Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nobody's talking about Ty Storey

Started by swinesation, January 16, 2016, 02:15:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

lumphog

BirmingHam

Quote from: lumphog on January 17, 2016, 02:49:17 pm
I don't get it Big Dan

I see you are a fellow man who likes to pontificate....

majp51

Quote from: BirmingHam on January 17, 2016, 02:54:12 pm
I see you are a fellow man who likes to pontificate....

A Man of constant Sorrows?

tahlahog

One thing to think about, apparently Rafe is better as a duel threat quarterback (as I understand it.) For the most part we have to beat Alabama to win the west, Alabama's weakness seems to be duel threat quarterbacks.  This might play into an important part of deciding the starting quarterback. 

My biggest worry is who doesn't stay here.  Town has already transferred so he might feel he needs to stay, start or not.  The other 3 might leave if not the starter.  If I was as good as each believes he is, I wouldn't stay and sit for 2 or more years to get another chance, especially knowing that BB doesn't like to play anyone but the #1 ninety nine percent of the time.

Been watching Hog football since 1963 and I've never seen this much potential talent at the QB position for the Hogs at one time.  If we ever had better, it wasn't obvious.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: 12247 on January 20, 2016, 05:20:32 pm
My biggest worry is who doesn't stay here.  Town has already transferred so he might feel he needs to stay, start or not.  The other 3 might leave if not the starter.  If I was as good as each believes he is, I wouldn't stay and sit for 2 or more years to get another chance, especially knowing that BB doesn't like to play anyone but the #1 ninety nine percent of the time.

Been watching Hog football since 1963 and I've never seen this much potential talent at the QB position for the Hogs at one time.  If we ever had better, it wasn't obvious.

Zac Clark, Gary Breshears, Ryan Sorahan, Jared McBride.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: tahlahog on January 20, 2016, 03:18:47 pm
One thing to think about, apparently Rafe is better as a duel threat quarterback (as I understand it.) For the most part we have to beat Alabama to win the west, Alabama's weakness seems to be duel threat quarterbacks.  This might play into an important part of deciding the starting quarterback.
Is he a "better dual threat QB" or is he just a QB who can run? I don't know the answer except he has had chances to break through and hasn't. I will be happy with whomever is picked, and if it is Rafe then it does add an element of intrigue.

I will freely admit that I am a bit weary of the "we need a dual threat QB to win" crowd, so I may not be seeing the value in Rafe. But time and again the reports coming out of practice is a lack of accuracy and decision making. Neither are things he can't overcome, and hopefully he will. Having said that we need a QB who can make the right throw at the right time. If he can run like a deer all the better. 
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

swineology

My God, we're loaded with 4 and 5 star QB's, Ty may never play a down or he may take over after AA or RT is done.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: swineology on January 20, 2016, 06:07:11 pm
My God, we're loaded with 4 and 5 star QB's, Ty may never play a down or he may take over after AA or RT is done.
No crime in being loaded for sure.  ;D It lets us bring in Cole Kelley and let him develop a bit and grow into something special.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

swineology

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 20, 2016, 06:31:31 pm
No crime in being loaded for sure.  ;D  lets us bring in Cole Kelley and let him develop a bit and grow into something special.

My point exactley

MuskogeeHogFan

Town was cautioned before they accepted his transfer that if he came in and didn't have immediate success (as in being elevated to starter), he would not be given a release. The kid knew how things were laid out before he ever arrived and that he had to earn his way onto the field. He isn't going anywhere, for at least a while.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogz87

Yeah, we have a lot of depth and good potential at QB right now, but it's also the type of situation that lends itself to a transfer.  It could be Town who I'm not sure technically qualifies as a transfer, but he's already changed schools once.  If we do see a transfer, I have a feeling it'll be Storey or Peavey.  I think AA is at least in good position to be the starter next year and he has two years of eligibility remaining.  If he plays well enough next year to maintain his hold on the starting position going into the 2017 season, then I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Storey or Peavey transfer.

BirmingHam

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 20, 2016, 05:40:46 pm

Bwahhahaahahha!!!!!  .....wait, you're not serious?

SamBuckhart

Wishing you good luck, Ty Storey. Looking forward to spring football. Woo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Chuck Boarris

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 20, 2016, 05:40:46 pm

That's a name I haven't seen in a long time. I remember facing him in high school.

ballhogger

Nothing against Ty, because all I have heard of him is that he is a fine young man but I thought his senior year there were two or three better QB's comparable or even better in the state.  His Highlights are impressive but his level of competition was not that great.  I believe someone already made mention of this as well, but he is an athlete that probably does not have as high of a ceiling because of his early maturation.  I don't think he has done anything wrong, and If he winds up being the answer at QB I will gladly admit I am wrong but I think there was a lot of hype and expectations around a young man who did some great things at a level of play that is questionable for a major division 1 University.  I am sure I will get scolded by someone but I am trying to be objective and have a level head about this.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: BirmingHam on January 20, 2016, 10:15:15 pm
Bwahhahaahahha!!!!!  .....wait, you're not serious?

I was really hoping the sarcasm there would be obvious.

On the other hand, I guess it's possible that there was really some serious talent in that group and, regrettably, Hootie was the one in charge...
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PorkRinds

Quote from: swineology on January 20, 2016, 06:07:11 pm

Ty won't take over for Town.  They are at the same point in their careers.  It'll be Ty or Town. 

BirmingHam

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 21, 2016, 10:55:32 am
I was really hoping the sarcasm there would be obvious.

On the other hand, I guess it's possible that there was really some serious talent in that group and, regrettably, Hootie was the one in charge...

I figured you were kidding.  All memories of Sorahan go back to the GA game in Fay, the pick 6 to start the game.  SMH

longpig

We have four QBs currently on the roster, four 4* contenders for the two deep.  LeSU has ten, TEN QBs on their roster and not one of them could make our two deep. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

rwspear

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 17, 2016, 01:57:20 pm
I think Bielema would have tipped his cap and let AA get some minutes if he was pretty sure he was the Hogs' next starter.  Instead he seemed to avoid giving Allen any significant playing time, kept all of the current qbs on the roster and is signing another one soon.  Idk if you carry 5 qbs on scholarship if you know who will start for your team the next two seasons. 

You always carry 5 QBs when your name isn't Houston Nutt. In a perfect world you should never have an underclassmen starting at QB, and 5+ QBs ensures you will have options even with injuries and normal attrition.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 20, 2016, 06:31:31 pm
No crime in being loaded for sure.  ;D It lets us bring in Cole Kelley and let him develop a bit and grow into something special.

I confess I've skimmed some of the comments on this thread but this is the first Cole Kelley mention I've noticed.  I like this youngster and he has the size and physical skills to succeed. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

swinesation

Quote from: ballhogger on January 21, 2016, 10:33:42 am
Nothing against Ty, because all I have heard of him is that he is a fine young man but I thought his senior year there were two or three better QB's comparable or even better in the state.  His Highlights are impressive but his level of competition was not that great.  I believe someone already made mention of this as well, but he is an athlete that probably does not have as high of a ceiling because of his early maturation.  I don't think he has done anything wrong, and If he winds up being the answer at QB I will gladly admit I am wrong but I think there was a lot of hype and expectations around a young man who did some great things at a level of play that is questionable for a major division 1 University.  I am sure I will get scolded by someone but I am trying to be objective and have a level head about this.

Pretty crazy that even Alabama and Auburn got caught up in the hype and offered him a scholarship!  ::)

passinghog

I've heard many on here say AA has a stronger arm than BA, but it definitely hasn't shown up in an actual game.

From all the throws he's made in live game action, his arm has not impressed me at all. It seemed average; hopefully I'm wrong.

If I'm not wrong, hopefully Ty and Ricky push him hard during the spring.

FANONTHEHILL

Hopefully we can add Taylor Powell in the 2017 class and make this conversation even more confusing.  (A great problem to have by the way)
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

What did Bielema say about how things stand right now? Just based on time in the program.

1. Austin Allen
2. Rafe Peavey
3. Ty Storey
4. Ricky Town

This will probably change to some degree as time passes. But this is how it is today. We'll see what the spring brings.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

Oh, look.  Another realist here to save us all from our lofty expectations! Thank god for those willing to offer up such a selfless public service.

Seebs

Nobody is saying anything about any of these guys because they have been kept in a room under the stairs. 

We will know something this spring.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

RME

Hogman2

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on January 16, 2016, 02:42:22 pm
I saw Ty play in the state championship game against Smackover his senior year. He carried that team on his back. I left that game knowing we were in good hands at the qb position. I dont care if its Austin, Rafe, Ricky Town or Ty Storey I just want to win!
Arkansas AAA football versus SEC? No where near the same competition! I hope he does well but how many AAA division QBs start in the SEC?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hogman2 on January 22, 2016, 09:21:01 am
Arkansas AAA football versus SEC? No where near the same competition! I hope he does well but how many AAA division QBs start in the SEC?

It wasn't the SEC but Brad Taylor played his high school ball at Danville HS.  I'd say he did pretty well as a Hog.

RME

You really don't think that physical maturation, intelligence, and overall growth/learning the game can occur from high school to college? You think Storey had offers from Arkansas, Bama, Louisville, and Auburn just for the hell of it, and that those coaches saw nothing in him because he played 3A football?

Should Arkansas stop going after kids from Junction City? Or does this asinine theory only apply to QBs?

Wildhog

Ludicrous argument.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackrabbit Hog

The best high school football player I ever played against came from Carlisle, which was at the time in the smallest classification in the state.  He went on to set the all-time rushing record at UCA (since broken, I'm sure). 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 22, 2016, 09:49:07 am
The best high school football player I ever played against came from Carlisle, which was at the time in the smallest classification in the state.  He went on to set the all-time rushing record at UCA (since broken, I'm sure).

Hey I'm from that area what was his name?

EastexHawg

Quote from: alohawg on January 17, 2016, 12:48:29 am
Has Arkansas ever had this many quality(perceived) qb's competing for the job?

Having the (at the time) all-time passing and total offense leader and All-SWC starter Bill Montgomery, with Joe Ferguson backing him up, made the 1970 list of QBs pretty stout.  I'm not sure how highly recruited the 3rd QB, Walter Nelson, was coming out of high school.

JayBell

In the sense that "nobody's talking about Ty Storey," nobody should be talking about any of the quarterbacks.  We just don't know enough about any of them.

We've seen Austin Allen is very limited action, but even then, it's not like he was running out there with a full playbook.  You can say he's more experienced, but hardly anyone outside of the program has any kind of information to say he's more composed, accurate or anything better than the other three guys.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 22, 2016, 10:49:16 am
Having the (at the time) all-time passing and total offense leader and All-SWC starter Bill Montgomery, with Joe Ferguson backing him up, made the 1970 list of QBs pretty stout.  I'm not sure how highly recruited the 3rd QB, Walter Nelson, was coming out of high school.

Don't forget about John Eichler!  He started and played the whole game against Wichita State the year of their tragic plane crash, which I believe was 1970.

JayBell

Anything right now is pure conjecture.  You can give the edge to Allen because I think Bielema and his staff has shown to give preference to upperclassmen, not always rightfully so.

Right now, all we have are opinions.  My personal opinion is that Peavey will be the odd man out.  He has a great personality, but I think the other three are more well-rounded quarterbacks.

I think it's wide open among the other three and it'll stay interesting after that.  If Allen is the starter, one or both of Storey and Town probably hang around to try to be the starter again in two years.  If Storey or Town is named the starter, then Allen and the other freshman likely transfers out.

It's a real possibility that only one of those four is still on campus in 16 months.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 22, 2016, 11:06:38 am
Don't forget about John Eichler!  He started and played the whole game against Wichita State the year of their tragic plane crash, which I believe was 1970.

Dang, you are right.  Eichler slipped my mind.  I don't know how that happened.  It's only been 45 years.

Not playing in that game may have cost Bill Burnett the all-time NCAA Division 1 record (at the time) for most TDs scored in a career.  IIRC Steve Owens of Oklahoma held the record.  A week or so later Burnett suffered a separated shoulder when he was body slammed by a typical Aggie *^%$#@ named Boice Best (not that I still hold a grudge or anything) during yet another Hog blowout win over the jarheads.

I know Coach Broyles did the right thing by sitting his starters.  I'm just sayin'.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 22, 2016, 12:26:45 pm
Dang, you are right.  Eichler slipped my mind.  I don't know how that happened.  It's only been 45 years.

Not playing in that game may have cost Bill Burnett the all-time NCAA Division 1 record (at the time) for most TDs scored in a career.  IIRC Steve Owens of Oklahoma held the record.  A week or so later Burnett suffered a separated shoulder when he was body slammed by a typical Aggie *^%$#@ named Boice Best (not that I still hold a grudge or anything) during yet another Hog blowout win over the jarheads.

I know Coach Broyles did the right thing by sitting his starters.  I'm just sayin'.

I'll never forget the long standing ovation the Wichita State kids (almost all freshman and sophomores) got when then came onto the field, and then again at the end of the game.  Lots of fans near us had tears in their eyes.  We beat them 63-0 and honestly tried not to do it.  It was a very very sad day but I think everyone in that stadium was proud of Wichita State for the effort in memory of their fallen teammates.

Don't get me started on Aggies I hated back in those days.  Ed Hargett?  Bubba Bean?  Ed Simonini and Garth Ten Napel?  Le-le-le-le-le-lester Hayes?

mitchforheisman

Quote from: Showtimehog on January 21, 2016, 09:23:57 pm
I've heard many on here say AA has a stronger arm than BA, but it definitely hasn't shown up in an actual game.

From all the throws he's made in live game action, his arm has not impressed me at all. It seemed average; hopefully I'm wrong.

If I'm not wrong, hopefully Ty and Ricky push him hard during the spring.

Yeah, the 3 passes, and 16 from last year, are a big enough portion size to make an educated statement. Give me a break.

jabohog

In the 60s I think Gray, Marshall, and Brittenum where all on the team at the same time.

Beleima seems to be like an ole union boss. Senority seems to rate high with him, which there's nothing wrong with that. I just wish he would let second teamers at QB play in blow outs.

The Kig

With all of the "talent" we have at QB waiting in the wings for their shot this Spring, there will be no excuse for anyone showing up unprepared.  Opportunity knocks for all these  seemingly capable guys.  Other than a highly touted Town, they all have the same amount of exposure to Enos philosophy, one year. Only time will tell who steps through the door. 

In my almost 50 years as a Hog fan, I don't ever remember such a perfect storm for a QB battle.  Starting to believe that whoever comes through the fire is gonna be a star.
Poker Porker

Hawgphish

I slaughtered this horse last tuesday, I was thinkin it was about to turn.

Cinco de Hogo

I'm hoping for a capable QB to step forward.  What I'm not expecting is to be awed because so very little about the CBB era has awed me so far.  That's not saying I don't see the possibility of a slow steady and substainable climb.  My hope rest entirely in what wonders CDE can work because the talent is there to work with.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: JayBell on January 22, 2016, 11:08:25 am
Anything right now is pure conjecture.  You can give the edge to Allen because I think Bielema and his staff has shown to give preference to upperclassmen, not always rightfully so.

Right now, all we have are opinions.  My personal opinion is that Peavey will be the odd man out.  He has a great personality, but I think the other three are more well-rounded quarterbacks.

I think it's wide open among the other three and it'll stay interesting after that.  If Allen is the starter, one or both of Storey and Town probably hang around to try to be the starter again in two years.  If Storey or Town is named the starter, then Allen and the other freshman likely transfers out.

It's a real possibility that only one of those four is still on campus in 16 months.

Isn't that all we ever have - is opinions?  8)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

thefisher

Quote from: lumphog on January 17, 2016, 08:44:33 am
DO NOT SEEK THE TREASURE!!!.....These guys over looking AA are in for a HUGE surprise. AA WILL win the spot & DOMINATE!!! It's what he does, it's what he's always done & he ALWAYS outshines big brother....I'm very excited, I can't wait....Shine on you crazy diamond!!!

Isn't that the lyrics to a Pink Floyd song?
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

ballhogger

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 22, 2016, 09:12:12 am

You are correct.  There was plenty of opinion in what I typed.  When I said that I was trying to be objective I really mean it.  The easy thing to do would be to jump on the Bandwagon and say that he is going to save the program because of all of the records and accolades.  There is part of me that wants to do that.  Having seen him throw up close as compared to others I did not see the separation that I thought I would.  I also have a close friend who is on staff at some capacity that said he is not competing like everyone's expectations were for him.  Take it for what it's worth.  If he is good enough to be the starter than I will admit I am wrong and eat my crow.  If he is good enough to be the starter that should mean he is performing at a high level because we have some serious competition at that position right now.