson, Wilson, McDaniel, Igadola,Derek Hood(MD AllAmerican), Kareem Reid.

Cant argue with facts.

DarthHog

I agree with you on not being so down on recruits who commit to other schools especially when they haven't signed a LOI.  The kids work hard on the field and in the gym to get the offers they have and they have every right to go where they feel is best for them.  I think our biggest knock on our football recruiting is the staff doesn't have a body of work in the SEC to point to and show players what they have to look forward to or to prove that they can win in the SEC.  Nutt never went after too many big name guys out of state he played it safe and got what he could mainly from a certain block and never really grew out recruiting base something this staff knows they will have to do to reach the level that people expect them to.  Nolan did great bring guys in to fit his type of ball until he stopped getting the talent out of Memphis and that area.  Nolan in my opinion got burned bring a few in state kids over better talent out of state because people wanted the in state kids in razorback uniforms.  I have seen people complain because the staff didn't go after this in state kid and I say let the staff get who they want after all if they are doing the cooking let them by their own groceries so to speak and then if what they produce sucks then you call them on it.  Recruiting isn't an exact science it is more of an art form and you should never judge a work of art until it is finished in recruiting that usually means holding off until the class has been through one or two seasons.

opineonswine

Quote from: Razorvet on August 16, 2008, 10:10:32 pm
We are a top twenty five football program. Our coach is sixth highest paid in the nation. We are top fifteen in cash producing football programs. Our facilties are top ten. We play in the SEC. We send players to the NFl as well as any school in the country. We have everything recruits are looking for. The reason people are double taking is bc we are not able to translate that into recruits.

I believe it may be Fayettville. There just isnt enough appeal to teens. The only thing for a guy to do is get high and get busted. Its time to change that. We need things around town that would draw a family to the area, draw a group of young adults for spring break, and draw tourism dollars. I blame the NWA city planners. I hear nothing but whinning any time someone tries to invest money there to improve the quality of life. Too many lawyers with too much time on thier hands filing law suits to keep growth out. Dont these people know how hard it is to get people to invest thier hard earned money into you city? If your festivals appeal to 80 y/o couples they are not worth telling recruits about. Get with the times Fayettville. Build something exciting. Put yourself on the map.

Your post, is well....RIDICULOUS.

As college towns go, F'ville rivals most.  You ever been to Auburn, Gainesville, Athens, Knoxville, etc., etc, etc.?

IronHog

Quote from: opineonswine on August 17, 2008, 08:17:48 am

As college towns go, F'ville rivals most.  You ever been to Auburn, Gainesville, Athens, Knoxville, etc., etc, etc.?

F'ville is not all most NWA'ers think it is, but it is not the problem.

The problem is national exposure and reputation.  JFB ran the BAC like it was the 1960's totally ignoring the power of the internets and modern media.

When the media treats you like no where state, you will recruit like no where state.  It will take time to undo what has not been done for the past 35 years.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jmalott86

Quote from: IronHog on August 17, 2008, 09:04:27 am
F'ville is not all most NWA'ers think it is, but it is not the problem.

The problem is national exposure and reputation.  JFB ran the BAC like it was the 1960's totally ignoring the power of the internets and modern media.

When the media treats you like no where state, you will recruit like no where state.  It will take time to undo what has not been done for the past 35 years.

Internets? Is there more than one?

farmhawg

Go back and read the post this time. We have NEVER had the program that recruits had us at the top of the list but settled for other schools. IF you could read you would understand that. We had some great players here but never on the level of the top programs. How many of those were highly ranked besides Corliss? Andre never played here so I am not sure why you included him.

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Razorvet

Ive lived at Fort Cambell which is just north of Nashville and they stay busy there. That is one of my top college towns. They lack a winning tradition and even a dedication to winning but if they ever decide to make it a priority they could do very well. Ive lived in Seattle and they should have no problem recruiting except there are those who have filed lawsuit after law suit to keep things from getting better. Like suing to keep out a Nascar track? WTH? Who sues to keep a major sports venue out of thier county? Again they dont have the dedication to winning but will soon. I hear a donor offered to pay the coaches buy out. Ive lived in Los Angeles and Fayettville doesnt compare. I think Rapid City South Dakota has Fayettville beat.

Fayettville does rival Knoxville except that Knoxville is a little more unified. I have family threre and visit often and have noticed the level of snobbery is a lot lower than NWA. I am impressed by what Tennesse has done where they are but I have to say that Knoxville is a dump. So you are right about that one

I agree about Auburn but they arent exactly the program I want to emulate. They have better instate talent.

Athens has Fayettville beat by a landslide. Georgia is a recruiting hotbed.

And Gainesville is still in Florida. Florida is nice. Florida has so many built in recruiting advantages I believe even Nutt could win there.

We could go around ranking college towns all we want but our built in bias is gonna make us place ours higher than we should. I know all about this bc as a young GI I often spent time in variuos military towns. My situation wasnt much different from a student aathlete. I have little money. I was bored. I wanted something fun to do. All too often i eneded up drunk bc being drunk made nothing to do sound fun. Now I admit I am not an expert on Fayettville so I would like you to help me out. Tell me where I should go in Fayettville for a good time next weekend. Pleae dont include the bars bc I am an 18 YO student athlete and I cant get in there.

Hogdomer

August 17, 2008, 01:59:20 pm #16 Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:01:56 pm by Hogdomer
Andre never played here so I am not sure why you included him.

He included Igadola because he signed a letter of intent to play here when Nolan was still the coach.  Your post was about recruiting, not who played here.  The University released Iguadola from his obligation when Nolan was fired and he went to Arizona. 

PotBelliedPig29

Great post. Nolan lost out on Jesus Schuttlesworth to Big State back in 1998. That recruiting battle is what lead to the down fall of his career.
"I'm very excited to be the head coach at Ole Miss University'' -HDN

"We are too" -Arkansas

Flatline

Quote from: opineonswine on August 17, 2008, 08:17:48 am

Norman, OK. would be another example.

wholehog92

Quote from: Razorvet on August 17, 2008, 11:49:55 am
I know all about this bc as a young GI I often spent time in variuos military towns. My situation wasnt much different from a student aathlete. I have little money. I was bored. I wanted something fun to do. All too often i eneded up drunk bc being drunk made nothing to do sound fun. Now I admit I am not an expert on Fayettville so I would like you to help me out. Tell me where I should go in Fayettville for a good time next weekend. Pleae dont include the bars bc I am an 18 YO student athlete and I cant get in there.

There are things to do around Fville.  You have bikes, blues, bbq that is becoming a very large rally.  You have the Amp with decent music for reasonable ticket prices.  There are state parks for hiking and outdoor stuff in literally every direction.  There are several mountain biking trails in Fayetteville and Bentonville and even Bella Vista.  The Naturals tix are very reasonable and even have dollar drink nights including sodas for the dd.  Every weekend there is something going on campus from student life.  There are aquatic centers in most of the cities in the area for swimming and ogling other teens.  Having been a GI myself around Moore, OK, scoff if you want about getting drunk and doing nothing, but if you do decide that is your plight for the weekend, at least it's not 3.2 beer.  Moore is just north of Norman, so I can say this with conviction, Fayetteville is far better off than Norman on the things to do for a young stud athlete meter.  Yet they still manage to get recruits to go there.

I agree with a previous poster that says it's a perception thing perpetuated by the media.  Our coaches have even said as much by saying if they can get them to come to campus, they have a good success rate at getting commitments.  I will, therefore reserve my right to point out a perceived flaw in a recruits evaluation of us if he hasn't even visited.  That is my prerogative as a fan and newly chosen enemy of the recruits poor choice of schooling.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

razorhog52

Quote from: farmhawg on August 17, 2008, 11:13:52 am
Go back and read the post this time. We have NEVER had the program that recruits had us at the top of the list but settled for other schools. IF you could read you would understand that. We had some great players here but never on the level of the top programs. How many of those were highly ranked besides Corliss? Andre never played here so I am not sure why you included him.

Nolan seemed to have better luck with less highly recruited players than highly recruited players. And we did win a lot of recruiting battles.

Kareem Reid - McD AA
Derek Hood - McD AA
Corliss Williamson - McD AA
Glendon Alexander - McD AA
Darnell Robinson - McD AA
Jesse Pate - #1 JUCO player
Todd Day - Highly recruited (McD AA?)
Lee Mayberry - Highly recruited
Isaiah Morris - Top JUCO
Oliver Miller - Highly recruited
Andre Iguodala - McD AA

thehill1414

Just to add on to this last post...

Olu was the #4 ranked player in the nation out of hs
Al Jefferson was definitely a McD AA

thechamp

IMO you guys should be getting bluechippers in basketball. too much tradition and qualitiy facilities for Arkansas to not be competing for the best. as for football, it is amazing how winning a few sec titles and bcs bowls can shape your recruiting. florida state, miami, etc. used to come in and take LA talent from us repeatedly. when we started winning titles the talent began to stay home and gradually we were able to expand our recruiting in texas, mississippi and florida. if petrino takes home some sec titles the recruits will follow, but not before then.

RZRBack_FAN

Thank you hogdomer and razorhog52.

People like farmhawg should have their posting privileges revoked. To say Nolan didnt land big recruits is idiotic. Go READ some Razorback history before posting stuff you know nothing about.

Razorvet

Your right about the outdoor offerings here in Arkansas. Thats a big reason I make Arkansas my home. But Im not sure that is a big priority for young people brought up in an urban center. I would think events like B, B, & BBQ are not really drawing that crowd either. I would like to see a few things to draw in a younger crowd.

Things that come to mind are IMAX. MiniGolf (Not put put). MiniNascar( Its something I found in Germany. The cars are super fast and governed so all cars have the same race speed. And the tracks are indy style but I would modify it to be more like Nascar and have seasons). Paintball, Im sure it available but its rarley done right. And concerts. Fayettville needs to become a place for big venue concerts. A space camp simulator.
The prices have to be within reach for a student so that would have to be kept in mind. I may be dreaming a little here. But its stuff like that that keeps young people busy and allows them to have a good time without getting in trouble. They can meet the right kinds of people to hang out with. If I had the time and the money ( I could borrow it) then these are the kinds of things I might implement around Fayettville. Also would like to see a version of Branson Landing in Fayettville.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: wholehog92 on August 17, 2008, 04:24:29 pm
There are things to do around Fville.  You have bikes, blues, bbq that is becoming a very large rally.  You have the Amp with decent music for reasonable ticket prices.  There are state parks for hiking and outdoor stuff in literally every direction.  There are several mountain biking trails in Fayetteville and Bentonville and even Bella Vista.  The Naturals tix are very reasonable and even have dollar drink nights including sodas for the dd.  Every weekend there is something going on campus from student life.  There are aquatic centers in most of the cities in the area for swimming and ogling other teens.  Having been a GI myself around Moore, OK, scoff if you want about getting drunk and doing nothing, but if you do decide that is your plight for the weekend, at least it's not 3.2 beer.  Moore is just north of Norman, so I can say this with conviction, Fayetteville is far better off than Norman on the things to do for a young stud athlete meter.  Yet they still manage to get recruits to go there.

I agree with a previous poster that says it's a perception thing perpetuated by the media.  Our coaches have even said as much by saying if they can get them to come to campus, they have a good success rate at getting commitments.  I will, therefore reserve my right to point out a perceived flaw in a recruits evaluation of us if he hasn't even visited.  That is my prerogative as a fan and newly chosen enemy of the recruits poor choice of schooling.

That sounds like fun if you are fifty.  Most college towns are only 30 - 40 miles from a big city which Fayettville is not.  Fayettville is extremely boring for an active 18 year old looking for a diverse setting. 

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: thechamp on August 17, 2008, 06:02:52 pm
IMO you guys should be getting bluechippers in basketball. too much tradition and qualitiy facilities for Arkansas to not be competing for the best. as for football, it is amazing how winning a few sec titles and bcs bowls can shape your recruiting. florida state, miami, etc. used to come in and take LA talent from us repeatedly. when we started winning titles the talent began to stay home and gradually we were able to expand our recruiting in texas, mississippi and florida. if petrino takes home some sec titles the recruits will follow, but not before then.
nice post.....i remember those days before saban and lsu was usually alright but not a power.  seems like after they started winning, they kept everyone in louisiana that they wanted and started reaching over into texas a lot also.  it's all about exposure and teams that win get a lot more.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

IronHog

Quote from: Razorvet on August 17, 2008, 08:18:16 pm
Your right about the outdoor offerings here in Arkansas. Thats a big reason I make Arkansas my home. But Im not sure that is a big priority for young people brought up in an urban center. I would think events like B, B, & BBQ are not really drawing that crowd either. I would like to see a few things to draw in a younger crowd.

Things that come to mind are IMAX. MiniGolf (Not put put). MiniNascar( Its something I found in Germany. The cars are super fast and governed so all cars have the same race speed. And the tracks are indy style but I would modify it to be more like Nascar and have seasons). Paintball, Im sure it available but its rarley done right. And concerts. Fayettville needs to become a place for big venue concerts. A space camp simulator.
The prices have to be within reach for a student so that would have to be kept in mind. I may be dreaming a little here. But its stuff like that that keeps young people busy and allows them to have a good time without getting in trouble. They can meet the right kinds of people to hang out with. If I had the time and the money ( I could borrow it) then these are the kinds of things I might implement around Fayettville. Also would like to see a version of Branson Landing in Fayettville.

18 Y/O male athletes don't give a rip about that stuff.  Football and scholl will eat up most of their time.  They want to be on sports center, see the "action", have a shot at the NFL and check out co-ed's.

Get them on sportscenter and they will come....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

cbjagman

Wouldn't necessarily argue for some kids that might be correct. However, how many times have we also had prospects also rave about the beauty of the countryside (not to mention the young ladies), the great facilities and coaching staff, passion of the fans, etc. etc.
IMHO one of major obstacles is the PERCEPTION that many of these kids have before they come (if they ever even take a trip to the Hill). Unfortunately, many of these kids only hear the reputation of a school or state from their parents, peers, news media, etc.. Certainly another issue is the tradition of the school and perhaps more importantly, the records of the team. "Win and they will come" influence a lot of these recruits, especially if it comes down to a couple of schools. It seems that the team with the best record will more than likely, but not always, win the battle for the recruit.

Razorvet

Quote from: IronHog on August 19, 2008, 12:14:52 pm
18 Y/O male athletes don't give a rip about that stuff.  Football and scholl will eat up most of their time.  They want to be on sports center, see the "action", have a shot at the NFL and check out co-ed's.

Get them on sportscenter and they will come....
Is this an assumption? I know TV exposure is important but if thats the only edge you have its not much of an edge. There are lots of games on TV these days. It helps to get National exposure but there has to be something to do when your off of practice and bored. College football doesnt keep you busy year round. And yes these types of entertainment do appeal to 18 y/o kids.

Razorvet

Quote from: cbjagman on August 19, 2008, 12:26:37 pm
Wouldn't necessarily argue for some kids that might be correct. However, how many times have we also had prospects also rave about the beauty of the countryside (not to mention the young ladies), the great facilities and coaching staff, passion of the fans, etc. etc.
IMHO one of major obstacles is the PERCEPTION that many of these kids have before they come (if they ever even take a trip to the Hill). Unfortunately, many of these kids only hear the reputation of a school or state from their parents, peers, news media, etc.. Certainly another issue is the tradition of the school and perhaps more importantly, the records of the team. "Win and they will come" influence a lot of these recruits, especially if it comes down to a couple of schools. It seems that the team with the best record will more than likely, but not always, win the battle for the recruit.
Oh I absolutly agree winning is the best way to get recruits but thats putting the cart before the horse.

wholehog92

Things that come to mind are IMAX.I can't give away my sources, but one is very close to coming here. MiniGolf (Not put put)Are you talking 9 hole?  Those are almost everywhere a Lindsey appartment is and accessible to the public.. MiniNascar( Its something I found in Germany. The cars are super fast and governed so all cars have the same race speed. And the tracks are indy style but I would modify it to be more like Nascar and have seasons).Those sound cool, not sure how interested an 18 yo is going to be in it unless insurance is really high. Paintball, Im sure it available but its rarley done right.There are a couple of paintball places in the NWA area that do a good job And concerts.Between the Amp, Dixon St, and the Walmart artists, we have pretty good concerts for a college town.  Throw in the occasional Alltel or Tulsa trip and you have all the music your ears can handle. Fayettville needs to become a place for big venue concerts. A space camp simulatorI only know of two of those in the US and they are usually geared for 13-15 year olds..
The prices have to be within reach for a student so that would have to be kept in mind. I may be dreaming a little here. But its stuff like that that keeps young people busy and allows them to have a good time without getting in trouble. They can meet the right kinds of people to hang out with. If I had the time and the money ( I could borrow it) then these are the kinds of things I might implement around Fayettville. Also would like to see a version of Branson Landing in Fayettville.Have you been to Pinnacle?  It looks about as similar as it can look without putting in a lake.

I was a nontraditional student and just graduated 2.5 years ago.  I have seen first hand what kids enjoy doing.  I went with them alot of the time.  The things I mentioned were their topics of conversation for the most part and they were always speaking fondly.  Entertaining 18 year olds is pretty tough, they don't want to look like little kids, but enjoy that type of activity just the same.  That's why college towns look boring to adults.  If there were something besides partying that 18 year olds liked to do, you would see it in college towns everywhere.  Guess what, you do.  It's bars and liquor stores.  We've got em in spades.  We also have the other stuff if they are trying to stay out of trouble at least as well as any other college town I've been in.  I was just trying to say that Fayetteville as a town is not a detriment to recruiting.  It may not be an asset, but it's not a liability either.  For the love of all things holy, we are losing recruits to Baylor.  I challenge you to go there and find more to do than in Fayetteville.  The football in Norman Ok has been pretty impressive.  Even Okie St. in that Stillwater hellhole attracts some decent ball players.  Don't get me started on Starkville or Baton Rouge for things that wont get you in trouble.  USC west should require an armed escort to leave campus, they recruit all right.  Arizona is a gang infested wasteland around their campus and they are constantly getting prize recruits in basketball.

As I said before, it may be that the coaches are right and it's a perception thing.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

jamie72921

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 16, 2008, 09:17:33 pm

When?

Even when we were winning big, we didn't have a bunch of HS all americans on the roster, or even listing us in their top choices.

Most of our players weren't highly regarded coming out of HS. Thurman wasn't even offered by La Tech in his home town and he was one of the best.

What has hurt us in Basketball was the rise of Memphis and OU basketball. At one time, we owned Tulsa and Memphis as home base for our recruiting.
Bless your heart

wholehog92

In light of another thread on page 1 of MMQB, let me bring this back to light and see if we get any new opinions.

dougieritch

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 16, 2008, 08:31:55 pm
This is basically what Nolan and Frank have said.... Po-ten-chal

What a shame...Frank also said no one could win in the SEC running the Spread. 

Quote from: 12247 on August 16, 2008, 07:31:20 pm

I agree there is no reason to talk bad about any recruit...honestly I'm surprised N. Barlow had a change of heart after the heat he took for committing to Kansas...of course Kansas is kind of sucking it up this year, so it was probably a good thing he had a change of heart.

I think Arkansas can recruit whomever they want and Petrino and staff are showing it.  Problem is Arkansas fans are used to having an idiot in Nutt who never got off his lazy but and recruited. 

Future's so bright...Gotta wear shades!  (Sorry...Had to)

MojaveJoe

If you can get recruits to come to Norman, you can get them to come to Fayetteville - it's no Austin, but how much night life do the 18 year old recruits really see on their trips (don't tell me I probably don't want to know)?

I think the issue is perception more than anything - Arkansas gets a bad (and unfair!) rap.

Cheers!

Reservoir Hogs

WOW   I really dont get you at all.  You think any of these things is going to help recruit to Fayetteville?   Fayetteville has great charm as a college town.  I really do not think a Mini Nascar (WTH btw) track would ever help lure a top notch recruit to fayetteville.  And for that matter every recruit I have ever heard speak of Fayetteville has said how much they loved the feel of the town and the campus.   I assure you the City Planning board working on a lot of things, but a Mini Golf Corse (also WTH is the diff from this and put put?) is not one of them.
Branson Landing?  You sir are gross... I do not want a Branson Landing in my town. 
If we want to model after a college town Austin is the one to follow.  And we already emulate much of what they do as far as city planning goes.

notreseveredname

Big time recruits are looking to go to the NFL. Their parents look at them as investments.  I think the town and it's entertainment value are way over rated.

Exposure is important factor as well. Those big time established programs have a lot of lure due to national media exposure.

Proximity is a major factor as well.  The year in and year out major programs are within close proximity to furtel recruiting grounds.

Although realistic, what we aren't arguments are a big pet peeve.  I think for me to just give in to mediocrity is unacceptable. I think we can get there, with spring football being established in Arkansas, coaches who don't run one dimensional systems that will win 7.5 games a year that have NFL experience, continued fan support and some luck. More wins will equal better exposure.   I am practical in to thinking not even major athlete is going to be falling over to come here but doesn't mean I can hope. 

HawgnCorona

Quote from: jmalott86 on August 17, 2008, 09:21:37 am
Internets? Is there more than one?

Not quite but is in the makings, look for the second one in about 2010...just like phone numbers they are running out of bandwith (space).

http://www.internet2.edu/
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

heathtits

Quote from: jamie72921 on August 22, 2008, 03:17:03 am
When?

Even when we were winning big, we didn't have a bunch of HS all americans on the roster, or even listing us in their top choices.

Most of our players weren't highly regarded coming out of HS. Thurman wasn't even offered by La Tech in his home town and he was one of the best.

What has hurt us in Basketball was the rise of Memphis and OU basketball. At one time, we owned Tulsa and Memphis as home base for our recruiting.

Read much?

Williamson, Robinson, Reid, Hood. Thats 4 Mickey Ds AAs. Joe Johnson could have easily been one and  Iguodola was signed on before Nolan strolled. If you think we didn't get big names under Nolan, you know nothing about the 1990s.

And Razorvet not to make this too offensive but you sound like John McCain. Out of touch much?  Imax, Gator Golf, Go Carts? I'm pretty sure any 18 year old would laugh in your face if you suggested that as a reason to come to your school.

The town is a minimal factor in our recruiting. We have the essentials, a mall, good women and mild weather for the most part. Just give them each a PS3 or a Xbox and that does the trick, and as someone said before, those guys are either at practice or in class 80 percent of the time. (maybe not the latter actually). BTW you're seriously the only person I think I've ever met who doesn't think Fayetteville is cool.

Plus frat life is pretty good for the occasional celebrity cameo, when 300 coeds think you're god.

PorkSoda

We have everything recruits are looking for. The reason people are double taking is bc we are not able to translate that into recruits.

Not able to tranlate into recruits? Last I checked we have a top 15 class so far and are on a few more 4 stars to finish it off.  We have a staff that was built around recruiting and it is obviously paying off.  Nutt didn't have a class this good coming off a 10 win season.  BP is pulling in an excellent class during 4-5 win season.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

gohawgsgo

Quote from: thehill1414 on August 17, 2008, 05:02:35 pm
Just to add on to this last post...

Olu was the #4 ranked player in the nation out of hs
Al Jefferson was definitely a McD AA

Heath signed Olu.

Hogjammin

If NWA isn't cool why does it seem like all of our athletes continue to live here after college?

PennHOG

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 10, 2008, 01:35:02 pm
Not quite but is in the makings, look for the second one in about 2010...just like phone numbers they are running out of bandwith (space).

http://www.internet2.edu/

Beat me to it.  Internet2 is currently being used in many universities and large companies.  I learned about it in my master's work.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Swine & Cheese Club

The majority of these kids are looking for a place that can make them better athletes, give them national exposure and give them a chance at getting to the next level.  They aren't so worried about what they are going to do on Saturday nights as what they are going to do on Saturday afternoon.  We have everything they need to do this and more.  What recruits comment on so often is the state-of-the-art 100 yard weight room, practice facilities, arenas and stadium, and the unbelievable support of our fanbase.

We definitely could use more places in Fayetteville geared toward the younger crowd that doesn't revolve around drinking.  I would love to see a Dave and Buster's type place.  You can still drink if you want but there is so much more to do there that it doesn't require you to drink to have a good time.  An ESPNZone would be great too.

AAO (Arkansas Athletes Outreach) offers a great facility for the athletes to hang out, play basketball, watch movies, and play video games.  They also get the athletes involved in community work that helps build character and teaches them the rewards of being role models.  I applaud their efforts in Arkansas.

EastMemphisHog

HawgnCorona

Quote from: PennHOG on November 10, 2008, 02:17:33 pm
Beat me to it.  Internet2 is currently being used in many universities and large companies.  I learned about it in my master's work.

Right on...I glad to hear that. Best of wishes in finishing your masters it will serve you well.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

PennHOG

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 10, 2008, 11:25:48 pm
Right on...I glad to hear that. Best of wishes in finishing your masters it will serve you well.

I finished it a couple of years ago.  It's only served me by helping get 4 or 5 adjunct teaching jobs at night.  But now I don't teach because I'm totally immersed in being a Cub Scout leader.

I guess it helped me some with my current job being a project technical lead.  I sure didn't get a raise.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!