Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Starting Lineup

Started by Hogs49ers, June 06, 2017, 03:04:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jry04

Jared Gates tweeted that he is excited for next season. Obviously the draft could change his stance on that, but I do not think he is for sure leaving like some thought.

TebowHater

Quote from: jry04 on June 07, 2017, 07:16:31 pm
Jared Gates tweeted that he is excited for next season. Obviously the draft could change his stance on that, but I do not think he is for sure leaving like some thought.

Indeed, came here to share that too. He also said the same thing in the press conference after the final game. Was very clear about wanting to build momentum for next year. Would be ironic if Shaddy (who we all thought would be back during the season) left and Gates (who many thought would be gone) returned.

https://twitter.com/jaredgates02/status/872559011647946753

futurehogdad

Shaddy's dad played close to 1,000 Minor league games.  If he was smart he would come back to school and MILK his Razorback connection and land a Great career in NWA.

bulldog04

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 06, 2017, 08:22:37 pm
i'm wondering where the big bats are going to come from? who will be our best hitters? the guy we can count on to come up big ?
Biggers, Koch, and Fletcher will be here. I expect a big year from Koch as he should get days off and DH some next year.  I feel he got wore dowm mentally and physically

jry04

Quote from: TebowHater on June 07, 2017, 07:30:08 pm
Indeed, came here to share that too. He also said the same thing in the press conference after the final game. Was very clear about wanting to build momentum for next year. Would be ironic if Shaddy (who we all thought would be back during the season) left and Gates (who many thought would be gone) returned.

https://twitter.com/jaredgates02/status/872559011647946753

Having heard Shaddy already has his degree I would not blame him if he left regardless of the draft.

TebowHater

DVH said Gates would be back in his PC today. Also said Shaddy is gone if drafted, which he thinks he will be.

https://twitter.com/RazNation/status/873210905290575873

TebowHater

Quote from: Rockhawg on June 06, 2017, 03:52:54 pm
Fri. - Campbell
Sat. - Murphy
Sun. - Kopps
RHP Closer - Scroggins
LHP Closer - Cronin

DVH:
I think the chance of Scroggins pitching in 2018 are slim. If any. None.
McKinney, he's 50-50.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: TebowHater on June 09, 2017, 02:39:26 pm
DVH:
I think the chance of Scroggins pitching in 2018 are slim. If any. None.
McKinney, he's 50-50.

Surprising DVH would say that about McKinney ... wonder what's behind that ... I wonder if Scroggins will transfer if not drafted.

Kevin

He said scroggins will not pitch next year.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bulldog04

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 09, 2017, 09:41:19 pm
Surprising DVH would say that about McKinney ... wonder what's behind that ... I wonder if Scroggins will transfer if not drafted.
They had Tommy John. Scroggins was a little later in the year and probably won't be ready. I think KM will be pitching when conference starts. If they do get drafted they might go ahead and go

ucahogfan

We will have a much better idea of what our 2018 lineup will look like after the top 10 rounds are over Tuesday night in terms of getting top talent to campus.  General rule of thumb now is any player taken outside of the top 10 rounds will make it to campus.

ucahogfan

I am really liking the lineup we can put together next year.  I wrote in a lot of detail in my Way Too Early thread and will resurrect it in a few weeks after the signing deadline.  After listening to DVH, here is what I could see us running out next year:

1.  Evan Lee - RF/DH - I could see Lee starting in RF on Friday and Saturday and on the mound Sunday while DHing so we keep his bat in the lineup all weekend.  He has great plate discipline and is the ideal lead off hitter with that skill and the fact that DVH says he is the best base runner on the team.  I think an attainable ceiling for him could be .330/.425/.500 type slash with 15 2Bs, 5 HRs, and 15 SBs if DVH wants to run more like he indicated we would.

2.  Jax Biggers - SS - Biggers is going to be a major part of our offense next year although will be a huge switch up from Spanberger who was in the 2 hole last year.  I think an attainable ceiling for him could be .360/.450/.550 with 15 2Bs, 8 HRs, and 15 SBs.  DVH didn't have him run much, but it looked like he had good speed.

3.  Eric Cole - LF - Had he not started the season so poorly, he would have hit .325+ this year easily.  He was one of our top hitters the last half of the season.  I think an attainable ceiling for him is .360/.430/.600 with 15 2Bs, 10+ HRs, and 15 SBs.  DVH wants him to become more of a base stealing threat so I think he can.

4.  Grant Koch - C - Had a huge slump at the end of the year as he had trouble hitting HRs and wore down from catching every single game.  Having Opitz and Plunkett available will be huge for this team to give him time off.  I think an attainable ceiling for him could be .315/.400/.630 with 15 2Bs, 20 HRs, and 70 RBIs with those three hitters in front of him.

5.  Dominic Fletcher - CF - Struggled in the middle part of the season before coming on strong to show how he adjusted which was impressive for a true freshman.  He has big time power from a small frame much like another CF we had.  I think an attainable ceiling for him is .325/.415/.640 with 12 2Bs, 20 HRs, and 45-50 RBIs.  Koch and Fletcher could be the scariest 4-5 combo in the country next year.

6.  Jared Gates - 3B - DVH talked a lot about Gates in his postseason PC and made it seem like he would be a key piece in our lineup next year.  I don't think he ever got to show us his true potential with the injury and not getting into the swing of things.  I think an attainable ceiling could be .315/.380/.550 with 15 2Bs, 12 HRs, and 40+ RBIs.  He provides yet another big time bat in the middle third of our lineup.

7.  Jordan McFarland - 1B - Another player DVH mentioned in his postseason PC and how he expects a big leap like we see from a lot of freshmen to sophomores.  He has a rare combo of power and speed and could have a Brent Rooker like ceiling.  I think an attainable ceiling could be .300/.375/.550 with 12+ HRs and 12+ SBs.

8.  Cole Turney - DH/RF - You know the lineup is going be extremely scary when Turney is hitting 8th even as a freshman.  He has some of the best power in the 2017 class, but he has raised some concerns about his hit tool.  Hopefully our new hitting coach has him adjust to have the big time power come naturally ala Spanberger and let the hit tool carry him.  I think an attainable ceiling could be .280/.350/.500 with 10+ HRs and could be a 5-10 SB guy if he really is a 6.7 runner.

9.  Casey Martin - 2B - The biggest question mark right now would be 2B depending on Turney making it to campus which I think he does.  DVH says Jaxon Williams has a ways to go before he can start and hopefully he reaches it because he could be a great player for us.  You could have Hunter Wilson or Jack Kenley start here as well, but DVH also mentioned a few freshmen could start here as well.  Martin was the Gatorade POTY for Arkansas this year and those people who have seen him say he has true 5 tool potential.  I don't think I could be an attainable ceiling on him as I don't have enough information, but he could surprise us.

Overall, this lineup is going to be more dynamic next year with more speed; however, I don't think the power is going away any time soon.  We could hit 80+ HRs again next year and it wouldn't surprise me at all.

SPAL

1. Cole LF
2. Wilson 2b
3. Koch  C
4. Fletcher CF
5. Biggers SS
6. McFarland RF
7. Gates 1b
8. Kenley 3b
9.  Lee DH

Friday: Campbell
Saturday: Murphy
Sunday: Kopps

Closer: Cronin

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 10, 2017, 07:03:56 pm
1. Cole LF
2. Wilson 2b
3. Koch  C
4. Fletcher CF
5. Biggers SS
6. McFarland RF
7. Gates 1b
8. Kenley 3b
9.  Lee DH

Friday: Campbell
Saturday: Murphy
Sunday: Kopps

Closer: Cronin
Do you not think Turney comes to campus or is just not in the lineup?  Also, I think you would flip McFarland and Cole defensively.  McFarland had more of a LF type profile coming out of high school.  I'm also skeptical on Wilson that high in the order.  Sure he hit .310, but he didn't have an XBH during that time.  It also looks like you really value defense with Wilson and Kenley both in the lineup.

SPAL

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 10, 2017, 07:11:06 pm
Do you not think Turney comes to campus or is just not in the lineup?  Also, I think you would flip McFarland and Cole defensively.  McFarland had more of a LF type profile coming out of high school.  I'm also skeptical on Wilson that high in the order.  Sure he hit .310, but he didn't have an XBH during that time.  It also looks like you really value defense with Wilson and Kenley both in the lineup.

I don't think Turney makes it. I do value defense , and you could put Wilson at 3rd and Williams at 2nd, I just don't think Williams is ready.

I guess the popular pick is to put biggers in the 2 hole, and you could go that route. But Wilson can hit.

I think next year we will be less of a power team and more of a hit for average team.

You may be right on switching Cole/McFarland.

ucahogfan

There will also be a lot to like with the depth on the offense next year both with players already on campus and with incoming players.

At catcher, you have Zack Plunkett who transferred in from TCU and redshirted this year as well as Casey Opitz coming in who is a top 10 round talent.  He will be playing for the Midland Redskins this summer which is an elite summer team.

In the infield, you have Kenley, Williams, Burch, and Wilson all coming back who saw game time last year along with incomers such as Casey Martin, Easton Murrell, and Jacob Nesbit along with several more.  Canaan Smith could be either a C or 1B and has big time power from the LH side along with good plate discipline as he walked something like 50+ times in high school ball this year.

In the outfield, we don't have the depth on campus, but you have signees like Heston Kjerstand, Alerick Soulaire, and Evan Hooper coming in who are all well respected.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 10, 2017, 07:31:31 pm
I don't think Turney makes it. I do value defense , and you could put Wilson at 3rd and Williams at 2nd, I just don't think Williams is ready.

I guess the popular pick is to put biggers in the 2 hole, and you could go that route. But Wilson can hit.

I think next year we will be less of a power team and more of a hit for average team.

You may be right on switching Cole/McFarland.
Ok, I can see where you are coming from about Turney.  I don't know if Williams is ready yet either although he could be in for a huge jump from freshman to sophomore year.

I just don't think we have enough of a track record to know if Wilson can hit.  I think the potential is there, but we have about 30 PAs of a track record for Wilson as a Hog against non-SEC teams.

We will have some pop in the middle of the order with Fletcher and Koch, but yeah, this team could easily hit .300+ next year.

Paul Westerhawg

Again, as Dave said Friday, Williams has a long way to go. Also, the HR power this team displayed is an every 3 or 4 year thing. He said next year's team will hit more doubles.

Rockhawg

DVH says that Knight could possibly return next year. Holy Cow ! That would be a filthy pitching rotation! Campbell, Knight, Tillo, Murphy, Kopps, 6' 8" Rutledge, Cronin, Reindl, Loseke, and others. WOW ! And Gates coming back, hopefully to his Fall Ball form, we could contend for SEC Championship and Omaha title. Fall Ball can't get here soon enough!

SPAL

Quote from: Rockhawg on June 10, 2017, 08:39:12 pm
DVH says that Knight could possibly return next year. Holy Cow ! That would be a filthy pitching rotation! Campbell, Knight, Tillo, Murphy, Kopps, 6' 8" Rutledge, Cronin, Reindl, Loseke, and others. WOW ! And Gates coming back, hopefully to his Fall Ball form, we could contend for SEC Championship and Omaha title. Fall Ball can't get here soon enough!

No doubt.

Mlb draft....
Summer Ball
Fall ball
Season starts.

Baseball is fun.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Paul Westerhawg on June 10, 2017, 08:27:53 pm
Again, as Dave said Friday, Williams has a long way to go. Also, the HR power this team displayed is an every 3 or 4 year thing. He said next year's team will hit more doubles.
I saw DVH's PC and where he said that; however, we return Koch and Fletcher who both hit at least 12 HRs this year.  It isn't crazy to think they have 15-20 HR next year.  Gates had 6 HRs in about half the games this year so thinking he doubles that total isn't crazy.  McFarland has big time raw power so it isn't crazy to think 10+ HRs is possible.  Cole hit 5 HRs and Biggers hit 4 HRs so thinking they each hit a couple of more is crazy.

If Koch and Fletcher both hit 15, Gates hits 12, McFarland hits 10, and Cole and Biggers both hit 6, that is 64 and not even looking at other hitters.  I don't think that is crazy either.

ucahogfan

Now for the mound:

Friday - Blaine Knight - DVH has gotten my hopes up now that Knight could be here next year.  I think if he isn't taken Monday evening, then we will probably see him in a Hog uni in 2018.  Should he add 20-30 pounds, he could easily be a top 5 pick next year.  Like I said in a thread earlier today, he could be comparable to Kyle Wright at Vandy who might go #1 Monday.  Let's just say he adds a couple MPH to his fastball with the added weight and is 92-97 with his fastball instead of 90-95 and can hit 98-99 at times, it isn't out of the realm to think he could contest to be the #1 pick next year.  That is thinking the off speed improves as well and gives him a 55 type pitch on both the curve and change and a 60 on the slider.  He could be a 100 IP+ guy for us with about 10 Ks / 9 which is a little improvement from what we saw this year with an ERA in the 2.5-2.8 range.

Saturday - Isaiah Campbell - He could start on Friday night for a lot of teams in the country, but DVH would go with experience with Knight on Friday night.  Another RHP who could sit mid 90s with his fastball and strike a lot of guys out.  It was a shame that he was hurt this year, but he could set himself up to be a 1st round pick with Knight as well.

Sunday - Daniel Tillo or Evan Lee - Both are big time LHPs.  Tillo can sit 92-95 with a plus slider, but has had control issues in JUCO this year.  Still, he is looking at being a 3rd round pick this year unless he wants to come to school.  Should he get to school and work with Johnson, he could go 1st round at the very least and top 10 should he show good control as LHPs who throw that hard are few and far between.  If Tillo signs, Evan Lee could make for a good Sunday starter.  He has 95 in there as well with a big breaking ball.  I think you start him even if you only expect 1 time through the order so that his bat will be in the lineup.

Fourth Starter - Kacey Murphy - He was huge for us down the stretch and actually had a higher strikeout rate than Stephan who had one of the top 5 strike out seasons in program history.  While he mainly worked 88-91 this year, he is going to stay on campus this summer to get stronger so he can throw harder.  Let's just say he works 90-93 next year with that wipeout breaking ball that he has, he could be another top 3 round pick on this staff.  DVH isn't sure where he slots in next year with Knight and Tillo potentially being on campus in 2018, but he does know Murphy will play a big role on the staff.

Closer - Matt Cronin - Like a lot of Hog pitchers, the stuff is electric.  With an added offseason, he could ramp up the velo even more.  Instead of topping 94 in short stints, maybe he could be 96 with his breaking ball.  He could either be a 3 out weapon ala Colby Suggs or more of a versatile option ala Barrett Astin.  He will strike out a lot of hitters as well.

Setup - Jake Reindl - He was our best pitcher in SEC play and his funky motion helps his 88-91 fastball play up against hitters.  He also has a pretty good slider and should be a major piece out of the pen again next year.

Setup - Kevin Kopps - Another major piece on our staff in 2017 was Kopps.  While he doesn't have 95 in the tank like several of our pitchers, his cutter is one of the best pitches on the staff.  It generates a lot of swings and misses and weak contact.  He could easily be a weekend starter, but maybe he gets the ball second on Sunday after Lee.

Middle Relief - Barrett Loseke - He has the talent to pitch in the Cape Cod League even after not throwing much down the stretch.  There is 96 in his arm, but his control can drift at times which makes it tough for DVH to keep him in.  Hopefully he learns to command his stuff more and he could easily be a huge part of this staff and a top 5 pick next June.  He was named the #1 prospect in the Coastal Plains League for a reason.

Middle Relief - Breden Heiss - He didn't throw much this year which is a shame, but he could be the hardest thrower on this team.  He hit 96 in high school so it isn't crazy to think he could hit 98-99 at times as a Hog.  Unless it is as straight as an arrow, that will generate some swings and misses.

Middle Relief - Jacob Kostyshock - Much like Knight, he needs to add weight so who knows what he could ultimately top out at.  It could be 91-92 like he is now or it could be 95-96.  Would be hard to keep him off the mound if he is 95-96.

Middle Relief - Weston Rodgers - Another LHP who adds more depth.

Freshman - Bryce Bonnin - He is 90-96 with a plus slider right now.  Should he make it to campus, he could play a major role on this staff as a weapon at the back end of the bullpen.

Freshman - Jackson Rutledge - Sure he hits 94 now, but he is a 6-8 RHP.  He could easily gain some velo once he enters Johnson's program.  Could see him 96-97 at times next year.

Question Mark - Keaton McKinney - DVH said it is 50/50 if he pitches next year, but if he does come back, I could see him being a weapon out of the pen getting a couple of outs at a time.  Let's just say he is 92-94 with that change, who hits him?  People had trouble hitting him when he threw 86-90.  Could be a huge boost to this staff.

ucahogfan

Let's just say we have both Knight and Tillo on campus next year, it could be the best draft year ever for our program.

On the mound, you have Knight, Campbell, and Tillo be 1st round picks.  If Murphy is 90-93, he could be a top 3-5 round pick as he also mixes in a nasty breaking ball.  McKinney could be a top 10 round pick should he come back healthy as his change is plus.  Loseke could be a top 10 round pick as well with some good stuff.  Kopps and Reindl both probably get draft as well, but probably after the 10th round unless they add some velo heading into next season.

At the plate, Koch could be a 1st round pick as a C who will probably stay there at the next level with big time power.  He threw out 40% of potential base stealers this year which is elite and that is including having Stephan who let 91% of potential base stealers succeed.  Take away Stephan, and Koch threw out over 50% of potential base stealers.  He needs to improve his receiving skills, but the rest of his game is solid.  Biggers could be a top 3 round pick as a college SS who will stay there with a good hit tool.  His power is better than expected too.  If Cole hits like I think he could, he could be a top 5 round pick as well with a nice combo of power and speed.  Should Gates perform, he could be a top 10 round pick as a senior sign.

I know I might be over optimistic, but we could have like 10 guys go in the top 10 rounds next year depending on who all is on campus.

BroyledNutts

Nice work, UCA ... if there's no room in the starting rotation for Murphy, I'd like him to be this team's version of Brandon Moore - a lock down reliever that can come in at any time, eat innings, and keep teams off the scoreboard ... it would also be nice to have him as a mid-week starter against higher profile OOC opponents.

Maddhog

Great job there, uca.  Thanks.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

dotnet

If Knight comes back, I think this is a top 5-10 team next year if no one really regresses.  I break it down into three categories that is where people will most likely fall (people can over/under perform):

300+ AVG / 385-415 OBP / < 10 HRs
Biggers
Cole
Lee

280 + AVG / 360+ OBP / >10 HRs
Koch
Gates

300+ AVG / 385-415 OBP / > 10 HRs
Fletcher
McFarland

To have seven people on this list is excellent.  especially with 4 people who need very little improvement to even meet this criteria (Cole, Biggers, Koch, and Fletcher), and the other three with verifiable reasons for expecting them to meet it (Lee - actuall did with small sample size, McFarland - power should jump with more comfort in year 2, gates - did it in stretches and in fall ball). 

This list tells you that I think Fletcher and McFarland can be super stars.

dotnet

Oh, and I think Lee has to start on the mound next year.  Its the only way to make sure you have his bat in the lineup on a regular basis and you don't lose the value of his arm. 

The arm judgement is using some projecting since he only threw 15 innings, allowed way too many homers, but did strike out more than a batter per inning.  A little misleading since his last few outings were just for a batter or two and he struck out basically everyone he saw in those appearances. 

But if he isn't good enough to be a weekend starter, and only one of Murphy or Cronin is starting - then I think you still have enough LHP in the bullpen to allow Lee to just develop as the mid week starter and focus on hitting during the weekends. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 12, 2017, 11:46:22 am
If Knight comes back, I think this is a top 5-10 team next year if no one really regresses.  I break it down into three categories that is where people will most likely fall (people can over/under perform):

300+ AVG / 385-415 OBP / < 10 HRs
Biggers
Cole
Lee

280 + AVG / 360+ OBP / >10 HRs
Koch
Gates

300+ AVG / 385-415 OBP / > 10 HRs
Fletcher
McFarland

To have seven people on this list is excellent.  especially with 4 people who need very little improvement to even meet this criteria (Cole, Biggers, Koch, and Fletcher), and the other three with verifiable reasons for expecting them to meet it (Lee - actuall did with small sample size, McFarland - power should jump with more comfort in year 2, gates - did it in stretches and in fall ball). 

This list tells you that I think Fletcher and McFarland can be super stars.
Yeah, there isn't much dreaming for this to be true next year.  We know that McFarland and Lee have big time potential and Gates showed flashes, but the rest of them are basically replicating last season.  I think Koch and Gates have .300+ potential as well.  Turney has double digit HR pop should he make it to campus.  A lot to like for our offense next year.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 12, 2017, 11:50:18 am
Oh, and I think Lee has to start on the mound next year.  Its the only way to make sure you have his bat in the lineup on a regular basis and you don't lose the value of his arm. 

The arm judgement is using some projecting since he only threw 15 innings, allowed way too many homers, but did strike out more than a batter per inning.  A little misleading since his last few outings were just for a batter or two and he struck out basically everyone he saw in those appearances. 

But if he isn't good enough to be a weekend starter, and only one of Murphy or Cronin is starting - then I think you still have enough LHP in the bullpen to allow Lee to just develop as the mid week starter and focus on hitting during the weekends.
Fully agree with you. Even if you only expect 9 outs or so for him, you have to start him to keep his bat in the lineup.  I think DVH will start him for that exact reason.

flippinhogmana

All I can say is that everyone should be publicly skeptical of this team.  Why? Because every time we think we are really good- for one reason or another-we dont seem to live up to it.  Knock on wood if you will, or from another prospective, let other people praise (and not our fans) and not your own lips.  If we 'keep it humble', dont read our own press reports, and work like we are underdogs again with something to prove, we will do alright next year.   ;)
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 12, 2017, 10:44:41 pm
All I can say is that everyone should be publicly skeptical of this team.  Why? Because every time we think we are really good- for one reason or another-we dont seem to live up to it.  Knock on wood if you will, or from another prospective, let other people praise (and not our fans) and not your own lips.  If we 'keep it humble', dont read our own press reports, and work like we are underdogs again with something to prove, we will do alright next year.   ;)

That's a fair point, and our history does bear that out somewhat but, as bad of a feeling as it was for them last year to be left out of post season play, having to watch MoState celebrate on our field this year could be just as much of a motivator for the guys we have coming back.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

ThisTeetsTaken

So no chance Bonfield comes back?   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

jry04

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 13, 2017, 07:49:51 am
So no chance Bonfield comes back?   
Depends on if he is drafted. Some speculate he will go in the top 20 rounds, and others say he may not go at all. DVH made it sound like both him and Shaddy are not locks to be taken so they could be back, but if they are drafted they are 100% gone.

flippinhogmana

June 13, 2017, 11:19:34 am #83 Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:10:06 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 13, 2017, 07:38:24 am

That's a fair point, and our history does bear that out somewhat but, as bad of a feeling as it was for them last year to be left out of post season play, having to watch MoState celebrate on our field this year could be just as much of a motivator for the guys we have coming back.

True.  I think that might just be a tonic for what ails them for this coming year.  Its sad in a way.  At the end of the year I think this was one of our best teams ever.  It was sad that Bonfield and Koch were hitting much there at the end, otherwise we might have had a different ending.  We certainly didnt miss the supers by much as it was.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

SPAL

Quote from: jry04 on June 13, 2017, 07:59:20 am
Depends on if he is drafted. Some speculate he will go in the top 20 rounds, and others say he may not go at all. DVH made it sound like both him and Shaddy are not locks to be taken so they could be back, but if they are drafted they are 100% gone.

I've long said Shaddy will be back. I just don't see what he does at the next level. But, the people I trust are saying he is leaving so until I see otherwise, I'll not count on him next year.

Bonfield will get drafted .

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2017, 11:42:45 am
I've long said Shaddy will be back. I just don't see what he does at the next level. But, the people I trust are saying he is leaving so until I see otherwise, I'll not count on him next year.

Yeah, I have been right there with you. However, someone brought up the point that he has been in school for 4 years, has his degree, and is just ready to move on with his life. I can certainly understand that, too. I cannot imagine Bonfield not being drafted, but I think he ends up one of the few players that was offered more money out of high school than he was after college under DVH.

Hogs49ers

Well....we can go ahead and delete the first 2 pages of this thread ;)
SCREW Vandy!

Rockhawg

My, My, how things can change. So, we get back two returning starters who can hit .300 with 8 to 10 HR's in Bonfield and Shaddy. We also get some Highly recruited Freshmen we thought we would lose to the draft. Then, you pencil in Knight, Bonnin, Rutledge, with each having Big League stuff! What is not to like about this Team? With another year of our Pitching Staff getting to work with Wes Johnson, look out!

Kevin

it is good to have these guys back, but we are going to lose some talented young guys.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Knot2brite

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2017, 11:42:45 am

Shaddy would have been gone if he had been taken or at least taken in the first 20 rounds ....but since he wasn't....it only makes sense to come back and play one more year and try to improve his position in the draft.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

jry04

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 15, 2017, 07:16:42 am
Shaddy would have been gone if he had been taken or at least taken in the first 20 rounds ....but since he wasn't....it only makes sense to come back and play one more year and try to improve his position in the draft.
He was never going in the top 20 rounds, but you are correct. Bonfield would have been gone in that scenario, too. I think Bonfield is drafted next year, but not sure Shaddy is unless a team pulls a Chadwick and just wants to sign a senior under slot to save for better options.

A guy like Shaddy probably isn't getting drafted, but a team can take him in the 9th or 10th round and say sign with us for $10k and give it your best shot or be on your way, then the team has over $100k extra in bonus pool to play with. It is a win for both parties because they sign him for under slot, and he gets drafted when it didn't look like he would and makes a little money before starting a new career.

ucahogfan

Post Draft Lineup

Catcher - Grant Koch (Junior) - I think he is a potential 1st round pick next year.  The power is legit to all fields and he could be a 15-20 HR guy as a junior especially if he has adequate backup to get him rest on a regular basis.  He has elite arm strength as well who can shut down opposing teams on the base paths.

Backups - Casey Opitz (Freshman), Zack Plunkett (RS Sophomore) - Catching depth won't be a problem next year barring a lot of injuries.

First Baseman - Jordan McFarland (Sophomore) - First base is the big question mark on the team next year IMO, but McFarland brings a unique skill set with his power and speed.  I think he has the potential to be a 10+ HR and 10+ SB type player.  He does need to improve some defensively, but that will come with reps.

Backups - Luke Bonfield (Senior), Jared Gates (Senior)

Second Baseman - Carson Shaddy (RS Senior) - One of the two surprise returns along with Luke Bonfield, Shaddy coming back makes us about as strong up the middle as any team in the country.  I think he is primed for a huge senior year as he has been a .330+ hitter before and I think he will be again as a senior and finally hit 10+ HRs.  He improved a lot defensively as the season went along as well.

Backups - Matt Burch (Sophomore), Jack Kenley (Sophomore), Casey Martin (Freshman), Easton Murrell (Freshman), Bryce Bonnin (Freshman), Jacob Nesbit (Freshman)

Third Baseman - Jared Gates (Senior) - It was a shame that he broke his hand just as the season was about to begin as I don't think we were ever able to see the real Jared Gates.  I think we see a hitter that hits well over .300 with a lot of extra base hits as he was an elite hitter at the JUCO level.

Backups - Matt Burch (Sophomore), Jack Kenley (Sophomore), Casey Martin (Freshman), Easton Murrell (Freshman), Bryce Bonnin (Freshman), Jacob Nesbit (Freshman)

Short Stop - Jax Biggers (Junior) - The player who should have been the 1st team All-SEC SS is primed for a big junior year.  He could be a .370 hitter or better for his ceiling with 30+ XBHs along with his elite defense.  I would like to see him run more as I think we didn't utilize his speed well enough.

Backups - Jack Kenley (Sophomore), Casey Martin (Freshman), Easton Murrell (Freshman), Bryce Bonnin (Freshman), Jacob Nesbit (Freshman)

Left Field - Eric Cole (Junior) - He was one of our best hitters the second half of the season and is primed for a big junior season.  I think he could be a .350+ hitter and DVH made it sound like he could work on getting stronger so he could be yet another 10+ HR threat in our lineup for next year.  He is also an excellent defender.

Backups - Luke Bonfield (Senior), Cole Turney (Freshman), Bryce Bonnin (Freshman), Heston Kjerstad (Freshman)

Center Field - Dominic Fletcher (Sophomore) - Once he finally adjusted to SEC pitching, he was very good at the plate and is primed for a huge sophomore year.  I think he will challenge Grant Koch for the team lead in HRs next year in the 15-20 range and will be a .300+ type hitter as well.  He is having a big summer power wise in California much like Spanberger did last year.  While he doesn't have the speed that Cole or Lee do, he is an elite defender like his older brother and has an arm which shuts down players trying to take the extra base.

Backups - Eric Cole (Junior), Heston Kjerstad (Freshman), Carson Shaddy (RS Senior)

Right Field - Evan Lee (Sophomore) - He is having a great summer in California both at the plate and on the mound, but I think he will be in the lineup a lot next year.  He has shown great plate discipline and DVH has said that he is our best base runner.  He has a nice swing, but doesn't quite have the HR power that most of the lineup does.  He is a good defender and the arm is elite given that he can also throw a 95 MPH fastball.

Backups - Eric Cole (Junior), Heston Kjerstad (Freshman), Cole Turney (Freshman)

Designated Hitter - Luke Bonfield (Senior) - He was a big time player coming out of high school and has done well during his time on campus.  I think he is set up for a huge senior season anchoring our lineup as he has done for two years already.  He is not a bad defender, but we have a lot of excellent defenders so he is the perfect DH for us.

Backups - Literally anyone on the team

Batting Order
1.  Eric Cole - LF
2.  Jax Biggers - SS
3.  Luke Bonfield - DH
4.  Grant Koch - C
5.  Dominic Fletcher - CF
6.  Carson Shaddy - 2B
7.  Jared Gates - 3B
8.  Jordan McFarland - 1B
9.  Evan Lee - RF

colbs

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 03, 2017, 09:57:26 pm
Post Draft Lineup

Catcher - Grant Koch (Junior) - I think he is a potential 1st round pick next year.  The power is legit to all fields and he could be a 15-20 HR guy as a junior especially if he has adequate backup to get him rest on a regular basis.  He has elite arm strength as well who can shut down opposing teams on the base paths.

Backups - Casey Opitz (Freshman), Zack Plunkett (RS Sophomore) - Catching depth won't be a problem next year barring a lot of injuries.

First Baseman - Jordan McFarland (Sophomore) - First base is the big question mark on the team next year IMO, but McFarland brings a unique skill set with his power and speed.  I think he has the potential to be a 10+ HR and 10+ SB type player.  He does need to improve some defensively, but that will come with reps.

Backups - Luke Bonfield (Senior), Jared Gates (Senior)

Second Baseman - Carson Shaddy (RS Senior) - One of the two surprise returns along with Luke Bonfield, Shaddy coming back makes us about as strong up the middle as any team in the country.  I think he is primed for a huge senior year as he has been a .330+ hitter before and I think he will be again as a senior and finally hit 10+ HRs.  He improved a lot defensively as the season went along as well.

Third Baseman - Jared Gates (Senior) - It was a shame that he broke his hand just as the season was about to begin as I don't think we were ever able to see the real Jared Gates.  I think we see a hitter that hits well over .300 with a lot of extra base hits as he was an elite hitter at the JUCO level.

Short Stop - Jax Biggers (Junior) - The player who should have been the 1st team All-SEC SS is primed for a big junior year.  He could be a .370 hitter or better for his ceiling with 30+ XBHs along with his elite defense.  I would like to see him run more as I think we didn't utilize his speed well enough.

Backups - Jack Kenley (Sophomore), Casey Martin (Freshman), Easton Murrell (Freshman), Bryce Bonnin (Freshman), Jacob Nesbit (Freshman)

Left Field - Eric Cole (Junior) - He was one of our best hitters the second half of the season and is primed for a big junior season.  I think he could be a .350+ hitter and DVH made it sound like he could work on getting stronger so he could be yet another 10+ HR threat in our lineup for next year.  He is also an excellent defender.

Backups - Luke Bonfield (Senior), Cole Turney (Freshman), Bryce Bonnin (Freshman), Heston Kjerstad (Freshman)

Center Field - Dominic Fletcher (Sophomore) - Once he finally adjusted to SEC pitching, he was very good at the plate and is primed for a huge sophomore year.  I think he will challenge Grant Koch for the team lead in HRs next year in the 15-20 range and will be a .300+ type hitter as well.  He is having a big summer power wise in California much like Spanberger did last year.  While he doesn't have the speed that Cole or Lee do, he is an elite defender like his older brother and has an arm which shuts down players trying to take the extra base.

Backups - Eric Cole (Junior), Heston Kjerstad (Freshman), Carson Shaddy (RS Senior)

Right Field - Evan Lee (Sophomore) - He is having a great summer in California both at the plate and on the mound, but I think he will be in the lineup a lot next year.  He has shown great plate discipline and DVH has said that he is our best base runner.  He has a nice swing, but doesn't quite have the HR power that most of the lineup does.  He is a good defender and the arm is elite given that he can also throw a 95 MPH fastball.

Backups - Eric Cole (Junior), Heston Kjerstad (Freshman), Cole Turney (Freshman)

Designated Hitter - Luke Bonfield (Senior) - He was a big time player coming out of high school and has done well during his time on campus.  I think he is set up for a huge senior season anchoring our lineup as he has done for two years already.  He is not a bad defender, but we have a lot of excellent defenders so he is the perfect DH for us.

Backups - Literally anyone on the team

Batting Order
1.  Eric Cole - LF
2.  Jax Biggers - SS
3.  Luke Bonfield - DH
4.  Grant Koch - C
5.  Dominic Fletcher - CF
6.  Carson Shaddy - 2B
7.  Jared Gates - 3B
8.  Jordan McFarland - 1B
9.  Evan Lee - RF
It will be tough to keep Turney and  Bonnin out of the lineup but at the same time not sure who they would replace.  Either way it's a good problem to have.  That's a very good lineup.

ucahogfan

Quote from: colbs on July 03, 2017, 10:29:43 pm
It will be tough to keep Turney and  Bonnin out of the lineup but at the same time not sure who they would replace.  Either way it's a good problem to have.  That's a very good lineup.
Yeah, most years, those two would probably be key pieces in our lineup; however, we return 7 starters from one of our better offenses under DVH.  You also have Lee who is having a great summer and McFarland is expected to make a big leap as well.  I think we see Bonnin, Turney, Martin, Kjerstad, and Opitz see quite a few mid week starts this year though to get them some ABs in case they are needed as the year goes along.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 04, 2017, 09:32:32 am
Yeah, most years, those two would probably be key pieces in our lineup; however, we return 7 starters from one of our better offenses under DVH.  You also have Lee who is having a great summer and McFarland is expected to make a big leap as well.  I think we see Bonnin, Turney, Martin, Kjerstad, and Opitz see quite a few mid week starts this year though to get them some ABs in case they are needed as the year goes along.

Hopefully we have some guys that can come in and play when one of the returning guys isn't getting it done. It happens every year, and will again this next season, hopefully somebody steps up and says "play me" with their bat.

ucahogfan

Post Draft Pitching

Friday - Blaine Knight (Junior) - Let's hope he comes back around 185-190 next year and is stronger.  We already know that at a minimum, he works 90-95 and hits 96-97 during some starts with a good slider and good command.  If he can add a couple of ticks to his fastball where he is working 92-97, he won't last long next year on draft night especially since you would think his other pitches will improve as well.

Saturday - Isaiah Campbell (RS Sophomore) - Much like this year, it will probably be 1A and 1B next year.  Campbell would have been our Friday night guy this year and brings a nice arsenal to the mound.  I think there were reports that he was working mid 90s last fall and he is built like a work horse so you would think he could hold that velo during his starts.  He also had a good summer out in California last year so that is promising.

Sunday - Kacey Murphy (Junior) - Hopefully his last couple of outings show us what to expect for next year where he does a great job of spotting his fastball to both sides of the plate.  While he was mainly 88-91 this year, DVH has mentioned he is working hard to add strength and gain some velo so maybe he is 90-93 next year which would make him an elite Sunday starter especially with that breaking ball he has.

Instead of doing specified roles in the pen, I'm going to break it down by level of experience.

The Vets
Keaton McKinney (RS Junior) - Another huge loss for this staff last year along with Campbell and Scroggins, he probably won't be ready once the season begins.  Who truly knows the time line, but I would expect he will be monitored closely.  Maybe he can be the shut down closer where he is working 92-94 with his normal life and adds in that nasty change up.

Jake Reindl (Junior) - He became a go-to option down the stretch for us.  He was arguably our top pitcher in SEC play last year and had a sub 1 ERA in 29.0 IP during conference play.  He doesn't light up radar guns as he mainly works 88-91, but he has a funky delivery and a good slider so hitters stay off balance and don't square his pitch up very often.  He will be a big piece of our pen however DVH decides to utilize him.

Barrett Loseke (Junior) - The raw stuff is every bit as good as Knight and Campbell and a big reason why he was invited early on to pitch on the Cape.  He can throw 90-96 with his fastball and adds a nice breaking ball.  He has struggled to consistently fill up the zone which is why he didn't get much time on the mound last year.  If he consistently fills the zone, he could easily be our Sunday guy next year.

The Sophomores
Kevin Kopps (RS Sophomore) - Much like Reindl, he doesn't light up radar guns as he mainly works 88-91, but that cutter is his go to pitch.  He pitches off the cutter and hitters have a tough time squaring it up.  He will yet again be a key piece in our pen next year.

Matt Cronin (Sophomore) - He might have the most explosive fastball on the team in the 90-94 range and struck out 31 hitters in only 18.0 IP last year.  He needs to do a better job of filling up the zone as he also walked 12 batters, but pitchers with his raw stuff typically struggle throwing strikes early in their career.

Evan Lee (Sophomore) - Another LHP who can light up radar guns as he can hit 95 and has a big curve ball.  He might be best suited to start to keep his bat in the lineup, but DVH needs to do a better job of utilizing him and I feel like he will next year.

Angus Denton (Sophomore) and Jacob Kostyshock (Sophomore) - Who really knows what to expect from these guys.  They didn't see much action especially with the game on the line, but Denton is unique with his arm slot and Kostyshock could easily add velo and start throwing in the low to mid 90s.

The Newcomers
Bryce Bonnin (Freshman) - I think he can make a big impact on both sides of the ball and is relatively new to pitching much like Stephan was so the ceiling is very high.  He hit 95-96 during the year and flashes a plus slider.  He could be the closer or he could be a starter.

Jackson Rutledge (Freshman) - He will be an imposing force on the mound at 6-8 and was a 4th-6th round talent this year.  He has hit 94, but you can dream of him throwing much harder once he works more with Johnson.  He has the frame to carry a starter's workload.

Hunter Milligan (Freshman) - He has been throwing upper 80s to 90 for a couple of years now, but he is a polished LHP with the frame to add velo.  He has good breaking stuff and adds another LHP for Johnson to use.

Zebulon Vermillion (Freshman) - He is a big time projectable RHP who hit 94 this year.  He could add some velo once he puts on weight and gets stronger.

Kole Ramage (Freshman) - He is more of the mold of Reindl and Kopps where he isn't going to light up the radar gun, but he has a nice slider and fills up the zone.  A lot of times, those type of guys send a lot of mound time as freshmen.

Caleb Bolden (Freshman) - A new signee, he has seen a nice jump in velo and wants to be a Hog.  I think he went from mid 80s on his fastball to now working in the low 90s and topping out at 93.  That is a nice jump and a reason why he will be on campus.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on July 04, 2017, 09:52:46 am
Hopefully we have some guys that can come in and play when one of the returning guys isn't getting it done. It happens every year, and will again this next season, hopefully somebody steps up and says "play me" with their bat.
Yeah, we will need them to step in just in case someone is struggling or gets hurt.  The kind of depth we will have next year will be a good thing.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 04, 2017, 10:26:33 am
Yeah, we will need them to step in just in case someone is struggling or gets hurt.  The kind of depth we will have next year will be a good thing.

It happens every year, this year we struggled for a while to have a third baseman that could hit the ball. DVH plugged in a few guys hoping to find someone, hopefully these incoming guys adjust quickly, get enough mid-week AB's, and feel comfortable come SEC stretch run time.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on July 04, 2017, 10:30:49 am
It happens every year, this year we struggled for a while to have a third baseman that could hit the ball. DVH plugged in a few guys hoping to find someone, hopefully these incoming guys adjust quickly, get enough mid-week AB's, and feel comfortable come SEC stretch run time.
Yeah, depth is a key to being a successful team with a chance to win it all.  I think the incoming freshmen have the talent to start in 2018, but I doubt we have to count on them in a major role unless we are just decimated by injury.

Brewerfan10

Evan Lee and Dominic Fletcher both named to the California Collegiate League All Star Game.

http://calsummerball.com/Roster.pdf