Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Been watching some games that were just before my time. Bet you all liked

Started by Country Stylz, January 20, 2016, 04:18:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Country Stylz

This one. Hogs vs No.1 Texas. I do remember Gary Anderson for the Chargers. BTW, Where was this one played? Only asking because of tradition. Go Hogs.

Country Stylz

Ew what about this one. Was it a good one? Where was this one played?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 20, 2016, 04:18:15 pm
       This one. Hogs vs No.1 Texas. I do remember Gary Anderson for the Chargers. BTW, Where was this one played? Only asking because of tradition. Go Hogs.
It was at Fayetteville, you missed it. There was a party across the state that night from what I have heard! I know that LR partied until the wee hours of Sunday morning because I was there, Hog calls from parking lots, vehicles, sidewalks all night long! I was in a hospital room the night of the 94 championship, so don't have any reference, other than I can't imagine there was more celebration then. There is the obvious that was on a Monday night so it probably wasn't near the same.

No matter the game, please notice the defense always came out pissed off.  We may not have been the best talent, but we played over our heads most of the time.  You can still see the refuse to be denied attitude. And it usually was the same way on offense.  Well coached and big attitude.  We haven't had that in 25 years and still don't.

hogsevenseven

I think the 1981 42-11 whipping was the worst defeat of a #1 ranked team in history. Don't know if it still is. I remember that game seemed like it went on forever - probably because Texas had to pass so much from being so far behind.

Inhogswetrust

I was there! The party on Dickson was epic!

One would think that if someone posted a vid they would have seen it and thus known where it was at................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: hogsevenseven on January 20, 2016, 06:02:32 pm
I think the 1981 42-11 whipping was the worst defeat of a #1 ranked team in history. Don't know if it still is. I remember that game seemed like it went on forever - probably because Texas had to pass so much from being so far behind.

I'll tell you how much of an underdog we were in that game. I went with my mother to visit my grandmother in Pine Bluff that morning, which was an hour away, because I didn't think we had any chance whatsoever of winning. No one did. So, I never even turned the television over to watch the game. I think we were rocking the Lawrence Welk Show lol.

On our way home, we turned on the radio and I heard what the score was. It was still fairly early, maybe the beginning of the second quarter. I was all over my mother asking her to speed up, speed up, speed up.

Great day in Razorback football history.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 20, 2016, 04:22:03 pm
   Ew what about this one. Was it a good one? Where was this one played?

You are only trying to stir up trouble with your questions about where. Then again stirring up trouble is something you like sometimes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Tejano Jawg

I was at the big one in '81...I was a freshman. My first memory of game day was when the Longhorn band marched into Brough Commons chanting "TCU, TCU." (Wonder what they were chanting about 4 hours later?)

The Little Rock game was a great one too. Snapped our losing streak to the Horns. Lots of notable players...a young Billy Ray Smith, a young Gary Anderson, Tom Jones made an appearance (got sacked). Man, it's cool watching the veer being run. Something that's so different now—with all the high scoring games, mostly—versus then, the importance of ONE score. Listen to the crowd after a TD, or after the Horns missed a field goal. A different time, folks.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Jackrabbit Hog

Trivia question and answer:

Who is the only college football player to ever score touchdowns in four consecutive seasons against the University of Texas?

Gary Anderson.

Still one of my favorite Hogs of all time.  Just epically talented.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogfan58

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 20, 2016, 06:12:42 pm

One would think that if someone posted a vid they would have seen it and thus known where it was at................

I was a senior in 1981 and I remember hearing stories about "wild Dickson Street" my freshman year. All that year I'd go to Dickson and think...meh.

That night after this game, it was crazy wild. Students carrying the goal posts down the street, Hog calls all night long, by 2am the cops and fire dept were using hoses to try to break up the crowds in the streets, the sidewalks, everyone was drunk off their a**.  THAT was the Dickson Street I had heard about.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

hogsevenseven

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 20, 2016, 07:19:23 pm
Trivia question and answer:

Who is the only college football player to ever score touchdowns in four consecutive seasons against the University of Texas?

Gary Anderson.

Still one of my favorite Hogs of all time.  Just epically talented.
Wow, what a stat. One of my all time favorite Hogs, too.

hog golf

another trivia question and answer:

what was Lou Holtz's W-L record at Arkansas after the 42-11 beat-down of the Longhorns in 81?

hint: I gave you the answer
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Sow Lancelot

Oh, that '81 game.  Watched the first half with a crowd at a friend's house. Had to go to work at halftime so we hooked up a 19" B&W TV in the back room of the Burger Broil in Blutheville and watched the rest next to the onion chopper.  Not many folks got their burgers in a timely manner that afternoon.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

rickm1976

I was there.  It was glorious - almost as glorious as the '78 Orange Bowl.  Dixon street that night was wild.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: rickm1976 on January 21, 2016, 04:55:09 pm
I was there.  It was glorious - almost as glorious as the '78 Orange Bowl.  Dixon street that night was wild.

What about Dickson Street?

(sorry; couldn't resist..)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

rickm1976

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 21, 2016, 04:56:42 pm
What about Dickson Street?

(sorry; couldn't resist..)

Yeah, I know.  It's been a few years, and I'm getting old and a little senile.  I deserved it.

Soooie21

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 20, 2016, 06:12:42 pm

I was at the game also..

DeltaBoy

John McCain and Keith Jackson with the Call.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

snoblind

I was there.  We sat in the stands instead of going out on the field because we were too drunk. 

RAMhawg

Drove up and bought 3 tickets right before game time. Couldn't believe we got them.  Party on Dickson street was definitely one for the ages. People were burning picnic tables in the middle of the road. I think only 2 people were arrested and they happened to be my ride home that night. Not that we would have been able to drive.

RAMhawg

That's 1979 game in LR showed what the fans use to be able to do. Loud and raucous!!  Not any more!

Pathological

I was nine years old and I remember it like it was yesterday.  Greatest game ever.  That team had some amazing talent.

al2305

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 20, 2016, 04:24:34 pm
It was at Fayetteville, you missed it. There was a party across the state that night from what I have heard! I know that LR partied until the wee hours of Sunday morning because I was there, Hog calls from parking lots, vehicles, sidewalks all night long! I was in a hospital room the night of the 94 championship, so don't have any reference, other than I can't imagine there was more celebration then. There is the obvious that was on a Monday night so it probably wasn't near the same.

I watched the game in my mom's hospital room in little rock at baptist in 94 as well.   

LZH

Quote from: al2305 on January 25, 2016, 10:30:07 pm
I watched the game in my mom's hospital room in little rock at baptist in 94 as well.   

Several of us were over at my girlfriends house to watch the game that night. But at halftime, I just had the feeling that I needed to go to my dad's house because I just knew we were going to win, and knew that was a once in a lifetime event. So I watched the second half with him..... and will forever be glad that I did.

hogcard1964

Quote from: LZH on January 20, 2016, 06:14:13 pm
I'll tell you how much of an underdog we were in that game. I went with my mother to visit my grandmother in Pine Bluff that morning, which was an hour away, because I didn't think we had any chance whatsoever of winning. No one did. So, I never even turned the television over to watch the game. I think we were rocking the Lawrence Welk Show lol.

On our way home, we turned on the radio and I heard what the score was. It was still fairly early, maybe the beginning of the second quarter. I was all over my mother asking her to speed up, speed up, speed up.

Great day in Razorback football history.

We're we ranked at the time? 

hogcard1964

Quote from: hog golf on January 21, 2016, 09:08:22 am
another trivia question and answer:

what was Lou Holtz's W-L record at Arkansas after the 42-11 beat-down of the Longhorns in 81?

hint: I gave you the answer

18-10-1

Anyone know why the A -hole turned down a bid to play in the All American Bowl in his final season?

bphi11ips

Quote from: RAMhawg on January 25, 2016, 06:40:02 pm
Drove up and bought 3 tickets right before game time. Couldn't believe we got them.  Party on Dickson street was definitely one for the ages. People were burning picnic tables in the middle of the road. I think only 2 people were arrested and they happened to be my ride home that night. Not that we would have been able to drive.

Did you witness the aftermath?  Stumbled down to Dickson Sunday morning to find two inches of asphalt gone from corner to corner at the intersection of Dickson and Thompson.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hog golf

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 26, 2016, 07:03:41 am
18-10-1

Anyone know why the A -hole turned down a bid to play in the All American Bowl in his final season?
Lou Holtz's won-loss record after the 42-11 beatdown of UT in 1981--- 42-11-1. that is why I asked for won-loss record, sounds better if you ignore the tie game
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

cityhog

I was there. Top row of the east stands. Epic day.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hog golf on January 26, 2016, 09:48:03 am
Lou Holtz's won-loss record after the 42-11 beatdown of UT in 1981--- 42-11-1. that is why I asked for won-loss record, sounds better if you ignore the tie game

Oh, I'm sorry.  I thought you asked what his record was at Arkansas AFTER that game.  My bad.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChicoHog

I was there as it was my Junior year on the Hill.  After the game a bunch of went to Bulls-Eye Pub on Dickson  for partying and I had my current girl with me who I had just begun dating and was trying to get to the "next base".  Anyway we left Bulls-Eye and went back to the apartment that me and another buddy shared at Chateau apartments on Leverett st (I think that was the st name).  My girl and I started going at it on the couch when all of a sudden my roommate's parents come in.  I forgot they were there for the game and were staying at our place that night. That was embarrassing!   And to top it off I missed the bonfire on Dickson because I left there early and I had to take the girl home as she was not too happy that the old folks walked in.  I heard all about it from my friends the next day. 

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 25, 2016, 10:06:54 am
John McCain and Keith Jackson with the Call.

I believe that was ex-ND coach Ara Parshegian along with KJ

Arky

Quote from: hogfan58 on January 20, 2016, 07:44:11 pm
I was a senior in 1981 and I remember hearing stories about "wild Dickson Street" my freshman year. All that year I'd go to Dickson and think...meh.

That night after this game, it was crazy wild. Students carrying the goal posts down the street, Hog calls all night long, by 2am the cops and fire dept were using hoses to try to break up the crowds in the streets, the sidewalks, everyone was drunk off their a**.  THAT was the Dickson Street I had heard about.
I was a freshman that year.......Dickson was nuts.

old hog

A great show on PBS, "22 Straight" airs Sunday morning at 1 AM. Documentary on the  64/65 Hog seasons. Great interviews, film footage and antidotes from that great run. A must see for any and all Razorback fans.