Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RB situation

Started by Headhog32, August 15, 2017, 06:34:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Headhog32

whats some opinions on David Williams and chase Hayden? from highlight films looks like both of these guys could Make some impacts

1highhog

Just from what I've been hearing not seeing I think Chase Hayden has got to see the field this season and I mean CBB will probably play him quite a bit especially as the season progresses.   

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 12, 2017, 03:25:13 pm
Dude really reminds me of Barry Sanders...
Barry Sanders

Chase Hayden

From another thread...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawgdavis

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 15, 2017, 06:42:01 pm
From another thread...

I agree but I think he has a gear that Barry Sanders did not have. Barry was almost impossible to get your hands on but he never ran away from anybody.

AirWarren

Quote from: hawgdavis on August 15, 2017, 06:52:55 pm
I agree but I think he has a gear that Barry Sanders did not have. Barry was almost impossible to get your hands on but he never ran away from anybody.

Oh boy.

bennyl08

August 15, 2017, 07:06:28 pm #5 Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:49:28 pm by bennyl08
David Williams was a bright 4* out of HS. His freshmen year he was 3rd on the depth chart behind a really good Mike Davis. Since Davis, SC hasn't had any running backs of note. David William's production remarkably didn't change during his tenure in SC. All 3 years he played there, he accumulated on average just a little over 250 rushing yards and about another 100 through the air. Coming in third in rushing each and every year. That he was never able to break through puts some water on the smoke about him becoming a major player in the hogs rotation. That said, all we really need from him is a third back to give us a couple hundred yards, give us some experience in pass protection, and a veteran voice in the RB room. So basically the worst case scenario for him is exactly the minimum we need from him, so we are golden. In the sparse highlights he does have, he shows the speed, burst, and vision that made him a 4* to begin with. So, it begs the question, if he has the physical tools, why has it not led to more production? The two most likely scenarios are thus: mental issues (think Wingo) or maturity issues. If the former, we are at the worst case scenario, but that is all we need from him. If the latter, he gets a change of scenery, is older now, and has new coaching staff and he might reach his potential. Considering that even Wingo played several years in the NFL, it's good to have him.

Chase is a true freshmen. He has burst and speed like none of our other backs have save perhaps David. Chase is more of a jitterbug type back. He's a bit more of a true running back than say a Korliss Marshall who was a scat back. However, he's not the north south running style we've seen from the likes of JWill, Collins, RW3, or even Whaley. Of Whaley, David, and Maleek, Chase is also the least powerful of the group as a runner. However, so far, his burst, speed, and vision have vaulted him into the top 3, while pushing Maleek down to #4.

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

tusksincolorado

Quote from: 1highhog on August 15, 2017, 06:40:46 pm
Just from what I've been hearing not seeing I think Chase Hayden has got to see the field this season and I mean CBB will probably play him quite a bit especially as the season progresses.   

Until the first fumble.....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

HoggusMaximus

Dominicanhog

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 15, 2017, 07:06:28 pm
David William's production remarkably didn't change during his tenure in SC. All 3 years he played there, he accumulated on average just a little over 250 rushing touchdowns and about another 100 through the air.

damn he's a beast.  not sure how SC didn't win a NC while he was there.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 15, 2017, 07:46:56 pm
damn he's a beast.  not sure how SC didn't win a NC while he was there.

Good news is that we don't need him to be a beast. If he gives us his average yearly performance, that's 264 yards rushing. All we need is for Whaley to give us 1k that is expected from him, then another 750 or so yards combined from Whaley, Maleek, and Chase.

Anything above that is just gravy.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

rljjr

Don't discount Maleek Williams. Sure, he may redshirt, but that dude was busting skulls in the spring. He's going to be good, too, when he gets his shot.

daBoar

#6 all time in yards per rush in the Big 12; those 5 above him could move.

supersaint

Uhhhhh, wat?
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

lasthog

No offense,  but Sanders was 4.39 in the 40, 41.5 vertical.

We have some really good, potentially great backs though.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 15, 2017, 07:58:01 pm
Good news is that we don't need him to be a beast. If he gives us his average yearly performance, that's 264 yards rushing. All we need is for Whaley to give us 1k that is expected from him, then another 750 or so yards combined from Whaley, Maleek, and Chase.

Anything above that is just gravy.
I was just joking with you about the 250 rushing touchdowns a year and 100 receiving TDs on top.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 15, 2017, 09:08:36 pm
I was just joking with you about the 250 rushing touchdowns a year and 100 receiving TDs on top.

Autocorrected that in my head and never even realized there was a typo.

Talk about "whoosh!"

SamBuckhart

Quote from: rljjr on August 15, 2017, 08:33:19 pm
Don't discount Maleek Williams. Sure, he may redshirt, but that dude was busting skulls in the spring. He's going to be good, too, when he gets his shot.
I hope he does not redshirt. Like his style of running.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

bennyl08

Quote from: rljjr on August 15, 2017, 08:33:19 pm

Feel like it is worth giving a recap of Maleek in a similar fashion that I did for David and Chase (hopefully this time without the typo ;) ) .

In short, Maleek's highlights remind me a lot of Marcus Lattimore from SC. When watching HS tape, I try and judge the player's movements relative to the field and not the players around them. How quickly they cover 10 yards is the same in an NFL game, SEC game, Sun Belt, and HS. In times where it is something directly against somebody else such as strength, I assume they will be worse at the college level than they were in HS. For example, a player who goes down on contact in HS, I'm going to assume will go down in contact at college. If you can truck a player for 3 or so extra yards in HS but aren't strong enough to break the tackle, then I'll assume you'll do worse than that in college. If you are routinely breaking full contact tackles in HS, I'll assume that you will at least be able to truck pretty well in college. For Maleek, in HS, he was routinely breaking full contact tackles (as opposed to arm tackles, etc...) from guys squared up on him. Further, he wasn't being caught from behind when he was out in the open either. Now, I don't think he runs any 4.4 time, but I'd put him in the 4.5's somewhere about the same as JWill and Collins which is plenty fast (JWill ran in the low 4.6's at the combine, but players virtually always run a bit faster if they run again at the pro days and I expect Collins would be low to mid 4.5's and JWill high 4.5's here). So, from his HS tape alone, I was the most excited about Maleek from anybody in this class so I do have a bit of bias. However, Maleek also was able to come in here for spring practice such that when the season comes around, he is going to be better off than most true freshmen. So, he has the potential and the time to learn before the season starts but the potential and opportunity don't matter compared to results on the field. Maleek quickly moved up the depth chart to third behind Whaley, surpassing guys like Day and drawing rave reviews from the coaching staff and other players.

I don't think Maleek has fallen off at all. It's just that Chase and David have made that much of an impression that aren't just going to accept Maleek as being 2nd and fought hard to move up the depth chart themselves.

31to6

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 16, 2017, 12:38:07 am
I don't think Maleek has fallen off at all. It's just that Chase and David have made that much of an impression that aren't just going to accept Maleek as being 2nd and fought hard to move up the depth chart themselves.

Maleek is a power back like Whaley and Williams. Chase is probably in front of him because coaches want a change-of pace / scatback at #3 more than they want a 3rd bruiser.

Maleek is not competing with Chase for snaps. He is competing with Williams and Whaley.

If he is ready to pound the rock in the SEC as a true freshman, well that is a good problem for us to have.

1highhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 15, 2017, 07:06:28 pm
David Williams was a bright 4* out of HS. His freshmen year he was 3rd on the depth chart behind a really good Mike Davis. Since Davis, SC hasn't had any running backs of note. David William's production remarkably didn't change during his tenure in SC. All 3 years he played there, he accumulated on average just a little over 250 rushing yards and about another 100 through the air. Coming in third in rushing each and every year. That he was never able to break through puts some water on the smoke about him becoming a major player in the hogs rotation. That said, all we really need from him is a third back to give us a couple hundred yards, give us some experience in pass protection, and a veteran voice in the RB room. So basically the worst case scenario for him is exactly the minimum we need from him, so we are golden. In the sparse highlights he does have, he shows the speed, burst, and vision that made him a 4* to begin with. So, it begs the question, if he has the physical tools, why has it not led to more production? The two most likely scenarios are thus: mental issues (think Wingo) or maturity issues. If the former, we are at the worst case scenario, but that is all we need from him. If the latter, he gets a change of scenery, is older now, and has new coaching staff and he might reach his potential. Considering that even Wingo played several years in the NFL, it's good to have him.

Chase is a true freshmen. He has burst and speed like none of our other backs have save perhaps David. Chase is more of a jitterbug type back. He's a bit more of a true running back than say a Korliss Marshall who was a scat back. However, he's not the north south running style we've seen from the likes of JWill, Collins, RW3, or even Whaley. Of Whaley, David, and Maleek, Chase is also the least powerful of the group as a runner. However, so far, his burst, speed, and vision have vaulted him into the top 3, while pushing Maleek down to #4.

Of Chase, I think he has the best hips I've seen of any RB that we've had on the hill in quite some times as far as potential, I say this because he has of yet to play in a College game.  The only small issue I have, and granted this comes from and armchair QB, I think he carries the ball just a little bit loose at times in his running style that I saw in the above video.  Now, those were all highlights of him in high school, so if he did have any ball security issues when he got to the hill, I'm sure they are corrected by now.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 15, 2017, 06:34:37 pm
whats some opinions on David Williams and chase Hayden? from highlight films looks like both of these guys could Make some impacts

Based on what people who have seen him in practice say, David Williams is a heckuva a blocker and probably a better ball carrier and receiver than he was able to show at S. Carolina. Time will tell us how that impression that he has made translates to the field but from what I have heard, he is a better player than they had expected, even from watching his game film.

We've heard what Bielema has said about Chase and his ability to make something, out of nothing. His veteran team mates have been very impressed with his strength (despite his size) and work ethic in the weight room. Let's keep in mind that he is a true freshman and has yet to see a single college game, but it sounds as if he can turn into a potential big play maker, if he can protect himself and stay healthy.
Go Hogs Go!

nchogg

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 15, 2017, 07:08:31 pm
Until the first fumble.....
I hope that is a joke and not a negative thought. No one knows what will happen with SEC defenses.

hawgdavis

Quote from: AP85 on August 15, 2017, 07:02:44 pm
Oh boy.

I should have said in the NFL but not many RBs do. I went back and watched his College Highlights and I'll admit is was wrong on that he out ran many folks. I didn't get to see him play much in college being that I had already moved to Ga.and we didn't get to see many of his games in this market but as far as the high school highlights from what I could see I still think Chase just looks a little faster.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Chase is Barry but their high school highlights are eerily similar so I hope he will turn out to be the next Barry Sanders

hawgdavis

Quote from: lasthog on August 15, 2017, 08:47:07 pm

I'm just comparing highlight footage , and to me Chase looks a little faster that's all I meant and as far as out running people I was thinking more of his pro career. Of course not many backs out run the defenses in the NFL. My bad for not typing what I was actually thinking

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Dave Williams will be great this year. RB production can be affected drastically by the offense being run. I think he hinted at that a week or so ago when he said he and muschamp didn't see eye to eye (he was recruited by spurrier). In our offense he will get every chance to prove himself, and according to news from the hill, he's taking full advantage. I expect him to have a really big game when we play south carolina
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HamSammich

Compare college Barry to college secondary. In the NFL separation from secondary is very tough for a Rb

Had to post this because Sanders is the greatest of all time imo.

And the music is good. 1:04 you see a little of his extra gear.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: lasthog on August 15, 2017, 08:47:07 pm

4.37, in sweats, at OSU Pro Day. Skipped the combine.

Barry was both quick & fast, very compact, with exceptional balance and vision. Not to mention he was probably at 4.4 speed at about 3 to 4 steps.

He could definitely hold his own speed wise with defensive backs. He ran smart to maintain separation.
This is my non-signature signature.

tampahog

Quote from: hawgdavis on August 16, 2017, 07:13:05 am

I'm just comparing highlight footage , and to me Chase looks a little faster that's all I meant and as far as out running people I was thinking more of his pro career. Of course not many backs out run the defenses in the NFL. My bad for not typing what I was actually thinking
What is Chase's 40 time ?   In watching his highlight film, I see great elusiveness, vision, and cutback ability.  I'm not convinced that he has exceptional breakaway speed thus that may be why he is so good at cut backs well down the field.  If I remember right, he played in a smaller/midsize classification and thus the guys chasing him are probably 4.7 40 guys rather than 4.5 guys.  Still love his ability to make things happen but I'm not ready to say he has better breakaway speed than Sanders. 

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: tampahog on August 16, 2017, 09:51:10 am
What is Chase's 40 time ?   In watching his highlight film, I see great elusiveness, vision, and cutback ability.  I'm not convinced that he has exceptional breakaway speed thus that may be why he is so good at cut backs well down the field.  If I remember right, he played in a smaller/midsize classification and thus the guys chasing him are probably 4.7 40 guys rather than 4.5 guys.  Still love his ability to make things happen but I'm not ready to say he has better breakaway speed than Sanders.
Chase runs a 4.47 40.  You are correct about his HS team's classification (II-A), but that's a double edged sword. The defenses may not have been loaded with great athletes, but he was also running behind an OL the same size as he was:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/st-georges-gryphons-(collierville,tn)/football-fall-16/roster.htm

That being said, at The Opening, he was rated the #6 performer, so he has proven himself against elite competition, and you can't discount his pedigree/genetics (I know you didn't; just pointing it out).
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

lasthog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 16, 2017, 09:33:51 am
4.37, in sweats, at OSU Pro Day. Skipped the combine.

Barry was both quick & fast, very compact, with exceptional balance and vision. Not to mention he was probably at 4.4 speed at about 3 to 4 steps.

He could definitely hold his own speed wise with defensive backs. He ran smart to maintain separation.

I went on YouTube last night and watched some of his pro highlights. My oh my...

Hard to believe he was hardly recruited.  OU passed, and either Wichita St. or Kansas, can't remember which, said they didn't need any more midgets.

Not to criticize any of those that passed on him though, he was a late bloomer.

One can never tell with certainty how any particular player will perform. Here's to hoping one of our guys pops.

bennyl08

Quote from: 31to6 on August 16, 2017, 01:43:47 am
Maleek is a power back like Whaley and Williams. Chase is probably in front of him because coaches want a change-of pace / scatback at #3 more than they want a 3rd bruiser.

Maleek is not competing with Chase for snaps. He is competing with Williams and Whaley.

If he is ready to pound the rock in the SEC as a true freshman, well that is a good problem for us to have.

Whaley is not a power back, and from the highlights I've seen from David Williams during his time at SC, he is not a power back as well. That's not to say that neither have any power at all. However, go back and watch JWill against TTU in 2014. Whaley isn't going to be doing that anytime soon unless he adds another 10+ pounds of muscle, but I think for Whaley, that would take too much away from his speed.

bennyl08

Quote from: Poppa Tart on August 16, 2017, 10:39:47 am
Chase runs a 4.47 40.  You are correct about his HS team's classification (II-A), but that's a double edged sword. The defenses may not have been loaded with great athletes, but he was also running behind an OL the same size as he was:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/st-georges-gryphons-(collierville,tn)/football-fall-16/roster.htm

That being said, at The Opening, he was rated the #6 performer, so he has proven himself against elite competition, and you can't discount his pedigree/genetics (I know you didn't; just pointing it out).

Chase Hayden went to the Opening as you said so he has an actual electronically timed forty which was 4.62, not 4.47. I saw 4.47 reported by RD so I'm guessing that must have been a handheld forty time.

hawg66

Watching Hayden's highlights what jumped out at me wasn't his initial burst (which is good) as much as the sudden explosions once he gets  in space. Dude can cover 20 yards in an instant. I also think some folks are underselling his power. He's a strong young man and he'll break some tackles. I'm as excited about Chase as any Hog RB since McFadden and Jones.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 16, 2017, 12:28:37 pm
Chase Hayden went to the Opening as you said so he has an actual electronically timed forty which was 4.62, not 4.47. I saw 4.47 reported by RD so I'm guessing that must have been a handheld forty time.
Thanks for the correction.

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 16, 2017, 12:20:49 pm
Whaley is not a power back, and from the highlights I've seen from David Williams during his time at SC, he is not a power back as well. That's not to say that neither have any power at all. However, go back and watch JWill against TTU in 2014. Whaley isn't going to be doing that anytime soon unless he adds another 10+ pounds of muscle, but I think for Whaley, that would take too much away from his speed.
Agreed. Kody Walker and Broderick Green were both touted as "power backs" as well. Didn't see too much of that power show up in games. That label seems to be applied quite liberally these days, and most seem to base it, almost solely, on the size of the RB. I think our only true power back is Williams. I hope they'll give him a shot at some short yardage situations. He has a unique combo of speed and power, from what I've seen at least.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Großer Kriegschwein

Whaley is 6'1", 220-ish......

He is definitely big enough to lower his shoulder and plow a linebacker a few times a game.

But no, he actually has the ability to make cuts and such that "power" backs don't have the ability to do.

Ronnie Wingo was big enough to be a power back, had he actually not been seemingly scared of LOS contact.
This is my non-signature signature.

bennyl08

Quote from: Poppa Tart on August 16, 2017, 02:15:23 pm
Thanks for the correction.
Agreed. Kody Walker and Broderick Green were both touted as "power backs" as well. Didn't see too much of that power show up in games. That label seems to be applied quite liberally these days, and most seem to base it, almost solely, on the size of the RB. I think our only true power back is Williams. I hope they'll give him a shot at some short yardage situations. He has a unique combo of speed and power, from what I've seen at least.

While it is certainly an over-simplification, a running back in general can display 3 traits: elusiveness, speed, and power. If they are decent at all 3 and good in at least two, they become what I'd call a feature back. Somebody that can work in any offensive system and can run any play in the playbook. The strength to get the first on 4th and 1, the speed to run a sweep, etc...

For me, power back can denote one of two things. First, it is the back whose game is derived on power. Who can truck the defense for 3+ yards before he gets up to full speed and without anybody else pushing. Dmac showed power, but it was by not slowing down before contact and basically using himself as a projectile, though he has gained some power since being in the NFL. The 2nd way I also use power back is in denoting somebody who is a feature back that specializes in power. Key example there would be JWill. He had some good speed and wiggle, but wasn't great in speed, but he was great with power. Whaley I'd consider a speed back variety of the feature. He has pretty good strength, but not great, and he bases his game on speed. Maleek is a back that appears to have great power and perhaps a bit more speed than JWill but probably not a lot more.

longpig

M Williams will start getting snaps when RW and D Williams are slowed or injured.  No doubt
Don't be scared, be smart.

oldgoat

Quote from: longpig on August 16, 2017, 04:44:37 pm
M Williams will start getting snaps when RW and D Williams are slowed or injured.  No doubt

M Williams will start getting snaps IF RW and D Williams are slowed or injured.  No doubt.

Fixed it for you.
Hoglady: "Some things in life are only a big deal when you make them a big deal."

tophawg19

I look at Chase along the same lines as Felix Jones . A player who can go the distance on any play
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hawgfan4life

Quote from: tampahog on August 16, 2017, 09:51:10 am
In most cases only about 4 players on the entire defense will be 4.7 or faster.  It is a myth that a RB has to be 4.5 or faster to be successful at high level D1.  A quick first step, instincts, and playing without critical mistakes makes up for a couple of tenths in a 40 time.  May not get the long break away TDs very often, but it doesn't matter when the offense is efficient and effective.

HamSammich

Quote from: hawgfan4life on August 16, 2017, 05:13:12 pm
In most cases only about 4 players on the entire defense will be 4.7 or faster.  It is a myth that a RB has to be 4.5 or faster to be successful at high level D1.  A quick first step, instincts, and playing without critical mistakes makes up for a couple of tenths in a 40 time.  May not get the long break away TDs very often, but it doesn't matter when the offense is efficient and effective.

This is super correct... the 20 yard dash or shuttle time is far more important for a RB imo. Hell I think emmitt smith was probably a 4.6 40 guy without looking it up.

Edit had too look it up... 4.7... so statistically the best running back of all time was slow... lol. Can you guys imagine hogville if we offered a 4.7 rb out of hs? bahahhaha

FANONTHEHILL

From what I've seen, it wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the season, Devwah led in carries, yards, and TDs.  D. Wiliams was a very close second in TDs as a red zone power rusher, and Hayden had about half as many TDs, but doubled Devwah in yards per carry.  A three headed monster and Maleek waiting in the wings of someone goes down with an injury.  That's not s knock on Maleek, he's an amazing talent, but his skill set is similar to D. Williams and since David is only here for one season, you have to take full advantage of his time here.  201& could be special. Devwah (jr), Hayden (so), Maleek (r-fr).  Sets up nicely for the future.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on August 16, 2017, 05:59:01 pm
This is super correct... the 20 yard dash or shuttle time is far more important for a RB imo. Hell I think emmitt smith was probably a 4.6 40 guy without looking it up.

Edit had too look it up... 4.7... so statistically the best running back of all time was slow... lol. Can you guys imagine hogville if we offered a 4.7 rb out of hs? bahahhaha

It would depend on his tape. Plenty of good RB's in the 4.6-4.7 range. Very, very, very few backs that were much good slower than 4.7, and a heckuva lot more good backs that ran in the 4.5's or faster. It's like hitting a bullsey while blindfolded and on horseback. Definitely possible to be done, but very rarely will it work. Much better off being stationary on the ground.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on August 16, 2017, 05:59:01 pm

I think that while there are certain limits for each position, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 numbers are more important for Slot's/WR's who are often running free. There have been really good RB's who never saw a 4.4 or 4.5-40 yard time that either had a combination of quickness and shiftiness that gave them the ability to make people completely miss or created glancing blows, that allowed them to break away or gain extra yardage on runs. Barry Sanders was one elusive SOB, like trying to wrap your hands around a super-genetic-firefly. He is there one moment and the next he is a yard away and out of arms reach. Tended to make tacklers look silly at times. Joe Washington and Greg Pruitt at Oklahoma were similar RB's in their time, but not as elusive as Sanders. Same with Johnny Rodgers at Nebraska, doggone hard to tackle. Felix Jones was like that to some extent and so was McFadden.

Speaking of quick and elusive, just take a look back at Joe Adams punt return vs. Tennessee. You want to talk about embarrassing your opponent? He was greased lightning on that return. No one could get a handle.

It would be great to have a guy with the burst of speed, the shifting into another gear when he sees an opening, being able to pull away from defenders, but I'd be very happy to have 3-4 guys who can run tough inside and outside and when they see the opening, pick up 20 to 30 to 40 yards each time, even if they don't break the big TD run all the time. It's demoralizing to an opponent either way. I think we have those kinds of players in our RB depth right now.
Go Hogs Go!

tbhogfan

David Williams is an experienced SEC running back who has yet to live up to his potential.   Against SEC competition, his yards per carry is pretty low, and he typically has one good run where he gains most of his yardage.  Against Florida last year, he had one carry for 9 yards, and six other carries for a total of 11 (1.2 per carry on his non big runs). 

Against the same Florida team, Whaley had one carry for 16 yards and 13 others for a total of 50 yards (3.8 per carry on non big runs).

Hopefully, a change of scenery will benefit Williams, but his stats show me a runner who either gets a big run or gets stuffed at the line in his three year SEC career.  I'm rooting for him, but certainly not counting on him.
Go Hogs!

AirWarren

Quote from: tbhogfan on August 17, 2017, 09:51:16 am
David Williams is an experienced SEC running back who has yet to live up to his potential.   Against SEC competition, his yards per carry is pretty low, and he typically has one good run where he gains most of his yardage.  Against Florida last year, he had one carry for 9 yards, and six other carries for a total of 11 (1.2 per carry on his non big runs). 

Against the same Florida team, Whaley had one carry for 16 yards and 13 others for a total of 50 yards (3.8 per carry on non big runs).

Hopefully, a change of scenery will benefit Williams, but his stats show me a runner who either gets a big run or gets stuffed at the line in his three year SEC career.  I'm rooting for him, but certainly not counting on him.

Too many facts here for this forum.

tophawg19

Quote from: AP85 on August 17, 2017, 10:03:02 am
facts not applicable because of different teams , O-lines and match ups . That's like comparing the Hogs Vs Florida , play that game 5 times and the results would differ each time . each game and each day as well as conditions makes a difference
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

August 17, 2017, 10:43:43 am #49 Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:24:02 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: AP85 on August 17, 2017, 10:03:02 am

Here's another fact for you, S. Carolina's O-Line was the worst in the SEC last year in terms of allowing 41 Sacks and next to last in allowing 102 Tackles For Loss which all contributed to their Total Offensive ranking of #115 in the country. I'm sure that didn't help a RB especially when you were a Spurrier recruit and Muschamp was building for the future.
Go Hogs Go!