Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Open letter to Jimmy Dykes

Started by Biggus Piggus, December 18, 2008, 10:28:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Dear Jimmy Dykes,

You are not coaching the Razorbacks.  Eddie Sutton is not coaching the Razorbacks.  None of the Suttons is coaching the Razorbacks.  None of the Suttons will ever again coach the Razorbacks.  All of your pregame preparation may consist of writing down lists of weaknesses in particular players' past performances, but that doesn't mean you have to spend the entire game reading your lists and ignoring what's going on in the game.

The Razorbacks whom you don't coach just played a basketball game that was significantly better than any they had played this season, and you made it sound as though they were grossly underperforming.  Something screwy there.  Are you compiling audition tapes for another gig?  Good F'in luck.  You'll do better in a job where you can be more objective.

Something has gone wrong with your objectivity in calling Razorback games.  Subjectivity isn't necessarily a good thing, when you end up sounding stupid.

Regards,

Biggus F. Piggus, CFA
[CENSORED]!

linze82

i think jimmy does a good job. i always thought he was ob jective. maybe i wasn't paying attention
smite me bishes

Jeffcphog

I like Jimmy, but I have noticed even last year he sounds to much like an ESPN analyst when working Hog games.  Last night he was bemoaning that the Hogs had to do a better job at the free throw line while they were almost perfect during last nights game.  Also, the Hogs should be ranked at least Number 10, because according to Jimmy they just beat the best coached team in basketball.  It got tiring last night.

PigSnort

What's up with this?  I was at the game and thus didn't hear Dykes.

BTW, Dykes already has a great gig:  ESPN analyst.

Conway Cool Daddy

I didn't think Dykes was all that bad.

Would you rather have Slick Rick?

I did agree totally with one thing Dykes did mention.
Arkansas fans will not accept a team that doesn't play hard and give it their all on the court.

We are still recovering as a fan base from 4 years of Heath Ball.

The_Iceman

I am just amazed at how some fans on here just can't ever be happy. If they were married to Jessica Simpson, they'd be mad they weren't married to Jessica Alba. Jimmy Dykes does a great job doing what he does. we are lucky to have an ambassador like him from our state working for ESPN.

the complaining about Jimmy makes me sick to even be a member of this board. and i won't sit back and let it go unchecked.

bellavistamike

I just checked and the Hogs are shooting 66 percent from the free throw line. Maybe there is indeed a need to do better. I think even Wayne could hit two fo three with a bit of practice...

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/pdf5/359435.pdf?ATCLID=187315&SPSID=30750&SPID=2421&DB_OEM_ID=6100

The Marmot

Quote from: bellavistamike on December 18, 2008, 10:49:40 am
I just checked and the Hogs are shooting 66 percent from the free throw line. Maybe there is indeed a need to do better. I think even Wayne could hit two fo three with a bit of practice...

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/pdf5/359435.pdf?ATCLID=187315&SPSID=30750&SPID=2421&DB_OEM_ID=6100

They started off terrible, but have improved alot in the last few games.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

opineonswine

I think Jimmy has to avoid the accusation of being biased toward Arkansas and so he may go overboard to be "fair".

Jimmy Dkyes is THE best analyst in college basketball.  He is a professional like none other.  And he KNOWS basketball more than many coaches.  I'm proud of him.

sooie dog

Open letter to Biggus

Stick to statistics

ps
everyone has an [CENSORED] but some smell worse than others!

ua_hogs

really ???  Dykes is better than anyone else available

jschulte

I thought both of them did a fine job.  They are sooo much better than our radio crew.

Hawgrox

Quote from: opineonswine on December 18, 2008, 10:54:03 am
I think Jimmy has to avoid the accusation of being biased toward Arkansas and so he may go overboard to be "fair".

DING DING DING DING!!!!

Dave...tell 'em what he's won!!!!

I was thinking this same thing last night. He is probably overly-conscience about being bias toward the Hogs so he sways a little too far to the other side. He made a couple of comments about Fortson during the game that was out of left field. He criticized one of his (Fortson's) shots that WENT IN!!! He said something along the lines of "He shouldn't do that...he got away with one that time."

I think Jimmy is better in games not involving the Hogs.

jmalott86

phadedhawg

Jimmy didn't do anything wrong during the broadcast...

He is one of the best people to call our games. 

HawgAdvocate

He annoyed me last night. He normally doesn't, but last night he rambled on for to long, far to many times.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgWild

I was OK with Dykes on air commentary. I did think that  Scott Inman could have done a better job keeping up with whom actually was committing the fouls and some of the other statistical stuff. I noticed several wrong calls by him throughout the game.

As for rambling, don't interview Jeff Long while the game's in progress.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

batesvillepharmer

Sure as hell better than blake eddins or rick shaeffer imho

jst01

Jimmy and Scott were really good. I like listening to Dyke's comments whether they are subjective or objective. He would stand up and call the Hogs if the broadcast producer would let him!! 

Did you hear him talking about his daughter being so excited to wear the cheerleader uniform??  Dykes is a true Hog fan.

I think California has turned Biggus into a chronic hater.

Table Rocker

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hawgrox on December 18, 2008, 11:26:36 am
DING DING DING DING!!!!

I was thinking this same thing last night. He is probably overly-conscience about being bias toward the Hogs so he sways a little too far to the other side. He made a couple of comments about Fortson during the game that was out of left field. He criticized one of his (Fortson's) shots that WENT IN!!! He said something along the lines of "He shouldn't do that...he got away with one that time."

EXACTLY.  Just a little feedback here.  Jimmy is a pro, but he has been sounding funky on Arkansas games.  He did a great job on Arkansas games over the past few years, when they really deserved the critique.  Maybe last night was hangover from NC Central, which was an offensive performance.  Jimmy did nothing that compared with that abortion.
[CENSORED]!

GBoling5000

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 18, 2008, 10:47:51 am
I am just amazed at how some fans on here just can't ever be happy. If they were married to Jessica Simpson, they'd be mad they weren't married to Jessica Alba. Jimmy Dykes does a great job doing what he does. we are lucky to have an ambassador like him from our state working for ESPN.

I'm not married to Jessica Simpson, but I'm still mad that I'm not married to Jessica Alba.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jst01 on December 18, 2008, 12:22:51 pm
Jimmy and Scott were really good. I like listening to Dyke's comments whether they are subjective or objective. He would stand up and call the Hogs if the broadcast producer would let him!! 

Did you hear him talking about his daughter being so excited to wear the cheerleader uniform??  Dykes is a true Hog fan.

I think California has turned Biggus into a chronic hater.

Come on, guys, I normally am Jimmy's biggest fan, but the past coupla Arkansas games I've seen him call, he seemed to have the same perspective he did when the team was loaded with juniors and seniors who were all going different directions.  Go ahead and ride the team that is well into blowing its chance to be something.  With rookies sometimes you have to sit back and laugh, let them be freshmen, and assume they are being coached through this.
[CENSORED]!

Kevin

well he did two games the night before and was in studio on monday, maybe he just didn't have time to prepare like normal.

i think by talking about austin peay coach, he was trying to praise arkansas.  regular fans probably look at the score and wonder why it was so close.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TRUHOG718

December 18, 2008, 01:56:57 pm #25 Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:58:47 pm by TRUHOG718
Quote from: Hawgrox on December 18, 2008, 11:26:36 am
DING DING DING DING!!!!

He did. That was a terrible shot Fortson over penetrated got stuck behind the backboard and threw it up toward the basket. dykes he was hating extra on us last night but I like him though.  Ive seen much worse.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

SwinerBock

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 18, 2008, 10:47:51 am

the complaining about Jimmy makes me sick to even be a member of this board. and i won't sit back and let it go unchecked.
I'd be quite happy being married to Jessica Simpson.

Ok, maybe not MARRIED to Jessica Simpson, but I think you get the gist.

netteltonhog

I would rather listen to Jimmy than Dick Vitale and his man crush on Duke and UNC.

eathill5

Quote from: Jeffcphog on December 18, 2008, 10:38:42 am
I like Jimmy, but I have noticed even last year he sounds to much like an ESPN analyst when working Hog games.  Last night he was bemoaning that the Hogs had to do a better job at the free throw line while they were almost perfect during last nights game.  Also, the Hogs should be ranked at least Number 10, because according to Jimmy they just beat the best coached team in basketball.  It got tiring last night.

I assume you understand he is an ESPN analyst
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

phadedhawg

Quote from: netteltonhog on December 18, 2008, 02:07:51 pm
I would rather listen to Jimmy than Dick Vitale and his man crush on Duke and UNC.

Srsly!!!

I loathe listening to Dick Vitale......

He is the worst announcer in sports...

jst01

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 18, 2008, 01:38:23 pm
With rookies sometimes you have to sit back and laugh, let them be freshmen, and assume they are being coached through this.

I can definitely agree with that. I still enjoy all the input you give on the board Biggus, it is good stuff 90% of the time.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Jeffcphog on December 18, 2008, 10:38:42 am

you're exactly right there. I thought it was hilarious that he talked about Welsh only being a 57 percent foul shooter and this and that and how they had to shoot free throws better and right in front of him, Welsh had already hit 6 in a row and would hit another before missing, and Britt was also knocking them down.

He sort of takes the anti-Rick Schaeffer approach to analysis. For Rick last night (though I didn't listen), I'm sure he was going crazy with superlatives. For Dykes, the glass is half empty. Everything must be improved.

Hell, he does the game and talks about recent turnovers, but it was Inman who had to tell him how many turnovers they had last game, 26. JDykes was settling for 20 before Inman corrected him.

Still, JDykes is better than anyone else they put on there as color man on RSP (formerly ARSN).
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Swine & Cheese Club

Yeah, I say we request Billy Packer or Rollie Massimino for our future games!  I did get tired of hearing how well coached and how disciplined AP was with a veteran squad, and blah blah blah.

Note:  I know Packer is CBS but you get the idea.

JDykes is the best we could hope for considering how bias most ESPN analyst are toward Arkansas.

MaconBacon

I like JD a lot, but I picked up on how critical he was of our players as well. Someone needs to remind him where he came from...and he can leave his ESPIN format outside the doors of Bud Walton.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

hogtheball

I think he does a great job for the most part.  Seems like he has some of the same critiques of the team as many of those on the board who are critiquing him...
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

devildog

I thought his wife was hot. 8)

But seriously, JD and Inman were a good team - national caliber talent broadcasting a local airing (and yes I'm including Scott in that assessment).

opineonswine

I watched some of Tenn v. Marquette the night before.  Jimmy was on the telecast.  He critiques.  He was critical of Tennessee's failure to penetrate, etc.  It's the way he attacks his job.

Hog Pharm

I don't know what you heard, but I thought he was being objective.  There are plenty of areas we need to improve in and he pointed them out.  He also beamed about Rotnei and said Fortson is an excellent freshman point guard.

TheArkansasTraveller

Quote from: linze82 on December 18, 2008, 10:30:29 am
i think jimmy does a good job. i always thought he was ob jective. maybe i wasn't paying attention

He does some people just like to bitch. 

TheArkansasTraveller

Jimmy Dkyes is THE best analyst in college basketball.  He is a professional like none other.  And he KNOWS basketball more than many coaches.  I'm proud of him.

Ditto.  Thank you!

sadhogfan

Couldn't have said it better myself.

razorgary

Great job Jimmy! Seems like someone can always find something to complain about on Hogville.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 18, 2008, 10:28:11 am
Dear Jimmy Dykes,

You are not coaching the Razorbacks.  Eddie Sutton is not coaching the Razorbacks.  None of the Suttons is coaching the Razorbacks.  None of the Suttons will ever again coach the Razorbacks.  All of your pregame preparation may consist of writing down lists of weaknesses in particular players' past performances, but that doesn't mean you have to spend the entire game reading your lists and ignoring what's going on in the game.

The Razorbacks whom you don't coach just played a basketball game that was significantly better than any they had played this season, and you made it sound as though they were grossly underperforming.  Something screwy there.  Are you compiling audition tapes for another gig?  Good F'in luck.  You'll do better in a job where you can be more objective.

Something has gone wrong with your objectivity in calling Razorback games.  Subjectivity isn't necessarily a good thing, when you end up sounding stupid.

Regards,

Biggus F. Piggus, CFA

I've always thought Jimmy Dykes has done a great job. In fact, I like the fact that he is critical. I'm almost always critical of the hogs when I don't think they're very good. I was critical of HDN for the last 5 years, I was critical of Heath starting in year 3, and I was even critical of Nolan in his last couple of years. What's wrong with thinking that we should be better than we are? BTW, he may have been right about us over reaching on the size of BWA too. It's obvious that we're not going to fill that place unless we're at least a top 25 team.

Jeffcphog

Quote from: eathill5 on December 18, 2008, 02:10:00 pm
I assume you understand he is an ESPN analyst

Oh really?  I know he is an ESPIN analyst, but he does not have that hat on when he is the color guy on a home Razorback telecast.  As stated above, I am crazy about Dykes.  Just getting tired of some of his negative comments.

bricklayer

Jimmy does a great job.  He's one of the best announcers on ESPN and I'm glad he's announcing our games.  He's got a great basketball IQ and represents our state well with every game he announces.  Lighten up and enjoy life.  People on here just look for things to complain about which is sad.

trufanofhogs

I always look forward to Jimmy doing some of our early season games.  He is an Arkansas guy, but he is surpassed by no one as a basketball analyst. I respect his knowledge, and enjoy his assessment of the Hogs.

Gohawgs71

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 18, 2008, 10:28:11 am
Dear Jimmy Dykes,

Regards,

Biggus F. Piggus, CFA

Dykes is great....you're a [CENSORED] idiot Piggus 

SPAL

you dropped the ball on this one....you are way off base.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on December 18, 2008, 10:47:06 am
I didn't think Dykes was all that bad.

Would you rather have Slick Rick?

Or even better yet, Billy Packer?
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd