Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just getting into the field of 64 isn’t enough

Started by jst01, February 03, 2018, 08:23:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwildjoshua

IF we make the tourney we will be bounced first round  :puke:

Mediocre Mike  :puke:

hawg66

Another coach from this thread. Matt Painter. Between 2011 and 2016 he  Had two NCAA tournament wins, back to back losing seasons, averaged 13 losses per season. Hogville would be in a bigger meltdown than they are now. Pudue's patience with a good coach is why they're reaping the rewards this year. Hogville is toxic, fueled by a group who knows little about college basketball.

Grow up people. It's a game. Anderson represents the school with class and he's done everything but have that breakthrough season we all want. Starting over would be stupid   Patience is what we need, something many here don't have.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hawg66 on February 08, 2018, 09:29:02 am
Another coach from this thread. Matt Painter. Between 2011 and 2016 he  Had two NCAA tournament wins, back to back losing seasons, averaged 13 losses per season. Hogville would be in a bigger meltdown than they are now. Pudue's patience with a good coach is why they're reaping the rewards this year. Hogville is toxic, fueled by a group who knows little about college basketball.

Grow up people. It's a game. Anderson represents the school with class and he's done everything but have that breakthrough season we all want. Starting over would be stupid   Patience is what we need, something many here don't have.

Not Matt Painter. Back to back losing seasons?
You're absolutely right! There's alot of people just throwing out names without looking at records. The number 1 team in the country just lost at home to St. John's that prior to winning last night hadn't won a conference game.

jst01

Quote from: hawg66 on February 08, 2018, 09:29:02 am

Grow up people. It’s a game. Anderson represents the school with class and he’s done everything but have that breakthrough season we all want. Starting over would be stupid   Patience is what we need, something many here don’t have.

Patience, ha!  After 7 years you tell me what MA has done in recruiting and in game management that makes you believe he will ever have any breakthrough season.  And nobody has ever said MA wasn't a classy, well respected person that is a solid human being.  But sometimes good people cant accomplish the goals they are paid for and expected to do. Assuming next year is a 'rebuild' year and they don't win anything of substance, if after 8 years all you have to show for it is a few appearances in the tournament and not making it past the first weekend of play, then you were allowed a large amount of patience by everyone involved and shouldn't be surprised that you are being replaced.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 08, 2018, 09:34:28 am
You're absolutely right! There's alot of people just throwing out names without looking at records. The number 1 team in the country just lost at home to St. John's that prior to winning last night hadn't won a conference game.

Upsets happen.  Tend to overlook them a little more when a coach has been to the NCAAT 12 out of the last 13 seasons with a NC + F4 + E8 + 2 Sw 16s and a number 1 ranking and a 22-2 record.  Steve Lappas was more Mike Anderson at Arkansas-like. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 08, 2018, 09:34:28 am

I wonder if Villanova fans are calling for the head of Jay Wright after that horrible loss at home last night?  I know that Coach A was lampooned on here after the LSU game, and it wasn't nearly as bad as Villanova's loss.  Its basketball, tems will lose a game or two they shouldn't and win a game or two they shouldn't.  We lost to LSU & MISS ST, we beat OK & Tennessee.  It all evens out in the end.  The only thing you can ask of ANY basketball coach is that he guide his team into the big dance.  From there on out its a crapshoot.  If we can get in, then we can make a run if our guards get hot.  Even the Final 4 is possible, we beat a F4 team just a couple nights ago, so it can be done.  Go Hogs
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

hawg66

Quote from: jst01 on February 08, 2018, 09:38:07 am
Patience, ha!  After 7 years you tell me what MA has done in recruiting and in game management that makes you believe he will ever have any breakthrough season.  And nobody has ever said MA wasn't a classy, well respected person that is a solid human being.  But sometimes good people cant accomplish the goals they are paid for and expected to do. Assuming next year is a 'rebuild' year and they don't win anything of substance, if after 8 years all you have to show for it is a few appearances in the tournament and not making it past the first weekend of play, then you were allowed a large amount of patience by everyone involved and shouldn't be surprised that you are being replaced.
all I did was pick a coach being lauded in this thread mainly for not being Anderson. Stupid posts abound. Are you saying that Purdue should have fired Painter for those results?  I mean he was never gonna do better...oh wait...

jst01

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 08, 2018, 09:42:57 am
I wonder if Villanova fans are calling for the head of Jay Wright after that horrible loss at home last night?  I know that Coach A was lampooned on here after the LSU game, and it wasn't nearly as bad as Villanova's loss.  Its basketball, tems will lose a game or two they shouldn't and win a game or two they shouldn't.  We lost to LSU & MISS ST, we beat OK & Tennessee.  It all evens out in the end.  The only thing you can ask of ANY basketball coach is that he guide his team into the big dance.  From there on out its a crapshoot.  If we can get in, then we can make a run if our guards get hot.  Even the Final 4 is possible, we beat a F4 team just a couple nights ago, so it can be done.  Go Hogs

what are you talking about?  Things wrong in this post:  1.  Comparing AR to Villanova. 2. Excusing losing to a lesser team in your home stadium b/c it will all even out in the end 3. We beat a final 4 team a couple nights ago?  Surely you aren't saying the SC team that played in Bud Walton the other night is the same team that made the final 4 run. 

jst01

Quote from: hawg66 on February 08, 2018, 09:46:14 am
all I did was pick a coach being lauded in this thread mainly for not being Anderson. Stupid posts abound. Are you saying that Purdue should have fired Painter for those results?  I mean he was never gonna do better...oh wait...

Please.  You know what Painter did leading up to those losing seasons? 

2007-2nd round of tourney
2008-2nd round of tourney
2009-Sweet 16
2010-Sweet 16
2011-2nd round of tourney
2012-2nd round of tourney

Then had two losing seasons (going 2 games under .500).

So tell me how he compares to MA in his accomplishments?  See, when a coach actually wins games that matter and proves that he can take his CURRENT program deep in the tourney, then he builds up equity with fans and his bosses.  So later when that coach has a rebuild and struggles for a couple years, people will cut him some slack.  Almost beating UNC one year is not equity, and that's the pinnacle of MA here.

hawg66

Anyone trying to find any significant differences between Anderson and Painter is trying way too hard.

Painter
313-150 .676
10 tournament appearances
3 sweet 16's
10-10 tourney record

Anderson
343-180 .656
9 tournament appearances
2 sweet 16's
1 elite 8
9-8 tourney record

Regardless, are you really trying to tell me that people here wouldn't be calling for his head after back to back losing seasons with no breakthrough tournament run?  If not what's the difference. Never mind I know.

daprospecta

Quote from: hawg66 on February 08, 2018, 10:28:30 am
Anyone trying to find any significant differences between Anderson and Painter is trying way too hard.

Painter
313-150 .676
10 tournament appearances
3 sweet 16's
10-10 tourney record

Anderson
343-180 .656
9 tournament appearances
2 sweet 16's
1 elite 8
9-8 tourney record

Regardless, are you really trying to tell me that people here wouldn't be calling for his head after back to back losing seasons with no breakthrough tournament run?  If not what's the difference. Never mind I know.
I've said it once and I will say it again. The grass LOOKS greener but it's not. Outside of the top coaches(Coach K, Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Roy Williams, maybe Jay Wright? am I missing somebody?), you have a lot of good coaches. Mike Anderson is one of those good coaches.  A good coach does not always work out at a school but don't act like we are going to replace CMA with another coach who will have us in the sweet 16 consistently. It's not happening.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on February 08, 2018, 10:44:22 am
I've said it once and I will say it again. The grass LOOKS greener but it's not. Outside of the top coaches(Coach K, Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Roy Williams, maybe Jay Wright? am I missing somebody?), you have a lot of good coaches. Mike Anderson is one of those good coaches.  A good coach does not always work out at a school but don't act like we are going to replace CMA with another coach who will have us in the sweet 16 consistently. It's not happening.

Odds may be against but you don't know for sure.

Mike is our Steve Lappas.  Maybe the next coach (whenever that happens in the distant future) is our Jay Wright.

Quote from: hawg66 on February 08, 2018, 10:28:30 am
If not what's the difference. Never mind I know.

What's the difference?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawg66

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2018, 10:49:29 am

Mike is our Steve Lappas.  Maybe the next coach (whenever that happens in the distant future) is our Jay Wright.

What's the difference?
Ignorance, mostly.

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: jst01 on February 08, 2018, 09:47:58 am
what are you talking about?  Things wrong in this post:  1.  Comparing AR to Villanova. 2. Excusing losing to a lesser team in your home stadium b/c it will all even out in the end 3. We beat a final 4 team a couple nights ago?  Surely you aren't saying the SC team that played in Bud Walton the other night is the same team that made the final 4 run.

Arkansas is a state school, Villanova is a city school.  Not sure why we cant compare them. Theyre ahead right now, sure, but we've been ahead too
Yes, we lost to LSU at home (whew, that stunk) we beat OK on a nuetral court (that was great) it evens out.
Was I mistaken?  Did SC go to the F4 last year? I know its not the exact same team, you think Frank Martin has just given up that dream in 2018? I can asure you they (SC fans) have not.

Coach A just needs to get our guys peaking toward the end, and we'll make a run.  Coach A is theman for the job.

I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

Atlhogfan1

hawg66

I'm more than willing to talk about the elephant in the room. I'm certainly not saying anyone who wants Anderson gone is a racist. I'm saying anyone who thinks Painter is all that and Anderson sucks may well have some issues.
Kinda like people who bemoan that we didn't hire Self. They're right that it would have played into Richardson's lawsuit. But not because he was white. Because he wa white and Arkansas would have had to pay more than Richardson was making to get him. Which was exactly Richardson's claim.

It's okay to believe Anderson should go. Just don't bring me Matt Painter as an example of a much better choice.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawg66 on February 08, 2018, 11:06:39 am
I'm more than willing to talk about the elephant in the room. I'm certainly not saying anyone who wants Anderson gone is a racist. I'm saying anyone who thinks Painter is all that and Anderson sucks may well have some issues.
Kinda like people who bemoan that we didn't hire Self. They're right that it would have played into Richardson's lawsuit. But not because he was white. Because he wa white and Arkansas would have had to pay more than Richardson was making to get him. Which was exactly Richardson's claim.

It's okay to believe Anderson should go. Just don't bring me Matt Painter as an example of a much better choice.

Appreciate you jumping on out there.  Your earlier reply was a succinctly good response. 

jst01

Quote from: hawg66 on February 08, 2018, 11:06:39 am
I’m more than willing to talk about the elephant in the room. I’m certainly not saying anyone who wants Anderson gone is a racist. I’m saying anyone who thinks Painter is all that and Anderson sucks may well have some issues.
Kinda like people who bemoan that we didn’t hire Self. They’re right that it would have played into Richardson’s lawsuit. But not because he was white. Because he wa white and Arkansas would have had to pay more than Richardson was making to get him. Which was exactly Richardson’s claim.

It’s okay to believe Anderson should go. Just don’t bring me Matt Painter as an example of a much better choice.

some get fixated on one example.  And if you go back and look, Painter was brought up in the argument that one poster said "AR cant hire a big name coach b/c nobody big will come here"... I opined that AR doesn't need to hire a big name coach. Painter is one of many "small name coaches' that were at small schools running organized, fundamental basketball programs that got their chance at big schools and he succeeded.  Painter isn't an elite coach, but he's very solid. My whole point is that the people that think there are only a handful of coaches in basketball that could top what MA has done here in 7 years are mistaken. There are many guys that have that ability when given their chance.  And after 7 years of AR being just decent, some fans have every right to want better than decent and to give one of these other guys their chance. 

hawg66

Quote from: jst01 on February 08, 2018, 11:24:28 am
some get fixated on one example.  And if you go back and look, Painter was brought up in the argument that one poster said "AR cant hire a big name coach b/c nobody big will come here"... I opined that AR doesn't need to hire a big name coach. Painter is one of many "small name coaches' that were at small schools running organized, fundamental basketball programs that got their chance at big schools and he succeeded.  Painter isn't an elite coach, but he's very solid. My whole point is that the people that think there are only a handful of coaches in basketball that could top what MA has done here in 7 years are mistaken. There are many guys that have that ability when given their chance.  And after 7 years of AR being just decent, some fans have every right to want better than decent and to give one of these other guys their chance.
Patience is a virtue. I'm in the camp that says we're close. Changing now on the chance that we could get someone better than Anderson or Painter is foolish IMO. If Anderson tanks he'll be gone. All of this hatred and negativity, player bashing and bitching in mid season is dumb and nonproductive. It's a distraction for the disenchanted and not going to accomplish anything. But I'm sure it will continue. My hope as a Hog fan is that the naysayers will end up looking as silly as they did last year.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawg66 on February 08, 2018, 11:35:31 am
Patience is a virtue. I'm in the camp that says we're close. Changing now on the chance that we could get someone better than Anderson or Painter is foolish IMO. If Anderson tanks he'll be gone. All of this hatred and negativity, player bashing and bitching in mid season is dumb and nonproductive. It's a distraction for the disenchanted and not going to accomplish anything. But I'm sure it will continue. My hope as a Hog fan is that the naysayers will end up looking as silly as they did last year.

Our fans could be like much of the rest of the SEC and not give a darn. 

hawg66

Or be upset about losses and bad games without crying for the coach' head midseason. I'm not happy about the way the season turned but most of these guys wouldn't even be posting here if the Hogs were rolling. What is the opposite of a fair weather fan?  I don't know. But we've got a bunch who only show up when the Hogs struggle and whose only idea for a solution is fire the coach.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: daprospecta on February 06, 2018, 11:11:19 am
First, I said the first weekend not the first round. I posted his career at Cincy. Looks kind of familiar doesn't it.  Every one here complains about never making it out of the first weekend. You guys think we would be happy with a coach who after 12 years, only made it past the round of 32 once?  Yea right. The grass always looks greener but it's not.  Not saying we shouldn't fire Mike if next year looks like this year, I am saying that great coaches are rare and to expect something similar.

2006–07   Cincinnati   11–19   2–14   16th   
2007–08   Cincinnati   13–19   8–10   10th   CBI First Round
2008–09   Cincinnati   18–14   8–10   T–9th   
2009–10   Cincinnati   19–16   7–11   T–11th   NIT Second Round
2010–11   Cincinnati   26–9   11–7   T–6th   NCAA Round of 32
2011–12   Cincinnati   26–11   12–6   T–4th   NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13   Cincinnati   22–12   9–9   T–9th   NCAA Round of 64
Cincinnati (American Athletic Conference) (2013–present)
2013–14   Cincinnati   27–7   15–3   T–1st   NCAA Round of 64
2014–15   Cincinnati   23–11*   13–5*   T–3rd   NCAA Round of 32
2015–16   Cincinnati   22–11   12–6   T–3rd   NCAA Round of 64
2016–17   Cincinnati   30–6   16–2   2nd   NCAA Round of 32

That is better than what Mike has accomplished...how hard is it to see that?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on February 08, 2018, 01:15:02 pm
That is better than what Mike has accomplished...how hard is it to see that?

Look very similar after 6 seasons. 2 NCAA tournament appearances. However, he did have a sweet 16 in those 2 NCAA tournament appearances.   

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 08, 2018, 01:20:21 pm
Look very similar after 6 seasons. 2 NCAA tournament appearances. However, he did have a sweet 16 in those 2 NCAA tournament appearances.

And only missed post season play two years instead of 3. 

HawgsPolo

Since win is making the tourney not enough?  Sounds idiotic to say
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HawgsPolo on February 08, 2018, 01:28:35 pm
Since win is making the tourney not enough?  Sounds idiotic to say

As late as 2007.  Mike was hired just 4 years later.

Arkansas didn't hire Mike Anderson to just make the NCAAT.   

Letsroll1200

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on February 08, 2018, 01:26:04 pm

Losing record in conference play the first 4 seasons. We can go back and forth! No way would Mike survived that.

Beaverfever

I honestly think we'll be ok if Mike can start making the tournament on a yearly basis.  His "style" lends itself to tournament play oddly enough.  I know that hasn't been the case at Arkansas yet but I think over a larger sample size this would probably be evident.  The key is whether Mike can get his teams in position to make the tournament on a yearly basis, preferably with a seed that gives you a chance to make a run in the tournament.  My point is I'm not as worried about Mike's ability to coach the Hogs in the NCAA tournament as I am worried about his ability to coach the Hogs to a decent position in the bracket.  This year hasn't done anything to ease those worries. 

mhuff

Quote from: jst01 on February 08, 2018, 11:24:28 am

Certainly I agree that there are good coaches at some smaller schools that could teach and run a successful program at UA. However, I do not support the idea that we can't get a big name coach. Furthermore, I see this as a plan to perpetuate mediocrity. You get what you pay for. I want a coach that is in the top ten. Not one that is not in the top 75. You put out some money and you get a great coach.

I think that CMA will get enough wins somehow to get into the NCAAT.  I also think that recruiting has improved. These are two of the criteria that I look for in a coach. However, I do not have faith in Mike's ability to coach that talent. His defense ,offense, fundamentals, and game management are too inconsistent for me. I wish he would turn the reins over to someone that could make improvements in those areas.

If CMA makes the tournament, he deserves to coach However, I don't expect anything spectacular. I do think that we will be a better team next year than the apologists are giving us credit for. I know we will be young, but as long as CMA doesn't hamstring the lineup, the talent is there inside and out to play winning BB as a team

daprospecta

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on February 08, 2018, 01:26:04 pm
Do you seriously consider the CBI as post-season play? My point is people were clamoring for a coach who gets bounced every first weekend of the tourney. That is the exact reason most people are complaining about Mike at the moment.

razorback1829

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2018, 02:12:43 pm
As late as 2007.  Mike was hired just 4 years later.

Arkansas didn't hire Mike Anderson to just make the NCAAT.

I call BS. We needed stability and a severe culture change. MA has shown the ability to coach basketball long before he got here.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 08, 2018, 03:48:11 pm
I call BS. We needed stability and a severe culture change. MA has shown the ability to coach basketball long before he got here.

Huh?  What are you calling BS about? 

hawganatic

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 06, 2018, 07:27:21 am
Yes it is.  We're not a good enough program to fire a coach that makes the dance.  It's been 22 years since we've done more than play a game or 2 in the field of 64.

This makes no sense.  You can't say getting into the tournament is good enough if the reason we aren't "a good enough program" is the coach.

Knot2brite

Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2018, 10:49:29 am

What's the difference?

It's funny to see Steve Lappas mentioned, since he was basically running down what Mike does in practice ("All they do in practice is run up and down the court") when he was the color analyst in 2015 at the two NCAA Tournament games. I hate that guy. Maybe he should have done more running up and down the court in practice instead of whatever it was he did that got him fired.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 08, 2018, 04:15:14 pm
It's funny to see Steve Lappas mentioned, since he was basically running down what Mike does in practice ("All they do in practice is run up and down the court") when he was the color analyst in 2015 at the two NCAA Tournament games. I hate that guy. Maybe he should have done more running up and down the court in practice instead of whatever it was he did that got him fired.

Never paid much attention to him. 

razorback1829

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2018, 03:52:00 pm
Huh?  What are you calling BS about?

You're rebuttal of the post. Pretty simple to understand.

Sivad

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2018, 06:45:53 am
Every time someone says " throw money" they should be required to post how much they donate.
Strong.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 08, 2018, 03:48:11 pm
Quote from: razorback1829 on February 09, 2018, 12:23:58 am
You're rebuttal of the post. Pretty simple to understand.

"We needed stability and a severe culture change." - Of course.  Part of the building process.

"MA has shown the ability to coach basketball long before he got here." - No darn. 

So even though he had shown the ability to coach basketball including more than just making the NCAAT, it's BS to say we hired him to do more than that?