Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lady'Backs changes . . .

Started by TorsinAHog, March 02, 2006, 06:09:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TorsinAHog

Since football is in the off season and men's basketball has played their way into the NCAAT.  I had to search long and hard for something to bit#h about.  So what about Susie?  What she and Bev Lewis have done to the women's BBALL proram is absolutely unacceptable. :puke:
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

jap66

Quote from: aldiamond on March 02, 2006, 06:09:28 am
Since football is in the off season and men's basketball has played their way into the NCAAT.  I had to search long and hard for something to bit#h about.  So what about Susie?  What she and Bev Lewis have done to the women's BBALL proram is absolutely unacceptable. :puke:

Some may call it an excuse. Others may say she does have some reasons for a poor season.

1. 3 year starter who previously has had surgery on both shoulders went down in preseason with an ACL. She missed the entire season.
2. Starter from last year returned from child birth after the Christmas holidays. She played sparingly before going down with a season ending ALC injury a couple of weeks ago.
3. Starting point guard had played sparingly for a short time after Christmas due to a back injury. Don't believe she has even dressed out during the month of Feb.
4. A freshman who showed promise and started a few early games has played little since the first of the year because of a stress fracture.
5. One player missed games on two separate occasions because of personal family problems. She returned home for both emergencies.
6. Forward who was  pretty much a starter early last season missed the latter part of last season because of an ACL injury. She would have been a big help this year but she never regained the speed or stamina needed to contribute much.
7. The LadyBacks will likely submit a longer list of missed games to the NCAA than any other school this year. Missed games is something that is submitted to the NCAA and the end of the season and can be used as a factor in tournament seeding.
Missed games is the total number of games every team member missed because of injury or whatever reason.

Reasons like this makes it difficult for any "fire the coach" project to gain legs.

FLKeysGuy

All you need to do to have a coach fired is to invite them to a fraternity/sorority kegger and take pictures!  8)

LA HAWG

Quote from: jap66 on March 02, 2006, 07:15:10 am

2. Starter from last year returned from child birth after the Christmas holidays. She played sparingly before going down with a season ending ALC injury a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe its just me, but if you participate in college athletics shouldn't you avoid getting pregnant?

hogman64

Some may call it an excuse. Others may say she does have some reasons for a poor season.

1. 3 year starter who previously has had surgery on both shoulders went down in preseason with an ACL. She missed the entire season.
3. Starting point guard had played sparingly for a short time after Christmas due to a back injury. Don't believe she has even dressed out during the month of Feb.
4. A freshman who showed promise and started a few early games has played little since the first of the year because of a stress fracture.
5. One player missed games on two separate occasions because of personal family problems. She returned home for both emergencies.
6. Forward who was  pretty much a starter early last season missed the latter part of last season because of an ACL injury. She would have been a big help this year but she never regained the speed or stamina needed to contribute much.
7. The LadyBacks will likely submit a longer list of missed games to the NCAA than any other school this year. Missed games is something that is submitted to the NCAA and the end of the season and can be used as a factor in tournament seeding.
Missed games is the total number of games every team member missed because of injury or whatever reason.

Reasons like this makes it difficult for any "fire the coach" project to gain legs.

8.    The coach has no personality

9.    The coach's coaching abilities are not SEC caliber

10.   There isnt a player on her team recruited by her that is SEC material.

HairyHog

Honestly, who watches womens basketball?  If it weren't for Title 9 it wouldn't be discussed.

hogman64

Quote from: HairyHog on March 02, 2006, 07:35:52 am
Honestly, who watches womens basketball?  If it weren't for Title 9 it wouldn't be discussed.

It is never going to be as popular at the u of a as  fball and mens bball , but actually fans at schools with winning traditions get alot of excitement and enjoyment out of womens basketball, good teams that play with alot of heart are fun to watch, I did enjoy u of a womens basketball before Susie Gardner was hired.........

Swino

Seems like she is fitting in just fine with the 2 major programs. 

The University of Arkansas, where winning isn't an option.

or

The University of Arkansas, win or lose, its your job for life.

Hawgzilla

Hell Susie can go to Bev's office and since she has had such a bad year and alot of injuries,she will ask for a 2 year break like our boy HDN,and it will be granted.......... ::)

TorsinAHog

This thread was mainly started in jest/bordem since I dont really follow women BBALL but I am more educated after your thoughtful post. 
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

hoggystyle78

Coaches don't get fired at the U of A anymore. I can't believe other coaches aren't beating down our door to coach for us, I mean think about it, you can make 1.5 million dollars a year and you don't even have to win!, truly a dream job in this day and age when other schools actually expect and demand performance out of their coaches.

FtheDarksiders

March 02, 2006, 09:22:38 am #11 Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 09:30:42 am by FtheDarksiders
Quote from: LA HAWG on March 02, 2006, 07:25:54 am

Maybe its just me, but if you participate in college athletics shouldn't you avoid getting pregnant?

What if you play linebacker for the Bengals, should you avoid getting that girl who plays college athletics pregnant?

jwaldhog

Susie is there mainly because of John White, not so much Bev.  Susie does need to go.  Everyone is on the "let's fire someone" bandwagon this year.  Of everyone she deserves it the most!

HogFather

Nothing, just keep doing what she is doing.

cmevere1027

i dont see how she will still have her job after todays game, i mean they were hosting the sec tournament and playing the 8 seed and get beat by 30, on top of that theve lost 9 straight sec games  WOW!

psycHOGlogist

after being down by 1 at halftime.

Does it need to be said?

ttabler

Other than Good God what happened? I wonder if Gary Blair is being missed now?

psycHOGlogist

Insert excuse here: _________

a) injuries depleted the team
b) it's all Gary Blair's fault
c) but we started the SEC 5-1 so we're really awesome
d) today's loss was a moral victory
e) if only the game had lasted another 3 minutes, our comeback would have been complete.

Sonofahog

Hey this is fun.  FIRE SUSIE GARDNER!!!
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

ttabler

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 02, 2006, 02:15:30 pm
Insert excuse here: ________D_

a) injuries depleted the team
b) it's all Gary Blair's fault
c) but we started the SEC 5-1 so we're really awesome
d) today's loss was a moral victory
e) if only the game had lasted another 3 minutes, our comeback would have been complete.
But they played with a lot of heart and fire and I just love the helmet so much woops wait wrong sport. Fire her and be done with it.

jwaldhog

Fire SG... 

I want A coach to get fired

Jerry Swinefeld

LA HAWG

Quote from: Jerry Swinefeld on March 02, 2006, 02:27:06 pm
Why would she NOT get fired?

Because nobody at U of A gets fired for poor performance.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Jerry Swinefeld on March 02, 2006, 02:27:06 pm
Why would she NOT get fired?

Now that she finally has one really good recruit signed, there would be concern that the recruit would ask for a release.

She's a failure due in large part to an abyssmal failure to recruit, and then it may just be that her first decent recruit saves her butt.

Ironic, no?

Hogeye_Pierce

Just speculation here, but do you think the girls on the team actually kinda LAID DOWN today because THEY are tired of he and want her fired too? Just curious.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

psycHOGlogist

i doubt it. the game was close at half. i think the team has actually tried very hard and given a great effort this year. they just don't have the talent and/or size to compete in the SEC.

King-Tusk

How many seasons has Gardner had here?
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

Sonofahog

Did Susie's family come over here on that boat??   Can we "pay her the money and take the job".  This is one case where a little "Nolan-itus" would come in handy.  Fire her please.

HogISH™

keep susie, she did a wounderful job in the second half of the game today... was she trying to keep her timeouts' till next year?

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

codeHog

please get rid of her. What a shame on the UofA sports, she is

Jim Harris

she needs to. but maybe she can plead the case that Stan Heath got four years. Of course, Gardner was left with something when she arrives.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Cheapseats

all coaches at the University of Arkansas have guarnteed lifetime tenure. 

psycHOGlogist

if she tries that line, drakehog, i hope it gets pointed out that stan's teams got BETTER each year (even if only marginally), as opposed to worse.

hogfan13

NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- The Mississippi Rebels put together a game Thursday their coach had been waiting for, just in time for the Southeastern Conference tournament.

hoggystyle78

Nah, she'll get a "two year pass", just like all of our coaches do. I wonder how big her raise will be?

pseudorabies

please don't copy and paste articles.  Just copy and paste the link after a sentence or two of the article. 

Thanks

psycHOGlogist

but this was her third season, hoggystyle.

HolcombeHog

I would not lose any sleep if she got fired.  She is the one coach on campus that I don't like.

rightrev82

Fire her and hire Joe Foley like they should of done last time.

Foley won national championships at Tech and has made the UALR women resectable.
Patience of 3 year old child > Patience of Razorback Fans

HolcombeHog

Its sad.  I said after we won 5 SEC games that we wouldn't win another game this season.  I guess I was right.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: rightrev82 on March 02, 2006, 03:45:27 pm

Foley won national championships at Tech and has made the UALR women resectable.

He has one BIG drawback, though (to Bev Lewis anyway)
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

MCPeePants

Wow, that's impressive. This Suzy Gardner lady must be one heck of a rising star in the coaching world.

Maybe now the LadyBacks can go play Arkansas State in the NIT again and Arkansas State can act like it's the biggest thing in the history of sports again and make another video.

Actually, I have no idea if the Ladybacks (or ASU) even qualify for the WNIT this year since I don't give two sh!ts about women's basketball, but it still kinda sucks to see them act as hosts for this tournament and then promptly go get blown out in such a foul manner in the very first game.

Brutalis

What the hell happend to Blair again?

At least we were competitive with him as coach.
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn

Eric Sullivan

Quote from: rightrev82 on March 02, 2006, 03:45:27 pm

Right Rev..

Great point.. I was playing at ATU when Foley was there.. The guy is unbelievable.. Besides his 2 NAIA National Titles, his winning percentage was 900 !!!!!!!!!! The guy can FLAT OUT COACH.. His system is nothing fancey, just pressure man to man defense and he runs motion offense 99% of the time and it works..

ESully

Sonofahog

Foley is a great coach.  He would be a great hire WHEN Susie gets fired.   We will never have a ladys program like Tennessee so going after a "big name" is the wrong thing to do.  The Ladybacks need someone that can coach.

rightrev82

Foley also got Tech to the finals of the NCAA division II tournament as well.

Esully, when did you play at Tech?
Patience of 3 year old child > Patience of Razorback Fans

fineswine

If most were honest, very few people care how the Ladybacks do.  If anyone really cared, there would be more than 2,000 people at the games (and this is when they were good).  I hate to sound like a male chauvinist, but it's the truth.

tophawg19

there are many on here and growing everyday .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hog_from_Tulsa

We've got a women's BB team.....I thought they were intermural.....

***SARCASM***
"We can't get no reform when we're the incumbent" - Pappy O'Daniel

Jim Harris

Quote from: stillahog on March 02, 2006, 04:30:24 pm
Foley is a great coach.  He would be a great hire WHEN Susie gets fired.   We will never have a ladys program like Tennessee so going after a "big name" is the wrong thing to do.  The Ladybacks need someone that can coach.

How many really big name coaches are there in womens' college basketball? Three? Summitt, Geno and ????. What is the name of the Duke coach? I follow basketball more than the average person, but I can't remember her name. I remember the fired Fresno babe better than the Duke coach.
I don't think anybody is going to even try and say, unlike in men's ball, hire a big-name women's coach.
How about just hiring Kim Mulkey-Robertson. Besides winning the national championship at Baylor, no less, she has relatives in Arkansas and is from our region, understands recruiting in the region, came with a great coaching pedigree, and then proved it last year. Can we pay a little more than Baylor? Probably not.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson