Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First NCAA basketball practice moves to late September

Started by jbcarol, May 03, 2013, 02:10:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 16m
If you haven't seen it yet, NCAA announced today first basketball practices will move up two weeks to beginning of October.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Now, teams can begin practicing on September 27th, six weeks before the season opens on November 8th. During that period, they'll be allowed to practice 30 times, the same number as before, but it will allow for more flexibility with scheduling.

The NCAA also eliminated the requirement that teams' first practice begin no earlier than 5 p.m, which opens up the possibility of "Midnight Madness" festivities actually happening at midnight if the team desires...

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=132767

dsims2k3

NCAA OKs rule to move up start of practice/Midnight Madness to start earlier

Midnight Madness will begin earlier than usual this fall after the NCAA's Legislative Council approved a new rule.

Teams can now hold their first practice two weeks earlier than before, following an April rule change that allows teams to have 30 days of practice in the six weeks before the first regular-season game.

Another adopted change eliminates the starting time for the first permissible workouts. Previously, teams are not allowed to begin until 5 p.m. on the Friday closest to Oct. 15. The new rule allows schools to make their own judgment about the starting time when practice begins.

The board also made two significant changes -- voting to keep the sliding scale between test scores and GPA in the 16 core high school courses indefinitely and changing how that GPA is calculated.

The new rule, set to take effect in the fall of 2016, requires incoming freshmen to have a 2.3 GPA in those core courses to be eligible. To help phase in the new policies, board members agreed to use a sliding scale temporarily. And those GPAs will now be based on the 16 best grades in math, science, English and other courses, rather than including every score if the student completes more than 16 core courses.

Walter Harrison, president at the University of Hartford and chairman of the committee on academic performance, explained the changes were needed to limit the impact on student-athletes coming from low-resource high schools or those who would scare off coaches because they were too close to the borderline.

"I'm concerned about minority students who would be affected by the dramatic change to the sliding scale," Harrison said. "The new 930 APR (Academic Progress Rate) benchmark required for postseason competition is impacting coaches' recruiting decisions. These changes and the action the board took today to strengthen the high school core GPA calculation will make the positive effects even more dramatic."

The board didn't just talk about rules, either.

It formally approved the application of the reformed Big East to become a multisport league, acknowledged the name change of the old Big East to the American Athletic Conference and promised to keep both actively engaged in the governance structure.

In addition, the board approved a measure to allow any Football Bowl Subdivision team that goes into a conference championship game with a 6-6 mark to be eligible for postseason play -- regardless of whether it wins or loses the title game. UCLA and Georgia Tech both had to apply for waivers after losing in the title game to fall to 6-7. The new rule eliminates the need for those teams to seek a waiver.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9240169/ncaa-oks-rule-move-start-practice
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Smithian

That means more practice right? That would be helpful in college basketball.

Or does this mean a long practice period but some amount of time on court?

UNCLE BACK

So does practice start earlier this upcoming year or, like the GPA rule not till 2016?