Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tory Miller-Stewart

Started by azhog10, April 05, 2018, 03:44:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumbaa

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on April 10, 2018, 10:20:26 pm
4 and 5 are labels, a mirage based on a by-gone era ... we use these labels out of habit, but the game is such now that most teams are running 2 forwards (or 4s) on the frontline with either 3 guards or 2 guards and a SF. Gafford is a throwback, almost a unicorn, as a true 5 in today's game. Henderson is more of a traditional 4, but we won't see him on the floor much with Gafford, IMO, because both players are so interior-dependent offensively. Initially, Henderson will help back up Gafford and we'll likely see him paired most often with an offense-capable 4 (Chaney). That's my initial take based on the roster make-up right now.

Completely agree and this backs up my argument. If Henderson develops quickly, they take a grad transfer for the last scholarship this year, they still may only need to pick up one big in the '19 class.

Best case scenario in my opinion would be to take Stewart, or another big grad transfer this year, Hill takes a football scholarship, and you then have 3 scholarships to play with in '19.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: azhog10 on April 10, 2018, 10:24:23 pm
While I agree, I disagree in one aspect. I wouldn't be shocked to see Henderson and Chaney together. The only reason you wouldn't is if we didn't have another capable big. Chaney and Hendersons game aren't too different. Chaney is able to face up and knock the jumper down and drive it a bit, but Chaney is still best with his back to the basket and posting up. So I expect to see Chaney and Gafford inside together, I don't know why we coudln't see Henderson and Gafford together. Would be one crazy shot blocking defense.

Based on the roster make-up now, Henderson is the most likely to back up Gafford, and as much as CMA likes to mix and match lineups, based on history we know he does not play his 2 centerpiece bigs together ... we rarely saw Portis and Kingsley on the floor together, we rarely if ever saw Kingsley and Thompson on the floor together, and we rarely saw Thompson and Gafford on the floor together.

I think Chaney is a great complement for Gafford as a 1-2 frontline punch, and with Henderson as Gafford's backup, I also think the Chaney-Henderson duo will be complementary. I also like Gabe on the floor with any of them because he can guard all 5 positions on ball-screen switches and in the press, he plays fundamental D, and he's probably stronger than any of the bigs not named Gafford (and the gap's not huge there).

nwahogfan1

Henderson is very light and i am not sure likes to bang inside right now with the big boys will get killed on the inside right now plus I am not so sure he wants to be a 5.  Under 6 RPG  in HS tells me he did not like to bang foot rebounds in HS so I think when he plays in SEC games he will disappear.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 10, 2018, 10:52:38 pm
Henderson is very light and i am not sure likes to bang inside right now with the big boys will get killed on the inside right now plus I am not so sure he wants to be a 5.  Under 6 RPG  in HS tells me he did not like to bang foot rebounds in HS so I think when he plays in SEC games he will disappear.

Couple of things: 1. Henderson's rebounding stats are wrong, he was closer to 8 per game than 6 ... don't ask me to explain that, it's just true. 2. Henderson usually picked up 2 fouls very early in the 1st Q -- seemed like 2 out of every 3 games that was the case, and as the season wore on it was like a broken record -- so he often sat 10-12 minutes of the 16-minute 1st half. If we were looking at true rebounds per 32-mins played, his rebounding numbers would be really good.

Now, part of what you posted is accurate. Henderson needs to add weight/strength to bang at the next level. And some of his issues when getting beat on the glass or to the basket were instances of getting caught ball-watching / motor not always full-go ... when he was locked in and playing without early fouls, he was a walking double-double ... CMA and staff are going to have to push buttons with him regarding motor, focus, and playing hard but smart through foul adversity ... BUT he can be a productive rebounder, good defender, and blue-collar / opportunistic offensive contributor, maybe more than that with development.

Razorod

Kevin, who do you think the Hogs are going to bring in next and when? They got things done quickly with Jones, wondering if it'll work out smoothly for their target at the 4/5 slot.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Pinto

While I agree, I disagree in one aspect. I wouldn't be shocked to see Henderson and Chaney together. The only reason you wouldn't is if we didn't have another capable big. Chaney and Hendersons game aren't too different. Chaney is able to face up and knock the jumper down and drive it a bit, but Chaney is still best with his back to the basket and posting up. So I expect to see Chaney and Gafford inside together, I don't know why we coudln't see Henderson and Gafford together. Would be one crazy shot blocking defense.

It would be horrible spacing unless Dan improves his shot more

nwahogfan1

Quote from: draftkings33 on April 06, 2018, 02:50:15 pm
I would like to see 4 guys get 30 plus minutes plus per game.  Gafford, Joe, Embery, Chaney,

I agree. Best teams have a core of 5 to 7 or 8  players that get the vast majority of minutes. When Mike plays 11 guys then your  taking minutes away from your core and most importantly your best 5.  If Mike can't identify his core then that is coaching. 

Also Mike should redshirt some of those players particularly the big guys who need to gain weight and develop.

Swinesong1

University of Denver bound.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on June 12, 2018, 11:58:41 pm
University of Denver bound.

Wow. Should get plenty of PT, though.

mhuff

FATHAWG08

Quote from: draftkings33 on April 06, 2018, 02:50:15 pm
I would like to see 4 guys get 30 plus minutes plus per game.  Gafford, Joe, Embery, Chaney,
Thus%^^^. I think this is the winning formula. But to accomplish this.
1.Eliminate the unnecessary switching by our big's to guard the 1/2'at the top of the key.
expends to much energy plus we are out of postion under the boards.

2. I don't mind the pressing but when they cross half put our length 2/3 on the wings to challenge the perimeter shots an eliminate the opposing PG to driving the lane for easy buckets under the goal and puts pressure on our big's & creat the silly fouls

3. Have our 4/5's around the boards to eliminate  the multiple put backs by out opponents that seem to be our back breakers on the road.

4. We have to be in position to rebound the ball first on both ends, run when it's there and be able to run a solid half court offense  that spreads out the defense to give Gafford a chance to dominate the inside  until they come in to double which should create open looks for perimeter shots while saving their legs.

5. Our top 4/5 players being able to play 30 minutes will gives us the best chance, keep them in a positive rhythm thru the course of the game.
I love off season Football!!