Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Three timeouts left....did coach quit?

Started by onebadrubi, March 03, 2018, 09:23:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Did Mike want to keep the timeouts for the ride home?  Did he cash it in?  Did he see no need to call a timeout and try a different line up in the last 10 minutes?  Coming down the stretch this team got it close, then Mizzou would go on a run and Mike wouldn't try to stop it. 

BentonvilleJeff

Wow. I don't blame the coach at all. They made their shots and we didn't. Road games you have to make big time plays. That's not on the coach.

azhog10

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 03, 2018, 09:23:40 pm
Did Mike want to keep the timeouts for the ride home?  Did he cash it in?  Did he see no need to call a timeout and try a different line up in the last 10 minutes?  Coming down the stretch this team got it close, then Mizzou would go on a run and Mike wouldn't try to stop it.
Last thing we needed was to stop the game and slow things down. The less time the ball spent stopped the better for us. Timeouts wouldn't have changed anything. Poor defense and lack of ball movement offensively cost the hogs. Well that and the officiating.

onebadrubi

Quote from: azhog10 on March 03, 2018, 09:28:36 pm
Last thing we needed was to stop the game and slow things down. The less time the ball spent stopped the better for us. Timeouts wouldn't have changed anything. Poor defense and lack of ball movement offensively cost the hogs. Well that and the officiating.

So you go 20 minutes, an extremely long stretch when under 10'with the same lineup, and never try to stop momentum and set something up.  Yeah... that's bad coaching

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on March 03, 2018, 09:26:24 pm
Wow. I don't blame the coach at all. They made their shots and we didn't. Road games you have to make big time plays. That's not on the coach.
we made more shots and had a better shooting percentage??? You don't even add up 😂😂😂
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Razorback_Mack

Stupid post. Cuonzo had only one left with about 15 minutes left to play. Why in the world would we stop the clock for them to rest especially since they were playing big boy ball?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 03, 2018, 10:22:14 pm
Stupid post. Cuonzo had only one left with about 15 minutes left to play. Why in the world would we stop the clock for them to rest especially since they were playing big boy ball?

I guess it's such a stupid post because we won anyways, right?

maxhog5

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 03, 2018, 10:36:28 pm

Dude, you are really reaching so you can bad mouth Anderson.  Hall took a bad 3 pointer with 11:36 which capped a couple of bad possesions, but a tv timeout came very shortly after.  As for the end of the game, after the final tv timeout, Arkansas only had the ball twice from 3:39 until 1:53 when Barford fouled on the three point attempt.  In those two possesions, Gafford missed a pair of free throws and Macon scored on a drive.  Maybe he could have called one there and set up what?  As it was, Missouri played outstanding defense on that possession and forced Barford to take a contested shot.  Missouri came down and Barnett hit the dagger 3.  There were no huge runs in the second half to stop and by then, Missouri was playing with a six man team, no need to let them rest plus who you going to sub for Arkansas.  Jones was hurt, Hall was having a terrible game so that just left Bailey, Cook, and Thomas.

alohawg

Arkansas probably did enough to lose without the refs assist to Mizzou today. How many times did they commit a silly foul in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock, including the killer one with 1:53 left?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hawg1221

Sounds like someone is trying to stir the pot.

Nickle-Pig

With the long and frequent TV time outs we don't need to help slow it down with any timeouts.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

GA reddiehog

Not based on this game but all the years MA has produced a so-so team he needs to go.  Most of the games they play, they don't appear to have a game plan.  If the street ball is working, they do good and vv.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: GA reddiehog on February 20, 2018, 10:09:04 pm
Hogs are done.  They lose out.  They don't have a coach to lead them and he insists on playing a pressing D when they need to be using that energy on a good half court D.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: GA reddiehog on February 21, 2018, 03:56:46 pm
What will all the MA supporters say when the Hogs lose the last three games and miss the NCAA tourney????  It very well could happen but hopefully not.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: GA reddiehog on February 20, 2018, 10:02:56 pm
They gave up when KY got the last lead.  They were give out physically and mentally.  No Big Dance this year.  I think they lose the next three and the first game in the SEC tourney.
I will be glad when MA decides to retire.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

cram224

If CMA had called anymore time outs, all he would have said was your getting punked. Mo put on a clinic for how to shutdown Macon and Barford. I think Macon only shot one three all game. Mo is well coached.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: cram224 on March 04, 2018, 06:52:28 am
If CMA had called anymore time outs, all he would have said was your getting punked. Mo put on a clinic for how to shutdown Macon and Barford. I think Macon only shot one three all game. Mo is well coached.

You cut off the head the body will fall.  On another note I witnessed this and every other opponent leave our PF position basically un-guarded from the free-throw line extended which has been a perfect strategy to double team Macon, Beard, Barford on the perimeter.

Yesterday Trey Thompson took the shot reminiscent of Dustin Thomas vs Alabama. He hasn't done that with confidence since November.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

raz1965

The real facts are simple, mizzo did not allow Macon an Barford to spot up an the few times they did the shooting was not there. The refs did Arkansas no favors but some for mizzo. Porter played like a first rounder , the deck was stacked against Arkansas , yet the hogs stayed in the game untill the last few minutes. There no need to get overly upset about a road loss to mizzo, which could well be a sweet 16 team, I really though the refs swung the game in mizzo's favor.

onebadrubi

Quote from: raz1965 on March 04, 2018, 07:50:15 am
The real facts are simple, mizzo did not allow Macon an Barford to spot up an the few times they did the shooting was not there. The refs did Arkansas no favors but some for mizzo. Porter played like a first rounder , the deck was stacked against Arkansas , yet the hogs stayed in the game untill the last few minutes. There no need to get overly upset about a road loss to mizzo, which could well be a sweet 16 team, I really though the refs swung the game in mizzo's favor.

Porter did exactly what he's been doing starting around the time they came to Fayetteville.  Should have game planned for him.  Him and tillman are really their forces along with the 3 guy, was that Barnett? 

I'm not trying to stir the dang pot.  I want to know why the heck you leave Missouri with three timeouts and allowed multiple mizzou runs in the second half.  Players can play through a lot of things, but you have a 4+ million dollar staff sitting there, use a timeout and coach these guys. 

pigture perfect

Arguments can be made either way. Sometimes you need to call a timeout to kill the opponents momentum and rythem. Contrary to popular believe, you can even coach someone during those things.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

raz1965

No need to whine about timeouts, had no bearing on the outcome of the game, look at the stat lines an see the facts.

jimmur74

Get a life azzhat

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 03, 2018, 09:23:40 pm

onebadrubi

Quote from: jimmur74 on March 04, 2018, 09:29:33 am
Get a life azzhat

You enjoy that lack of effort?  Good for you but I don't. 

I have a very nice life.  One that at times I wonder why I follow so intensely the razorbacks, but I do.  I enjoyed my time on the hill as a student and now as a fan with a very nice life.  Enjoy yours buddy.   Learn to be criticism yet can still love and support something.  It will make you feel better

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 03, 2018, 10:36:28 pm
Stupid post because the reasoning for not calling the timeouts should be easily seen. News flash, you don't win every ball game man. Assuming the coach quit is freaking ignorant. It shows major ignorance on your part.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 04, 2018, 07:55:39 am
Porter did exactly what he's been doing starting around the time they came to Fayetteville.  Should have game planned for him.  Him and tillman are really their forces along with the 3 guy, was that Barnett? 

I'm not trying to stir the dang pot.  I want to know why the heck you leave Missouri with three timeouts and allowed multiple mizzou runs in the second half.  Players can play through a lot of things, but you have a 4+ million dollar staff sitting there, use a timeout and coach these guys.

Why call timeouts when the clock is stopped every 15 seconds for some ticky tak foul on us?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: raz1965 on March 04, 2018, 07:50:15 am

Mizzou not a sweet 16 team.  Not deep enough, and with VanLeer hurt the bench just got thinner.  Might win one in the big dance if the draw is alright, but sweet 16 isn't happening and I am a Missouri fan. 

GA reddiehog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 04, 2018, 06:48:35 am
What kind of fan are you???
One that doesn't think MA is a good coach!!!!!!!!!!!!  Should have never been hired.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: GA reddiehog on March 04, 2018, 11:32:26 am
One that doesn't think MA is a good coach!!!!!!!!!!!!  Should have never been hired.

Never? Lol. He was a great hire at the time and has done a good job. Has he done GREAT job? Only in bits and pieces. But to say that he should've  NEVER been hired is ridiculous.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 04, 2018, 10:54:46 am
Stupid post because the reasoning for not calling the timeouts should be easily seen. News flash, you don't win every ball game man. Assuming the coach quit is freaking ignorant. It shows major ignorance on your part.

The only ignorant thing is yoir comprehrnsion.  Where do I state or imply we should win every game.  My post is about the amount of effort.  You can not argue thagat no time in that second half should Arkansas not call a timeout and redirect or get coached. 

I can't believe the amount of bandwagon blind followers.   I'm not calling for him to be fired, not bashing the guys coach career, you don't go down without trying to change things.  We went down with only the players playing and little coaching in that second game.  Bielema esque there. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on March 04, 2018, 10:58:29 am
Mizzou not a sweet 16 team.  Not deep enough, and with VanLeer hurt the bench just got thinner.  Might win one in the big dance if the draw is alright, but sweet 16 isn't happening and I am a Missouri fan.

Man, to think mizzou is a sweet 16 team is laughable.  To call them a sweet 16 team at this point is saying all teams in the tourney are sweet 16 teams, or calling Arkansas a final four team.  They are until they aren't I guess by his thinking.  But no one is calling a mizzou a sweet 16 team, at least no one with basketball intelligence.

raz1965

Well I said mizzo could be a sweet 16 team, now there are several others that could be also and the Razorbacks are included. I never said likely or would be.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 04, 2018, 12:10:08 pm
Man, to think mizzou is a sweet 16 team is laughable.  To call them a sweet 16 team at this point is saying all teams in the tourney are sweet 16 teams, or calling Arkansas a final four team.  They are until they aren't I guess by his thinking.  But no one is calling a mizzou a sweet 16 team, at least no one with basketball intelligence.

I would hope not.  Year three of the Martin era will be the tale of the tape.  The two bigs will be juniors (assuming Jontay stays past sophomore year), if the PG from Chicago  and the kid from Webster Groves signs they will be sophomores and ready for prime time. Also gives Martin a couple years to build a little bit of depth.  Should have something then.   

onebadrubi

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on March 04, 2018, 01:14:52 pm
I would hope not.  Year three of the Martin era will be the tale of the tape.  The two bigs will be juniors (assuming Jontay stays past sophomore year), if the PG from Chicago  and the kid from Webster Groves signs they will be sophomores and ready for prime time. Also gives Martin a couple years to build a little bit of depth.  Should have something then.

I never understood tenner running him off.  All my inlaws are mizzou alum/boosters and told them martin would do good for them when they are were on the fence. 

That being said, I still don't understand yesterday

It seems the "anti timeout" crew didn't think mike would say anything helpful so why bother?

k.c.hawg

Was watching Wichita State being outscored 16-1 today and Greg Marshall wasn't calling a timeout. Then they said he had only called 29 timeouts all year, leaving 145 in his pocket. Then they stated he only called 37 timeouts in 36 games last year. They then stated that Marshall explains it as, I want my teams to deal with the adversity and get through it. Greg Marshall is an outstanding coach that obviously hasn't lost a ton of games but when his teams are in trouble, his philosophy is, make em play through it.

Just thought it was odd when that came up today.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 04, 2018, 02:59:45 pm
I never understood tenner running him off.  All my inlaws are mizzou alum/boosters and told them martin would do good for them when they are were on the fence. 

That being said, I still don't understand yesterday

Zone defense.  Would have kept Gafford on the floor and stopped the fouls a mile from the basket.  The biggest plus for me with Martin is the STL connection.  Sooooooo much talent there and no Missouri coach, not even Norm really, has been able to take advantage of it.  I do also like the hard nosed disciplined defense.  Harkens back to Norm a little bit.