Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who redshirts, who contributes, and who starts?

Started by bennyl08, February 03, 2016, 08:15:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

February 03, 2016, 08:15:23 pm Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:07:17 pm by bennyl08
Jordan Jones: Most years I'd say this kid plays. Even 2011 with Wright, Joe, Childs, and Cobi, he'd be in the rotation. However, this year, I think he could realistically redshirt. Why? First, we don't have enough room or balls to go around to our top 4 guys in Hatcher, Reed, Morgan, and Cornelius. Then, you have the guys who have been here a while and played some like Hollister, Duwop, and Hawkins, and the guys we redshirted who will be challenging those guys for playing time like Pettway and Stewart. If not for the current redshirts, I think Jordan Jones would easily fill in to that 5th receiver role and maybe some special teams. However, there is enough depth and talent ahead of him, I think he can redshirt. However, he is also talented enough that he may simply be too good to RS.

Austin Capps: Depends. Between him and Guidry, I think Capps is the more likely to get earlier playing time due to, IMO, have a more explosive first step. However, even with Froholdt moving to the other side, there are still 6 current guys ahead of him, so RS's for both of these guys are a possibility.

TJ Hammonds: This one is also pretty tricky. I think he, RW3, and Whaley make up our backs with the most overall talent. However, Walker is more than capable himself and Day and Evans can be solid fillers as well (perhaps more even, we haven't seen a whole from them). So, if Whaley ends up becoming on the top 3 rb's next season, I think there is room for Hammonds to RS. However, I think if Williams, Whaley, or Walker get hurt, Hammonds would leapfrog Evans and Day.

Briston Guidry: Less explosive but stronger than Capps, I think both have potential to RS with the depth in front of them, but Capps would be more likely to have his burned if needed.

Cole Kelly: He definitely RS's.

De'Jon Harris: No way he RS's. He will get at least a bit of playing time at LB while likely being big on the special teams. Potential to eventually become a starter at LB, especially if there is injury. Probably will just spend this year as a reserve and special teams.

Alexy Jean-Baptiste: Harris is a beast for sure, but Baptiste could be the LB surprise of the class filled with some talented guys. Harris has the athletic edge IMO, but JB is a playmaker who has a knack for forcing fumbles and is just as likely to get an interception as he is a sack (i.e. swiss army linebacker). He may not RS either.

Grayson Gunter: With the Gragg, O'Grady, and Cantrell now ready to play (we hope) and Sprinkle leading the pack along with guys like Kraus, very good chance Gunter will RS this season.

Jake Heinrich: With his speed and athleticism and frame, he seems more like a tackle than guard, but so far, the information about what the coaches view has pretty consistently been guard so far. Unless he blows coaches away, I think he will RS this year, but be a prime candidate to start on the OL next season.

Deon Edwards: RS, barring injury. I don't think he has a super quick first few steps, but can really close ground quickly. He high points the ball vs receivers, and will lay a big hit if there are other players around, otherwise he squares up and makes the surer tackle.

Kofi Boateng: RS. If Jordan Jones RS's Kofi does as well. However, when his time comes, his play reminds me of Drew Morgan.

McTelvin Agim: We probably will play him, but I can't say that he will start and we have the ability to RS him, which is quite impressive. This is the list of guys he will have to beat: Bell, Dean, Hall, Ledbetter, Winston, Wise Jr, possibly TJ Smith (he can go tackle or DE). We probably bring him in slowly because we have the depth and talent in front of him that there is no need to let him bite off more than he can chew.

Terrance (Deion?) Malone: Probably won't RS. Can't say for certain he will start because we have some talented guys at guard already, but he will be in the rotation.

Devwah Whaley: Will start for us this season, likely. I imagine at the start of the season, it will be Walker and Williams III carrying the load with some sprinkles of Whaley (somebody needs to find a creative nickname for the 3 w's. Tying to think of something world wide web, like, we could call them arachnophobia, but I think you guys can come up with something better). However, as the season goes on, Whaley will get more and more until he is as much a starter as the other two.

Giovanni LeFrance: I think he will RS. Very good at getting off blocks and making good tackles, but not quite as high a ceiling perhaps as some others, or at least might need more time.

Dee Walker: Similarly to LeFrance. Walker is very good at stringing out plays and making tackles even if he can only get a hand or arm on you.

Micah Smith: I don't think he RS's. I think he will make it into the two deep at S and be very good on special teams as well. He reminds me of former hog safety Tremain Thomas with very, very good athleticism.

Paul Ramirez: He may have to RS coming in at only 275 right now, but he is the best of the OL recruits IMO this year. He appears to have Heinrich's speed and Malone's strength all wrapped into one. I say 275 because that is what the official UA release lists him as, but rivals and 247 both have him nearer 300 if not at 300. If he can be 300 or better by fall, I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting or at least on the two deep.

Dylan Hays: Is he signed or not? He isn't on the official list fro the UA, or the hogville list, but there is the image of him signing for the hogs at his school? Well, assuming he is coming here, I think he redshirts this year.

Jonathan Marshall: I believe he redshirts as well.

Enlow will also RS due to the depth in front and potentially to also help his injury. However, Grant Morgan may not. I think he will not be a walk on for long here.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Inhogswetrust

February 03, 2016, 08:45:49 pm #1 Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:39:30 pm by Inhogswetrust
IF you are starting a Freshman at any position in the SEC then that says a lot about that position and the upper classmen..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkSoda

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 03, 2016, 08:45:49 pm
IF you are starting a Freshman at any position in the SEC then that says a lot about that position and the upper clansmen..................
some positions are easier to start early than others. 

however if a team is starting freshmen, they are either very good, or depth is very bad.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

IF you are starting a Freshman at any position in the SEC then that says a lot about that position and the upper clansmen..................

Alabama routinely starts true freshmen. Typically because they lose several guys to the NFL early and recruit studs each year and the freshmen stud was better than the sophomore studs.

A good team will typically be one of two things: Either full of upper classmen or have a wide spectrum of starters. The first example is a team like Miss St. They don't typically have a lot of players who are good enough to leave as juniors so you have more players staying for 4-5 years. Secondly, their players also aren't often good enough to feel like they can transfer to another P5 school and start so buildup of depth doesn't hurt them.

At the other end, you have a school like Alabama. They will typically have 3-4 players each year declare as juniors to the draft meaning about 15-20% of their class will only be there 3 years rather than the 4-5 you see as MSU. Further, when a backup player reaches that third year and aren't starting or have been there a year or and seen the writing on the wall for them, they realize they can probably start for a different team, so they will also transfer. Therefore, out of a class of 20-25, a third to a half of that class will only be there three years tops. That presents itself with several scenarios such as say you have 4 FS's. One transfers after the spring, the other declares for the draft after the season, leaving you with only two FS's left and say you bring in two freshmen. So, if you draw names from a hat, you have a 50/50 chance of a freshmen starting. However, let's look into the details. The two who stayed will fit into one of 3 categories. They were still young and had plenty time to start later, they were older but didn't think they could play elsewhere, they were older and were just committed to the team/new if they waited they would get the chance. For most cases there, a really good freshmen could definitely beat out the older guy.

So, lets analyze in detail now how a freshmen can start. First, they have to be better than the players already on the roster. How does that happen? The players above him get injured, the players above him weren't very good so a decent guy can start, or, they players above him are really good, this kid is just that special. The more players in front, the less likely all of that happens, the less depth, the more likely it happens.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Cure

I doubt Deon Edwards or the majority of the incoming LBers are seeing the shirt, they need immediate help at linebacker.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Tim Harris

I believe Bielema said his preference would be 2 of the LB get to RS but we probably have to play 2 of them based on numbers alone.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

thefisher

In CBB's presser yesterday he made an insightful comment, imho.  He said that a few guys are recruited knowing they might contribute right away. However, others with the purposed plan (my words ... his meaning) of them sitting out for 2-3 years and getting bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter in the systems Arkansas employs. In essence they recruited some guys for who they can become rather than who they are.

That is a special insightful talent and I am glad that CBB has it.  That was how he thrived at Wisconsin.  It is a skill necessary to thrive at Arkansas as well. The recruiting challenges at Arkansas are well documented and understood by many.  They were similar to the ones CBB had at Wisconsin. That will often mean that the "big signing day sweepstakes" goes to teams that get guys who are more ready out of high school. However, it is what that team will be when that class is 2-3 years down the road that really matters. If you do that year after year you develop a pipeline of guys that have 2-3 years of getting bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter in Hogineese. That then gives you the ability to truly engage in CBB's mantra of, "Next man up"!

I, for one, am extremely excited for where the program is headed!  The foundation has been laid and now the first floors are beginning to be solidified. It will begin a pipeline of quality guys being on campus ready to step up and play year after year after year. It should also end much of the "crisis recruiting" to fill gaping holes that has exemplified the recruiting of the past.

The Hogs should be at the point in the near future of rarely ever starting a freshman but always having new upper classmen ready to step in when the Sr or Jr that started last year graduates or declares early for the draft.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

DiamondHogFan

I don't think there is any reason to redshirt Agim.  He began practicing before our bowl game.  He is getting a good head start regardless.  We need his talent on the field.

I don't see him biting off more than he can chew.   I do agree that it is quite impressive that there could be a remote chance at redshirting our top recruit...I just don't think it is necessary.

KlubhouseKonnected

The upper clansmen haven't seemed to be a problem for Ole Miss the last few years...
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

jchill

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 03, 2016, 08:15:23 pm
Jordan Jones: Most years I'd say this kid plays. Even 2011 with Wright, Joe, Childs, and Cobi, he'd be in the rotation. However, this year, I think he could realistically redshirt. Why? First, we don't have enough room or balls to go around to our top 4 guys in Hatcher, Reed, Morgan, and Cornelius. Then, you have the guys who have been here a while and played some like Hollister, Duwop, and Hawkins, and the guys we redshirted who will be challenging those guys for playing time like Pettway and Stewart. If not for the current redshirts, I think Jordan Jones would easily fill in to that 5th receiver role and maybe some special teams. However, there is enough depth and talent ahead of him, I think he can redshirt. However, he is also talented enough that he may simply be too good to RS.

Austin Capps: Depends. Between him and Guidry, I think Capps is the more likely to get earlier playing time due to, IMO, have a more explosive first step. However, even with Froholdt moving to the other side, there are still 6 current guys ahead of him, so RS's for both of these guys are a possibility.

TJ Hammonds: This one is also pretty tricky. I think he, RW3, and Whaley make up our backs with the most overall talent. However, Walker is more than capable himself and Day and Evans can be solid fillers as well (perhaps more even, we haven't seen a whole from them). So, if Whaley ends up becoming on the top 3 rb's next season, I think there is room for Hammonds to RS. However, I think if Williams, Whaley, or Walker get hurt, Hammonds would leapfrog Evans and Day.

Briston Guidry: Less explosive but stronger than Capps, I think both have potential to RS with the depth in front of them, but Capps would be more likely to have his burned if needed.

Coke Kelly: He definitely RS's.

De'Jon Harris: No way he RS's. He will get at least a bit of playing time at LB while likely being big on the special teams. Potential to eventually become a starter at LB, especially if there is injury. Probably will just spend this year as a reserve and special teams.

Alexy Jean-Baptiste: Harris is a beast for sure, but Baptiste could be the LB surprise of the class filled with some talented guys. Harris has the athletic edge IMO, but JB is a playmaker who has a knack for forcing fumbles and is just as likely to get an interception as he is a sack (i.e. swiss army linebacker). He may not RS either.

Grayson Gunter: With the Gragg, O'Grady, and Cantrell now ready to play (we hope) and Sprinkle leading the pack along with guys like Kraus, very good chance Gunter will RS this season.

Jake Heinrich: With his speed and athleticism and frame, he seems more like a tackle than guard, but so far, the information about what the coaches view has pretty consistently been guard so far. Unless he blows coaches away, I think he will RS this year, but be a prime candidate to start on the OL next season.

Deon Edwards: RS, barring injury. I don't think he has a super quick first few steps, but can really close ground quickly. He high points the ball vs receivers, and will lay a big hit if there are other players around, otherwise he squares up and makes the surer tackle.

Kofi Boateng: RS. If Jordan Jones RS's Kofi does as well. However, when his time comes, his play reminds me of Drew Morgan.

McTelvin Agim: We probably will play him, but I can't say that he will start and we have the ability to RS him, which is quite impressive. This is the list of guys he will have to beat: Bell, Dean, Hall, Ledbetter, Winston, Wise Jr, possibly TJ Smith (he can go tackle or DE). We probably bring him in slowly because we have the depth and talent in front of him that there is no need to let him bite off more than he can chew.

Terrance (Deion?) Malone: Probably won't RS. Can't say for certain he will start because we have some talented guys at guard already, but he will be in the rotation.

Devwah Whaley: Will start for us this season, likely. I imagine at the start of the season, it will be Walker and Williams III carrying the load with some sprinkles of Whaley (somebody needs to find a creative nickname for the 3 w's. Tying to think of something world wide web, like, we could call them arachnophobia, but I think you guys can come up with something better). However, as the season goes on, Whaley will get more and more until he is as much a starter as the other two.

Giovanni LeFrance: I think he will RS. Very good at getting off blocks and making good tackles, but not quite as high a ceiling perhaps as some others, or at least might need more time.

Dee Walker: Similarly to LeFrance. Walker is very good at stringing out plays and making tackles even if he can only get a hand or arm on you.

Micah Smith: I don't think he RS's. I think he will make it into the two deep at S and be very good on special teams as well. He reminds me of former hog safety Tremain Thomas with very, very good athleticism.

Paul Ramirez: He may have to RS coming in at only 275 right now, but he is the best of the OL recruits IMO this year. He appears to have Heinrich's speed and Malone's strength all wrapped into one. I say 275 because that is what the official UA release lists him as, but rivals and 247 both have him nearer 300 if not at 300. If he can be 300 or better by fall, I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting or at least on the two deep.

Dylan Hays: Is he signed or not? He isn't on the official list fro the UA, or the hogville list, but there is the image of him signing for the hogs at his school? Well, assuming he is coming here, I think he redshirts this year.

Enlow will also RS due to the depth in front and potentially to also help his injury. However, Grant Morgan may not. I think he will not be a walk on for long here.

I know you made a mistake and typed "Coke" instead of "Cole". Hopefully, that is not a harbinger. Seriously, I am looking forward to seeing this kid play. Maybe he will be Ryan Mallet 2.0. in a couple of years.

Speaking of names, Giovanni LeFrance cannot redshirt. He has the coolest name in this recruiting class. I love your analysis. I think we will look back at this class in four years and wonder how in the world were they ranked so low (wishful thinking).

PorkRinds

Any thought of Agim redshirting should be cast out the window right now.  He plays on day one and is gone in three years.  You don't waste a redshirt on him barring injury...

PorkSoda

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 04, 2016, 07:40:53 am
I believe Bielema said his preference would be 2 of the LB get to RS but we probably have to play 2 of them based on numbers alone.
we got a couple coming in that are SEC size already in harris and lefrance. 
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2016, 12:06:02 pm
Any thought of Agim redshirting should be cast out the window right now.  He plays on day one and is gone in three years.  You don't waste a redshirt on him barring injury...
no doubt he plays right away.  what will be interesting is how soon he earns the starting role.  even as a 2nd string, we rotate a lot, so he should get plenty of play time.

Tejano Jawg

The 2 biggest areas of curiosity for me—and for opposing reasons—are Wide Receiver and Secondary.

For the young WRs, we have so much talent up top. (Remember, Hatcher comes back.) You've got all those guys from last year, the redshirts we've wondered about like Stewart and Pettway. Not to mention the redshirt TEs Gragg and O'Grady. What will this depth chart look like? This is the classic "good problem to have."

For the defensive backfield, who knows who will step up. We sure could've used Fulton, but that's done. Is there a QB, WR or RB (well, maybe not QB) who moves to the secondary? That's what TCU does, and why they've been so good. They find talent and they put it back there. I think Biggus mentioned Damon Mitchell moving.

Is there still a hot JUCO corner out there? Since we didn't sign many/any yesterday, we'll definitely need to look there next year. 
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

buldozer

^^^This^^^ When you only get three years, you don't waste one on a redshirt.....

The_Iceman

Zero chance Agim redshirts because you don't want another Philon situation. Agim is good enough to leave early, so get 3 years while you can.

buldozer

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 04, 2016, 12:30:17 pm

Is there still a hot JUCO corner out there? Since we didn't sign many/any yesterday, we'll definitely need to look there next year.
I hope they sign one or two before the fall..... another season losing to every team that can quickly throw an accurate pass just makes me sick to my stomach.....

bennyl08

Quote from: jchill on February 04, 2016, 11:41:40 am
I know you made a mistake and typed "Coke" instead of "Cole". Hopefully, that is not a harbinger. Seriously, I am looking forward to seeing this kid play. Maybe he will be Ryan Mallet 2.0. in a couple of years.

Speaking of names, Giovanni LeFrance cannot redshirt. He has the coolest name in this recruiting class. I love your analysis. I think we will look back at this class in four years and wonder how in the world were they ranked so low (wishful thinking).

Haha, thanks, fixed.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: thefisher on February 04, 2016, 10:02:17 am
In CBB's presser yesterday he made an insightful comment, imho.  He said that a few guys are recruited knowing they might contribute right away. However, others with the purposed plan (my words ... his meaning) of them sitting out for 2-3 years and getting bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter in the systems Arkansas employs. In essence they recruited some guys for who they can become rather than who they are.

That is a special insightful talent and I am glad that CBB has it.  That was how he thrived at Wisconsin.  It is a skill necessary to thrive at Arkansas as well. The recruiting challenges at Arkansas are well documented and understood by many.  They were similar to the ones CBB had at Wisconsin. That will often mean that the "big signing day sweepstakes" goes to teams that get guys who are more ready out of high school. However, it is what that team will be when that class is 2-3 years down the road that really matters. If you do that year after year you develop a pipeline of guys that have 2-3 years of getting bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter in Hogineese. That then gives you the ability to truly engage in CBB's mantra of, "Next man up"!

I, for one, am extremely excited for where the program is headed!  The foundation has been laid and now the first floors are beginning to be solidified. It will begin a pipeline of quality guys being on campus ready to step up and play year after year after year. It should also end much of the "crisis recruiting" to fill gaping holes that has exemplified the recruiting of the past.

The Hogs should be at the point in the near future of rarely ever starting a freshman but always having new upper classmen ready to step in when the Sr or Jr that started last year graduates or declares early for the draft.

This.  Stars are important, but not all-important. For one thing the scales are imprecise. Can any analysis really differentiate between a 5.7 and 5.8 or 87.658 and 86.794 recruit?  I don't think so. 

And, you have to hit needs, which, I think, CBB does better than HDN or CBP.  He lost out a bit on DBs this year,  but he aimed for them. To that extent the loss of Putu was worse than that of Fulton because Putu was seemingly in the bag.  Numbers are also not just a matter of immediate need but of balancing classes.  Early departures hurt, stability helps. CBB is thinking long term.  It's hard on fans and the players who were here when he got here, but SHOULD pay off soon. We'll see.

You also recruit to system. I don't know enough about Xs and Os to say that CBB is doing that, but he does seem to have realized that a defense built to stop Bama or LSU is not necessarily going to be the defense that stops Ole Miss or TCU and is recruiting accordingly.

Finally, development matters.  While having top-tier talent is always a good thing, once you get them on campus, if you can keep them on campus, the redshirt juniors and seniors should be ready to step in and, by and large, be as good or better than talented freshmen.  It will be a case of a full grown man going up against a man child. 

Don't get me wrong. I want the best talent CBB can legally get, and I don't really agree that Arkansas is a bad place to recruit to, but once CBB has his numbers, with grown upperclassmen schooled in the system, he should start winning at a higher clip and thereby be better able to recruit better classes.  The fly in the ointment is that the SEC West is a strong as it's ever been and that Texas is getting hit by a lot of schools. So it will be difficult, but not impossible to compete for SEC West titles and therefore be in national championship conversations.

EFBAB

Hoggish1

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on February 04, 2016, 08:19:41 am
what a great kid

http://www.abc17news.com/sports/web-extra-hayden-johnson-on-his-arkansas-commitment/33733800

Listening to that TV interview it just emphasizes how savvy or coaches are to see that he was what they were looking for in a fullback whereas Mizzou, 1. was late to the draw and 2, saw him as a DE or Tackle and wanted to just put weight on him to accomplish that.

Hoggish1

Quote from: thefisher on February 04, 2016, 10:02:17 am

Very well said.  In our league we have to do it CBB's way when the talent is not plentiful and in our back yard.

You have no choice but to choose wisely meaning get smart kids who will be able to stay in school, that have a great work ethic and want to grow and be coached.

hobhog

Just wrong. We, and other SEC teams, have routinely had freshman contributors. I expect Whaley, Hammonds and Agim to have meaningful early impacts. You gonna bite, you bite as a pup.

HoGs1031

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 12:43:56 pm
Zero chance Agim redshirts because you don't want another Philon situation. Agim is good enough to leave early, so get 3 years while you can.

Didn't Philon have to redshirt because he was hurt. The same reason he was asked to greyshirt at bama

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on February 04, 2016, 08:19:41 am
what a great kid

http://www.abc17news.com/sports/web-extra-hayden-johnson-on-his-arkansas-commitment/33733800
I have a college buddy with whom I shared many a good cold brew with while attending the Hill. Anyway, he happens to now live not too far outside of Jefferson City and has been able to see Hayden play quite a bit. According to him this kid is the real deal. He apparently LOVES to hit people; in fact, my "bud" said the young man will go out of his way to initiate contact. While we all know that wouldn't necessarily be the case as he progresses to the SEC (at least looking for "trouble"), sounds as if Hayden is somewhat a cross between Hillis and Keiro (sp) Small. Either or both comparisons would be fine with me just as long as he "plows" somebody into the ground.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 04, 2016, 11:32:00 am
The upper clansmen haven't seemed to be a problem for Ole Miss the last few years...

Oh man. I can't believe I typed that! Haha. Good catch!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Love those Hogs

My thoughts exactly!  He's a 3 and gone player, barring injury.
Hogs 4 Life!

bennyl08

To clarify, I wasn't saying we should RS Agim. I'm saying, we could RS him this year without a major impact.

If you see my thread in the recruiting forum, I think he is very, very good and agree that odds are he is gone in 3 years.

However, I do think there is some shiny new toy in the box effect with Agim where people forget that the guys we already have aren't half bad themselves. Wise Jr. led the team in sacks and he was only a backup player for most the year. Almost all the guys above Agim are 4* recruits in their own rights. Admittedly, none are 5*'s like he is, but they also are seasoned vets.

Currently, I don't think Agim comes in and has an impact this year significantly greater than we'd have had without him. I.e. he is a freshmen, and there will be a learning curve as the season goes on even though he enrolled early here. It would be impressive and indicative of his expectations if he can come in and compete with the talent already on hand. However, the situation would be akin to having Collins, Knile, JWill, and Felix all playing RB and then signing Dmac. With the talent of the guys in front of you, you could realistically RS McFadden because there are a lot of studs in front of him. However, Dmac is likely a 3 year player, so you find a way to get him some experience because say Collins and Knile will be graduating next year so a somewhat experienced McFadden will be ready to explode onto the scene that sophomore season.

TheRazorback500

Agim and Whaley should play a good bit. Guidry could make the DL rotation. Harris and LaFrance should get a long look at MLB. Hammonds and Johnson may be called upon depending on the health of RW3 and Kody. The juco linemen will be needed to provide depth. The rest will probably redshirt IMO if we avoid injuries.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

ballinhog

Anyone think it's worth considering Jordan Jones on defense at corner? I know he has a bright future ahead of him at wideout but his length and athleticism would be nice to have on D. Just seems if we're ever gonna be able to compete at a championship level defensively were gonna have to start putting some of these great athletes on that side of the ball

Quick note, I'm not campaigning a move to corner for him, just making offseason conversation so no need for bashing lol I think it's worth a look at least

Bubba's Bruisers

Would love to see the WR's, DT's, 2 LB's, entire OL (probably unrealistic, but would be great if Ramirez could), and Marshall get the RS.  I already assume Kelly, Gunter, Heinrich, A LB or 2, and 1 of the S's will RS.

I'm sure Whaley, Hammonds, a JUCO OL, Agim and a couple LB's will play.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hoghiker

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on February 04, 2016, 11:19:02 am
I don't think there is any reason to redshirt Agim.  He began practicing before our bowl game.  He is getting a good head start regardless.  We need his talent on the field.

I don't see him biting off more than he can chew.   I do agree that it is quite impressive that there could be a remote chance at redshirting our top recruit...I just don't think it is necessary.
Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 12:43:56 pm
This. I believe he has stated that his plan at Arkansas is for three years. I've got no link but I'm pretty sure I've read this.

hawginbigd1

Yeah that is the plan, not sure how much he plays this year but he will play!

hogsanity

If they are significantly better than what you have, or if you are terribly thin at a position, they play. If they are about equal to what you have or you have a lot of depth at a spot, you red shirt them otherwise it is a waste to play them sparingly.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MissippHog

W W W.RBU.COM
a   i   h
l    l   a
k   l    l
e   i   e
r   a   y
    m
    s

FreshHog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 04, 2016, 12:30:17 pm
The 2 biggest areas of curiosity for me—and for opposing reasons—are Wide Receiver and Secondary.

For the young WRs, we have so much talent up top. (Remember, Hatcher comes back.) You've got all those guys from last year, the redshirts we've wondered about like Stewart and Pettway. Not to mention the redshirt TEs Gragg and O'Grady. What will this depth chart look like? This is the classic "good problem to have."

For the defensive backfield, who knows who will step up. We sure could've used Fulton, but that's done. Is there a QB, WR or RB (well, maybe not QB) who moves to the secondary? That's what TCU does, and why they've been so good. They find talent and they put it back there. I think Biggus mentioned Damon Mitchell moving.

wouldnt surprise me ONE bit to see Duwop as a CB or a safety. Kid is ATHLETIC.

RaisinHog

Quote from: hoghiker on February 05, 2016, 09:28:24 am
This. I believe he has stated that his plan at Arkansas is for three years. I've got no link but I'm pretty sure I've read this.

This is accurate said he will graduate and go to the NFL in 3 he has been takeing college classes so he can get his degree before nfl

jackflash

I can see all the LB getting a shot. Agim  because he can rush the passer. Maybe Jones at WR because of his . Of course the RB from TX both JC offensive lineman

Polecat

I would be surprised if Hammonds redshirts. I see a role for him in the return game and also on some sweeps, Cornelius type stuff
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

ATLHog

exactly-

VirginiaHog

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on February 04, 2016, 10:18:01 pm
Agim and Whaley should play a good bit. Guidry could make the DL rotation. Harris and LaFrance should get a long look at MLB. Hammonds and Johnson may be called upon depending on the health of RW3 and Kody. The juco linemen will be needed to provide depth. The rest will probably redshirt IMO if we avoid injuries.

:razorback:
This is basically my thoughts as well. Also something no one has mentioned is special teams. Positions such as linebacker, db, and rb lots of times will be called on to upgrade our special teams while getting game speed/ experience even if the cant get playing time at their actual position.

TeedupHigh

Agim is not the first to be a star at Arkansas before he has played a down.  We had another D-lineman a couple years ago who has just not developed for some reason or the other.  I'm ready for one of our BIG TIME recruits to become BIG TIME!

RaisinHog

Quote from: TeedupHigh on February 05, 2016, 03:06:36 pm
Agim is not the first to be a star at Arkansas before he has played a down.  We had another D-lineman a couple years ago who has just not developed for some reason or the other.  I'm ready for one of our BIG TIME recruits to become BIG TIME!

If your talking about bijohn Jackson I wouldn't say he hasn't developed he is just a run stoping tackle not a speed rush d end .. He had all kinds of weight lifting records and such coming out of high school but I don't think anyone exspected him to be a sack collector

choppedporkextrasauce

BirmingHam

whosiskid

There is no universe in which Sosa Agim redshirts.

The question is whether a true freshman can beat out established starters. From day one he will probably be our best defensive player and we could be designing our schemes around him by midseason.

I'm not sure who to compare Agim to.  A few things put together maybe give a glimpse of the kind of athletic freak he is. He returned kickoffs a few times for Hope HS, including one for a TD. He was on his track team's 400 meter relay team and once ran a 11.6 hundred meter. At the same time he was the state shot put champion two times. He would have made it a third time but he enrolled at Arkansas, so that he wasn't able to perform his senior year.

Meanwhile, he was an avid weight lifter and broke most of Bijohn Jackson's records.

Most of the rating services had him rated as a low 4 star until last summer, when he started going to the top summer combines for the highest rated prospects No one could block him. As in, no one. He went to The Opening, which is the #1 combine for high school kids and he absolutely embarrassed all these 5 star offensive linemen he was pitted against. He was named the top lineman and his stock began to shoot up, from around a 92 on 247 to around a 96. During his season it creeped up to 98 (this was when he was doing things like occasionally playing running back -and doing it well - and returning kick offs. He was named the Sports Illustrated athlete for the month of November. Then he went to the Under Armor All America game, where is wowed everyone in practices. Once again, no one could block him.

Eventually 247 changed his rating to 5 stars. I asked a lot of the professionally recruiting gurus why he hadn't been rated a 5 star player earlier, when he play was clearly better than a host of kids rated 5 stars. I finally got a reply. He is 6'3, and the recruiting services use a somewhat superficial template for ranking players. To be a 5 star, he would normally need to be at least 6'4 and preferably 6'5 (I thought the reply interesting for revealing how arbitrary some of the criteria are). Based on his performances both in the summer camps and the Under Armor game, they made him a 5 star.

So Agim is a freak. We may have one linebacker faster than him and he might be the strongest player on the team. His burst off the line of scrimmage is surreal. There were a couple of plays in the Under Armor practices where he reached the running back at the same moment as the ball when receiving a hand off from the QB.

Agim is a DE, but he is such a talent that when he fully develops, the defense will likely move him all over the place. He might line up as a tackle on one play, an end the next, an outside linebacker the next. He might play some of the time from a standing start. They might play him some plays as a mike linebacker.

The question with Agim is not whether or not his redshirts, but at what point they begin to scheme the defense around him. To put it another way, Agim is the most talented defensive player that Bielema has had since JJ Watts. He has the potential be be the kind of defensive player other teams have nightmares about , trying to figure out how to stop him. I've tried to think of a former Arkansas player to compare him to and I'm drawing a blank. I know he has yet to play a college game, but his measurables are surreal and simply off the chart. He is faster and stronger than Billy Ray Smith Jr. He is as fast as Jamal Anderson, but a lot stronger. He has the potential to be one of our all time greats.

I think they will start him off at DE, but I think they will put him at a lot of positions. At the Under Armor game he played both DT and DE. Normally you wouldn't think a kid who is 6'3, 280 would make an ideal DT, but he is so fast he blows the gaps before the blocking scheme can form. But I think at Arkansas next year he'll mainly be put in positions where he can rush the passer.

I don't just think Sosa Agim will not redshirt: I think he has a real chance to be our defensive MVP. I saw two different people who said he has the potential to be someone like Clowney. Whether that is true or not, the coaches clearly think he is a unique talent. He was invited to participate in 5 practices prior to the Liberty Bowl. I don't remember any high school kid ever being invited to practice with the Hogs prior to his finishing high school, let alone a bowl game practice. But clearly it shows that they expect that he is going to be a major contributor to the team. And soon.

I don't know that Agim will start, but I do believe that he'll play more than half of each game. And as the season goes along, I believe we'll see him moved around more and more. DE one play, DT the next, the next some kind of split out OLB, a mike LB the next. Anything to mess with the minds of the other team's OC. What do you do with a kid this fast, who can out run virtually any TE, who is as fast as most running backs, and who is stronger than most offensive linemen? And not just strong and fast, but quick. He doesn't just have the potential to be a great DE, but one of the most disruptive defensive players in Arkansas football history.

One last comment. Agim is a hardcore weight lifter. It is going to be very interesting to see how they target his workouts. Will they try to keep him at 280, so the can move to linebacker on some plays? Or will they bulk him up and put him permanently at one defensive position. I have been assuming the former. But I wouldn't be surprised if they went with the latter. If they do, you could see them putting him either at end or tackle. There are few things more disruptive to an offense than a 6'3, 305 DT who is almost impossibly quick. I could see him developing into a pre-knee-injury Tommie Harris style DT.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Arthur pigby sellers.

I've seen the talk of moving Duwop to defense which I'm not against, but after this next year we lose the big four receivers.  Duwop did make some good catches this year.  I can see him as a meaningful starter his senior year at WR. 

hawg IQ

Cole Kelly: He definitely RS's.

n the 3 'W's " Walk, Will and Way !!!
go hogs go !

a0ashle

Agim starts not only because he only has 3 years, I think he will give us the big plays on the D-line we missed last year. He may end up out of position or getting owned from time to time, but the home run ability will force him on to the field.