Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True expectations being a hog/ hog fan

Started by Dirttrackhog, January 30, 2016, 04:00:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirttrackhog

I know there are .500 seasons out there. I never expect below that. I also know that a national championship season wont be every year. But realistically I expect us once or twice in a four year period to have a shot and once every in 8 years to actually win the SEC and go to the college playoff. What do yall think? Expect?

bennyl08

At equilibrium, I expect Arkansas to average at least 9 regular season wins each year with 7 wins being a down year for the program. Similarly, I'd say ever 4 seasons or so we should be in real contention to win the SEC and actually making the playoffs about once a decade, maybe a bit more. Granted, I've also come to expect the program to be snake bit and really build up hope just to yank the rug out from under us right at the cusp.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

I wish Arkansas would compete at a level to make the SECCG every 4 to 8 years and therefore be a playoff team at least once every 8 years.  It will not happen.  Reasons:

1.  Administration usually gets tied up in politics to the point of crushing the program:  Think White---Nutt---Broyles to some extent and even now with Long---BB, etc..

2.  We are in a conference that just doesn't allow teams the upward mobility that every other conference has.  Its tough here and the lower ranking teams have a very difficult time climbing up through the top 6 or so teams.

3.  Recruiting:  unless we get a coach and staff that can go nationwide, really nationwide, and gather the hosses, no coach can coach us to the top.  In spite of local belief, we do not have that now and haven't ever actually had that.

4.  Fans:  We fans settle sort of like that current TV advertisement.  Maybe its because we are Settlers, we settle for less and strongly justify our position. 

We need for about 6 teams that are usually above us to all have down years in the same year while we have a very good year.  Could happen any year but hasn't happened yet for us n the SEC.  That would get us an SECC.  Then we'd need the same for us to win the NC, 3 or more teams that are there just like we are because the steamrollers are having down years together.

Shrevepork

Quote from: 12247 on January 30, 2016, 06:51:03 am
I wish Arkansas would compete at a level to make the SECCG every 4 to 8 years and therefore be a playoff team at least once every 8 years.  It will not happen.  Reasons:

1.  Administration usually gets tied up in politics to the point of crushing the program:  Think White---Nutt---Broyles to some extent and even now with Long---BB, etc..

2.  We are in a conference that just doesn't allow teams the upward mobility that every other conference has.  Its tough here and the lower ranking teams have a very difficult time climbing up through the top 6 or so teams.

3.  Recruiting:  unless we get a coach and staff that can go nationwide, really nationwide, and gather the hosses, no coach can coach us to the top.  In spite of local belief, we do not have that now and haven't ever actually had that.

4.  Fans:  We fans settle sort of like that current TV advertisement.  Maybe its because we are Settlers, we settle for less and strongly justify our position. 

We need for about 6 teams that are usually above us to all have down years in the same year while we have a very good year.  Could happen any year but hasn't happened yet for us n the SEC.  That would get us an SECC.  Then we'd need the same for us to win the NC, 3 or more teams that are there just like we are because the steamrollers are having down years together.

That's a pretty sorry wish.  When I wish, I wish BIG.

Cinco de Hogo

Evidently history doesn't teach many lessons. 

We are a mid-tier SEC program, that was decided 24 years ago and it came with a lifetime membership to Augusta.  Frank Broyles has told you this and history has proven it.

Don't get your panties in a wad over something you can't change.  Ole Miss hasn't cheated near as much in the last four years combined as Bama does ever single year but guess who is fix'n to get disiplined.  That is what will happen to Arkansas if we get above the 8.5 win threshold.

Only we fire coaches for that(winning), we don't wait for the NCAA to start looking at us.

HogHolio

Wow. I have to say if I thought this way I'd probably just give up watching football.  Why take all the fun out of things with downer thoughts.

Pig In The City

When Saban is gone, your dreams may come true.

LZH

Waaaa waaaa waaaa.... stick your butt up in the air, no lube needed. We should expect nothing less than a program that competes for the SEC West every 3 out of 4 years.

Win?... No, but compete? Absolutely. Quit acting like we are happy to be sucking ye ole hind tit.

BornaHog

Quote from: LZH on January 31, 2016, 08:30:17 am
Waaaa waaaa waaaa.... stick your butt up in the air, no lube needed. We should expect nothing less than a program that competes for the SEC West every 3 out of 4 years.

Win?... No, but compete? Absolutely. Quit acting like we are happy to be sucking ye ole hind tit.

This right here!  If CBB didn't feel this way too he wouldn't have taken this job! CBB is a very proud and confident man and he has morals that so many that post on this board lack, my opinion, from what they post like. Just like the kids he is trying to recruit, he wants them to become men of their word, while they are here. The coaches he hires seem to be in the same mold as him, maybe not as vocal at times, but high character. He also, with the hire of CKA, may be going even more to his type of personality. This hire, CKA, may just be the type of hire that could take the entire team the rest of the way to a total BAD ASS attitude that is truly needed to get to the next level.

Myself, I'll just sit back and watch this team grow back into what I believe it is going to become, a MONSTER, just like it use to be.
The only reason there were so many heartbreaks in the 60's and 70's were the Texas refs in the old SWC. The RAZORBACKS were a force then and can be again. WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 30, 2016, 07:34:44 am
Evidently history doesn't teach many lessons. 

We are a mid-tier SEC program, that was decided 24 years ago and it came with a lifetime membership to Augusta.  Frank Broyles has told you this and history has proven it.

Don't get your panties in a wad over something you can't change.  Ole Miss hasn't cheated near as much in the last four years combined as Bama does ever single year but guess who is fix'n to get disiplined.  That is what will happen to Arkansas if we get above the 8.5 win threshold.

Only we fire coaches for that(winning), we don't wait for the NCAA to start looking at us.

Yeah, that decade long stint of mediocrity before Saban was pure coincidence.  Saban can't possibly be a great coach and a recruiting machine.  It's also impossible that the history of Bama and all the free help they got and get from mainstream media pumping them 24/7 has zero effect as well.

/sarcasm
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Dirttrackhog on January 30, 2016, 04:00:11 am
I know there are .500 seasons out there. I never expect below that. I also know that a national championship season wont be every year. But realistically I expect us once or twice in a four year period to have a shot and once every in 8 years to actually win the SEC and go to the college playoff. What do yall think? Expect?

The days of us winning or expecting to win 10-11 games are over.   We're a 6-8 win school. 

Biggus Piggus

This is why I don't get the people who have been nonstop anti-Bielema from the beginning + still look for every excuse to criticize him.

Arkansas is in the middle of a long-term transition. Long hired Bielema to put in an entirely new football culture at Arkansas. He found a coach willing to commit to a complete reconstruction.

They are trying to build a program that will produce a consistent winner. Then sustained success can enable the Razorbacks to overcome traditional barriers in recruiting. This is the program. It will stay in place. And it would help if some people would stop fighting it. We don't care about your egos. We don't care when you proclaim yourselves right about some ugly prediction. This is a long-term build, and it is going to work.
[CENSORED]!

Torqued pork

8 or 9 wins most seasons and less in rebuilding years. Maybe once or twice a decade we'll have a real shot at getting to Atlanta, but more than that is unlikely unless we find the magic formula for getting there with so-so recruiting classes by SEC standards.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 31, 2016, 12:14:19 pm
This is why I don't get the people who have been nonstop anti-Bielema from the beginning + still look for every excuse to criticize him.

Arkansas is in the middle of a long-term transition. Long hired Bielema to put in an entirely new football culture at Arkansas. He found a coach willing to commit to a complete reconstruction.

They are trying to build a program that will produce a consistent winner. Then sustained success can enable the Razorbacks to overcome traditional barriers in recruiting. This is the program. It will stay in place. And it would help if some people would stop fighting it. We don't care about your egos. We don't care when you proclaim yourselves right about some ugly prediction. This is a long-term build, and it is going to work.

This is what I think, too! Why mope around like a loser, look toward where we are going. The progress is obvious. I love the Hogs, and don't understand the "poor little ol' Arkansas" attitude of some posters here.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 31, 2016, 02:50:56 pm
8 or 9 wins most seasons and less in rebuilding years. Maybe once or twice a decade we'll have a real shot at getting to Atlanta, but more than that is unlikely unless we find the magic formula for getting there with so-so recruiting classes by SEC standards.

*whoosh* goes the point over your head.
[CENSORED]!

Torqued pork

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 31, 2016, 04:55:59 pm
If the point is we can continue to recruit in the lower half of the conference and contend it will be a first.

Even Bama has rebuilding years, but the difference is the gap between them and most is enough that it isn't as noticeable when it comes to wins and losses.

Bielema's approach is probably the best for us.

ZERO

Quote from: HogHolio on January 30, 2016, 07:56:03 am
Wow. I have to say if I thought this way I'd probably just give up watching football.  Why take all the fun out of things with downer thoughts.
Quote from: LZH on January 31, 2016, 08:30:17 am

Quote from: Shrevepork on January 30, 2016, 07:00:28 am
That's a pretty sorry wish.  When I wish, I wish BIG.
Quote from: Rison Razor Hog on January 31, 2016, 02:56:02 pm
This is what I think, too! Why mope around like a loser, look toward where we are going. The progress is obvious. I love the Hogs, and don't understand the "poor little ol' Arkansas" attitude of some posters here.

We've been a mediocre team in this conference since we joined nearly 25 years ago. Nobody can bring up this fact or let on that expectations have been tempered because of it without being bombarded with sarcasm. I want us to be good and I have relatively high expectations, but don't get annoyed at the people who have lived long enough to know what Arkansas has been about the past two+ decades.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

IronHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 31, 2016, 12:14:19 pm

Won't work if his game day coaching doesn't improve.

BB is doing a lot of things right but his team has underperformed on the field the past two years.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 31, 2016, 04:55:59 pm

I'm struggling to think of any point I've ever agreed on with torqued pork, but his post wasn't inherently linked to yours. Chances are, if it was, he would have quoted you.

Further, nothing in his post is exclusive from what you posted. If anything, it seemed to agree with your post and wasn't all that different from mine either.

The question posed isn't what we are expecting right now. It is in an equilibrium situation for the hogs, what level of success should we expect?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 31, 2016, 05:11:51 pm
If the point is we can continue to recruit in the lower half of the conference and contend it will be a first.

.........................................no
[CENSORED]!

GVTD

We're a mediocre program with basically no recruiting base. We should be happy with a bowl and expect nothing more.

westside_player

not once every 8 years. Once every 25 years maybe

King Kong

Quote from: GVTD on January 31, 2016, 06:21:01 pm
We're a mediocre program with basically no recruiting base. We should be happy with a bowl and expect nothing more.

Just finished in top 5 in 2011. Most years we should be atleast a 8 win program with 9 to 11 wins sprinkled in every 2-3 years.

Ya know, find someone who doesn't know anything about football and I don't mean the typical Hogvillian, which might qualify.  I mean someone who doesn't care and is just searching for the facts.  Let that person learn all about our history for the past 80 years.  Apply our past 80 years to project the next 20 years and look at what we are instead of what we would like to be. 

Don't get peed off when someone like myself throws in the truth.  If you choose to ignore facts, turn wishes into will happens and feel good about yourself, then have a fit.  Even I realize there isn't a Santa Claus but I still enjoy Kids believing, not so much adults.

Torqued pork

January 31, 2016, 08:06:17 pm #24 Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:49:56 pm by Torqued pork
Being ancient enough to remember the 1960's I hope for the relevance the Hogs enjoyed at that time.

Being in my 50's I realize there are obstacles to overcome I was unaware of at the time and some simply didn't exist at all in that era.

I'm glad Bielema is following the path of of taking low-risk athletes who will take their role as a Razorback seriously, and if it means the glory days aren't coming back in my lifetime I can live with it.

mhsbc59

I'm glad most of you are faceless computer screens to me cause I don't think I would like many of y'all as people
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Professor Psychosis

Just give me one national championship in my lifetime.  That's all I ask.  I got it in basketball, I need it in football.

Otherwise, 10 wins and better are great seasons that should be enjoyed, anything above is a bonus.  8-9 win seasons are good.  6-7 are okay, but you don't want too many of these in a row.  Anything less is unsatisfactory.

root_hawg

I would say you have unrealistic expectations

hogcard1964

Quote from: ZERO on January 31, 2016, 05:24:56 pm
We've been a mediocre team in this conference since we joined nearly 25 years ago. Nobody can bring up this fact or let on that expectations have been tempered because of it without being bombarded with sarcasm. I want us to be good and I have relatively high expectations, but don't get annoyed at the people who have lived long enough to know what Arkansas has been about the past two+ decades.

Agreed

Anyone know what our overall record is since 92?

HiggiePiggy

My expectation is to win the sec at least one time every 25 years........
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

LZH

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 31, 2016, 09:40:36 pm

We are running out of time then.

Torqued pork

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 31, 2016, 09:40:36 pm
Good Lord, I've lowered my expectations over the years, but not by that much. It may take a miracle or three but it could happen.

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 31, 2016, 09:25:55 pm
Agreed

Anyone know what our overall record is since 92?

Since 1992, our SEC record is 91-107-2 for a winning percentage of .4600
Since 1992, our OVERALL record is 160-131-2 for a winning percentage of .5460

I have been watching Arkansas Razorback football since I was a kid, attending my first game in Little Rock in 1960.

Based upon our history since we entered the SEC, I think it is unrealistic to expect to win an SEC Championship every 5 or even every 10 years.  It's just not gonna happen.  Arkansas has a fairly weak high school football program compared to other SEC states and produces a fraction of the D-1 players that LA, MS, AL, GA, FL & TN do.  That being said, I do think we should be able to compete for the SEC WEst consistently, and win the SEC West once every 8-10 years. 

I think Bielema is going about recruiting the right way, and if we can keep the few Arkansas players at home each year and add some 3 and 4 star players from Louisiana, Texas, Georgia, and Florida, we shoould have a solid program that wins 9-10 games consistently.  :razorback: :razorback:
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

Deep Shoat

Why do you keep pretending you are a fan?
All Gas, No Brakes!

hogcard1964

That's pretty sad.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Dirttrackhog on January 30, 2016, 04:00:11 am

If Nick Saban was our coach, I would agree.

westside_player

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on January 31, 2016, 10:58:21 pm

I have been watching Arkansas Razorback football since I was a kid, attending my first game in Little Rock in 1960.

Based upon our history since we entered the SEC, I think it is unrealistic to expect to win an SEC Championship every 5 or even every 10 years.  It's just not gonna happen.  Arkansas has a fairly weak high school football program compared to other SEC states and produces a fraction of the D-1 players that LA, MS, AL, GA, FL & TN do.  That being said, I do think we should be able to compete for the SEC WEst consistently, and win the SEC West once every 8-10 years. 

I think Bielema is going about recruiting the right way, and if we can keep the few Arkansas players at home each year and add some 3 and 4 star players from Louisiana, Texas, Georgia, and Florida, we shoould have a solid program that wins 9-10 games consistently.  :razorback: :razorback:

The first part of this makes total sense. The last part I don't agree with. We are doing the same thing we've been doing since 1992. Getting a few decent players from other states where the home state didn't offer such as LSU, Georgia , Florida, a Texas school, doesn't equate to 9 win seasons. It equates to 7-5, and 3-5 to 4-4 in the SEC most years. Nothings going to change much since the start of the 92 year except we have 2 new opponents who both have better recruiting bases than us, Missouri and Texas A&M

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 01, 2016, 07:54:15 am

That's pretty sad.

A lot of honesty and realism above.  I honestly believe, at this time, that Arkansas could have achieved near parity with Alabama and LSU over the last 25 years had we not had some terrible coaches.  Jack Crowe was simply horrible, and so was John L. Smith.  We have had two interim coaches, Kines for almost a full season and Smith for a full season.  Ford was a proven winner worthy of the position, but we either weren't patient enough to let him finish, or he lacked the fire in his belly.  Probably a bit of both.  Nutt is not a top shelf head coach, and he bought into Broyles' notion that Arkansas can simply not compete in the upper echelon of the SEC.  Through all of this Arkansas managed to play in 3 SEC championship games in 15 years. 

Bobby Petrino proved Arkansas can win 10 plus games in back-to-back seasons.  We were a scoop and score away from beating Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl and posting consecutive Top 5 finishes.  That was about 5 years out from our last trip to Atlanta, and now about 5 years ago.

Bret Bielema inherited the worst mess imaginable.  He told us what he was going to do, and he's in the process of doing it.  Arkansas does have a lot of top talent within a 5 hour radius, and Bielema has a long-established pipeline to south Florida, where there is an overflow of available talent and no way to get out but by plane.  Looking at the trajectory of his wins, it looks a lot like other coaches who have established a slow build to years of dominance.  This recruiting class is solid.  Overall team depth is as solid as I can remember. 

Like others above, I believe the best way to predict the future is by examining the past.  Arkansas has proven it can sustain success at the highest level for a decade with a great coach (yes, I know we had 2 losing seasons in the 60's; we also won more games that decade than any other team but Texas - 180 to their 181).    Bobby Petrino is a great offensive coordinator.  Bret Bielema is a great head coach.  He's a great roster manager with an eye for up-and-coming assistants.  He has everything he needs at Arkansas to win a national championship, and I believe he will.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: IronHog on January 31, 2016, 05:38:05 pm
BB is doing a lot of things right but his team has underperformed on the field the past two years.

Arkansas' Recruiting Rankings in the SEC West:

2012:  6th out of 7
2013:  6th out of 7
2014:  6th out of 7
2015:  7th out of 7
2016:  6th out of 7

Hell, I would say we OVER-achieved on the field last year.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 01, 2016, 08:58:06 am
Arkansas' Recruiting Rankings in the SEC West:

2012:  6th out of 7
2013:  6th out of 7
2014:  6th out of 7
2015:  7th out of 7
2016:  6th out of 7

Hell, I would say we OVER-achieved on the field last year.

+1, we need a championship coach if we expect to win in Big Time Football.  Bert isnt cutting it.

Cinco de Hogo

We are probably a competent secondary away from competing with anyone in the country but dispite recruiting players that are rated as high as a lot of other schools that produce good secondary play we continually underachieve.  For the love of me I can't figure it out.  Heck, most years Vanderbilt has a better secondary than we do.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 01, 2016, 10:32:21 am
We are probably a competent secondary away from competing with anyone in the country but dispite recruiting players that are rated as high as a lot of other schools that produce good secondary play we continually underachieve.  For the love of me I can't figure it out.  Heck, most years Vanderbilt has a better secondary than we do.

That is absolutely a FALSE statement.

Where did you get the idea that we have highly rated defensive back recruits?  I assure you, we are sorely lacking in talent in our secondary and that is the #1 problem.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on February 01, 2016, 09:43:05 am
+1, we need a championship coach if we expect to win in Big Time Football.  Bret isnt cutting it.

I think Bielema is doing pretty well.  He has built an identity and we are making consistent progress each year.

Our weakness under Bielema is the same weakness that we have always had: subpar recruiting.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 01, 2016, 10:35:51 am
That is absolutely a FALSE statement.

Where did you get the idea that we have highly rated defensive back recruits?  I assure you, we are sorely lacking in talent in our secondary and that is the #1 problem.

You don't know much about recruiting do you...

Go avg out the star rankings of say the top fifty teams secondaries and then compare that to were our secondary ranks.  We don't do as bad recruiting as you think.  I was obviously overreacting purposely but I doubt you can prove its is "absolutely a false statement".

westside_player

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 01, 2016, 10:49:13 am

Go avg out the star rankings of say the top fifty teams secondaries and then compare that to were our secondary ranks.  We don't do as bad recruiting as you think.  I was obviously overreacting purposely but I doubt you can prove its is "absolutely a false statement".

I don't think it's as much to do with the star rankings but how many other programs and which other programs are offering the players we get. The situation is , there's not very many quality secondary players out there to get, period.

Hawgar The Horrible

I expect to enjoy the roller coaster. When I no longer do I'll get off, but that hasn't happened in over 50 years now.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Hogwild

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 01, 2016, 07:54:15 am

That's pretty sad.

Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Ole Miss and Miss. State are the only other teams with losing SEC records in that span.  I don't like being grouped with those teams.

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: Hogwild on February 01, 2016, 11:52:44 am
Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Ole Miss and Miss. State are the only other teams with losing SEC records in that span.  I don't like being grouped with those teams.

I hear you, but those are the facts.  I have never understood why Arkansas has such a difficult time convincing recruits to come to Fayetteville. 
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on February 01, 2016, 12:21:59 pm
I hear you, but those are the facts.  I have never understood why Arkansas has such a difficult time convincing recruits to come to Fayetteville. 

I think a lot of it is perception.
Many still think that Arkansas is where a bunch of hillbillies with bare feet run around looking for a sister to have sex with and a black man to be racist to.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 01, 2016, 10:49:13 am

So where does our secondary rank in terms of talent?  I'm guessing that you have gone through that exercise?