Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - National Signing Day Will Not Tell Us Much About Future Success

Started by Robert Shields, February 01, 2016, 11:15:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

National Signing Day Will Not Tell Us Much About Future Razorback Success

Robert Shields

You will be fed in the coming week by the pundits on the talk radio shows and Internet about how good the Razorback football recruiting class was for 2016.

What you are never going to hear from these people is that the coach blew it this year and that recruiting has been a disaster.

Only after a coach wrecks his motorcycle with a female employee on the back of it or does something else to lose favor with the fans do you start to hear about bad recruiting classes.

So let me be the one to tell you the reality, as it is every year -- the Razorbacks will sign a bunch of two, three, and a few four star recruits who are going to have to find a way to beat the five-star recruits that Alabama and much of the rest of the SEC signs every year.

As much as I would like to insult the people at the recruiting services who chase around high-school kids to give them a star rating, the system is typically the best method available to determine how a college team will perform in the future.

Ultimately, though, the high-school highlight reel from Friday night does not matter, and all the yards or tackles assembled doesn't help a player when they arrive to campus. Newcomers to camp at an SEC school find out quickly that the players on campus know more, have worked out more, and have matured more, which makes it difficult to beat any of them out.

The Razorbacks have played competitively with Alabama the last two years, but the fact remains that the Hogs have not beaten the Crimson Tide in a decade. Alabama just has more playmakers on the field, and over a period of 60 minutes it becomes cumulative.

If you want a positive, Ole Miss, LSU, and Auburn have consistently out-recruited Arkansas, but it has not mattered as the Razorbacks defeated all of them last season.

You can elevate a lesser-talented group of recruits by other means such as the scheme for the talent that you possess, keeping them on campus, and teaching them to a higher level.

One of Bret Bielema's greatest assets is finding players who are teachable and is more than just an athletic talent. He sees a kid like Drew Morgan and knows that he can teach that kid a pass route. Not all players want to be coached, and to Bielema's credit no matter how good a kid is, he does not suffer fools.

In recruiting for this year, the Razorbacks have two immediate needs. The linebackers are severely lacking depth. It's the greatest reason the defense struggled last year. It's the most important position on defense because it is basically like being the quarterback of that side of the ball. It's the position that calls out the defensive sets and has to recognize what is happening all over the field. It's the one position on defense that has to know everything and often has to do everything.

The Razorbacks had one or maybe two decent linebackers by the end of last season. One was a true freshman who learned quickly but was still doing on-the-job training. So for this recruiting class to be meaningful, it needs a couple of solid linebackers.

The other immediate need is a running back with the early departure of Alex Collins. And the Razorbacks will sign a few. But in all the days of my life watching the Razorbacks, the guy who is typically the most touted at running back in the recruiting class is typically not the guy who pans out. Often it is the other recruit who has something to prove.

So we will see soon enough who is more than just a highlight reel when August arrives. But we don't know that on signing day no matter how many stars or how many pundits proclaim them to be great.

Send your recruiting stars and busts to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

navyhog24

ricepig

Hawgar The Horrible

"What you are never going to hear from these people is that the coach blew it this year and that recruiting has been a disaster."

"The other immediate need is a running back with the early departure of Alex Collins. And the Razorbacks will sign a few. But in all the days of my life watching the Razorbacks, the guy who is typically the most touted at running back in the recruiting class is typically not the guy who pans out. Often it is the other recruit who has something to prove."

Whaley ****
Hammonds ****
Potentially...Porter ****

Insufferable idiot.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

SPAL

I printed this because I'm out of toilet paper. Thanks Robert....you saved the day.

RME

"The Razorbacks have played competitively with Alabama the last two years, but the fact remains that the Hogs have not beaten the Crimson Tide in a decade. Alabama just has more playmakers on the field, and over a period of 60 minutes it becomes cumulative."

Not many teams period have beaten Alabama in the last 10 seasons. It's not just Arkansas.

Also, Alabama having arguably the greatest college football coach of this generation surely has nothing to do with it. It HAS to be because of the separation of recruits, right?

Keep on stargazing, bud. Plenty of 5* have flopped, and plenty of 2* have shined. But, go ahead. Keep lookin' at them stars.

greenEGnHAWGS

So, recruiting services really do matter to predict W's and L's (see Bama) hence we are just overcome by our deficiency of talent...but not always (see Auburn/LSU)...sometimes we can beat the more talented team...

Journalism at its finest...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

DeltaBoy

Robert your preaching to the Choir , We all seen the bust and the where did that guy come from over the years.  So far on Paper we should have the best class yet under this Staff. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 01, 2016, 11:29:45 am
I printed this because I'm out of toilet paper. Thanks Robert....you saved the day.

Ha ha...you can always count on Robert.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Seebs

Which is a better attempt at explaining something? Robert on recruiting or Miss South Carolina discussing Iraq? I go with the girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

The_Iceman

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Oklahawg

Did I miss Robert's insights on the $160M stadium expansion? Oh, wait, I don't ever read what he writes. I used to but I quit. Made my head hurt.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 01, 2016, 12:13:51 pm
Did I miss Robert's insights on the $160M stadium expansion? Oh, wait, I don't ever read what he writes. I used to but I quit. Made my head hurt.

Give it about three weeks minimum, he's still reading the thread on it in order to screw up the facts.

hoghevn

Which one is it????  You're contradicting yourself.  You say we'll never be as good because of the lack of star rated talent.  Then you say stars don't matter.

FIRST STATEMENT:
What you are never going to hear from these people is that the coach blew it this year and that recruiting has been a disaster.
So let me be the one to tell you the reality, as it is every year -- the Razorbacks will sign a bunch of two, three, and a few four star recruits who are going to have to find a way to beat the five-star recruits that Alabama and much of the rest of the SEC signs every year.
As much as I would like to insult the people at the recruiting services who chase around high-school kids to give them a star rating, the system is typically the best method available to determine how a college team will perform in the future.

SECOND STATEMENT:
But we don't know that on signing day no matter how many stars or how many pundits proclaim them to be great.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hoghevn on February 01, 2016, 12:26:58 pm
Which one is it????  You're contradicting yourself.  You say we'll never be as good because of the lack of star rated talent.  Then you say stars don't matter.

FIRST STATEMENT:

SECOND STATEMENT:
But we don't know that on signing day no matter how many stars or how many pundits proclaim them to be great.

#DropsTheMic

scruf

Petrino's recruiting sucked before the motorcycle thing. Got really lucky with the best in-state WR class of all-time in his first year and didn't do anything to replace them.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

zane

RIP LSUfan

WMHawgfan

PeabodyHawg

Shields referring to himself as a journalist is akin to a Strip Club DJ referring to himself as a musician.

GolfnHog

Quote from: PeabodyHawg on February 01, 2016, 03:03:46 pm
Shields referring to himself as a journalist is akin to a Strip Club DJ referring to himself as a musician.

Damm, that's a slam on strip club DJ's!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ricepig

PeabodyHawg

hobhog

titsonboar

ricepig

ke2743

BorderPatrol

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

RollHogTide

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2016, 12:14:36 pm

Give it about three weeks minimum, he's still reading the thread on it in order to screw up the facts.

TRUTH!!!!

99.9% of Robert's musings are generally misunderstood rehashed topics that were covered in previous weeks on Hogville.

Hoggish1

Is it possible to miss the boat more than you have in this post?  Oh, BTW, didn't read...

Theolesnort

Robert being Robert. He set out to raise some hackles with those few short words and he succeeded with a few of you.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

LZH

Quote from: Theolesnort on February 01, 2016, 07:19:27 pm
Robert being Robert. He set out to raise some hackles with those few short words and he succeeded with a few of you.

Works every time.

Dark Helmet Hog

I used to think HDN was the one true MOTHO. Robert Shields has now proven to be a serious challenger.

Didn't he claim last week that he communicates with the parents of recruits? How scary is that? Maybe he can blame himself for a bad recruiting class. He would scare away any sane person.

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on February 01, 2016, 07:27:13 pm
Didn't he claim last week that he communicates with the parents of recruits? How scary is that?

I wouldn't call sending recruits a signed copy of "The Economics of Sex" communicating with recruits.

I mean check out these sweet ass drawings from his book.....I can't stop laughing.

LZH

Quote from: hog13hog on February 01, 2016, 08:10:47 pm
I wouldn't call sending recruits a signed copy of "The Economics of Sex" communicating with recruits.

I mean check out these sweet ass drawings from his book.....I can't stop laughing.

That is just bizarre.

urkillnmesmalls

"The other immediate need is a running back with the early departure of Alex Collins. And the Razorbacks will sign a few. But in all the days of my life watching the Razorbacks, the guy who is typically the most touted at running back in the recruiting class is typically not the guy who pans out. Often it is the other recruit who has something to prove."

Let's stick with the contradictory theme here, because it's pervasive in this gem you've uncorked Rob. 

Yeah, Madre Hill, Cedric Cobbs, DMAC, and Alex Collins were terrible and never panned out.  You nailed that observation, and I  especially love the Alex Collins reference, only to then make the claim that it's always the "less touted" players that end up having something to prove who pan out.

Alex was 5 star, and he panned out pretty well didn't he Robert? 

Also, Bama gets more 5 star players than Arkansas, but it's not like they field a full team of them.  You make it sound like every player on the field for Bama is a 5 star recruit.         
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

Hawgar The Horrible

FYI, the Hogs picked up another nice pledge last night, Roberta. Don't look now, but there is a distinct possibility of this class being one of the best ever signed at Arkansas, Roberta. Have a nice day, Roberta.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 01, 2016, 11:45:49 am
Robert your preaching to the Choir , We all seen the bust and the where did that guy come from over the years.  So far on Paper we should have the best class yet under this Staff. 

Ah yes. Roberts siamese twin appears...........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: smb on February 02, 2016, 05:21:11 am
Why isn't this post in Vent N Rumors?

Shouldn't there be one for Landfill Material.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NLRHog92

Truly tried giving this a chance, but man, what a DUFUS! This is absolutely TURRIBLE!  :puke:

NaturalStateReb

I'd say a few things about recruiting and this year:

1.  As things stand right now, this class is about average or a little above average for Arkansas in the recruiting rankings--probably somewhere about #25.  While that's not epic, it's not too bad, either.

2.  These numbers are going to change in the next 36 hours.  Arkansas has guys that they're still trying to nail down; maybe more so than usual this late in the process.  While Arkansas isn't going to get everyone they're chasing, they will get some.

3.  Recruiting rankings, for either teams or players, aren't scientific.  Reasonable minds can differ.

4.  Teams recruit to fill their needs.  The big question will be whether Arkansas fills theirs.  I think the answer right now is a cautious "yes."  They could probably use some more defensive help. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogcard1964

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on February 02, 2016, 08:18:49 am
I'd say a few things about recruiting and this year:

1.  As things stand right now, this class is about average or a little above average for Arkansas in the recruiting rankings--probably somewhere about #25.  While that's not epic, it's not too bad, either.

2.  These numbers are going to change in the next 36 hours.  Arkansas has guys that they're still trying to nail down; maybe more so than usual this late in the process.  While Arkansas isn't going to get everyone they're chasing, they will get some.

3.  Recruiting rankings, for either teams or players, aren't scientific.  Reasonable minds can differ.

4.  Teams recruit to fill their needs.  The big question will be whether Arkansas fills theirs.  I think the answer right now is a cautious "yes."  They could probably use some more defensive help.

The recruiting has to improve and so far it's just not.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 02, 2016, 08:23:21 am
The recruiting has to improve and so far it's just not.

You may be right...but at this point we don't have a clue if recruiting is improving or not.  Recruiting players that can develop is far more important than their star-rating, in my opinion. 

Of course, it would be ideal to get the complete package...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 02, 2016, 08:31:47 am
You may be right...but at this point we don't have a clue if recruiting is improving or not.  Recruiting players that can develop is far more important than their star-rating, in my opinion. 

Of course, it would be ideal to get the complete package...

Agree

I like what we have so far in Whaley, Agim, Guidry and Capps but I'd like to see some more linebackers and RBs.