Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs lead SEC with 40 players on the Honor Roll

Started by scruf, February 09, 2016, 12:50:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scruf

This is a great recruiting plug for parents and students. GHG!

"I'm pleased to report that in the recently released SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll, the University of Arkansas led the SEC with 40 football student-athletes recognized for achieving a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better in the fall 2015 semester. Alabama was second with 36 football student-athletes while Vanderbilt ranked third with 33 honor roll members."

- Jeff Long

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/leading-the-sec/

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

COCHISE

tusksincolorado

Absolutely OUTSTANDING! I believe that is 35% of the total football team with a 3.+ GPA!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

hogsfan31

That is a pretty awesome and impressive number.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hawgar The Horrible

Could have used that info a week ago, but impressive indeed.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on February 09, 2016, 01:20:55 pm
Could have used that info a week ago, but impressive indeed.

The info that we finished #1, or the overall grades? The grades have been out for awhile.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2016, 01:23:19 pm
The info that we finished #1, or the overall grades? The grades have been out for awhile.

Finished #1. Not a BIG deal, but it would have made for a nice tidbit for the parents.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on February 09, 2016, 01:34:14 pm
Finished #1. Not a BIG deal, but it would have made for a nice tidbit for the parents.

They knew our accomplishments, that I'm sure of.

jjdlc

That is the kind of stat that helps get parents on board during recruiting.  Way to go hogs!

jesterzzn

I'd like to see what the weighted GPA when difficulty of major is factored in.  But regardless, its an awesome accomplishment for the program.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: jjdlc on February 09, 2016, 02:02:53 pm
That is the kind of stat that helps get parents on board during recruiting.  Way to go hogs!

I would certainly think so as well.  While not a sexy stat, it should verify BB's commitment to getting the players in class and doing their homework.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

jgphillips3

This is not going to change the mind of a "business decision" parent but it will definitely influence the parents of the kind of kids we really want.

HOGINTENNESSEE

This is great news. Hopefully this helps lead our former ath to great success after football.

LSUFan

Arkansas universities are very much focused on the academic success of the student athlete.

When I was at Arkansas Tech there were four football players who were Engineering Majors that I went to class with for about two years.

The were required to get 8 hours of university provided tutoring each week. Needless to say, they were some of the top performers in the engineering school.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

zane

Who gives a darn. Does this really matter when we are only winning 6 games a season?

/sarcasm

Seriously though, this is a nice feather in the University's cap.
RIP LSUfan

Cinco de Hogo

I'm a big amateur athletics guy so this is great news to me.  I hate it that it's a fact some young men and their parents, guardians, advisers would actually see this as a negative.  As someone already said we see too many "business decisions" made simply based on taking the easiest and quickest route to the pros.

scorekeeper

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 09, 2016, 03:08:56 pm
I'm a big amateur athletics guy so this is great news to me.  I hate it that it's a fact some young men and their parents, guardians, advisers would actually see this as a negative.  As someone already said we see too many "business decisions" made simply based on taking the easiest and quickest route to the pros.
I understand your point but if your kid is good enough to get an Engineering degree from Stanford would you persuade them to go to The University of Memphis for an Engineering degree?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 09, 2016, 03:40:05 pm
I understand your point but if your kid is good enough to get an Engineering degree from Stanford would you persuade them to go to The University of Memphis for an Engineering degree?

Well we are not talking about me but I would choose Stanford for both if those were the choices. 😊

scorekeeper

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 09, 2016, 03:48:56 pm
Well we are not talking about me but I would choose Stanford for both if those were the choices. 😊

Yeah Memphis was a bad example. :D

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 09, 2016, 03:40:05 pm
Not sure if the OP meant it in that exact way. Sure, I think most parents who likely steer their kids to a Ivy League or other university like Stanford if given the chance. However, unless the student has the financial ability or something like a scholarship to help defray most, if not all, of the expenses then it often does come down to a "business decision". I know my folks couldn't have afforded to send me to some elite school even though they worked and saved to help put me through college.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 09, 2016, 04:15:48 pm
Not sure if the OP meant it in at exact way. Sure, I think most parents who likely steer their kids to a Ivy League or other university like Stanford if given the chance. However, unless the student has the financial ability or something like a scholarship to help defray most, if not all, of the expenses then it often does come down to a "business decision". I know my folks couldn't have afforded to send me to some elite school even thought they worked and saved to help put me through college.

Yea but I think we were talking about a kid on a football scholarship.

Deep Shoat

Research has shown that there is very little, if any, improvement in earning outcomes with a degree from a "premier" school over a state supported university.

Honestly, having a degree and being a good interview have a lot more to do with starting salary, and hard work and dedication handle the rest.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

That doesn't mean I'm not proud of our team.  I was simply refuting the Stanford vs Memphis point.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Uncommon

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 09, 2016, 04:23:29 pm
That doesn't mean I'm not proud of our team.  I was simply refuting the Stanford vs Memphis point.
Well I think we should ALL be immensely proud of the standing of our athletes. We all know that one of the cornerstones of Bret's #uncommon theme is that he wants his players to achieve in the classroom even before they do so on the field. The proof of that has been the temporary "dog house" status that various guys have been in when it came to missing classes and not keeping their grades up. Of course that doesn't even take into consideration the kids who've been "invited" to leave the premises because they weren't serious about their studies.

One other thing: we know that Vandy has a strong reputation pretty much around the country concerning its academics. And while I won't claim that the U of A is on the same level in all areas of study, in many I believe we are  either equal or close to them. To have 40 of our guys with 3 points or better is a tremendous achievement no matter who you are.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 09, 2016, 04:22:36 pm
Research has shown that there is very little, if any, improvement in earning outcomes with a degree from a "premier" school over a state supported university.

Honestly, having a degree and being a good interview have a lot more to do with starting salary, and hard work and dedication handle the rest.

You know what they call the guy who got his medical degree from the University of Arkansas?

Doctor.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 09, 2016, 04:22:36 pm

I saw an article about this many years ago in either Newsweek or U.S. News & W.R.
You are basically right.  Seems like it showing that the prestigious school helped get a slightly better paying job out of the gate, but after about 10 years or so what little difference there was mostly disappeared.  Been years since I read this, so the details are fuzzy.

Now factor in the additional cost of the school........Read like an unintentional indictment.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

gmarv

what cbb has been preaching is showing up and I like it a lot.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 09, 2016, 04:33:51 pm
You know what they call the guy who got his medical degree from the University of Arkansas?

Doctor.
Exactly.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 09, 2016, 04:36:44 pm
I saw an article about this many years ago in either Newsweek or U.S. News & W.R.
You are basically right.  Seems like it showing that the prestigious school helped get a slightly better paying job out of the gate, but after about 10 years or so what little difference there was mostly disappeared.  Been years since I read this, so the details are fuzzy.

Now factor in the additional cost of the school........Read like an unintentional indictment.
I believe a lot of the impact of the school's name/prestige also has to do in great part with the job and locale of employment. For instance, I dare say that very few on Wall Street in investment banking, international finance or financial analysts, hedge funds. etc. come from anywhere but Ivy League or others such as Stanford, Wharton School of Business (Philadelphia) etc.  I suspect the same would go for Wall Street as well as other major city law practices, particularly those concentrating in business law, merger/acquisitions, tax laws, and general (large corporate) litigation. Seems that many of these firms are part of the "good old boy" or "old school tie" networks where it's not only WHAT you know, but WHO. In this case the contacts one has made at school are really used to gain entry into the true "nose bleed" heights of corporate AmericA.

BTW even with the above your success still isn't guaranteed. It still comes back to the individual(s) involved. I saw it first hand while in the investment business. Had one fellow financial advisor who was a graduate of Harvard; the other was a graduate of USCw. When it came to analyzing reports and being able to actually apply the information to help clients these guys were totally lost, had nary a clue! With both being business majors from such high academic places I've often wandered what the heck these two clowns did or who they knew to actually earn their degrees. 

hollywood hog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on February 09, 2016, 01:34:14 pm

Muddbone don't take kindly to those with a 3rd grade reading level or higher. 

JIHawg

Impressive.  The kind of thread that makes the trolls squat down in the sewer.

scorekeeper

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 09, 2016, 04:15:48 pm
Not sure if the OP meant it in that exact way. Sure, I think most parents who likely steer their kids to a Ivy League or other university like Stanford if given the chance. However, unless the student has the financial ability or something like a scholarship to help defray most, if not all, of the expenses then it often does come down to a "business decision". I know my folks couldn't have afforded to send me to some elite school even though they worked and saved to help put me through college.
I didn't compare it well but I was basically comparing how a kid that chooses a school based on academics is no different than a kid that picks a school based on football. It all comes down to a choice we should knock either choice.

I am proud of the hogs for their accomplishments.

longpig

Quote from: COCHISE on February 09, 2016, 12:54:57 pm
Suck it Vandy!!!!   ;D

THAZZZZ RITE!  Who's the token smaht kid school now, Commies?
Don't be scared, be smart.

al2305

Quote from: COCHISE on February 09, 2016, 12:54:57 pm
Suck it Vandy!!!!   ;D

I'm glad we came in first but I imagine it's a little tougher to make the honor roll at Vandy than UofA.  Just a guess

DukeOfPork

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 09, 2016, 02:20:00 pm
This is not going to change the mind of a "business decision" parent but it will definitely influence the parents of the kind of kids we really want.

That's an excellent point. 

Every school thinks that they are getting good, hardworking kids that are doing things the "right way".  But based on how infrequently Arkansas players get into trouble with the law and how we are now leading the SEC in number of players on the honor roll, I think that the proof is in the pudding.

There is quantifiable evidence that Bielema has recruited high character kids that are doing it the right way.  Maybe they are, in fact, #Uncommon afterall.

jimhog

Outstanding. Congratulations to all those players who achieved the good grades.

Hawginj