Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do we have enough bodies at cornerback? That's all I'm axin...

Started by Country Stylz, February 03, 2016, 04:51:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Country Stylz

Toliver
Dean
Collins
Pulley
Floyd
Dalton?
Who'd I leave out?
Sykes?

hawginbigd1

Yes, I am only concerned with the bodies we do have at Safety! We have them, but til now aren't getting the job done!

Country Stylz

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 03, 2016, 04:53:18 pm
Yes, I am only concerned with the bodies we do have at Safety! We have them, but til now aren't getting the job done!
Ramirez at safety did get burnt up a lot. Who are the safeties? Was hoping Sykes would take over. Move Duwop back there with no experience. We're just gonna have to put a ton of pressure on the QB. I'll hang up n listen Pawl.

Country Stylz

nwahogfan1

We need better talent at CB.  We probable have the bodies but we need better lock down CBs.

Country Stylz

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 05:08:12 pm
We need better talent at CB.  We probable have the bodies but we need better lock down CBs.
I think Pulley improves this year.

onebadrubi

Liddell
Richardson
^^ both played a lot of snaps last year

You caught your miss with Ramirez

Reid Miller is a very good walk on player that could elevate himself up to scholarship player. 

We will be looking to add a young freshman Edwards and Smith along with the movement of Duwop.  Bodies, size, and speed are there. 

Oklahawg

Two impact CB were hurt all year. DJ Dean had off-season surgery because of his situation. He was a duct tape/baling wire rig job by the training staff most weeks. Cornelius Floyd was out all year after a strong spring. He expected to contribute, I believe.

The quality of the CB play will improve a lot when the DL can get a push on the pocket and the LB corps is deep enough to sub in/out for fatigue purposes (if not otherwise).

Some tinkering is needed to make sure they are in the right spots.

And, yes, would have been nice to land at least one ready-to-go CB.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

clutch

It's so hard to find ready-to-go CB's. That's probably the hardest position on the field. I'm thinking this group will be good eventually because they all started gaining experience very early in their careers.

tophawg19

one i wish we had tried at cb was Eric Hawkins . he has fantastic speed but can't seem to get the WR down
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

code red

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 03, 2016, 06:30:47 pm
Two impact CB were hurt all year. DJ Dean had off-season surgery because of his situation. He was a duct tape/baling wire rig job by the training staff most weeks. Cornelius Floyd was out all year after a strong spring. He expected to contribute, I believe.

The quality of the CB play will improve a lot when the DL can get a push on the pocket and the LB corps is deep enough to sub in/out for fatigue purposes (if not otherwise).

Some tinkering is needed to make sure they are in the right spots.

And, yes, would have been nice to land at least one ready-to-go CB.
I would agree but the lack of push is because we never really dialed up LB blitzes.  Hopefully this class will help that out.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HighcountryHog

Put Duwop at safety.  Start doing as Saban does: put your pure athletes on defense.
no bumps, no fat chicks

sylamore

CBB has said he is considering Duwop at safety or RB as per Duwop's apparent request.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Danny J

Quote from: sylamore on February 03, 2016, 06:56:15 pm
CBB has said he is considering Duwop at safety or RB as per Duwop's apparent request.
Hopefully safety....

hawg1221

Remember, CBB was wanting to move him to defense originally. Gave him the choice of DB or WR and he chose WR.

longpig

Quote from: Country Stylz on February 03, 2016, 05:05:10 pm
Coley. Move him back. Give him a damn chance!

He spent a season and a half or more at safety, didn't he?
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: code red on February 03, 2016, 06:49:51 pm
I would agree but the lack of push is because we never really dialed up LB blitzes.  Hopefully this class will help that out.

We shouldn't have to dial up an LB blitz in every passing situation, the front four should be able to do it themselves most the time.
Don't be scared, be smart.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: code red on February 03, 2016, 06:49:51 pm
I would agree but the lack of push is because we never really dialed up LB blitzes.

Wrong, it's just it was hard to tell we were blitzing because our blitzers never got any penetration or pressure.

Later in the year I cringed every time I saw CRS dial up a blitz, because it was a guaranteed 15-20 yard completion.

But I'm sure him calling MORE blitzes would have worked out completely different.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

While we definitely need improved safety play (or we'll never have a decent defense), the issue at CB is not what we have on our roster now to play next fall.  IMO we've got some talent there, contrary to popular opinion, and we have Pulley who played some last year.

The problem is we now have no CB's in this recruiting class to begin developing for when we have future losses.  We've harped on our LB lack of depth, but CB is going to be even more severe IMO after we lose Collins and Dean.

I'm very disappointed CBB/staff didn't get that done in this class.  I believe the need was desperate, and to not have filled it is unacceptable.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jry04

We have plenty of players at that position. I know everyone hates on our defense, but I honestly expect to see the improvement going into next season much like we did Smith's first year here. I think we have potential for an elite defense next season. A lot of success on the defense has to do with depth and experience. Smith had us in position to make plays, but we just didn't make them. I think having 20/22 players returning on defense will be a huge because now our guys will be more comfortable playing with the other guys that they have played with for a full season or two.

It will also help having a stronger/faster DLine with all of the guys returning and improved, plus Agim. Then you factor in 4 new LBs in this class, plus Ramsey and Williams back and we will have more depth at LB than we have had in years. Ellis will no longer have to play 80+ snaps per game.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.