Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big Sugar?

Started by Marshfieldhog, March 23, 2015, 08:39:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshfieldhog

Is anyone going to buy that course or is it just growing up as a future cow field/hunting grounds? I know there were a few nice homes on the course, bet they were hot.

This was one of my favorite courses. People thought that course was hard, if you choose the right tees it really wasn't. I'm about a 10 handicap and played the 6,100 tees and would usually shoot in the high 70's/low 80's. My brother even had 2 eagles in the same round.

Hole 2 was kinda of stupid, hole 12 was freaking hard. Everything else was fair IMO outside of a couple of weird pin placements. I always thought the course was very peaceful.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 23, 2015, 08:39:28 pm
Is anyone going to buy that course or is it just growing up as a future cow field/hunting grounds? I know there were a few nice homes on the course, bet they were hot.

This was one of my favorite courses. People thought that course was hard, if you choose the right tees it really wasn't. I'm about a 10 handicap and played the 6,100 tees and would usually shoot in the high 70's/low 80's. My brother even had 2 eagles in the same round.

Hole 2 was kinda of stupid, hole 12 was freaking hard. Everything else was fair IMO outside of a couple of weird pin placements. I always thought the course was very peaceful.

I really liked the course. Only played it once. Proud of my bogey on 12.
Go away, batin'

GolfNut57

Where was this course? I had heard of it but don't remember its location.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

cosmodrum

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 23, 2015, 08:52:51 pm
Where was this course? I had heard of it but don't remember its location.

Pea Ridge
Go away, batin'

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 23, 2015, 08:42:47 pm
I really liked the course. Only played it once. Proud of my bogey on 12.

I only pared it once, hit hybrid and another hybrid and hit the green and two putted for par. Felt like a birdie. I usually played for a bogey, hitting the fairway wasn't the issue. 2nd shot was major issue.

twistitup

I thought some guys from Hogville were going to buy it.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

cosmodrum

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 23, 2015, 10:03:05 pm
I only pared it once, hit hybrid and another hybrid and hit the green and two putted for par. Felt like a birdie. I usually played for a bogey, hitting the fairway wasn't the issue. 2nd shot was major issue.

Hybrid-hybrid for me, too. I missed short on the approach, got up and two-putted. There's no where you can miss but short and be safe.
Go away, batin'

mr4pt

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 24, 2015, 02:11:18 pm
Hybrid-hybrid for me, too. I missed short on the approach, got up and two-putted. There's no where you can miss but short and be safe.

Short center, not short right or short left

Once on the green a two putt was not a given

CabotHog87

Quote from: twistitup on March 23, 2015, 10:15:58 pm
I thought some guys from Hogville were going to buy it.

Yeah I thought this was going to be the Grsnd Opening thread

twistitup

Quote from: CabotHog87 on March 25, 2015, 09:18:42 am
Yeah I thought this was going to be the Grsnd Opening thread

I did too...big sugar is a great name. I might just find investors for a private cabaret / gold course

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: mr4pt on March 25, 2015, 07:33:17 am

That had to be one of the hardest par 4's in the state. Was a pretty hole though if you didn't have a temper.

cosmodrum

Quote from: mr4pt on March 25, 2015, 07:33:17 am

Oh yeah. Short in the bottle neck.
Go away, batin'

GolfNut57

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 25, 2015, 09:51:29 pm
That had to be one of the hardest par 4's in the state. Was a pretty hole though if you didn't have a temper.

what was the yardage on that hole?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

mr4pt

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 26, 2015, 04:18:38 am
what was the yardage on that hole?

Not sure but I always wanted to try to cut the corner with the big stick. There was just nowhere to land the ball from that angle besides the small green side bunker.

It was 200 yard layup off the tee, with a small creek to the right. You wanted to get as close to that creek as possible because of the 90* dogleg right got you closer to the hole. The further away you were from the creek the more likely your approach was going to be 200+.  If you hit a good shot it was 170-200 yds to the green, with absolutely nowhere to bail out, steep hillside to the left and said creek running the entire length to the right, the small bunker was the only place to miss. If you ended up above the hole, grab you putter and your wedge cuz you'll be chipping back up after your first putt.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 23, 2015, 08:39:28 pm

Ok, so what was it about #2 that made it "stupid"?  Too easy?  Ridiculous layout? Shades of mini-golf?

Marshfieldhog

Had no issue with the tee shot, I play a fade so that fit me. I thought the 2nd
Shot in was goofy. Pull it left and it's a dry creek. Push it and your on a hillside that might bring your ball back across the green and into the dry creek.
Green was 4 clubs deep, it was up hill. Zero room for error. Just a awkward hole IMO.

HognitiveDissonance

Did it close?

I've played it. Pretty course, lots of wildlife. Saw deer, foxes, skunks.

Like many Ozark courses sometimes the terrain is just too hilly for a great golf course. But it is(was?) a nice place to play.

twistitup

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 29, 2015, 11:48:52 pm
Did it close?

I've played it. Pretty course, lots of wildlife. Saw deer, foxes, skunks.

Like many Ozark courses sometimes the terrain is just too hilly for a great golf course. But it is(was?) a nice place to play.
Closed....but a Hogville investment group is giving it a long look...

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 30, 2015, 05:23:57 am
Closed....but a Hogville investment group is giving it a long look...

Just waiting on the Dinar revaluation...

Boarcephus

Played it once when it first opened and never went back.  Just didn't care for it and plus the fact it was almost an hour drive to get to. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 30, 2015, 08:05:30 am
Played it once when it first opened and never went back.  Just didn't care for it and plus the fact it was almost an hour drive to get to.

So you're saying it was a driver, driver, driver, driver, 3W, 3W, and a PW huh?  :)

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 30, 2015, 08:44:04 am
So you're saying it was a driver, driver, driver, driver, 3W, 3W, and a PW huh?  :)

Into the wind and all uphill!  ;)

Did you ever play a course you just didn't like?  That's exactly how Big Sugar hit me.  Didn't like anything about it from where it was, to the layout, etc.  Did like the range because that was when Mike Dunnaway was behind it and Callaway backed him on some stuff so all the range balls were new Callaways.  We wondered how many balls accidentally found their way into people bags.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 30, 2015, 10:09:35 am

Did you ever play a course you just didn't like?  That's exactly how Big Sugar hit me.  Didn't like anything about it from where it was, to the layout, etc.  Did like the range because that was when Mike Dunnaway was behind it and Callaway backed him on some stuff so all the range balls were new Callaways.  We wondered how many balls accidentally found their way into people bags.

Yeah, not from there, but I never was afraid to pull out a striped ball on a long carry across water, lol.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 30, 2015, 10:09:35 am

Yeah, every time I decide to give the Greens at North Hills another go I am kicking myself by the time I finish the third hole wondering why the frack I came out to that course. Tough course that really irritates the heck out of me.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2015, 07:53:00 am
Just waiting on the Dinar revaluation...

Hopefully Big Sug will still be available next Wednesday.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2015, 11:20:39 am
Yeah, not from there, but I never was afraid to pull out a striped ball on a long carry across water, lol.
When it first opened they didn't have stripes on them. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 30, 2015, 11:29:19 am
Yeah, every time I decide to give the Greens at North Hills another go I am kicking myself by the time I finish the third hole wondering why the frack I came out to that course. Tough course that really irritates the heck out of me.

Is that the course in Sherwood that used to be North Hills CC?

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 30, 2015, 11:49:52 am
Is that the course in Sherwood that used to be North Hills CC?

Yep

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 30, 2015, 11:44:09 am
When it first opened they didn't have stripes on them. 

Not smart, I'd figure they could go dredge the lakes and OB areas to get the one's I borrowed, back.

hogfan98

Today's NWA Business Journal has an article about Big Sugar.  There is a new lessee and they are in the process of cleaning up the course.  The article indicated that there was a lot of work to be done to the course.  But it also said the clubhouse and range are cleaned up and the greens have been scalped and reseeded.  The goal is to have the course playable by June.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogfan98 on March 30, 2015, 04:46:37 pm
Today's NWA Business Journal has an article about Big Sugar.  There is a new lessee and they are in the process of cleaning up the course.  The article indicated that there was a lot of work to be done to the course.  But it also said the clubhouse and range are cleaned up and the greens have been scalped and reseeded.  The goal is to have the course playable by June.

Interesting but it takes a ton of $$$ to run a golf course and I don't think BS will generate that type of cash being where it's located.  You've see the same thing with Prairie Creek, nice layout, just suffers from lack of money for upkeep. 

PEtrader

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 30, 2015, 05:10:33 pm
Interesting but it takes a ton of $$$ to run a golf course and I don't think BS will generate that type of cash being where it's located.  You've see the same thing with Prairie Creek, nice layout, just suffers from lack of money for upkeep.

The fact that there are two nice country clubs in the area that are relatively cheap for the level of play go against it.  I will say that there is a steep drop off in course after the country clubs that big sugar can fill.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Gohogs600

While BS wouldn't get the U of A crowd, I am thinking that if Stonebridge can work in Fayetteville, I wonder if, with the right management, BS could make a similar model work in Benton County?

PEtrader

Quote from: Gohogs600 on March 31, 2015, 07:39:36 pm
While BS wouldn't get the U of A crowd, I am thinking that if Stonebridge can work in Fayetteville, I wonder if, with the right management, BS could make a similar model work in Benton County?

I definitely think so, but they need to get some tourneys going, and really go after the 20-35 crowd.

People forget we have Bella vista with a ton of nice courses that are cheap.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

PEtrader

I mean it is 300 a month for pinnacle under 35.  That is hard to beat,  and a lot of young professionals here have that kind of money.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PEtrader on March 31, 2015, 07:45:28 pm
I mean it is 300 a month for pinnacle under 35.  That is hard to beat,  and a lot of young professionals here have that kind of money.

True but these young professionals will spend $300 a month a helluva lot quicker if they can play Pinnacle, with all the opulence around it, than they will playing BS.   Status my man.  Pinnacle has it, BS doesn't it and never will. 

You mentioned Bella Vista but that course is inundated by the older crowds who have retired there.  Ghogs mentioned Stonebridge but Stonebride is local  and BS is still a long way out in the country.  I still equate BS with Prairie Creek and I think it's throwing good money after bad.

PEtrader

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 31, 2015, 08:37:32 pm
True but these young professionals will spend $300 a month a helluva lot quicker if they can play Pinnacle, with all the opulence around it, than they will playing BS.   Status my man.  Pinnacle has it, BS doesn't it and never will. 

You mentioned Bella Vista but that course is inundated by the older crowds who have retired there.  Ghogs mentioned Stonebridge but Stonebride is local  and BS is still a long way out in the country.  I still equate BS with Prairie Creek and I think it's throwing good money after bad.

No I agree,  And it is why Bs will have a hard time unless it markets right. 
I am 31 and belong to Pinnacle,  but I have a lot of buddies who don't want to make that commitment,  but still want somewhere nice.  They join Lindsey or play PC now.  I am saying there is room between.

However if you play more than twice a month,  young with a few extra dollars,  you are dumb not to join a club.

PEtrader

bV only has old folks in the morning,  ha,  they don't play in the afternoon around 4. 

Gohogs600

March 31, 2015, 09:42:52 pm #38 Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:10:09 pm by Gohogs600
Quote from: Boarcephus on March 31, 2015, 08:37:32 pm

I see how the argument can be made for it being way out, but let's not forget, there are plenty of people that will drive from Bentonville / Rogers to play Stonebridge on weekends. At least I know a lot of friends that will.

As for Pinnacle, I love the course.. The $300 is a fair price, however I don't  belong due to limited tee time availability (too many golf members), a full golf calendar that limits play at peak weekends (lpga, corporate events, member guest over holiday weekend, etc etc), and slow rounds on weekends (by private club standards anyway). Fantastic course in itself though.

PEtrader

Quote from: Gohogs600 on March 31, 2015, 09:42:52 pm
I see how the argument can be made for it being way out, but let's not forget, there are plenty of people that will drive from Bentonville / Rogers to play Stonebridge on weekends. At least I know a lot of friends that will.

As for Pinnacle, I love the course, live here, and have played more rounds there than most anyone over the last few decades. The $300 is a fair price, however I no longer belong due to limited tee time availability (too many golf members), a full golf calendar that limits play at peak weekends (lpga, corporate events, member guest over holiday weekend, etc etc), and slow rounds on weekends (by private club standards anyway). Fantastic course in itself though.

The events on the weekends have been a major pain.  It almost feels like there is a club within a club.  Although I like the staff, I have gotten into it with the Marshall a few times because they are very selective on who they ask to hurry up.  Ie a group of young guys playing a normal pace they will tell to hurry up,  but older members do what ever.   All in all I do enjoy the club though,  but can easily see why people get fed up with it.  I try and play during the week, so it doesn't effect me as much.

Gohogs600

March 31, 2015, 10:03:09 pm #40 Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:12:25 pm by Gohogs600
Quote from: PEtrader on March 31, 2015, 09:49:19 pm
The events on the weekends have been a major pain.  It almost feels like there is a club within a club.  Although I like the staff, I have gotten into it with the Marshall a few times because they are very selective on who they ask to hurry up.  Ie a group of young guys playing a normal pace they will tell to hurry up,  but older members do what ever.   All in all I do enjoy the club though,  but can easily see why people get fed up with it.  I try and play during the week, so it doesn't effect me as much.

That's been a running joke with a few members I know. Hard to be "high end" / "exclusive" when a Marshall is employed to hurry the members along. What I do know is that the old timers are among the fastest out there when it comes to play. Any of the folks that I know that have complained about being told to pick up the pace largely earn it. They need to self police. The old guys are good at it... The younger folks, not so much. Age wise, I fall into the younger bunch, I used to be able to get around there in under 2.5 hours if nobody was in front of me. Thats not possible these days, , so I play elsewhere now, but still play pinnacle a dozen or so times per year.

Boarcephus

April 01, 2015, 06:19:24 am #41 Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:22:59 am by Boarcephus
Quote from: PEtrader on March 31, 2015, 08:43:59 pm
No I agree,  And it is why Bs will have a hard time unless it markets right. 
I am 31 and belong to Pinnacle,  but I have a lot of buddies who don't want to make that commitment,  but still want somewhere nice.  They join Lindsey or play PC now.  I am saying there is room between.

However if you play more than twice a month,  young with a few extra dollars,  you are dumb not to join a club.

If you play at all, a private club is the way to go but as I mentioned earlier, it takes a ton of cash to keep one up.  PV has approx. 400+ members and if you figure a $200 a month average membership fee, that's $80,000 a month, almost a $1 million a year in cash coming in.   I'd love to know what PC draws in on an annual basis but I still don't think there's enough left over to support another club like BS. 

One thing I love about PV is I live a mile from the course and play a ton of 5, 13, 18 hole rounds after work.   You can start on 1, 6, 10 or you can cut over from 7 to 12, 8 to 11, 13 to 17 if it's getting late or if it's too crowded.  Plus, when there is a tournament you can slip up to LS or any one of a half dozen Lindsey executive courses in the area and play for nothing.

hogfan98

Quote from: PEtrader on March 31, 2015, 09:49:19 pm

Come on down to Blessings.  No marshall.  Minimal events taking place.  And a busy day is having 30 people on the course at once.  That's if it's 75 and sunny.

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on March 30, 2015, 11:31:44 am
Hopefully Big Sug will still be available next Wednesday.
It's a done deal!  Financing approved!  All systems go!

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogfan98 on April 01, 2015, 08:35:43 am
Come on down to Blessings.  No marshall.  Minimal events taking place.  And a busy day is having 30 people on the course at once.  That's if it's 75 and sunny.

How hard is it to get on that course?  Pretty exclusive isn't it?  Not quite Agusta National tough but difficult none the less is what I've heard

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Gohogs600 on March 31, 2015, 07:39:36 pm

Stonebridge is a good golf course, and not a cow pasture trying to be a quirky golf course like Big Sugar

vol_in_ar

Quote from: hogfan98 on April 01, 2015, 08:35:43 am
and bring a lot of balls

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 01, 2015, 09:01:37 am
How hard is it to get on that course?  Pretty exclusive isn't it?  Not quite Agusta National tough but difficult none the less is what I've heard

it's not as hard as Augusta, but you have to be invited by a member.  I looked at joining 3 yrs ago, when I moved back, and it's spectacular.  The Practice facility and clubhouse are awesome,

When I toured it, they didn't tell me the total number of members, but said that only 30-35 played consistently, so there's no issue with tee times or availability.

Gohogs600

Quote from: vol_in_ar on April 01, 2015, 10:22:50 am
it's not as hard as Augusta, but you have to be invited by a member.  I looked at joining 3 yrs ago, when I moved back, and it's spectacular.  The Practice facility and clubhouse are awesome,

When I toured it, they didn't tell me the total number of members, but said that only 30-35 played consistently, so there's no issue with tee times or availability.

I'd say the number is notably lower than 30-35.

jfan01

Quote from: Gohogs600 on April 01, 2015, 10:31:39 am
I'd say the number is notably lower than 30-35.

Given that, is there any concern over the long-term viability of the club.  I realize that Tyson has it as his pet and the U of A is set up out there.  Any chance Tyson gets tired of footing the bill, or if something were to happen to him, the funding would dry up?

On the current state of play - I would think you'd have to enjoy playing on your own.  I can't imaging there are too many groups to play with since the numbers are so small.  Are the golfers generally better players, or do you get a mix of all skill levels?