Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Coach Enos work his magic before September 3

Started by staffhog, February 04, 2016, 10:02:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

I agree Sprinkle is very good. But to think he's Hunter Henry is silly. And that's a nice way to say it.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Here comes the heat I guess because many will turn this into a hate post which it isn't.

Enos will show who he is this year.
So many of you look at results and hang your hat on the easiest to point at different ingredient.  Enos walked into an offense with a very good OL, an outstanding QB, a great RB, and maybe the best TE Arkansas has ever had. Add to this a WR corps that started slow due to injuries but by midseason was as good as any crew in the SEC.

Was his playcalling good?  Definitely.  Did BA's play improve over the season?  Absolutely, and I'm sure a good amount of that was due to Enos.

But I'm not ready to anoint him the ''Magic Man'' until I see a little more product that wasn't already loaded.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 07, 2016, 06:39:16 pm
I agree Sprinkle is very good. But to think he's Hunter Henry is silly. And that's a nice way to say it.

I didn't see anywhere that anyone said we wouldn't miss Henry because Sprinkle was better. He wasn't last year and Bielema even got after him because he knows that he can be a lot more as a TE than what he has been in the past. That said, I think we will see just as much activity with the TE's and production from that position as we saw last year, it just may be more by "committee" than one single player.
Go Hogs Go!

dhizzle

The tight end position should be good to go if you keep up with recruitng. Not to min chin sprinkle is not to bad of a tight end.

LZH

I bet you Sprinkle makes all SEC this year. Maybe not first team, but he will be in the mix. He's a good one.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 07, 2016, 07:56:52 pm
I bet you Sprinkle makes all SEC this year. Maybe not first team, but he will be in the mix. He's a good one.

No doubt, he's probably more athletic than Hunter, but they'll give the TE to either Ingram or Bama's TE.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2016, 08:03:12 pm
No doubt, he's probably more athletic than Hunter, but they'll give the TE to either Ingram or Bama's TE.

I think it all depends on how many game-changing, athletic plays that he makes throughout the season. If he makes a number of key plays at key times he may get All SEC. If not, he will be overlooked regardless of the value of his stats.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Mike_e

I think that the place that we'll miss HH most is in third down production.  JS is good but HH caught virtually everything thrown his way.

One or two missed balls on third down that HH would have had will sting a little.

Where Coach Enos will earn his money is in keeping us ahead of the chains so that AA won't have to stretch too much in trying to do more than he's comfortable doing right away.

Once again we are going to have to play the ToP card to maximise wins, at least early on.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

ALLVOL

Hunter Henry is one of the best TE we've seen in decades. JS is a really good player but he doesn't even come close to Henry.
Teams built their defenses around Henry. That's so rare with a TE. Hogs will be fine at TE but they will miss Henry.

nwahogfan1

I remember reading that Coach Enos record his first year after taking over a program with a senior QB was very good.    But if I remember right his record in the 2nd year with a new/inexperienced QB was around 50%.  I know there is a lot more pieces to consider than the QB to win but that is a good place to start.

Trying to be optimistic, I think  we can get to our 8+ wins next year but for that to happen our Defense has to carry a much bigger role.  I just don't see our offense particularly a new QB with very little experience winning games in the 4th quarter like last year. 

So my hopes for our Defense next year is hold teams under 25 ppg.  I think for this to happen we need our deep and experience DL to have a good pass rush so we can take pressure off our average DBs.  Also our defense need to keep opposing teams rushing averages under 125 ypg and passing totals under 275 ypg.

PorkRinds

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 08, 2016, 10:00:36 am
I remember reading that Coach Enos record his first year after taking over a program with a senior QB was very good.    But if I remember right his record in the 2nd year with a new/inexperienced QB was around 50%.  I know there is a lot more pieces to consider than the QB to win but that is a good place to start.

Trying to be optimistic, I think  we can get to our 8+ wins next year but for that to happen our Defense has to carry a much bigger role.  I just don't see our offense particularly a new QB with very little experience winning games in the 4th quarter like last year. 

So my hopes for our Defense next year is hold teams under 25 ppg.  I think for this to happen we need our deep and experience DL to have a good pass rush so we can take pressure off our average DBs.  Also our defense need to keep opposing teams rushing averages under 125 ypg and passing totals under 275 ypg.

That whole paragraph is completely incorrect. 

mitchforheisman

HH is obviously an incredible player, but Jeremy Spinkles stat line (I know its not all about stat lines) is pretty impressive in a TE #2 role.

HH in 2015 - 51 Receptions for 739. Averaging 14.5. Long was 51 and accounted for 3 TD's.
JS in 2015 - 27 Receptions for 389 yards. Averaging 14.4. Longest was 42 and accounted for 6 TD's.

ALLVOL

Quote from: mitchforheisman on February 08, 2016, 02:04:27 pm
HH is obviously an incredible player, but Jeremy Spinkles stat line (I know its not all about stat lines) is pretty impressive in a TE #2 role.

HH in 2015 - 51 Receptions for 739. Averaging 14.5. Long was 51 and accounted for 3 TD's.
JS in 2015 - 27 Receptions for 389 yards. Averaging 14.4. Longest was 42 and accounted for 6 TD's.
I never said Sprinkle wasn't good. But he isn't even close to being the same Talent as Henry. And having Henry on the other side opened up a lot of those opportunities for Sprinkle. I think JS will have a solid year but I don't see him being an All American and I don't think defenses will scheme around him. Hunter Henry is one of the best college TE's I've ever seen. He will be an impact player in NFL next year.

010HogFan

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 08, 2016, 02:18:58 pm
I never said Sprinkle wasn't good. But he isn't even close to being the same Talent as Henry. And having Henry on the other side opened up a lot of those opportunities for Sprinkle. I think JS will have a solid year but I don't see him being an All American and I don't think defenses will scheme around him. Hunter Henry is one of the best college TE's I've ever seen. He will be an impact player in NFL next year.

I don't know...Sprinkle probably has a higher ceiling than HH because of how athletic he is. He may blow up big time this year now that he is the guy. I'd say they are very similar in terms of overall talent.

mitchforheisman

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 08, 2016, 02:18:58 pm

Well his numbers disagree, he was on pace to have the same production as HH, and triple the amount of TD's.

ALLVOL

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 08, 2016, 02:26:15 pm
I don't know...Sprinkle probably has a higher ceiling than HH because of how athletic he is. He may blow up big time this year now that he is the guy. I'd say they are very similar in terms of overall talent.
I hope you're right. But I don't think he's anywhere near the talent Henry is.

010HogFan

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 08, 2016, 04:03:42 pm
I hope you're right. But I don't think he's anywhere near the talent Henry is.

I'm just curious what you see in Henry that Sprinkle hasn't shown he is capable of? Are you just saying that because he gets more love from broadcasters by virtue of being the starter? Both are big targets with great hands that can split out wide or come off the line as a threat in play-action...I would probably give the edge in speed to Sprinkle by a little bit. I'm a big Hunter Henry fan, but with that said, I don't really think there's much dropoff in talent between him and Sprinkle...which is a very positive thing for us next season.

SemperHawg

Enos or not, this is still a Bielema cultured offense.  The success will be predicated on how quickly/effectively we replenish the running game.  O Line continuity and new RB's will have a much bigger say in our success than whomever Enos is working with at QB. 

When the running game is doing what Coach B wants it to, we really only need a QB to keep the D honest, and make a read to beat a defense deep when they over commit to the run.  See Ole Miss this year.

woodrow hog call

The more guys you can put into the passing game that go about 6'5", and 250 lbs, and can run with most any Free Safety, the better your odds of having one of them get open on a semi regular basis.

When you can run two of those out there all of the time, three of them some of the time, you have a match up advantage over anybody's defense.

The question then does become, (1) can your QB find the best match up out there? and (2) can he get the ball to right guy at the right time?

To me the biggest question with the offense is, how soon can the #1 QB get a handle on a large enough % of the playbook/game plan, to where Enos is comfortable with letting him run it.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

ALLVOL

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 08, 2016, 04:35:39 pm
I'm just curious what you see in Henry that Sprinkle hasn't shown he is capable of? Are you just saying that because he gets more love from broadcasters by virtue of being the starter? Both are big targets with great hands that can split out wide or come off the line as a threat in play-action...I would probably give the edge in speed to Sprinkle by a little bit. I'm a big Hunter Henry fan, but with that said, I don't really think there's much dropoff in talent between him and Sprinkle...which is a very positive thing for us next season.
They don't hand out All American accolades to a guy just because broadcasters like him. Hunter is the best TE I've seen in college in decades. He does have better hands, runs better routes and is a great blocker too.

duckman

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 08, 2016, 05:10:43 pm
They don't hand out All American accolades to a guy just because broadcasters like him. Hunter is the best TE I've seen in college in decades. He does have better hands, runs better routes and is a great blocker too.

Henry and Sprinkle with both play on Sundays.....

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 08, 2016, 04:35:39 pm

97% catch rate on 3rd downs. These catches either go for first down or TDs. That is going to be hard for Sprink to match.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PorkSoda

Quote from: IAMHogholio on February 05, 2016, 12:42:53 am
I'm a little wary of our rushing attack in SEC play.  Alex Collins is a really special player, we will miss his abilities in the backfield.   Just can't expect that same performance out of any of the guys available.   
no doubt, numerous times he turned a 2 yard loss into a 2 yard gain. 

not nearly as easy as it sounds.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 08, 2016, 05:57:11 pm
no doubt, numerous times he turned a 2 yard loss into a 2 yard gain. 

not nearly as easy as it sounds.

Very true.
For whatever reason, we didn't seem to get the run blocking this year like last.  AC was at times magical in how he could avoid a tackle for a loss and get back to the LOS or maybe even a yard or two gain.

Our new coach will hopefully fix this.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

reddogjcss

I really don't exspect any drop off in offense. I think the defense will be much improved.  I see 8-10 wins and bowling. My bold prediction is we beat BAMA on the hill 2016. We been getting close and it's going to happen this year.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: whosiskid on February 06, 2016, 11:45:13 pm
Two things give me hope.

First, Austin Allen is a fire ball. Brandon became a great QB, but if you had to rate him across the board in qualities, he isn't what you think of as a great leader. Austin may be a bit shorter than I'd like, but he has a world of confidence and might be the most intense leader we've had in a lot time. I can easily see him taking this team and immediately making it his own. He seems to have a bit of the drill sergeant in him. If the OL does something wrong, I think he'd be right there to let them know.

Which makes me think that Allen might be by far the best of the QBs we have for helping to rebuild an offense. For one thing, he knows it better than any of the others. For another, he has that personality that would insist on everyone doing their job. I know that some want one of the QBs who have stronger arms (which I think includes Peavey, Storey, and Town), but I have a gut feeling that by the third game of the season everyone is going to love Austin Allen. He is much more firey than his brother.

The other thing that gives me hope is that over the years, whether acting as QB coach or Head Coach or offensive coordinator, NOT ONCE has Dan Enos not had a QB throw for over 3,000 yards. When I first heard that I knew that Austin Allen had never thrown for 3,000 yards in either of his first two years as a starter. I wasn't very hopeful he would keep Enos's streak alive. But he ended the season with 3,440 yards passing. Clearly, Dan Enos knows how to coach QBs.

With some talented RBs, some great redshirt TE prospects to go with Sprinkle, and a host of fine WRs, I think Allen and the offense will do fine.

WE all hope you are right.  I think if  Austin can grab the reins and lead this team then all the other QBs will probable stay and earn their playing time behind him.  I am also hoping we will have a little different package for Peavey who is more of a Running QB.  That will make the opposition defenses stay up late at night studying trying to find a way to stop us. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 08, 2016, 08:59:07 pm
Very true.
For whatever reason, we didn't seem to get the run blocking this year like last.  AC was at times magical in how he could avoid a tackle for a loss and get back to the LOS or maybe even a yard or two gain.

Our new coach will hopefully fix this.
on one side, I do hope we improve on our run blocking, or the otherside, I recognize we play against the best D-lines in the country week in and week out.  so whoever is back there is going to need to make some plays.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

al2305

Quote from: reddogjcss on February 08, 2016, 09:06:44 pm
I really don't exspect any drop off in offense. I think the defense will be much improved.  I see 8-10 wins and bowling. My bold prediction is we beat BAMA on the hill 2016. We been getting close and it's going to happen this year.

I hope u are right but to lose one of the best QBs, RBs, TEs, and OL in the country seems like a definite drop off to me.  It is what it is.  The defense will have to step up and hopefully the offense can come together with all the new parts. Considering everyone we re replacing in key positions having the same record as last year might be a pretty good accomplishment.