Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roster Rules and Walk on program

Started by luke hawg, February 02, 2016, 10:53:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

Obviously Bret wants to build a strong walk on program to mitigate our recruiting disadvantages. This has been proven to be a successful method in the past by Wisconsin and Nebraska. I know nebraska's walk on program was unreal with a roster in the 150-200s during the late 80s and early 90s. Osborne was sometimes signing classes as small as 18 players. My question is with the current roster rules how closely can we replicate this?

85 scholarship players
105 roster limit during off season. Does this does just apply to on field practice? How many guys can be lifting and in football complex?
Is there a roster limit during the season? There doesn't appear to be one.

DeltaBoy

I would like to know that too Dr. Osborn was King of the Walk on Programs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

idochog

There is not a limit of walkons.  There is a limit of preferred walkons which means the ones that are allowed to practice with the team before school starts.  A certain # will be allowed to report in august and the rest can report after school starts.
I love Jesus!

idochog

All the walkons can dress for RRS but a travel squad goes everywhere else.  I believe all are allowed to workout and lift weights
I love Jesus!

luke hawg

This is our ticket to closing the talent gap between us and other teams in our conference.

PorkSoda

Quote from: luke hawg on February 03, 2016, 12:56:46 pm
This is our ticket to closing the talent gap between us and other teams in our conference.
I think it will help.  while its hard to replace a 5 star with a walk on, if we have enough quality walk ons, some of those are bound to be diamonds in the rough that turn out to be impact players down the road.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Granny fan

I think one of those diamonds is Grant Morgan!

Tyler Rose

Hardman

Is the kid that walked on from IMG still here?

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 03, 2016, 01:14:35 pm
I think it will help.  while its hard to replace a 5 star with a walk on, if we have enough quality walk ons, some of those are bound to be diamonds in the rough that turn out to be impact players down the road.

True but in most cases you are not looking to replace a 5* with a walk-on straight up.  You are looking for depth and in some cases, replacing a 3-5* player that is leaving with a 3* walk-on that has been developed in the system and is now ready to see playing time a fully developed Jr/Sr
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/