Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With our lack of depth on the OLM and maybe too many

Started by nwahogfan1, January 10, 2016, 01:39:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

DLM.  Does any one see us moving a DLM or two over in the spring?

Who would you guess?  .

razortaz

I really don't think there is that big a problem as far as depth on the OL now they will be young

WaltonCollege

maybe Austin Capps moves to O Line, from what I heard his body style more fits O Line than D Line. Just speculation but other than that we may see a couple switches typical of every off season

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Danimal

tophawg19

no way do you take FROHOLDT  from the defense . it's easier to find good o-linemen , good d-line guys are hard to get
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: razortaz on January 10, 2016, 02:37:39 pm
I really don't think there is that big a problem as far as depth on the OL now they will be young

I believe that we return 11 + 2 committed at this time. 13 is too little. Need to be between 15 as a minimum to 18.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Based on CBB's overarching strategy with the RS and WO programs, those players should not be discounted.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 11, 2016, 06:13:39 am
Based on CBB's overarching strategy with the RS and WO programs, those players should not be discounted.

I think, maybe, that Cordale Boyd may be gone as well. I don't remember for certain but I thought he went through Senior Day this year. Also, Reeve Koehler is leaving as well.
Go Hogs Go!

hamsam

Although he is not getting much press, don't be surprised to see Johnny Gibson get some significant PT. He's come a long way since his days at Dumas high school. He is a freakishly good athlete for his size.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

We get used to the big names and forget who is behind them. Kirkland had an All American (brian Wallace) right behind him. I expect Johnny Gibson and Josh Allen to step up this year as well.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 11, 2016, 06:22:34 am
I think, maybe, that Cordale Boyd may be gone as well. I don't remember for certain but I thought he went through Senior Day this year. Also, Reeve Koehler is leaving as well.
I needed to update that but I could not find the excel file I created and did not feel like typing things in again.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 11, 2016, 06:51:54 am
We get used to the big names and forget who is behind them. Kirkland had an All American (brian Wallace) right behind him. I expect Johnny Gibson and Josh Allen to step up this year as well.

I don't think that there is any doubt that there is talent behind the guys that are leaving, though they have little experience. The thing that I think most are making a point about here is the sheer numbers, or rather, lack thereof that we have on the O-Line. There is just a severe lack of depth.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 11, 2016, 07:02:43 am
I don't think that there is any doubt that there is talent behind the guys that are leaving, though they have little experience. The thing that I think most are making a point about here is the sheer numbers, or rather, lack thereof that we have on the O-Line. There is just a severe lack of depth.
Very true. Let me play devils advocate for a moment.
As long as we have OL committed for the incoming class, should we really be worried about depth? Only 5 guys can play at a time and they don't really rotate out like lets say linebackers, who are also spread thin.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 11, 2016, 07:24:16 am
As long as we have OL committed for the incoming class, should we really be worried about depth? Only 5 guys can play at a time and they don't really rotate out like lets say linebackers, who are also spread thin.

Yes, because it's the off season practices and learning through competing with the better players that makes them capable of stepping in when it's their time.  When you get thin, you're setting yourself up for a drop off not only when a few players go down with injuries, but you're also staring at as much as a year or two where you don't have experienced players, because you're having to rely on incoming underclassmen. 

O-lines are at their best when they've played together for awhile and are cohesive, so ideally...you have an O-line that is full of Sr.'s and Jr'.s at all time.  That's a lot of changeover, and if you don't have depth...the guys stepping in aren't Jr.'s and Sr.'s.  That's somewhat idealistic, but it's that you have to strive for, and right now, we don't have that depth. 

It's odd, because that's really the position that CBB has emphasized, and he's tried hard to highlight them up to and including the front page of the player guide.  Having kids go to the NFL and succeed will help, and that's just starting to happen.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 11, 2016, 07:24:16 am

You keep 15-18 on the O-Line for a few reasons to include having a solid two deep that can rotate (and we didn't do much of that last year), sufficient numbers to afford development and a good R/S program, being able to survive potential injuries and of course, there is always the possibility of attrition through players leaving early for a variety of reasons.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

I see us being young but if we jell fast they should be another solid unit.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 11, 2016, 05:47:41 am
I believe that we return 11 + 2 committed at this time. 13 is too little. Need to be between 15 as a minimum to 18.
seems so crazy to me to have so many when only 7 or so actually play.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

nwahogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 11, 2016, 07:55:34 am
You keep 15-18 on the O-Line for a few reasons to include having a solid two deep that can rotate (and we didn't do much of that last year), sufficient numbers to afford development and a good R/S program, being able to survive potential injuries and of course, there is always the possibility of attrition through players leaving early for a variety of reasons.

I agree we did not sub in OLM and I have always wondered if our Big OLM got tired in those HOT Sept games and that was part of the reason why we did not move the ball very well in some of those games? 

Biggus Piggus

January 11, 2016, 08:49:26 am #19 Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:07:43 am by Biggus Piggus
Offensive guards (with 2016 class):

Freshmen - Jake Heinrich
Redshirt freshmen - Klint Harvey (walk-on), Jalen Merrick
Sophomores - Josh Allen, Jackson Hannah (walk-on)
Juniors - Frank Ragnow, Terrance Malone
Seniors - none

Offensive tackles:

Freshmen - none
Redshirt freshmen - Colton Jackson
Sophomores - Johnny Gibson (walk-on), Brian Wallace
Juniors - none
Seniors - Dan Skipper

Centers:

Freshmen - none
Redshirt freshmen - none
Sophomores - Zach Rogers
Juniors - Frank Ragnow (if not at guard)
Seniors - none

Maybe this way it's easier to understand the desperate depth situation on the Oline. Arkansas has adequate numbers at guard. Not tackles. Not even close.

[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 11, 2016, 08:29:17 am

First, you have to look at it by position. Second, Olinemen often take several years to develop.
[CENSORED]!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 11, 2016, 08:49:26 am
Offensive tackles:

Freshmen - none
Redshirt freshmen - none
Juniors - none
Seniors - Dan Skipper

OUCH

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 11, 2016, 08:49:26 am
Offensive guards (with 2016 class):

Freshmen - Jake Heinrich
Redshirt freshmen - Klint Harvey (walk-on), Jalen Merrick
Sophomores - Josh Allen, Jackson Hannah (walk-on)
Juniors - Frank Ragnow, Terrance Malone
Seniors - none

Offensive tackles:

Freshmen - none
Redshirt freshmen - none
Juniors - none
Seniors - Dan Skipper

Centers:

Freshmen - none
Redshirt freshmen - none
Sophomores - Zach Rogers
Juniors - Frank Ragnow (if not at guard)
Seniors - none

Maybe this way it's easier to understand the desperate depth situation on the Oline. Arkansas has adequate numbers at guard. Not tackles. Not even close.

We need a JUCO tackle and a HS Tackle.

I think you forgot Colton Jackson at Tackle tho.
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/colton-jackson/

Grizzlyfan

If you believe you've recruited SEC quality D lineman I don't see moving them to another position.

Biggus Piggus

Defensive tackles and noseguards:

Freshmen - Austin Capps, Briston Guidry
Redshirt freshmen - T.J. Smith
Sophomores - Hjalte Froholdt, Armon Watts
Juniors - Bijhon Jackson, Ke'Tyrus Marks
Seniors - Taiwan Johnson

Big defensive ends:

Freshmen - McTelvin Agim
Redshirt freshmen - none
Sophomores - Jake Hall
Juniors - Tevin Beanum
Seniors - JaMichael Winston, Deatrich Wise

Tight ends:

Freshmen - Grayson Gunter
Redshirt freshmen - Austin Cantrell, Will Gragg, C.J. O'Grady, Howie Stettmeier (walk-on)
Sophomores - Jack Kraus
Juniors - Anthony Antwine (walk-on)
Seniors - Jeremy Sprinkle
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2016, 09:03:52 am
We need a JUCO tackle and a HS Tackle.

I think you forgot Colton Jackson at Tackle tho.
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/colton-jackson/

Thanks - hard to transpose this stuff.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 11, 2016, 09:08:07 am
Thanks - hard to transpose this stuff.

No problem. Something else to consider is Jalen Merrick taking a Denver Kirkland route to tackle. Bielema seems to like experience at Tackle while letting younger guys start on the inside.

NLRHog92

Don't agree with trying to move someone over, especially someone like Froholdt. You rotate more frequently on DL than OL. We hardly did so at all last year, which is why depth doesn't seem as big of an issue if you have consistent starting 5 on OL. Hopefully some guys can step up and take over, losing DK hurts. Bottomline, Pittman didn't do crap recruiting wise this year and we need a legit OT to finish off this class. DL is looking pretty good.

Biggus Piggus

FYI - Alabama has 15 offensive linemen on scholarship, plus four walk-ons.
[CENSORED]!

FANONTHEHILL

Freshman this year that worked at tackle are Johnny Gibson, Colton Jackson and Klint Harvey.
Josh Allen, Jalen Merrick and Cooper Sone worked at guard.  Rogers at center. Also, these heights and weights will be updated this spring, they're not even close after one fall with the development squad. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

regi

We only have 8 Scholarship lineman right now, 9 if Gibson was awarded one (not sure he has been yet). We have 2 commits, 1 is a true freshman. We return 14 DL with 3 commits already. Watts may be a guy who gets a look at OL, but I am not a coach, so who knows.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 11, 2016, 01:51:40 pm
FYI - Alabama has 15 offensive linemen on scholarship, plus four walk-ons.
FYI - We are never going to be Alabama

OLPHog

January 12, 2016, 01:06:52 pm #32 Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:16:56 pm by OLPHog
Jackson Hannah spent the Spring/Summer  and first part of fall rehabbing a patellar injury.  He's now fully recovered and split time at center during the bowl developmental practices. He is similar build to Rogers and they are both excellent students; something you want in your center.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

January 12, 2016, 01:11:34 pm #33 Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:17:17 am by SooiecidetillNuttgone
Quote from: OLPHog on January 12, 2016, 01:06:52 pm
Jackson Hannah spent the Spring/Summer  and first part of fall rehabbing a patellar injury.  He's now fully recovered and split time at center during the bowel developmental practices. He is similar build to Rogers and they are both excellent students; something you want in your center.

Did he have irritable bowel syndrome?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 11, 2016, 07:37:22 pm
FYI - We are never going to be Alabama

FYI - Your point is irrelevant. Fifteen scholarship Olinemen is optimal.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BigE_23

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 10, 2016, 01:39:50 pm
DLM.  Does any one see us moving a DLM or two over in the spring?

Who would you guess?  .
I think we're recruiting just fine on both sides of the LOS - this is a crazy assertion to me. We have more that enough quality depth. With our RS program and weight/conditioning staff...I'm not in the least bit concerned with player development along the LOS.

dirtdobber

Would Froholdt be better as an offensive lineman? Also, what about Capps as an o-lineman?

RebelW

I'm not real sure about Froholdt. I like his size and he's mobile.. I KNOW Capps is a stud. I watched him play since he started playing. You don't get 123 pancake blocks and be mediocre

dirtdobber

I just think that as a DT, Froholdt 's athleticism is just average.  However, as an OL, he has a chance to be elite.  It's the best chance for him to play for a long time at the next level.  I've heard that Capps could be special as an interior O-lineman.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 11, 2016, 08:29:17 am

Well thanks for sharing your offensive line knowledge of football.  We need double that for building, teaching, and developing a truly good o line. We won't be blessed all the time with a skipper and Kirkland coming in a freshman and starting almost every game their career since walking on campus and be sec talent from that day.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: dirtdobber on January 12, 2016, 10:05:53 pm
I just think that as a DT, Froholdt 's athleticism is just average.  However, as an OL, he has a chance to be elite.  It's the best chance for him to play for a long time at the next level.  I've heard that Capps could be special as an interior O-lineman.

Froholdt is going to grow into a very good D-Lineman and let's remember that the more talent that you put on that D-Line enables all of them to perform better. When you have a D-line full of really good guys it creates all kinds of match-up problems for opposing O-Lines and OC's. I don't think you are going to see Froholdt moving.

I too noticed the quoted pancakes of Capps and I think someone compared that to that of incoming freshmen Heinrich. My only question is, against what size and level of talent did this occur? Not taking anything away from Capps at all, but it is a legit question and I really don't have the answer.

I think that with our current O-Line that is returning plus commits, we are sitting at 13 and that is 2 short of the minimum that you should have on hand for depth, R/S, etc. The only way they move someone from the D-Line ranks is if they feel that long term, they will have the ability to make a greater contribution on the O-Line than on the D-Line. It won't be a temporary move to shore up depth if they do move someone over.
Go Hogs Go!

secneahog

Quote from: WaltonCollege on January 10, 2016, 03:16:38 pm
maybe Austin Capps moves to O Line, from what I heard his body style more fits O Line than D Line. Just speculation but other than that we may see a couple switches typical of every off season

Just stop..........
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Quote from: regi on January 11, 2016, 04:48:40 pm
We only have 8 Scholarship lineman right now, 9 if Gibson was awarded one (not sure he has been yet). We have 2 commits, 1 is a true freshman. We return 14 DL with 3 commits already. Watts may be a guy who gets a look at OL, but I am not a coach, so who knows.

Watts is a DT...smh....
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Quote from: dirtdobber on January 12, 2016, 08:34:26 pm
Would Froholdt be better as an offensive lineman? Also, what about Capps as an o-lineman?

No....froholdt is a DT....you guys are comical. 

Wildhog

Quote from: secneahog on January 13, 2016, 08:32:17 am
Watts is a DT...smh....

You don't have to react that way every time someone mentions a position change.  It's not a slight against anyone.  We discuss this every off-season, because it's the freaking off-season.

And Austin Capps is a STUD OL, too.  That said, I don't think anyone moves, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

secneahog

Quote from: dirtdobber on January 12, 2016, 10:05:53 pm

Just stop.......That's not gonna happen.

Besides when BB got here, and moved cordale boyd to DT...

Who has a recruited at DT  and moved them to oline? 

secneahog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 13, 2016, 08:32:59 am
You don't have to react that way every time someone mentions a position change.  It's not a slight against anyone.  We discuss this every off-season, because it's the freaking off-season.

And Austin Capps is a STUD OL, too.  That said, I don't think anyone moves, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Actually I can react any way I want to.

Why can't I say that's ridiculous, when someone posts something dumb..

Moving capps, froholdt and watts to oline is DUMB.

Please tell me a few names, that bb has recruited at dt and moved to oline?

Since you said YOU discuss this every year, then there has to been some kind of answer to my question.

Wildhog

Quote from: secneahog on January 13, 2016, 08:38:11 am
Actually I can react any way I want to.

Why can't I say that's ridiculous, when someone posts something dumb..

Moving capps, froholdt and watts to oline is DUMB.

Please tell me a few names, that bb has recruited at dt and moved to oline?

Since you said YOU discuss this every year, then there has to been some kind of answer to my question.

Everyone knows what positions they're being recruited at.  You aren't any more informed than anyone in this thread.  Some people, however, can have a fun off-season discussion without getting their granny panties in a wad.

If you don't like the thread, don't participate in the thread.  You're just making yourself look like a knob.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

secneahog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 13, 2016, 08:38:04 am
Everyone knows what positions they're being recruited at.  You aren't any more informed than anyone in this thread.  Some people, however, can have a fun off-season discussion without getting their granny panties in a wad.

If you don't like the thread, don't participate in the thread.

Why don't you answer my question?