Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Singleton to Indianapolis Colts

Started by Trey1981, February 05, 2016, 01:57:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

regi

Call Dameyan Craig, make him Ass HC and recruiting Coordinator. The guy speaks the language, these kids and Southern families. Understand. You are welcome CBB. And please, no more yankee Big10 hires. We have met our wuota.

COCHISE

As long as we run the ball as effectively as we do and put out some of the nations top RB's year in and year out, this is going to happen. CBB's system/philosophy makes RB and OL coaches look really good.

longpig

Quote from: pigroots on February 05, 2016, 02:41:08 pm
Do colleges not pay as well as the pros? It speaks to the quality CBB hires but it'd be nice to keep a guy 3-4 years for stability in recruiting

about the same for position coaches
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: regi on February 05, 2016, 02:52:20 pm
In my opinion, rb coaches only worth, is recruiting. It is the easiest position to coach, to maybe your best athletes. Go get a recruiter. A dog recruiter, that guy that other staffs fear when you arevup against him.

this is the truth. easiest position coach there is.

Hambunctious

Quote from: AP85 on February 05, 2016, 02:35:36 pm
We are a stepping stone job. Plain and simple.

My goodness. Let us have one intact full season with no coaches leaving, injuries etc. It's getting old!

Wait, are you saying that any other RB coach in the SEC wouldn't take a NFL job?
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hambunctious on February 05, 2016, 03:04:25 pm
Wait, are you saying that any other RB coach in the SEC wouldn't take a NFL job?
fact is, the NFL is like the SEC's little brother.

"In 2014, operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) averaged $76 million for the league's 32 teams,"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2015/09/14/the-most-valuable-teams-in-the-nfl/#469285e8326f

Here is how the SEC programs stack up in the conference and nationally:

1. Alabama: $153,234,273 (4th nationally)
2. LSU: $133,679,256 (6th nationally)
3. Florida: $124,611,305 (9th nationally)
4. Texas A&M: $119,475,872 (10th nationally)
5. Auburn: $113,716,004 (13th nationally)
6. Tennessee: $107,499,732 (14th nationally)
7. Georgia: $103,495,587 (19th nationally)
8. South Carolina: $98,619,479 (22nd nationally)
9. Arkansas: $96,793,972 (24th nationally)
10. Kentucky: $96,685,489 (25th nationally)
11. Missouri: $83,718,587 (32nd nationally)
12. Ole Miss: $75,849,000 (38th nationally)
13. Mississippi State: $62,275,111 (51st nationally)

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-athletic-revenue-2014/
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

longpig

In my opinion, rb coaches only worth, is recruiting. It is the easiest position to coach, to maybe your best athletes. Go get a recruiter. A dog recruiter, that guy that other staffs fear when you arevup against him.

You mean like Tim Horton?  ;)
Don't be scared, be smart.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

HOGINTENNESSEE

That's CBB's 4 RB to get an NFL job. People will be lining up for this job

ricepig

Just when you think it's safe to drop FootballScoop and Coachingsearch from your follow list on twitter, it rears it's head. At least now I can drop Singleton.

SamBuckhart

Good luck, Coach Sings! Love the Colts since 1965.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 03:12:51 pm
Just when you think it's safe to drop FootballScoop and Coachingsearch from your follow list on twitter, it rears it's head. At least now I can drop Singleton.

Lol.

There was that one poster in Dec that said Texas Tech was pushing hard for Hargreaves. I find that interesting at TT still has one defensive position open and Hargreaves buyout drops a lot after the 15th.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I mean if Danny Nutt could do it.  Am I right?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

online-with-swine

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 05, 2016, 03:17:44 pm
Lol.

There was that one poster in Dec that said Texas Tech was pushing hard for Hargreaves. I find that interesting at TT still has one defensive position open and Hargreaves buyout drops a lot after the 15th.

Who would want to be a defensive coach at TTech?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 05, 2016, 03:04:39 pm

"In 2014, operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) averaged $76 million for the league's 32 teams,"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2015/09/14/the-most-valuable-teams-in-the-nfl/#469285e8326f

The NFL spends more on their coaches it's a step up

JackJohnson

Quote from: online-with-swine on February 05, 2016, 03:20:26 pm

being a defensive coach at TT > being unemployed

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: online-with-swine on February 05, 2016, 03:20:26 pm

Probably nobody but Hargreaves has a lot of friends in that staff from his days USF and Houston. Just find it odd

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 05, 2016, 03:04:39 pm

"In 2014, operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) averaged $76 million for the league’s 32 teams,"

Apples to Horses.

NFL is Earnings after expenses but before taxes.  So the NFL number has already had operating expenses, salaries etc taken out.  The only expenses not deducted are taxes and depreciation.

SEC's is Gross revenue.  No expenses have been deducted from that number such as coaches salaries, travel expenses, support staff expenses, and tuition/fees/food expenses for the players.  That is why the SEC's is just called revenue.  Once you deduct those expenses the SEC's number would be below NFL, except maybe Alabama.  Depends on how many staffers they are paying.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 05, 2016, 03:19:58 pm
I mean if Danny Nutt could do it.  Am I right?

Well, the previous two signed as many recruits......

31to6

Quote from: AP85 on February 05, 2016, 02:35:36 pm
We are a stepping stone job. Plain and simple.

My goodness. Let us have one intact full season with no coaches leaving, injuries etc. It's getting old!
This was not a lateral move, like sPittman->Joejah.

All position coaching jobs are stepping stone jobs, for most.

NFL Position coach is generally considered an upgrade from college position coach (any college), career-wise.

It is valuable if the coach wants to jump to the NFL and it is valuable if he wants to build his credentials for a position with more responsibility back in college in a couple of years.

I do echo your sentiment that it would be really nice to go two full seasons without turnover at the key positions.

Dwight_K_Shrute

passinghog

Lol @ people complaining. He flat out wasn't getting the job done as a recruiter. RB coach has to be a guy that can close in recruits. Happy he was able to find a way to land on his feet somewhere. Now we can hopefully focus on hiring a coach that's a recruiter first. RB is probably the easiest position to coach.

rustr

Amen brother. I agree. We need a recruiter that the other dudes fear.

NaturalStateReb

This kind of turnover is a mixed blessing. You want to have people that other people want to have, but it's like having the reset button hit on recruiting.  The good thing is that the next NSD is a year away, so there's time to get those relationships reestablished with a new guy.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

AirWarren

Quote from: UAfanatic on February 05, 2016, 02:44:44 pm
going to the NFL makes it a career building job, not a stepping stone

A stepping stone is going from A-state to Mississippi.

I disagree. But we all have opinions.

online-with-swine

31to6

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 05, 2016, 03:20:18 pm
being a defensive coach at TT > being unemployed
barely....

because, Lubbock....

Oklahawg

Singleton recruited a ton of RBs to OSU. Did yeoman's work with our RBs this year, imo.

He will be missed, but gets to live his dream. Now, CBB gets to upgrade again.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

rustr

Too bad Frank Wilson just took an HC job. I would pay that dude whatever he wanted.

dhizzle

I'm kind of tired of this crap cant we have two years without turnover.

PorkRinds

Quote from: dhizzle on February 05, 2016, 04:05:46 pm
I'm kind of tired of this crap cant we have two years without turnover.

Probably not.

passinghog

Quote from: Jean Lafitte on February 05, 2016, 04:04:42 pm
Too bad Frank Wilson just took an HC job. I would pay that dude whatever he wanted.

Too bad our program wouldn't though. Arkansas, despite it's financial resources, has never shown the desire to set the market in coaching salaries. We should be going $400k on this hire to get the type of recruiter we need, but we likely won't.

rustr

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 05, 2016, 04:07:27 pm
Too bad our program wouldn't though. Arkansas, despite it's financial resources, has never shown the desire to set the market in coaching salaries. We should be going $400k on this hire to get the type of recruiter we need, but we likely won't.

Spending the money required to get an elite recruiter would be the best investment we could make, imo. As you stated, we probably wont; but it sucks, because we can afford it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Jean Lafitte on February 05, 2016, 04:04:42 pm

LSU was paying him more than we were Enos

rustr

Quote from: regi on February 05, 2016, 02:56:59 pm
Call Dameyan Craig, make him Ass HC and recruiting Coordinator. The guy speaks the language, these kids and Southern families. Understand. You are welcome CBB. And please, no more yankee Big10 hires. We have met our wuota.

Agree, he's an ace recruiter and I'd love to have him. We'd probably have a fight on our hands trying to lure him from Auburn, but it would definitely be worth a shot.

ROASHE

Quote from: regi on February 05, 2016, 02:56:59 pm

Will be very difficult unless they offer him a sh*tload of money, considering he's an Auburn grad

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ROASHE on February 05, 2016, 04:23:21 pm
Will be very difficult unless they offer him a sh*tload of money, considering he's an Auburn grad

Yeah, and not all coaches are willing to sign that a non SEC compete clause. Specially if they are already in the SEC.

jgphillips3

We need another ace recruiter.  As noted previously, no position is "easier" to coach than RB.  This is a chance to upgrade.  Also, considering that the Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator are the same, I don't think this will bother Whaley.  Also, I know Singleton recruited him, but I think Jennings and his Texas connections were just as important in recruiting Whaley.  Not to mention, Whaley will be the feature back if RW3 cannot go full speed.  That eases a lot of concern I'm sure.

oldhawg

I offer my congratulations to Coach Singleton.

Sometimes providing a stepping stone job to a coach is not such a bad thing, for the coach and the school, especially if they are upward mobile.

PorkRinds

And we are assuming Whaley didn't know.  Decent chance he did know and didn't care.

MountainHomeHogger

As a huge Colts fan I am stoked for this, plus I know there scouts are all over Jonathan Williams.  They have been raving about the guy all off season already!

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 05, 2016, 04:14:59 pm
LSU was paying him more than we were Enos

Correct, he actually took a small pay cut to be HC at UTSA when you figure in bonuses.

oldhawg

Wonder if another Coach Anderson type personality is in the offering. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 04:30:12 pm
And we are assuming Whaley didn't know.  Decent chance he did know and didn't care.

Yeah. CBB is going to him and saying this is my 4 RB coach to go to the NFL. Your next coach will probably be my 5th

Rocket23

Can Ed Orgeron coach RBs? Who cares, bring him on.

searkhogfan

People are Crying because CBB hires coaches that Other teams want ??? ??? ???

The second consecutive RB coach to get hired away by an NFL Team.  I don't think he'll have any problems hiring a successor. 

elksnort

THIS^^^^

Let's not worry about this. This give an opportunity to find an even better coach/recruiter.

Heck, ASU couldn't keep a head coach for several years and it did not hurt their program.

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 05, 2016, 04:57:53 pm #98 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:57:21 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: searkhogfan on February 05, 2016, 04:43:53 pm
People are Crying because CBB hires coaches that Other teams want ??? ??? ???

The second consecutive RB coach to get hired away by an NFL Team.  I don't think he'll have any problems hiring a successor. 

Its
four in a row going to the NFL for CBB dating back to Wisconsin for RB coaches. John Settle, Thomas Hammock JT and now coach Sing

Sow Lancelot

Haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has already been asked.

Who is out there that not only would be an upgrade as a coach, but also have some good Southern connections as a recruiter?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.