Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What did you grill/Smoke this week???

Started by BR, July 15, 2012, 08:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 30, 2012, 07:15:58 pm
Joe, you dropped some cash on that little cookout.

Those shrimp, corn on the cob and king crab looks good.  May have to try that this weekend.
thanks brother.. I appreciate that coming from a man that knows his food...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Boarcephus

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on December 30, 2012, 07:48:11 pm
thanks brother.. I appreciate that coming from a man that knows his food...

LOL!! 

My man, we enjoy the finer things in life!  I know those king crabs and big shrimp are in the $20 a pound range.  If I can't go first class I'm not going and I get the impression, based on your photos, you feel the same way.

How did you do your king crab?  I've baked then in the oven, smoked them on the egg but never boiled them.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 30, 2012, 07:57:38 pm
LOL!! 

My man, we enjoy the finer things in life!  I know those king crabs and big shrimp are in the $20 a pound range.  If I can't go first class I'm not going and I get the impression, based on your photos, you feel the same way.

How did you do your king crab?  I've baked then in the oven, smoked them on the egg but never boiled them.
cooked them in a low country boil pot.. I have 3 60qt cookers.. We fed about 12 adults and 7 kids... My 3 grandsons think Cajun seasoning is like pepper.  They love it.. Smoked the Prime Rib for 5 hours..  Tomorrow night for nye doing Burnt Ends &. Pork loin.. Plus have the Black eyed peas, ham hocks, fried taters, cornbread and greens ready for New Years Day.. I won't be around here much any more, a lot of the guys have left.. 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on December 25, 2012, 07:46:51 pm

Keep it coming Joe, I am enjoying seeing your food and I all learning to be a year around grilled!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

Grilled Chicken marinated overnight in Italian dressing with water and Apple cider vinegar and spices. I then dusted them with my homemade spice mix and the wife loved it. The Italian marinade kept the Breast juicy.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Tim Harris

I've got a rack of spare ribs and 2 tritips on the smoker right now.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 05, 2013, 02:29:13 pm
I've got a rack of spare ribs and 2 tritips on the smoker right now.

Yum yum I have not been sure enough of my skills to try ribs and tri tips yet.

Boarcephus

This was lunch today, not too shabby!

[attachment deleted by admin]
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Tim Harris

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 06, 2013, 02:33:36 pm
Yum yum I have not been sure enough of my skills to try ribs and tri tips yet.

Just find them on sale and give it a shot. Even if they don't turn out perfect you will still enjoy them.

DeltaBoy

Thanks Tim and I cooked 6 pork chops and 4 chicken tenders today!

DeltaBoy

Not a dang gum thing is was too cold , windy and wet.   I got to get me a smoke house to grill in.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 14, 2013, 01:38:00 pm
Not a dang gum thing is was too cold , windy and wet.   I got to get me a smoke house to grill in.

I manned up and did it anyway!  Didn't take long though... ;)

found these on sale at Fresh Market..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tim Harris

I'm hoping the weather is nice this weekend. I'm really wanting to fire up the smoker.

ImHogginIt

Sowing and sleeting outside right now. Should clear off in a few hours. Plan on firing up the smoker late morning to do some ribs and pork tenderloins

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 14, 2013, 05:23:34 pm

looks tasty

rcopela

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 14, 2013, 05:23:34 pm

Love the Fresh Market, find myself going up there from Fayetteville 2 to 3 times a month..

Boarcephus

Quote from: rcopela on January 15, 2013, 07:48:54 am
Love the Fresh Market, find myself going up there from Fayetteville 2 to 3 times a month..

Good thing we live in Fayetteville and not closer.  Went in looking to buy the porterhouses and walked out with those plus ground chuck, a pound and a half of the best looking turkey bacon I've ever seen, plus a couple chicken cordon bleus and some aspragus and crab stuffed chicken breat we'll try tonight.

DeltaBoy

Good looking Steaks Boarcephus.  This weekend looking good and I going to try and grill Fri-Sun since it is payday weekend.

Boog41

Boar, I know all about the fresh market, but have never purchased from them. Just curious if you have ever tried beef from Dime's in Springdale. I'm wondering how you think they compare??

Tim Harris

I'm already planning the smoke for this weekend.  So far I know I will be doing spare ribs and whole chickens.  Who knows what else I will throw on there once I get it fired up.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on January 15, 2013, 08:53:36 pm
Boar, I know all about the fresh market, but have never purchased from them. Just curious if you have ever tried beef from Dime's in Springdale. I'm wondering how you think they compare??

We've bought from Dimes in the past, and they have some of the nicest people in the world working there, but to me it just comes down to whether the product they sell, at the price they charge, is better than what I can buy at FM.  To us, there's just not that much different in quality but a big difference in price.

You saw the pictures I posted.  Those were two porterhouse cuts, a little over 1 3/4 pound each, good marbling and I spent $35 and some change on both of them.  Not sure you could touch that at Richards or Dimes for that price.  JMO.

jacobp

You're definitely right there. Just one of those Porterhouses would have run you close to $30 at Richard's.

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 16, 2013, 07:18:51 am
We've bought from Dimes in the past, and they have some of the nicest people in the world working there, but to me it just comes down to whether the product they sell, at the price they charge, is better than what I can buy at FM.  To us, there's just not that much different in quality but a big difference in price.

You saw the pictures I posted.  Those were two porterhouse cuts, a little over 1 3/4 pound each, good marbling and I spent $35 and some change on both of them.  Not sure you could touch that at Richards or Dimes for that price.  JMO.

I will definitely give FM a try then next time I'm in Rogers. Thx

Tim Harris

January 16, 2013, 07:39:00 pm #124 Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:51:02 pm by Tim Harris
I braved the cold to grill a couple steaks tonight. Didn't think to take a picture until I was about half way done.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on January 16, 2013, 07:36:37 pm
I will definitely give FM a try then next time I'm in Rogers. Thx

Keep in mind that the specials change from week to week. Last week it was the porterhouses I think this week is the pork tenderloins.  You can check their website to see what's going on.  Either way, go up, browse through the meat case and tell me what you think.   I think you'll like itl.

old hog

Not grilling/smoking, but making this delicious Zuppa Toscana. (Potato soup)

Italian sausage (I like mild sausage)
2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup bacon bit or chopped bacon
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups kale or 2 cups swiss chard, chopped
2 (8 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 quart water
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions:

Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces.
Brown sausage in your soup pot.
Add chicken broth and water to pot and stir.
Place onions, potatoes, and garlic in a separate pot.
Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
Add sausage and bacon.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer for another 10 minutes.
Turn to low heat.
Add kale and cream.
Heat through and serve with hot garlic breadsticks. Enjoy.

DeltaBoy

Tim Harris

Got the chicken in the brine and the ribs waiting on their rub. Both will go on the smoker in the morning.

Boog41

Turkey burgers! All white breast meat basted with KC Masterpiece. I've grown to the point that I like them as much as a good beef burger.

DeltaBoy

6 Chicken tenders and 4 hamburgers. Marinaded with Bird and the burgers Dave's butt rub, salt , granulated garlic , onion power and Red Pepper flakes.

iluvmyslute89

Just threw a good ole' mexican meat loaf in the oven

1 lb. ground chuck
1 package taco seasoning
99 cent bag of sour cream and onion lays chips, ground
salt and pepper to taste
top with basil. bake in pre oiled pan at 350. when it begins to bubble top with  ketchup, salsa or hotsauce to the and allow to glaze for 5-10 mins. remove from oven and serve with tortilla chips.

also tastes great sliced and wrapped in a tortilla with shredded cheese

Boog41

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 20, 2013, 09:10:28 pm
6 Chicken tenders and 4 hamburgers. Marinaded with Bird and the burgers Dave's butt rub, salt , granulated garlic , onion power and Red Pepper flakes.

Delta, next time you have potato salad, try sprinkling some of that butt rub on the top of it like you would salt. Good stuff!

Boog41

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 20, 2013, 09:23:45 pm

1 lb. ground chuck
1 package taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
top with basil. bake in pre oiled pan at 350. when it begins to bubble top with  ketchup, salsa or hotsauce to the and allow to glaze for 5-10 mins. remove from oven and serve with tortilla chips.

Pig, that sounds great. I'm gonna be trying this before long. Thanks!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boog41 on January 21, 2013, 09:04:31 am
Delta, next time you have potato salad, try sprinkling some of that butt rub on the top of it like you would salt. Good stuff!

I'll give it a try but the girls at my HEB make the perfect Mustard based Tater salad so I buy it 2 to 3 times a month in the 1 pound tub.

nwahogs

Quote from: Boog41 on January 21, 2013, 09:04:31 am

I use the rub on my eggs in the morning.

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Boog41 on January 21, 2013, 09:05:23 am
Pig, that sounds great. I'm gonna be trying this before long. Thanks!
hey it aint bad. if you leave out the taco seasoning and double down on salt and basil it almost tastes like chicken. almost

Boog41

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 21, 2013, 08:24:24 pm
hey it aint bad. if you leave out the taco seasoning and double down on salt and basil it almost tastes like chicken. almost

I was actually thinking about trying it with ground turkey!

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Boog41 on January 21, 2013, 09:31:46 pm
I was actually thinking about trying it with ground turkey!
sounds tasty, let me know how it works out!

Boog41

Quote from: nwahogs on January 21, 2013, 08:13:36 pm
I use the rub on my eggs in the morning.

I will give that a try next time I have eggs. Wish I'd known yesterday. I had eggs and bacon for lunch.

Boog41

Quote from: Boog41 on January 22, 2013, 08:46:02 am
I will give that a try next time I have eggs. Wish I'd known yesterday. I had eggs and bacon for lunch.

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 21, 2013, 10:10:07 pm
sounds tasty, let me know how it works out!

Will do.

DeltaBoy

Daves is a winner on pork chops.

Boog41

DeltaBoy

January 22, 2013, 03:17:23 pm #143 Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:15:06 pm by DeltaBoy
It call Famous Dave's Butt Rub and I got it at my Krogers Store here in TX.

http://www.famousbbqstore.com/10756.html

Boog41

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 22, 2013, 03:17:23 pm
It call Dave's Butt Rub and I got it at my Krogers Store here in TX.

OK.....thx.... I'll have a look around and see if I can find any here in NWA.

DeltaBoy

It is good on every thing I tryed it with.

Boog41

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 20, 2013, 09:23:45 pm

1 lb. ground chuck
1 package taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Hey Pig, how long does this typically need to cook at 350 before it starts to bubble??

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Boog41 on January 24, 2013, 03:51:02 pm
Hey Pig, how long does this typically need to cook at 350 before it starts to bubble??
about 25 minutes. by bubble i mean you will see the juices running, and their will be somewhite bubbles(as me does when  its done cooking) let me know how it turns out!

old hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 23, 2013, 01:15:56 pm
It is good on every thing I tryed it with.
Gonna pick up some this weekend...

Boog41

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 24, 2013, 03:52:21 pm
about 25 minutes. by bubble i mean you will see the juices running, and their will be somewhite bubbles(as me does when  its done cooking) let me know how it turns out!

OK Pig, here is my review! I did have a couple of twists though.

This meatloaf was super easy to make. I did change out the beef for 85/15 turkey meat. I couldn't find a 99 cent bag of sour cream/onion chips, so I got a $1.49 bag. (damn, I hope you didn't get yours on sale. My lady friend got quite a chuckle out of this instead of you just saying how many ounces to use) I also added about 1/3 cup of diced yellow onion, average size onion. I cooked the concoction for 35 minutes and then added 1/4 cup of ketchup to glace. Cooked 10 minutes longer and served over baked tortilla chips.

Twas damn good and resonably healthy!!!! I WILL be making this again. Thanks much.