Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's talk about knives

Started by ChromDome35, March 25, 2015, 10:27:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChromDome35

1)  What kind of knife do you carry when you are deer hunting? 
2)  Do you use several different knives for dressing out a deer or do you just use one?
3)  If you are just out in the woods and not hunting, what do you carry?
4)  How do you keep your knives sharp?

My answers

1)  I carry an old Buck folding knife that I've had for 40 years
2)  I use the Buck for everything when I'm dressing out a deer
3)  I carry a 5 1/2" Ka-bar fixed blade in a leather sheath on my belt when I'm out in the woods.  I'll also usually have a small folding knife clipped into my back pocket and a Leatherman Wave on my belt.
4)  I have a lot of various stones and a lansky sharpening system but my prefered method to sharpen these days is on a Tormek water stone system.

Flying Razorback

My family has ties to Mr. Bob Dozier of Dozier Knives out of Northwest Arkansas.  Since I was a child I was fascinated with the top quality hand made knives that he made in his shop.  He told me when I was young that a sharp knife was one of the most important tools you can ever have.  So I've always carried Dozier knives and have a nice collection.  Obviously it's like buying expensive or collector guns so it's not for everyone.

Anyway I carry a small folder on my hip every day of the year.  2 and 3/4" folding hunter by Dozier Knives with Wooly Mammoth ivory scales.

For deer hunting I carry a skinner knife with a fuller belly and a small sharp pointed knife for the fine tasks while skinning and taking the internals out.

I use a DMT diamond stone for sharpening my knives.  I put WD-40 on it for the lubricant.  When I clean the knives I use grape seed oil out of the kitchen.  I have a small pocket rod field sharpener that I keep in my back pack when I'm out or on a deployment to hone the blade of my knives.
http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-field-sharpener/p/AG3750/

Knives are great.  I think everyone should always have one in their pocket or on their hip.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Flying Razorback

ChromDome35

Flying Razorback

Quote from: ChromDome35 on March 25, 2015, 12:23:19 pm
Beautiful Knife

Have you used a diamond stone?  I'm wondering if I should get one of the blade guides to help control the angle while sharpening.  I just wonder how much better it would be sharpening with a guide rather than my normal method of winging an approximate angle.

Flying Razorback

I also like the "Arkansas Made" on Dozier knives, ha.  I know that's hokie to some, but I am proud of my home state.

ChromDome35

I am a firm believer in using angle guides...its really the only way to get consistent results especially if you are trying to get a specific angle on the blade.

For my skinning knife I sharpen it to a 30 degree bevel ie, 15 degrees on each side.  For my Ka-Bar and any other general purpose outdoor knife, I usually go for a 40-50 degree bevel.

Flying Razorback

I aim for about a 30  degree on all my knives since most have a hollow ground profile. 

Do you have an angle guide that you prefer?  DMT makes one that I've looked at but I know there are several other systems that have good reviews.

ChromDome35

The Tormek sharpening system I use these days has all that built into it...but it is a pricey solution.

The Lansky sharpener set comes with angle guides, thats what I used to use.

ChromDome35

If you know Mr. Dozier...find out what he recommends and do that. 

Flying Razorback

Quote from: ChromDome35 on March 25, 2015, 01:48:03 pm
If you know Mr. Dozier...find out what he recommends and do that. 

I use DMT sharpeners because that's what he recommended as a stone.  His step-son, Dan Crotts, uses the DMT guide when he recommends.  But I like to get multiple opinions.

I've handed my knives to Mr. Dozier in the shop and watched him fire up a grinder and get a perfect edge just by using his eye.  It's impressive what making knives for 50 years or so can do for you.

He's a big fan of using a strop for tuning and maintaing an edge.  I still haven't done that but it's something I should pick up.

I'll look at the Tormek too though.  A sharp knife is one of the most beautiful things.

ChromDome35

Quote from: Flying Razorback on March 25, 2015, 02:20:51 pm

I use DMT sharpeners because that's what he recommended as a stone.  His step-son, Dan Crotts, uses the DMT guide when he recommends.  But I like to get multiple opinions.

I've handed my knives to Mr. Dozier in the shop and watched him fire up a grinder and get a perfect edge just by using his eye.  It's impressive what making knives for 50 years or so can do for you.

He's a big fan of using a strop for tuning and maintaing an edge.  I still haven't done that but it's something I should pick up.

I'll look at the Tormek too though.  A sharp knife is one of the most beautiful things.
The Tormek has a leather stropping wheel that you use after you use the stone.

hogbud

I don't hunt but the BUBBA BLADE is excellent for cleaning fish

kodiakisland

I have several Doziers and several other Loveless designs.  A good, sharp knife with a blade 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches will do anything you need it to.  I've never needed anything bigger, even on moose, except when cutting round steaks and a band saw is best for that.  I use a Lansky until both sides of the blade easily shaves hair.  A good blade this sharp will completely process several deer before needing touched up.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Flying Razorback

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 25, 2015, 10:23:48 pm
I have several Doziers and several other Loveless designs.  A good, sharp knife with a blade 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches will do anything you need it to.  I've never needed anything bigger, even on moose, except when cutting round steaks and a band saw is best for that.  I use a Lansky until both sides of the blade easily shaves hair.  A good blade this sharp will completely process several deer before needing touched up.

Yeah my primary Dozier skinner is 4" with a nice wide belly and razor sharp blade.  I use a Dozier bird and trout for the small work if I don't mind taking the extra time to get out a second knife/clean a second knife.  But just my one knife will do the entire job.  But my 2 3/4" folder and some of my 3" straight blades get me through 99% of life just fine.

longtimeHogfan

I don't  hunt anymore  but  I  carry a Kissing  Cranes folder that's  40 - years old.  And I  keep it sharp with  a diamond stone kit from Russell Knives in Northwest  Arkansas.  15 degrees works for  me.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

DeltaBoy

A 1980's OT Golden Spike and a 3 blade stockman OT8
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rzbakfromwaybak

I don't have any real expensive knives, just decent ones that work well for me.

Have some Buck, Gerber & Kershaw.  Kershaw is my favorite, have both fixed & folding in all of the brands.  Prefer 3 1/2 inch fixed blade for deer/big game.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 27, 2015, 12:22:03 am
I don't have any real expensive knives, just decent ones that work well for me.

Have some Buck, Gerber & Kershaw.  Kershaw is my favorite, have both fixed & folding in all of the brands.  Prefer 3 1/2 inch fixed blade for deer/big game.

I carry folders because they're more inconspicuous.  But there's not much that can beat a good fixed blade.  Especially when taking apart a deer.  3.5" is a great size.

It seems like everyone here has been reasonable on size of knife so far.  I always laughed at people that wanted to use a 6" blade or something for skinning a deer.  Unless you're butchering elk to get out of deep country, you probably don't need much more blade than the length of your index finger.

lahawg1

I have a Sunfish Damascus knife. It holds an edge really well and does everything I ask of it. I don't try to cut bones, only flesh with it.

http://www.sunfishforge.com/

Flying Razorback

Quote from: lahawg1 on March 28, 2015, 11:31:04 am
I have a Sunfish Damascus knife. It holds an edge really well and does everything I ask of it. I don't try to cut bones, only flesh with it.

Now that's a beautiful knife.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: lahawg1 on March 28, 2015, 11:31:04 am

Is that an ironwood handle?

lahawg1

Quote from: Flying Razorback on March 28, 2015, 11:53:35 am

Is that an ironwood handle?

I really don't know, I was thinking it was a walnut. And thank you, it is not only a great looking knife it works too. I have no shelf queens and everything is expected to earn it's keep around here.

For an Arkansas connection the scabbard was made by Rowe's Leather in Hope, Ark.

DeWayne R

http://www.rheaknives.com/index.html meet him at the old Arkansas Territorial Restoration displaying his talents.
When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

Flying Razorback

Quote from: DeWayne R on March 28, 2015, 03:10:26 pm
http://www.rheaknives.com/index.html meet him at the old Arkansas Territorial Restoration displaying his talents.

Those are cool.  I wish I was talented at something like that.  I admire that type of creativity and skill.

Wayne Watson

I carry a Case Trappers knife from skinning a coon to skinning a deer.  Stroke it a few times on the steel and she's good to go.

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Hammibal Lecter

If you wanna take a look at some world class knives (with world class price) checkout knifeart.com. High end stuff right there and waaaay outta my range
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

Ugly Uncle

I've been thinking about making my own knives out of files and/or lawn mower blades.  I've read and watched videos, no I just need the tools to do it.

I would like to make my handles of deer antlers...but, I didn't get a deer this year so I'm waiting.  My try that walnut though.  That was beautiful.
Retired Radio Host

DeltaBoy

Pretty knives.  And a Case Trapper will do about anything you need hunting.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

lahawg1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 30, 2015, 12:57:09 pm
Pretty knives.  And a Case Trapper will do about anything you need hunting.

I still have scares on two fingers where an Uncle Henry trapper closed up on me, damn thing was sharp too.....

Wayne Watson

Quote from: lahawg1 on March 30, 2015, 03:45:20 pm
I still have scares on two fingers where an Uncle Henry trapper closed up on me, damn thing was sharp too.....

Uncle Henry makes a good knife too.  I'm not into a big knives.  I just need one to be a good dependable tool.  Been carrying a Case or Uncle Henry since I was 5 years old.

After our school integrated, my knife was taken away from me at school one day.  I had to borrow my dad's knife that evening to cut the strings off the hay bales while feeding cows.  I will never forget the phone call my dad made to the superintendent that night.  Daddy told him to give me my knife back because, in my dad's words, "you don't want me to come after that knife".  I got it back the next day.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

lahawg1

Quote from: Wayne Watson on March 30, 2015, 05:59:35 pm
Uncle Henry makes a good knife too.  I'm not into a big knives.  I just need one to be a good dependable tool.  Been carrying a Case or Uncle Henry since I was 5 years old.

After our school integrated, my knife was taken away from me at school one day.  I had to borrow my dad's knife that evening to cut the strings off the hay bales while feeding cows.  I will never forget the phone call my dad made to the superintendent that night.  Daddy told him to give me my knife back because, in my dad's words, "you don't want me to come after that knife".  I got it back the next day.

My normal everyday carry knife is a Case Stockman in Damascus. I've had it about 10 years, one of the short blades has the tip broke off, and I wouldn't trade it for any other knife out there.

I've always carried the "Stockman" size knife and have never lost a knife in my life. I've misplaced a few for a length of time but always found them later.

The first knife I ever owned came from my Grandfather when I was 8 (1969). My Grandfather lived all his life in Randall Arkansas and bought Prince Albert by the carton of 12 tin cans. For a few of those wrappers inside those cans plus shipping you could get a small 3 blade Old Timer knife and he got all his grandsons one for their 8th birthday. I still have mine and am the only one that does.

DeltaBoy

I planted more knives than I care to remember.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 31, 2015, 09:23:23 am
I planted more knives than I care to remember.

And I haven't found one with a good germination.

HogBreath

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 31, 2015, 09:49:18 am
And I haven't found one with a good germination.
What the heck do the dad blamed Germans have to do with this?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HogBreath on March 31, 2015, 11:22:52 pm
What the heck do the dad blamed Germans have to do with this?

LOL  I planted many but never had a knife Tree  sprout up.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 01, 2015, 09:18:45 am
LOL  I planted many but never had a knife Tree  sprout up.

When I was at survival school I was up in the mountains in February and the snow was at least hip deep nearly everywhere.  We were on snow shoes.  They had us tie everything to ourselves so we wouldn't drop and lose something.  Sure enough, a kid in my element lets go of his knife and it went straight down in to the snow to never be seen again.  You couldn't event tell where it had gone in.  Scratching around looking for it only made it worse.  Our guide just said "I told you so".

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Flying Razorback on March 25, 2015, 11:45:33 am
My family has ties to Mr. Bob Dozier of Dozier Knives out of Northwest Arkansas.  Since I was a child I was fascinated with the top quality hand made knives that he made in his shop.  He told me when I was young that a sharp knife was one of the most important tools you can ever have.  So I've always carried Dozier knives and have a nice collection.  Obviously it's like buying expensive or collector guns so it's not for everyone.

Anyway I carry a small folder on my hip every day of the year.  2 and 3/4" folding hunter by Dozier Knives with Wooly Mammoth ivory scales.

For deer hunting I carry a skinner knife with a fuller belly and a small sharp pointed knife for the fine tasks while skinning and taking the internals out.

I use a DMT diamond stone for sharpening my knives.  I put WD-40 on it for the lubricant.  When I clean the knives I use grape seed oil out of the kitchen.  I have a small pocket rod field sharpener that I keep in my back pack when I'm out or on a deployment to hone the blade of my knives.
http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-field-sharpener/p/AG3750/

Knives are great.  I think everyone should always have one in their pocket or on their hip.

where can you buy the folder, with the mammoth handles
tia

1highhog

Lin is my best friend and work partner for over 20 years, we live a so=tones throw from each other.  We've known each other since childhood and every knife he started out making at first I think I had as much time in it, especially his knives he used to pass his Journeyman and Mastersmith tests.  His work and be seen in the Historic Arkansas Museum in downtown Little Rock along with Jerry Fisk, who's been deemed a National living treasure, Jerry took Lin under his wing early on and they became great friends early on. 

Lin has since won many awards with his knives and even won the World Championship when they used to have only the makers themselves enter, this included chopping a yellow pine 2x4 in half the quickest, seeing how many 1" twisted hemp ropes you could slice through in one swing, this was usually 5 or 6, stabbing a ping pong ball sitting on a single pane of glass without the tip hitting the glass and breaking it, (it's a lot harder than it sounds), seeing how many bottles of water you could cleanly cut through with one swing, Lin cut through 17 I think, and then the final event would be the paper cut which would be having a piece of paper free in the air and slicing freely through it, all of these events plus more I forgot were all done one right after the other, toughest ones on your blade being the first, you never touched your blade to resharpen.  When you cut the paper, it had to look just like the outside edge of the paper, no tearing, or you were disqualified.  It was a neat competition. 

Lin has usually a 2 plus year waiting list on his knives, but each year in February all the knife makers have and event here in Little Rock showcasing their knives, most of his are already sold within the first hour, but the buyers usually leave them on the table so Lin can have something to show people his work, this is the same for most knife makers as well.

I have a couple of his knives that I carry hunting, but actually the one I skin with is a Gerber with a 3" blade, it's been with me over 11 years now and has skinned out more deer than I can remember, my wife bought it for me on our Anniversary the same time as she bought me my .308 lever action browning.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 30, 2015, 04:31:58 pm

As one who is definitely NOT a knife expert, I just recently learned how valuable a Gerber is by listening to how useful the multi tool Gerber is to a good number of Army soldiers.  And then I saw one in a PX.  A lot of tool there.

Agree.  I always have a multi-tool at camp.  Mine too, is a Gerber.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

Liking those Mora' s more all the time.

pigture perfect

I have many knives, but the best bladed one is a Cold Steel Twistlock. I've cleaned 5 deer without re sharpening. And could still shave the hair on my arm.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

lahawg1

I've never had much luck out of a stainless blade knife and I've got a bunch of them from several different manufacturers. I just have never found one that would hold an edge comparable to a high carbon steel blade.

The Sunfish I listed above, my old Randall knife, and a couple of old Case XX knives I have are carbon and are wonderful to work with. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent knife, the Old Timer Sharpfinger I have is far superior to most any stainless I've owned.

Edit; it appears you can still buy it in carbon or stainless. Get the carbon model

DeltaBoy

Dads OT Sharp finger is still in great shape after 40 years and 46 Deer.

pigture perfect

Yeah, my Cold Steel is Carbon Steel. Man, it's about time to get em out and sharpen em.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

lahawg1

Well, I had to give my wonderful bride a quarter this morning but she bought me a CaseXX Trapper by Brian Yellowhorse and I like it a bunch.

HogScoutMaster

Being a Scout myself I have a plethora of knives.

My first Case is the Yellow Trapper that has already been displayed in the Thead.

this knife stays on my belt

and this stays on my pocket
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: 1highhog on June 29, 2015, 04:23:17 pm
Lin is my best friend and work partner for over 20 years, we live a so=tones throw from each other.  We've known each other since childhood and every knife he started out making at first I think I had as much time in it, especially his knives he used to pass his Journeyman and Mastersmith tests.  His work and be seen in the Historic Arkansas Museum in downtown Little Rock along with Jerry Fisk, who's been deemed a National living treasure, Jerry took Lin under his wing early on and they became great friends early on. 

Lin has since won many awards with his knives and even won the World Championship when they used to have only the makers themselves enter, this included chopping a yellow pine 2x4 in half the quickest, seeing how many 1" twisted hemp ropes you could slice through in one swing, this was usually 5 or 6, stabbing a ping pong ball sitting on a single pane of glass without the tip hitting the glass and breaking it, (it's a lot harder than it sounds), seeing how many bottles of water you could cleanly cut through with one swing, Lin cut through 17 I think, and then the final event would be the paper cut which would be having a piece of paper free in the air and slicing freely through it, all of these events plus more I forgot were all done one right after the other, toughest ones on your blade being the first, you never touched your blade to resharpen.  When you cut the paper, it had to look just like the outside edge of the paper, no tearing, or you were disqualified.  It was a neat competition. 

Lin has usually a 2 plus year waiting list on his knives, but each year in February all the knife makers have and event here in Little Rock showcasing their knives, most of his are already sold within the first hour, but the buyers usually leave them on the table so Lin can have something to show people his work, this is the same for most knife makers as well.

I have a couple of his knives that I carry hunting, but actually the one I skin with is a Gerber with a 3" blade, it's been with me over 11 years now and has skinned out more deer than I can remember, my wife bought it for me on our Anniversary the same time as she bought me my .308 lever action browning.

Lin Rhea is just an incredible talent and the nicest man that you would ever want to meet.

I shot him and his process for making knives for a Game and Fish TV Show back in 2006 or 2007... I had the very best time working with him and documenting his process.

I need to hit him up and shoot him again with gear I own now! His work is just phenomenal. 🎥😉

DeltaBoy

January 11, 2016, 11:46:00 am #48 Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:03:56 am by DeltaBoy
I got more of those fixed blades I will ever really need but I sure do like to window shop.

Back in the 1980's I got a small game sharpfinger and a woodsman from OT and they done great the past 35 years. 

DeltaBoy

Anybody got an new custom or tried the Taylor Made line of Old Timer Classics.