Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Senior Bowl news

Started by bennyl08, January 26, 2016, 12:56:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2016, 07:35:55 pm
Or they are tweeting after different plays. What little I watched, none of the South QB's did much.
Report I heard on Finebaum was all the QBs needed to go home, study, and put today behind them. Weather was bad apparently and nobody did well!

longpig

January 28, 2016, 12:09:48 am #51 Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:44:46 pm by longpig
Arkansas boys stand out like shiny new pennies in those chrome helmets   ;D
Don't be scared, be smart.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

longpig

I'd rather have BA behind center than a lot of the first round picks of late.

dcrback

Quote from: oldfart on January 27, 2016, 09:45:40 pm
I never thought i had particularly big hands (9.5) but at 78 i can still palm a basketball
Oldfart, I'm 76, short, fat and ugly...I can't palm a basketball with both hands!!
Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps...and yes, I would have sold guns to the Indians!

cardinalandwhite

"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

ricepig

I guess JWill isn't cleared to do everything? He has his helmet off and isn't participating in any contact drills. He did some non-contact stuff, though.

LZH

Quote from: jbcarol on January 28, 2016, 11:53:57 am
https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/692558119029837829

I bet Coker is saying " good Lord, look at that cool helmet, I wish I would have gone to Arkansas"........

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on January 28, 2016, 02:37:12 pm
I bet Coker is saying " good Lord, look at that cool helmet, I wish I would have gone to Arkansas"........

More like "good lord I wish I was half the QB the guy from Arkansas is".......

longpig

Were it not for that cool helmet, I wouldn't have recognized Tretola.  Kid is svelte now @ 317.

bennyl08

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/1/28/10857568/2016-senior-bowl-sheldon-rankins-jihad-ward-vernon-butler-braxton-miller

This class is loaded at the DT position, especially the senior bowl, providing tough competition for the guards. However,

QuoteAnother good guard on Wednesday was Sebastian Tretola of Arkansas. While some of his South teammates struggled to bend and get low leverage, Tretola excelled. He can really get down for someone who is 6'5, but he's not just a mauler. On Day 2 he showed he can get out on the move and pick off defenders.

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2016/1/27/10851594/2016-senior-bowl-day-2-recap

QuoteArkansas G Sebastian Tretola might be the most naturally gifted guard in Mobile. He has awesome footwork. Uses his length and agility to counter any pass rush moves. Above average speed getting to the second level.

- Arkansas QB Brandon Allen isn't the most physically imposing guy out there but he can throw it around the yard with the best of them. The position just comes naturally to him. Allen also ran the ball on several plays...in a passing drill. Shows off his pocket awareness, I guess.

Not all was good for Tretola who got "abused" in a run drill vs Bama's Jarran Reed.

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-player-team-news-features/washington-redskins-senior-bowl-outlook-offense-edition/

QuoteBrandon Allen, Arkansas (6ft 2, 210): Allen isn't the biggest QB, nor does he have any one great attribute. But he may quietly be the second best QB in Mobile. Brandon Allen has some moxie to him and appears to be a very confident players. He knows how to operate within his skillset. I've mentioned in the past that Arkansas' Head Coach, Bret Bielema, is a guy Scot McCloughan has drafted from numerous times. McCloughan even drafted a Bielema-coached-QB... some guy by the name of Russell Wilson.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/2016-senior-bowl-arkansas-rb-jonathan-williams-lost-his-senior-season-gained-intelligence

Good read on JWill.

https://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/27/wednesdays-senior-bowl-south-squad-practice-report/

QuoteOverall, the South quarterbacks were unimpressive. They were mostly inconsistent with their accuracy, often misfiring even on the most basic throws. Surprisingly, the one who was the most accurate with his passes was Arkansas' Brandon Allen, despite having relatively small hands.

Some extra notes: BA being talked about as a 5th round pick by many. Also, he scrambled a couple times on some passing drills which has been viewed negatively, either as the offense being out of rhythm, BA not understanding what was supposed to happen, or otherwise. Awkward and weird is what some are describing it as. I didn't see it, but I could also see it as BA trying to show the scouts his full range of talents, including underrated mobility.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: COCHISE on January 27, 2016, 02:04:23 pm
You would think watching film of 37 SEC games would quell any fears they might have about hand size and fumbling. If it hasn't been an issue to this point, it's probably not going to develop into one.
are you comparing the SEC to the NFL, straight across??

PP

COCHISE

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on January 28, 2016, 04:22:06 pm
are you comparing the SEC to the NFL, straight across??

PP

Is that a problem?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 27, 2016, 10:21:48 pm
Allen's hands are bigger than mine, but not by much and I'm only 5'7". I can't palm a basketball.

I'm 6'2" and my hands are only 8.25"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2016, 02:10:45 pm
I guess JWill isn't cleared to do everything? He has his helmet off and isn't participating in any contact drills. He did some non-contact stuff, though.

That's odd.  I assume since he's there he's going to play in the game?  Seems doubtful he would have gotten an invite to the Senior Bowl just to go through non-contact drills.  Maybe he tweaked something yesterday.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

tbhogfan

Poor Fran Tarkenton at 6-0, 190 would probably not even get looked at today. 

All he did was throw for 47,003 yards over a 18-year Hall of Fame Career.
Go Hogs!

PorkRinds

Quote from: tbhogfan on January 29, 2016, 11:14:34 am

He played in the 60's and 70's.  The NFL is a different animal now days.

wholehog92

Quote from: tbhogfan on January 29, 2016, 11:14:34 am

And Dick Butkus would be fined more in a year today than he earned over his career for his hall of fame play.  Times have changed.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: wholehog92 on January 29, 2016, 11:32:03 am
And Dick Butkus would be fined more in a year today than he earned over his career for his hall of fame play.  Times have changed.

Please.
Stop reminding me.
Not all change is good change.
If it were, everyone would be anxiously anticipating dying.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/693151084286734337

Predicts that "Arkansas' Brandon Allen will lead all quarterbacks in passing yards".
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ShadowHawg

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 26, 2016, 07:01:12 pm
Good to see BA getting some momentum heading into the draft. But it's crazy to me that hands size would play such a large role in drafting a QB.

Anyone know of any NFL QBs that have small hands? Brees? Guy can't have that large of hands, can he?

Makes a big difference when throwing under pressure.

jcharkansas

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 29, 2016, 07:50:53 am
That's odd.  I assume since he's there he's going to play in the game?  Seems doubtful he would have gotten an invite to the Senior Bowl just to go through non-contact drills.  Maybe he tweaked something yesterday.
I heard em say something on Bo's show about him not playing, don't know why though, they didn't say..

Big Boi

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 29, 2016, 04:10:55 pm
Makes a big difference when throwing under pressure.
Hand size started being heavily scrutinized after Daunte Culpepper and his fumbling issues. His hands were funny shaped as well.

SemperHawg

Admittedly I am too lazy to look back through the couple of pages here..What time/channel is this thing going to be on Sat?

PoconoHog

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 30, 2016, 07:42:55 am
Admittedly I am too lazy to look back through the couple of pages here..What time/channel is this thing going to be on Sat?

1:30 CT on NFL network
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

SemperHawg

Pig In The City

Brandon has the smallest hand size of any QB at the Sr Bowl. He needs to have a great game.

OPoraquê

Not sure what's changed since the day after the NC game, but BA now is back (apparently for good? unless the Senior Bowl numbers count for or against ;) ) atop the ESPN Total Quarterback Ranking Stats for the 2015 season, as well as for the best game in 2015 (there he's tied with the Appalachian State QB)...he's one of four QBs since 2004 to be atop both categories, with the others being WVU's Pat White around 2005, then later Andrew Luck and Colin Kaepernick:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr

Texas Bowl 2014 MVP.  UA career passing and single game TD leader.  2015 leader in season/game ESPN total QBR.  Senior Bowl QB.  Hope he goes out well today.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: LZH on January 28, 2016, 02:37:12 pm
I actually truly bet he is!!   ;)  Best helmet on the field by a LONG shot! ;D :razorback:

bulldog04

When is Brandon going to play?

ricepig

hoglady

BA coming in now to start the 3rd.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bulldog04

OPoraquê

Well, that ended with points.  ;D

bennyl08

BA with mostly check downs, but moves his team in for a FG.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

TebowHater

Of course other team has longest drive of the game during BA's period

Wildhog

Quote from: TebowHater on January 30, 2016, 03:38:59 pm
Of course other team has longest drive of the game during BA's period

The other two quarters took for-freaking-ever.  Of course.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hoglady

BA now gets to perform a 2 minute drill.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

The south D just didn't get it done on that drive, so BA gets very little time.

TebowHater

BA looked faster than ever on that QB scramble

bennyl08

Allen looking really good on this drive so far.

WorfHog

BA being a BA. We're really going to miss him next year.

TebowHater

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 30, 2016, 03:52:37 pm
Allen looking really good on this drive so far.

Agree. Kid can play. He is picking the North apart like they're the state of Mississippi. How are the announcers acting surprised? He's the best QB in this game

OPoraquê

Quote from: hoglady on January 30, 2016, 03:48:29 pm
BA now gets to perform a 2 minute drill.

To quote the Beach Boys: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Fddgh-WS0

BA has highest QB rating and most yards of any QB today by far right now.  Hope they score this trip.

hoglady

BA looked good on that drive.

WorfHog

HAHA, another drive ending in a blocked kick for BA...

He looked really good.

hoglady

Quote from: WorfHog on January 30, 2016, 03:56:03 pm
HAHA, another drive ending in a blocked kick for BA...

He looked really good.

He did his job.
Gronk just got hit really hard to knock the ball loose but Brandon put that pass right in his hands.

Justagp

Wish I could see this! Thanks for filling in some of the details.  :razorback: