Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True expectations being a hog/ hog fan

Started by Dirttrackhog, January 30, 2016, 04:00:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeOfPork

Quote from: westside_player on February 02, 2016, 03:35:14 pm
You can't jump to that conclusion when he can't even beat Toledo, Texas Tech or the Texas Aggies. And he would not have gone to Atlanta over Alabama.

Toledo and TTech have nothing to do with making it to Atlanta.

And yeah, I would have liked our chances against a Mike Shula Alabama team.

westside_player

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 01, 2016, 10:47:36 pm
I don't understand the people that believe any of our coaches will become another King Clown.

He became vilified through a lot more than his W-L record.

For example:
His antics (to list them all would require a team of typists) and how he played up to Broyles and the fiasco that played out when he had the Springdale 5.  How he took back the offense and more than likely ruined the end of that season didn't exactly sit well either.

No.  BB would have to become something he doesn't seem to be for that kind of maelstrom to hit him.

An egomaniacal idiot.

IN this day of social media, fans will make anyone here a "king clown" one way or the other. It happened with Danny Ford, it happened with John L. It happened with Petrino. With Petrino the only difference was he thought he was God in part because that's how the fan base treated him, and he thought he could get away with anything he wanted. So in a sense he was turned in to King clown too. With Bielema, I can just visualize a couple 6-6 type seasons and fans making him a king clown somehow too.

westside_player

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 02, 2016, 03:39:43 pm
Toledo and TTech have nothing to do with making it to Atlanta.

And yeah, I would have liked our chances against a Mike Shula Alabama team.

Shula isn't the coach there anymore, Saban is. And you have to get past the Aggies and Mississippi State as well.

westside_player

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 01, 2016, 10:43:42 pm
So, if that's the case, then how do you explain 2010 and 2011 under Petrino?  You sound like someone with perpetual piss in their oatmeal.  Yes, I realize he benefited from some banner in-state recruits during his time here, but it PROVED without a doubt that we CAN compete at the highest levels. 

I can't stand Petrino, but you can't ignore the fact that with the right player mix, it's not nearly as gloom and doom as you're painting it. 

That being said, it will ALWAYS be done from an underdog role to some extent, even if BB managed to corral some top recruiting classes, simply because comparatively speaking, our state puts us at a disadvantage population wise.  More numbers, more chances...simple math.  It's a big reason why FV and BV have had a stranglehold on the 7A championship for what seems like forever now.   

Petrino benefited by a lot of upperclassmen in those years that Nutt recruited. Had Petrino started here in 2005, would we have had those records those years? I doubt it. I don't think he would have sustained the same talent level Nutt did very long.

But like someone else said; we were really no closer in those years than any other year of winning the SEC title. Alabama, LSU, and Auburn in their BCS appearance years were still several touchdowns better on the field than us.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: westside_player on February 02, 2016, 03:55:00 pm
Shula isn't the coach there anymore, Saban is. And you have to get past the Aggies and Mississippi State as well.

Yeah, that's precisely my point.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=608536.msg10160841#msg10160841

DukeOfPork

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on February 02, 2016, 04:59:18 pm
1.  Petrino would have normalized.

I do agree on this. 

Had Bobby not wrecked his bike and set off a chain of events that led to his downfall, I would have been happy to have him remain as our coach for a long time. 

But the stars were aligned in 2010 and 2011.  Those were high water marks and were never going to be the new "norm".  His subpar recruiting and lack of defense was going to pull us back to Earth.

But I sure enjoyed those high water marks.

wachhog

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on February 02, 2016, 04:59:18 pm
Going "all in" on pocket sixes and sucking out some pretty fortunate draws.

Those teams were smoke and mirrors as evidenced by Alabama and Ohio State.  They could be explosive, capable of getting hot from behind the arc in basketball terms, but were nowhere near actual SEC Titles.  We were significantly closer in 98 and 06 but those were completely different circumstances.

Here's what I believe I know:

1.  Petrino would have normalized.
2.  He was a horrendous hire and set us back many years.

What I don't know is, precisely, when that excuse should disappear for results at the moment.  I like where we appear to be headed but I'll be disappointed to find this is the mean.

You missed the point ENTIRELY.  What I'm saying is, if a SHOT...at something big, and possibly even a NC is the goal, then THAT was the evidence that it's possible if everything goes well.  That's what I've said all along....Petrino got LUCKY in many respects, based on in state talent that was extremely rare. 

But....if BB can keep us tough on the LOS, then we're just some dynamic difference makers away from having that again once in awhile.  And like I've said all along...he may or may not get those players.  I like his chances a LOT more after last season under Enos's tutelage for the offense.  I think more offensive players will start looking at the Hogs now. 

Defense...not so sure, but we saw leaps and bounds from 2013 to 2014, so maybe we'll see something similar. 

I didn't say squat about us being a perennial 10 win team.  What I'm saying is...get most of the pieces in place, and anything is possible, as we saw in 2010 and 2011.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

westside_player

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 02, 2016, 06:46:17 pm
You missed the point ENTIRELY.  What I'm saying is, if a SHOT...at something big, and possibly even a NC is the goal, then THAT was the evidence that it's possible if everything goes well.  That's what I've said all along....Petrino got LUCKY in many respects, based on in state talent that was extremely rare. 

But....if BB can keep us tough on the LOS, then we're just some dynamic difference makers away from having that again once in awhile.  And like I've said all along...he may or may not get those players.  I like his chances a LOT more after last season under Enos's tutelage for the offense.  I think more offensive players will start looking at the Hogs now. 

Defense...not so sure, but we saw leaps and bounds from 2013 to 2014, so maybe we'll see something similar. 

I didn't say squat about us being a perennial 10 win team.  What I'm saying is...get most of the pieces in place, and anything is possible, as we saw in 2010 and 2011.   

Your looking at the record those years though and forgetting the fact that both years we got blown out by 3 different teams in the SECW. So while the record looks like we were close, we weren't any closer on the field vs the talent we have to play every year than we always have been.

I can concede the idea that Bielema will put together some good offensive and defensive lines while he's here. And he will get some good play makers. But we usually have "good" by SEC standards 2 out of every 4 years anyway in those spots. Don't count on Enos or any assistant to be here long if their unit is successful or if they are a well respected coach. And remember above all else, everyone else in the conference is paid to recruit good linemen and skill players too. So while we may have a year we've got 8 first day draft picks on the field at once, half our schedule will have more than that.

AirWarren

Middle of the pack SEC team. And that's ok. We have disadvantages to overcome more than any sec team.

I'm good for a once or twice every 10 year 10-11 win season with a normal win range of 7-9 wins a year.

bphi11ips

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 02, 2016, 06:46:17 pm

All things are possible with strength in the trenches and at QB.  Football changes, but not much.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 02, 2016, 09:25:48 pm
All things are possible with strength in the trenches and at QB.  Football changes, but not much.

Admit it bp, you want to see a couple of wishbone plays sprinkled in here or there.   :P

bphi11ips

Quote from: LZH on February 02, 2016, 09:35:18 pm
Admit it bp, you want to see a couple of wishbone plays sprinkled in here or there.   :P

Only if I'm running it.

I like what I saw last year on offense just fine.  Defense is catching up. 

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 02, 2016, 09:38:58 pm
Only if I'm running it.

I like what I saw last year on offense just fine.  Defense is catching up. 

I have actually wondered if we put in a few plays how well that package would do, since no one ever practices against the wishbone anymore.

Fwiw, I will watch Georgia Tech anytime they're on television. I miss seeing a good triple option wishbone team do its thing.

hogcard1964

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 03, 2016, 10:19:59 am
Being a hog fan is like being a chicago cubs fan. Most years mediocre, a few years bad, a few years good. But never win a championship.

I beg to differ.  Post WWII, most Cub years have been bad.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: Rison Razor Hog on January 31, 2016, 02:56:02 pm
This is what I think, too! Why mope around like a loser, look toward where we are going. The progress is obvious. I love the Hogs, and don't understand the "poor little ol' Arkansas" attitude of some posters here.

I just don't think that Coach Bielema is that man that will be able to take us to where we want to go. That isn't "moping".
You don't become an Arkansas fan, having any other attitude, than the one that begins each and every season with "we're
gonna kick some ass this year". You also, don't accept "long term plans", that are an iota longer than 5 years. This is going
be Bielema's 4th year. That's an entire team of his recruits, excluding red shirt seniors. If that "obvious progress", continues
into this 4th year, (which most experts predict it not to) my own attitude concerning Bielema might change as well. But
regardless if we hire Bozo the Clown to coach the HOGS, I begin each season when we are 0-0, believing that THIS ......will
be the year.

DeltaBoy

Since Hatfield Left it been like the Hee Haw Song except for 2 of Nutts years (when we won the West) and the last 2 of Bobby P .

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

dowils

Quote from: LZH on January 31, 2016, 08:30:17 am
Waaaa waaaa waaaa.... stick your butt up in the air, no lube needed. We should expect nothing less than a program that competes for the SEC West every 3 out of 4 years.

Win?... No, but compete? Absolutely. Quit acting like we are happy to be sucking ye ole hind tit.

Well you know what they say:  Sometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: dowils on February 04, 2016, 02:58:29 pm
Well you know what they say:  Sometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

That is so inspirational. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 04, 2016, 01:00:13 pm
Since Hatfield Left it been like the Hee Haw Song except for 2 of Nutts years (when we won the West) and the last 2 of Bobby P .

Now you just went over a lot of people's heads with a Hee Haw reference, and I don't mean because they've never heard of Hee Haw. 😀

HiggiePiggy

My expectations are 8 to 10 wins a year and every 5 to 7 years we are playing for the SEC championship. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jgphillips3

My expectations of football are, over a decade:

1. only one losing season. 
2. At least 7 wins every year for 8 of the 10 (which allows for one losing season and one 6-6).
3. At least a .500 bowl record.
4. At least 4 years where we are a legitimate threat to win an SEC title and one in which we do and go to the playoffs.

PorkSoda

expectations?

lets look at history against the SEC

166 wins 185 losses   8 ties   .474 win%

History says we are a sub .500 SEC team.

any year that we are .500 or above in conference is a good year.

anytime we get a great in state crop of recruits, I expect to make a run at the SECCG over the next few years.  last time that happened was with the Warren kids + Joe Adams.  before that it was dmac.

That is what I expect, that is what history has shown that we should expect.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Kevin

8 wins most years
6 or 7 down years
possible 10 or more wins about every 5 years
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DukeOfPork

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 05, 2016, 01:01:02 pm
expectations?

lets look at history against the SEC

166 wins 185 losses   8 ties   .474 win%

History says we are a sub .500 SEC team.

any year that we are .500 or above in conference is a good year.

anytime we get a great in state crop of recruits, I expect to make a run at the SECCG over the next few years.  last time that happened was with the Warren kids + Joe Adams.  before that it was dmac.

That is what I expect, that is what history has shown that we should expect.

Ouch.

But you're spot on.

Deep Shoat

Why do you people call yourselves Hog fans?
All Gas, No Brakes!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 05, 2016, 01:57:03 pm
Why do you people call yourselves Hog fans?

Some people's definition of a fan is to be willingly delusional about your team's chances.  That's just not how I define it.

Believe me, I want to win as much as anyone.  And I too used to be delusional about our chances.  I remember faithfully reading Hawgs Illustrated propaganda from cover-to-cover and thinking we were about to turn the corner with Crowe...then Ford...then Nutt....etc., etc.

But I see where we're lacking now.  I just grew tired of people blowing smoke up my butt.  Like "A Few Good Men", I want to know the truth!!

We can't improve if we don't have an honest assessment of our deficiencies.

code red

Quote from: Dirttrackhog on January 30, 2016, 04:00:11 am
I know there are .500 seasons out there. I never expect below that. I also know that a national championship season wont be every year. But realistically I expect us once or twice in a four year period to have a shot and once every in 8 years to actually win the SEC and go to the college playoff. What do y'all think? Expect?
No.  History tells a different story.  Until we recruit better.  We will not sniff a championship.  The SEC network has pumped money into the SEC to the point at which the absolute best players will go to the elite SEC teams.  We need to be better than 10th or 11 th in the SEC to get it done.  That said...we are ascending and I am fine with spoiling the big boys chances at championships.  But.  Our biggest wins...if you look at em...were against good teams but not great teams.  Ole Miss lost to Memphis and LSU was a dumpster fire.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Biggus Piggus

Let's worry about sniffing a championship when it's a relevant discussion, after we've strung together more than two seasons above .500.
[CENSORED]!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: code red on February 05, 2016, 02:43:18 pm
No.  History tells a different story.  Until we recruit better.  We will not sniff a championship.  The SEC network has pumped money into the SEC to the point at which the absolute best players will go to the elite SEC teams.  We need to be better than 10th or 11 th in the SEC to get it done.  That said...we are ascending and I am fine with spoiling the big boys chances at championships.  But.  Our biggest wins...if you look at em...were against good teams but not great teams.  Ole Miss lost to Memphis and LSU was a dumpster fire.

But....the fact remains, they ARE at the top in recruiting, and we still managed to beat them both two years in a row.  Maybe it took a bad QB for one, and a lucky play for the other, but the point is...it's not impossible as the pessimists are making it out to be.  In fact, I dare say that if we had 2014's defense this season, AND didn't have all of the injuries we sustained early on, we very well could have been competing for a NC.  Big if's, but the point remains...we're not a universe away.   

There's no doubt in my mind that if we want to compete year in and year out, then we need to get in the top 10 nationally in recruiting.  It doesn't mean we can rise up every few years though.  But...I am NOT convinced that we will ever topple the Bama and LSU's of the world in recruiting, so we better find a different way to beat that door down.  As for why Ole Miss is doing so well....I haven't looked lately, but if they're just getting the top kids out of Mississippi, that would be a pretty good head start.  Also, don't color me shocked if something turns out to be amiss down there...
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 05, 2016, 02:46:32 pm
Let's worry about sniffing a championship when it's a relevant discussion, after we've strung together more than two seasons above .500.

I completely agree.

I just want to establish some semblance of relevancy first.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 05, 2016, 03:16:14 pm
As for why Ole Miss is doing so well....I haven't looked lately, but if they're just getting the top kids out of Mississippi, that would be a pretty good head start.  Also, don't color me shocked if something turns out to be amiss down there...

They're getting top players from everywhere.

Ole Miss signed the #1 player out of Texas and the #1 player out of Florida.

Let that sink in for a moment.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 05, 2016, 03:18:01 pm
I completely agree.

I just want to establish some semblance of relevancy first.

It's a matter of getting every facet on the field at once, which is what we've historically failed to do.  HDN had some pretty good teams, but even when our offense and defense were pretty stout, we'd stink to high heaven on special teams and lose a game or two because of them. 

It just seems that it comes down to depth, which is directly related to recruiting.  I am hopeful that CBB is recruiting to our needs, and that it's all coming together.  Defense this season...kinda stunk.  Even with that being said, our offense stunk too out of the gate, but carried us the last half of the year after they got past the injuries to the players everyone expected to be on the field.  If the offense had just come out of the gate on all cylinders, we easily could have finished last season much differently. 

It's just frustrating as a Hog fan to see talent come and go, and not to quite have the amount of players necessary to get it all on the same page.  But....that's how MOST fan bases feel, and we're just more passionate than most, so it stings more. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 05, 2016, 03:23:20 pm
They're getting top players from everywhere.

Ole Miss signed the #1 player out of Texas and the #1 player out of Florida.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Yeah, I know they've been making waves, and it is definitely a little odd to start seeing them up there like that.  It's almost as if they endured the HDN days, and some of the upper crust got together and said, "This ain't workin'....let's try an approach closer to Auburn and see how that works out for us."   >:(   

I figure right about now...FLA and Bama are starting to do some investigative work.   ;)

westside_player

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 05, 2016, 03:16:14 pm
But....the fact remains, they ARE at the top in recruiting, and we still managed to beat them both two years in a row.  Maybe it took a bad QB for one, and a lucky play for the other, but the point is...it's not impossible as the pessimists are making it out to be.  In fact, I dare say that if we had 2014's defense this season, AND didn't have all of the injuries we sustained early on, we very well could have been competing for a NC.  Big if's, but the point remains...we're not a universe away.   

There's no doubt in my mind that if we want to compete year in and year out, then we need to get in the top 10 nationally in recruiting.  It doesn't mean we can rise up every few years though.  But...I am NOT convinced that we will ever topple the Bama and LSU's of the world in recruiting, so we better find a different way to beat that door down.  As for why Ole Miss is doing so well....I haven't looked lately, but if they're just getting the top kids out of Mississippi, that would be a pretty good head start.  Also, don't color me shocked if something turns out to be amiss down there...

I think we will have a lot of years where we win a game we shouldn't. The Ole Miss game this year was a classic example.  LSU always has a lot more talent but they never seem to play us very well or hard for the last several years.  The problem is we turn around and lay an egg against teams like Mississippi State 2 years in a row now. That's one thing I don't see changing around here and it's been this way with all our coaches. Win one you shouldn't but lose one you shouldn't.  Or win 2 you shouldn't and lose 2 you shouldn't.  When you lose to Texas Tech, Mississippi State and Toledo at home, it kind of cancels out your goodwill wins on the road at LSU and Ole Miss

DukeOfPork

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 05, 2016, 03:27:36 pm
Yeah, I know they've been making waves, and it is definitely a little odd to start seeing them up there like that.  It's almost as if they endured the HDN days, and some of the upper crust got together and said, "This ain't workin'....let's try an approach closer to Auburn and see how that works out for us."   >:(   

I figure right about now...FLA and Bama are starting to do some investigative work.   ;)

When I see that chipmunk mug of their country bumpkin coach, and I realize that the team he coaches is located in tiny Oxford, MS, I am just puzzled as to how the best players in the nation - who could go absolutely anywhere - think "to hell with Bama and FSU and all of the major powers....I want to go play for that guy at that little school that has never been to Atlanta in their entire history."

I mean, I get it that he is somehow a great recruiter.  But something isn't quite right here.

westside_player

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 05, 2016, 05:47:58 pm
When I see that chipmunk mug of their country bumpkin coach, and I realize that the team he coaches is located in tiny Oxford, MS, I am just puzzled as to how the best players in the nation - who could go absolutely anywhere - think "to hell with Bama and FSU and all of the major powers....I want to go play for that guy at that little school that has never been to Atlanta in their entire history."

I mean, I get it that he is somehow a great recruiter.  But something isn't quite right here.

Maybe these kids want to make history with a great man and ball coach

bphi11ips

westside_player

I was doing some statistical analysis today and there's one thing that disturbs me. Missouri is a program we are historically 3-4 against.  Their state population is more than double ours. A study from 2013 shows their state had 24 players in the NFL while Arkansas had 16.  If Barry Odom, or someone down the line goes in there and can recruit and coach, then aren't they gonna typically be better than us? We talk about getting by Alabama, and LSU, but what about Missouri?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: westside_player on February 05, 2016, 07:23:29 pm
I was doing some statistical analysis today and there's one thing that disturbs me. Missouri is a program we are historically 3-4 against.  Their state population is more than double ours. A study from 2013 shows their state had 24 players in the NFL while Arkansas had 16.  If Barry Odom, or someone down the line goes in there and can recruit and coach, then aren't they gonna typically be better than us? We talk about getting by Alabama, and LSU, but what about Missouri?
I like the way you say "we" like you are actually an Arkansas fan...
All Gas, No Brakes!

bphi11ips

You call that statistical analysis?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: westside_player on February 05, 2016, 06:10:52 pm
Maybe these kids want to make history with a great man and ball coach

No, that definitely isn't it.

razorbacker3

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 01, 2016, 10:37:32 am
I think Bielema is doing pretty well.  He has built an identity and we are making consistent progress each year.

Our weakness under Bielema is the same weakness that we have always had: subpar recruiting.
Only in the SEC would top 30 recruiting be considered "sub-par". :D

DukeOfPork

Quote from: razorbacker3 on February 05, 2016, 11:34:10 pm
Only in the SEC would top 30 recruiting be considered "sub-par". :D

That is exactly right.  In any other conference, I would feel like our recruiting is good enough to have a hope of competing for the conference championship.

But Top 30 just means you are ranked about #9 or #10 in the SEC.  That isn't good enough.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: westside_player on February 05, 2016, 04:27:56 pm
I think we will have a lot of years where we win a game we shouldn't. The Ole Miss game this year was a classic example.  LSU always has a lot more talent but they never seem to play us very well or hard for the last several years.  The problem is we turn around and lay an egg against teams like Mississippi State 2 years in a row now. That's one thing I don't see changing around here and it's been this way with all our coaches. Win one you shouldn't but lose one you shouldn't.  Or win 2 you shouldn't and lose 2 you shouldn't.  When you lose to Texas Tech, Mississippi State and Toledo at home, it kind of cancels out your goodwill wins on the road at LSU and Ole Miss

Dude, you need to find another board if that's the best you can do.  We ALL KNOW that there were extenuating circumstances around the Toledo and T Tech losses.  You are just choosing to ignore it, because it serves your agenda better.  Yes, we should have beaten Miss State, but they exposed our defense well and it was a bad match up. 

The point is, and continues to be, we're competitive with everyone.  Period.  The only game we've lost in the past two seasons where we weren't competitive was when UGA demolished us.  Outside of that, eliminate an injury here or there, and get a little better defense on the field, and things would look a lot different. 

It's cool that you don't see it that way, and if calling yourself a "realist" and still proclaiming to be a fan makes you feel better, then game on.  But...you're not exhibiting anything that would label you as a fan.  It's closer to a hater.   

WilsonHog

My expectations as a Hog fan. Okay.

I expect that I'll attend five or six games in Fayetteville next fall, and that win or lose I'll have an enjoyable weekend.

I expect that regardless of the results of any game, I'll be excited about attending the next one in RRS.

I expect that we'll make a bowl game, that I'll attend, and that I'll have a great time.

I expect that I'll be pleased with the type of leadership Coach Bielema is bringing to our program.

I expect that our athletes will be held accountable for their actions.

I expect that our coaches and athletes will be outstanding representatives of UA.

westside_player

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2016, 07:20:49 am
Dude, you need to find another board if that's the best you can do.  We ALL KNOW that there were extenuating circumstances around the Toledo and T Tech losses.  You are just choosing to ignore it, because it serves your agenda better.  Yes, we should have beaten Miss State, but they exposed our defense well and it was a bad match up. 

The point is, and continues to be, we're competitive with everyone.  Period.  The only game we've lost in the past two seasons where we weren't competitive was when UGA demolished us.  Outside of that, eliminate an injury here or there, and get a little better defense on the field, and things would look a lot different. 

It's cool that you don't see it that way, and if calling yourself a "realist" and still proclaiming to be a fan makes you feel better, then game on.  But...you're not exhibiting anything that would label you as a fan.  It's closer to a hater.

Extenuating circumstances around the Toledo loss? Brother I can't even tell you what state Toledo is from. And we're gonna be losing to teams that play in conferences I never heard of? Teams that got beat by Western Michigan? Or losing to a Texas Tech team who was 4-5 in the Big12? Losing these games at home?  Injuries are part of the game. Everyone has them. Whats it going to be like in 2016 when our senior QB is gone, most of our line, and Hunter Henry and Alex Collins.

Yes I am a die hard fan. But, my expectation is that we can continue to lose these types of games.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I lived in St Louis and it has tons of Illinois and Kansas fans.  It's on the border of Big 10 country and I think they identify more with the Big 10.  The other major metro area is KC which obviously is divided loyalty as well.  The more southern and central parts of Missouri probably are bigger Missouri strongholds, but they are predominantly white and their highschool football is possibly worse than Arkansas.  The last Missouri coach probably did as good a job there as can be expected.  I wouldn't be surprised with a substantial drop off in the Mizzou football team over the next 5 years especially if Florida, Georgia and Tenn start playing football on the level they are capable.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 06, 2016, 07:32:19 am
My expectations as a Hog fan. Okay.

I expect that I'll attend five or six games in Fayetteville next fall, and that win or lose I'll have an enjoyable weekend.

I expect that regardless of the results of any game, I'll be excited about attending the next one in RRS.

I expect that we'll make a bowl game, that I'll attend, and that I'll have a great time.

I expect that I'll be pleased with the type of leadership Coach Bielema is bringing to our program.

I expect that our athletes will be held accountable for their actions.

I expect that our coaches and athletes will be outstanding representatives of UA.

Good summary.  I'll distill it further.

I expect to die a Razorbacks fan.

I expect the Hogs to be the best they can be within the rules governing the sport.

bvillepig

Top fifteen ranking 8-10 years. Down years or major injuries in and out of the pollS but very competitive.