Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tide football arrests: Geno Smith, Johathan Taylor, Tyren Jones

Started by jbcarol, March 29, 2015, 06:40:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Alabama practice report: Geno Smith not practicing, remains in jail

QuoteSenior free safety Geno Smith was not practicing following his DUI arrest early Saturday morning. Smith remains in jail as of early Saturday afternoon, according to a Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office spokesman. Senior Jabriel Washington was working with the first-team defense at free safety in place of Smith.

★ Geno Smith ™ ★ @_ALLWORLD24

I apologize to the University of Alabama , the football program and all the Alabama fans. I have made an awful decision on my part.
9:15 PM - 28 Mar 2015
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Alabama defensive tackle Jonathan Taylor arrested on domestic violence charges

QuoteAlabama defensive tackle Jonathan Taylor was arrested Saturday night and charged with domestic violence third degree assault and domestic violence third degree criminal mischief, according to the Tuscaloosa Police Department.

The incident occurred around 6 p.m. Saturday, according to the incident report.

The 24-year old female victim had minor injuries to her neck, according to the report. Police also found a bedroom closet door with a hole punched in it.

The 6-foot-4, 335-pound Taylor, who has a history of domestic violence issues, joined Alabama in January after spending last season at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Mississippi.

Taylor was dismissed by Georgia last July after being arrested and charged with felony aggravated assault and family violence following an incident during which he reportedly choked and struck his then-girlfriend with a closed fist.

Taylor was also one of four Georgia players arrested last March for theft by deception after they were caught double-cashing meal reimbursement checks.

"We recruited this young man out of high school," Alabama coach Nick Saban said in February. "We felt that what we knew about him, what his high school coaches said about him, from what people at the school he was at said about him and where he came from in junior college that he was the kind of guy that deserved a second chance.

"But with that chance we also have stipulations and things that he needs to do from a personal-development standpoint so that he won't make any kind of mistake like this again. That's an on-going process with him. That's something that we continue to monitor, and it's something he's done a very good job with."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  8h 8 hours ago

Alabama football has had better weeks with the Smith DUI and Taylor arrest on domestic violence charges. Both had past issues, too.

I'm all for second chances, but the wrong message is being sent when guys with a domestic violence past are getting those chances.

jbcarol

Matt Zenitz @mzenitz  ·  3h 3 hours ago
Alabama dismisses defensive tackle Jonathan Taylor (updated with a statement from Tide AD Bill Battle) http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/03/alabama_dismisses_defensive_ta.html ...

QuoteAlabama has dismissed defensive tackle Jonathan Taylor from the team following his arrest on domestic violence charges Saturday night.

The 6-foot-4, 335-pound Taylor, who has a history of domestic violence issues, was charged with domestic violence third-degree assault and domestic violence third-degree criminal mischief, according to the Tuscaloosa Police Department.

"This will still need to go through the legal process," coach Nick Saban said in a statement. "But when he was given an opportunity here, it was under strict guidelines, and we made it clear there was a zero tolerance policy."

Taylor joined Alabama in January after spending last season at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Mississippi.

Taylor was dismissed by Georgia last July after being arrested and charged with felony aggravated assault and family violence following an incident during which he reportedly choked and struck his then-girlfriend with a closed fist.

Taylor was also one of four Georgia players arrested last March for theft by deception after they were reportedly caught double-cashing meal reimbursement checks.

"Representing this University is a privilege that none of us can take for granted," Tide athletic director Bill Battle said in a statement. "As I noted in my comments when the decision was made to allow Jonathan Taylor to attend the University on a football scholarship, I believe in second chances. I still do. However, being successful in that second chance requires responsibility and accountability. In Jonathan's situation, the University and the Department of Athletics set forth very clear standards of accountability and expectations of conduct.

"Jonathan was afforded a chance to successfully overcome the difficulties that resulted in his departure from the University of Georgia. Unfortunately, it appears that he was unable to do so, in spite of extensive efforts to assist him. All of us hope that Jonathan and the young lady involved can deal constructively with the issues that led to this situation, and their aftermath, so that both of them can have productive, healthy futures.

"Violent conduct by any representative of the University of Alabama athletics department will not be tolerated. More than ever, we take seriously the responsibility that all of us have to represent our University and our state in the best way possible - in competition and in daily life."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on March 29, 2015, 06:43:56 am
Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  8h 8 hours ago

Alabama football has had better weeks with the Smith DUI and Taylor arrest on domestic violence charges. Both had past issues, too.

I'm all for second chances, but the wrong message is being sent when guys with a domestic violence past are getting those chances.

With ANY violent past. Some of these guys don't realize that playing sports at any level is a privilege and not a right to be abused without consequences.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  Mar 29

Schlabach: Alabama's Jonathan Taylor gamble backfires badly http://es.pn/1NrIXNg

QuoteWhen defensive lineman Jonathan Taylor enrolled at Alabama in January, Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said he was the "kind of guy that deserved a second chance."

Alabama athletic director Bill Battle said: "Our coaches and I feel he is worthy of a second chance at completing his college football career."

After Taylor was arrested on domestic violence charges Saturday night, Alabama now has egg on its face.

When Taylor was admitted to Alabama, Saban, Battle and the university's administration were fully aware that he was a two-time loser at Georgia before Bulldogs coach Mark Richt kicked him off the team. Taylor was arrested twice in five months last year for allegedly double-cashing meal-reimbursement checks from the UGA athletics department, and then, worse, allegedly choking and striking his girlfriend with a closed fist during an altercation in his dorm room.

Now, Taylor is a three-time loser. He was arrested in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, on Saturday night on charges of domestic violence third-degree assault and domestic violence third-degree criminal mischief following an altercation with his girlfriend. According to Tuscaloosa police, Taylor's 24-year-old girlfriend had minor injuries to her neck. Police also found a bedroom closet door with a hole punched in it.

On Sunday afternoon, Saban issued a statement, saying "Jonathan Taylor has been dismissed from the team and is no longer a part of our program. This will still need to go through the legal process, but when he was given an opportunity here, it was under strict guidelines and we made it clear there was a zero tolerance policy."

Alabama gave Taylor a "second chance." Taylor needed all of 80 days on campus to blow it. Never mind that Taylor should have never been on Alabama's campus to begin with...

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  50m 50 minutes ago

This whole Jonathan Taylor-Alabama saga just gets more bizarre by the day with the victim now recanting her story.

Stephanie Taylor @TNews_Steph  ·  1h 1 hour ago

Here's a press release about a woman who recanted allegations against former UA player Jonathan Taylor.

Dropkick

JansterZ71

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on March 30, 2015, 07:08:49 am
Wanna bet he winds up at awbern?  8)
Yea.  How much money?  Link your PayPal and lets do this. You obviously don't follow big boy recruiting.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Jonathan Taylor's lawyer hopes client is reinstated to Alabama football team after accuser recants. http://ow.ly/L6F2r

QuoteWith a court date looming in Georgia, these are complicated times for Jonathan Taylor's legal matters.

Set to be arraigned Tuesday in Athens, Ga., on felony charges dating back to 2014 a domestic violence arrest, the former Alabama football player's Tuscaloosa case took a turn Wednesday. Three days after being dismissed from the Crimson Tide football team, his accuser on a separate domestic violence case recanted her story.

It was Taylor's arrest Saturday that led to Nick Saban's swift decision to remove him from the roster. But Taylor's attorney in the Georgia case said reinstatement to the Alabama program should be considered.

"I certainly would hope so," Athens attorney Kim Stephens told AL.com on Wednesday evening. "My thought, from an outside perspective, in light of all the backlash, that coach Saban and university took as a result of the false accusations that were made and the removal from the team, I think it would be hard for him to take (Taylor) back on the team in spite of the recantation.

"But I think fairness would dictate that they'd reconsider and at least talk to the accuser or former accuser in the case, then make a decision based on that."

A spokesman for Alabama's football team said Wednesday morning he was unsure if reinstatement was possible in light of the news.

Taylor's 24-year old girlfriend had marks on her neck from Saturday's alleged incident, according to the police report. But she changed her story Monday and was arrested Tuesday for filing a false report. The misdemeanor domestic violence charges have not been dropped and the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit will continue the investigation.

The recantation of accusations should help Taylor in the short term in the Georgia case. Stephens said before the Tuscaloosa accuser changed her story, there was a possibility the state could have revoked his bond and sent him to jail pending trial. It's still in the realm of possibilities, but less likely in light of Wednesday's news.

"Obviously (Taylor's) concerned," Stephens said. "He's upset as anyone would be when they've been accused of doing something they didn't do and the ramifications in light of his circumstances are huge. Not only has he been removed from the football team, he could be expelled from college, which would compromise his future. He could be prohibited from pursuing a professional career if he's good enough to do that."

Back in Georgia, the felony aggravated assault and domestic violence case also remains. Prosecutors could use the Tuscaloosa case as evidence in the initial trial, so the outcome is crucial. Taylor will enter a not-guilty plea at Tuesday's arraignment. 

"I would hope that we could get something worked out," Stephens said. "But if we can't and it goes all the way to a trial, it could take anywhere from nine months to 18 months before it ever reached that point."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Saban knew before his Monday press conference when he announced Taylor's dismissal that the accuser had recanted her story.

Uncle SI

Should be making the news soon. This is the kids second offense for a drug charge. Wondering if what its going to take for Saban to get these kids undercontrol.
First time, long time, great topic, love the show.

jbcarol

Quote from: Uncle SI on April 07, 2015, 11:13:43 am
Should be making the news soon. This is the kids second offense for a drug charge. Wondering if what its going to take for Saban to get these kids undercontrol.

ldfergu

Sad part is is that it doesn't matter. They'll keep going along winning 10+ games a year

LZH

He's averaging about 12 wins per season....I'd say they're under control.

Uncle SI

Let me make a correction. The kid recently left Alabama and is no longer on the team. 

ricepig

Uncle SI

Not Tyren Jones. Yet another drug arrest but again, this guy was NOT on the Bama team when he was recently arrested.

Wildhog

Surprise.  He was driving a Dodge Challenger.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 07, 2015, 11:22:31 am

Yep, thinking about buying some Fiat-Chrysler stock, looks like they move several of them in Bama.

RazorPiggie

HappyHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on April 07, 2015, 11:22:31 am

What's that got to do with anything?

And furthermore. It just isn't very smart criticizing a rival program for having player arrested, when you KNOW that Arkansas will have players arrested at some point. It's inevitable. Even the military ends up having 18-22 year olds arrested on a fairly regular basis, and I don't think anyone would argue that they are lacking in the discipline department.

ricepig

Quote from: HappyHogFan on April 07, 2015, 02:03:48 pm

And furthermore. It just isn't very smart criticizing a rival program for having player arrested, when you KNOW that Arkansas will have players arrested at some point. It's inevitable. Even the military ends up having 18-22 year olds arrested on a fairly regular basis, and I don't think anyone would argue that they are lacking in the discipline department.

We had 1 arrested, so we understand that aspect. As far as Dodge Charger/Challengers, do a little research.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  2m 2 minutes ago

Marcell Dareus fined $300 in street-racing case plea deal | http://AL.com  http://ow.ly/LjnGj

Vantage 8 dude

Well to paraphrase an oldie but goodie from one of our past HC's: They keep screwing up so fast it just keeps messing us up. Dang, when I saw the headline of this thread I initially thought "Oh well, just another update to an old news story". Obviously that reaction was WRONG!! At this rate Saban and the UA need to seriously explore a corporate (or school) discount/"hospitality" rate for the costs of the local pokie's accommodating all the player's stays behind bars.

Vantage 8 dude

WHile no program is going to go forever without some kid screwing up one way or another. However, when there's been an almost DAILY addition to the blotter over the past several weeks there's nothing unusual or wrong with pointing out the obvious. The whole point is: if you don't want your school's name splashed all over the newspapers/internet then do everything in your power to ensure that you not only seriously punish the offender and in a tough enough manner that other potential offenders will get a clear message of what awaits them if THEY screw up. Between the number of drug related offenses, DUIs offenses and other problems (including signing a recent UGA player accused of violence against a female) apparently whatever ole Nick is supposedly telling his team about off the field problems isn't either being heard and/or believed. Sorry if all that offends your delicate sense of propriety or justice; however, if the truth hurts just don't read about it.

Paul

Poor analogy.  The military takes many more than 25 a year.  I think the percentage of military enlistees that get arrested is miniscule.  Furthermore, they don't     get 2nd or 3rd chances. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Paul on April 07, 2015, 03:06:18 pm
  Poor analogy.  The military takes many more than 25 a year.  I think the percentage of military enlistees that get arrested is miniscule.  Furthermore, they don't     get 2nd or 3rd chances.
Some good points. Plus, if a kid in the military continues to screw up he's likely either going to be in the stockage or GONE from the service.

ChemEHawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 07, 2015, 03:34:24 pm
Some good points. Plus, if a kid in the military continues to screw up he's likely either going to be in the stockage or GONE from the service.

I saw the "motivational platoon" aboard Camp Pendleton while I was stationed there as part of the ITB. Lemme tell ya, there isn't anyone on this Earth who wouldn't be motivated to straighten up and get their head wired right after a few weeks there. Those boys were in a whole world of hurt physically (breaking rocks all day in that sun coupled with sleep deprivation) and psychologically (guards were HUGE drill instructors with very few rules). It surprised me and I thought I had seen just about everything in the Corps. IMO, our society could use one in every county. God bless the Marines.
Thanks for all the info.  Will probably stick to one of the places close to the hotel so that if I have a few too many I can stagger back.  Nothing better than your kids seeing you drunk.  I don't look at it as a bad example but rather a cautionary tale.<br /><br />-Dwight_K_Shrute<br /><br />I can't wait to have kids...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ChemEHawg on April 07, 2015, 04:32:38 pm
I saw the "motivational platoon" aboard Camp Pendleton while I was stationed there as part of the ITB. Lemme tell ya, there isn't anyone on this Earth who wouldn't be motivated to straighten up and get their head wired right after a few weeks there. Those boys were in a whole world of hurt physically (breaking rocks all day in that sun coupled with sleep deprivation) and psychologically (guards were HUGE drill instructors with very few rules). It surprised me and I thought I had seen just about everything in the Corps. IMO, our society could use one in every county. God bless the Marines.
Having served in the Air Force I obviously didn't have exactly the same set up as the USMC. However, I can promise you that we had our own ways of (very legally) dealing with any malcontents, screw ups, or men who otherwise either couldn't or wouldn't follow the rules. While we didn't have a "motivational platoon" as such, as a young officer I DID have some very efficient and professional senior NCOs who knew the exact "language", if you know what I mean, to reenforce and point out the issues and behavior not considered professional. Very rarely did I ever have to "reeducate" any offenders who had been through the "school" these guys taught. My father, career military (and "bull" Colonel), drilled into me well before I was commissioned to utilize my experienced NCOs to the max whenever I felt I needed some assistance. He certainly knew what a he was talking about!!

HogPound

Quote from: ricepig on April 07, 2015, 02:07:36 pm
We had 1 arrested, so we understand that aspect. As far as Dodge Charger/Challengers, do a little research.

You can get one of those cars dirt cheap used. Not impressive.

Dirty

Saban is telling the cops which one to bust so he can increase is offer list!

Ragnar Hogbrok

April 07, 2015, 06:16:10 pm #35 Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:39:49 pm by The Chief

I would argue just that.  You must have never been a leader of privates in the Army.  They'll make your hair turn grey. 

EDIT:  Let me add this meme below.  Anyone who has been in the military can appreciate the god-awful truth within.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

longpig

Bama booster owns a Chysler dealership, Dodge Charger is the official car of Crimson Tide football.
Don't be scared, be smart.

RAD

While I was attending the UofA, many athletes were driving brand new cars/SUVs that they sure as hell could never afford. I had a few friends that were roommates of the well-known athletes, and they told me how it worked.

It's technically legal, and I would think it happens at most schools.

jbcarol

AP Top 25 @AP_Top25  ·  17h 17 hours ago

Former Alabama and Georgia DT Jonathan Taylor pleads not guilty plea to assault and battery http://apne.ws/1GIaXMr  (@georgehenryAP)

QuoteTaylor, 21, entered a not guilty plea during an arraignment Tuesday in Athens-Clarke County Superior Court on felony assault and misdemeanor battery charges. Police said he choked and hit his girlfriend with a closed fist in a Georgia dorm room last summer.

Judge Patrick Haggard told Taylor and attorney Kim Stephens that a status conference is scheduled June 30 with District Attorney Ken Mauldin.

All of this has left the 6-foot-4, 335-pound Taylor without a football home.

He was kicked off Georgia's football team last July. After signing with Alabama in January, Taylor was dismissed by the Crimson Tide following his arrest 10 days ago in Tuscaloosa, after which the woman who brought the charges said she made the whole thing up.

Stephens said his client has been in touch with a few college programs in hopes of getting an opportunity to continue his football career, but would not disclose the schools' names...

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on April 08, 2015, 07:14:45 am
AP Top 25 @AP_Top25  ·  17h 17 hours ago

Former Alabama and Georgia DT Jonathan Taylor pleads not guilty plea to assault and battery http://apne.ws/1GIaXMr  (@georgehenryAP)

No school is going to waste a scholarship on this clown.

He has thrown a potential NFL career into the trash......... 8)

ricepig

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on April 08, 2015, 12:10:59 pm
No school is going to waste a scholarship on this clown.

He has thrown a potential NFL career into the trash......... 8)

Don't count out Awbarn....

jbcarol

CoachingSearch.com @coachingsearch  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Mark Richt: When you kick a player off the team, you feel like you failed. http://bit.ly/1atjFBL

QuoteSteve Spurrier once remarked that Georgia always had two or three players suspended when the Gamecocks and Bulldogs would open the season against each other. But that can also be viewed as Richt being unafraid to discipline players.

Former Georgia defensive tackle Jonathan Taylor was kicked off the team last July and signed with Alabama in January. But he's been arrested three times since March 2014 and was kicked off the Crimson Tide after his latest. Without speaking on specific instances, Finebaum asked Richt his view on disciplining players.

"We love all these guys. We recruited them, they chose Georgia, so we have an obligation to help them become the best football player and person they can be to get educated and help them be prepared for life," Richt said. "But if you're a part of an organization, you have to stay within a certain parameter of how we go about our business. If you stray off the path, we've got to get you back on the path. Obviously, I'd rather do that with guys within the program, but if certain things are detrimental to the campus or to the team, sometimes, a guy has to move on.

"It's not a happy time. It's a sad time. We feel like we failed in some way, shape or form. Sometimes, it's the thing that will help a guy get his life turned around, as well. The goal is to have a certain set of rules you believe in and get everybody going in the same direction. If a guy gets too far off the path and needs a new place for a home, then that's what we'll do. It's not a situation where we just don't care about that person anymore. It's a situation where you have to get everybody understanding there's a certain way we're going to do things."

NoNC4Tubs

jbcarol

Coach Saban talks 'younger generation that doesn't always get told no'

Quote"They all think they have this illusion of choice," Saban said. "Like I can do whatever I want to do. And you kind of have a younger generation now that doesn't always get told no, they don't always get told this is exactly how you need to do it. So they have this illusion that they have all these choices."

"But the fact of the matter is, if you want to be good, you really don't have a lot of choices," Saban said. "Because it takes what it takes. You have to do what you have to do to be successful. So you have to make choices and decisions to have the discipline and focus to the process of what you need to do to accomplish your goals.

"And all these guys that think they have a lot of choices are really sadly mistaken. And I think, as we all have done with our own children, they learn these lessons of life as they get older, and sometimes the best way to learn is from the mistakes that you make, even though we all hate to see them have to make them. And we don't really condone them when they do."