Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Colorado in June

Started by Tripod1, March 12, 2018, 11:18:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripod1

I'm not much on the cold and skiing so the wife and I and another couple are looking into a trip in June.  Probably spend a week to ten days.  Also we would like to travel around and not stay in one particular place although maybe one quadrant of the state.  What do you seasoned travelers think we should do?
Thanks for any advice and help you can give.

McKdaddy

March 12, 2018, 03:38:52 pm #1 Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:40:42 pm by McKdaddy
We visit South Fork each year, usually in June or July, depending on the kids' activities. It is located on the other side of Wolf Creek Pass from Pagosa, closer to Crede. We can easily get to Crede in about 15-20 minutes (depending on which house we vrbo), as we hang-out and make trips there quite a bit of our week for this or the other.

South Fork is located in SW Colorado. Plenty of mountains for my biking, hiking, streams, lakes, jeep/atv trails, rafting waters....like much of Colorado.

South Fork is a small spot in the road that we enjoy, which seems to be lacking the touristy flood of people that one experiences at other places, like Estes Park (a great place to visit, but one full of tourists).
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

bennyl08

Quote from: Tripod1 on March 12, 2018, 11:18:09 am
I'm not much on the cold and skiing so the wife and I and another couple are looking into a trip in June.  Probably spend a week to ten days.  Also we would like to travel around and not stay in one particular place although maybe one quadrant of the state.  What do you seasoned travelers think we should do?
Thanks for any advice and help you can give.

What activities do you enjoy? If you listen to my advice, you'd be eating cheaply, spending most of your nights in a tent, and doing some strenuous hiking, but would also get some amazing views and opportunities for some good photography.

You could easily spend the whole time in and around the Gunnison National Forest. Rocky Mnt Natl Park is good too, but can get crowded in the summer. However, even with the main areas crowded, hiked up to sky lake and had it all to myself.

If you're into history, Mesa Verde.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Juboar

Great time to go.   For music try to catch a show at Red Rock.  The Naval Academy is awesome.  For adventure raft the Arkansas river out of Buena Vista.  It is a rock and roll white water show.  Estes Park is nice for a day or two.  Nice little golf course and has the Hotel used in the Shinning.  Steamboat Springs puts on a good 4th of July party with a rodeo, parade, free live music and some great places to eat.   It's a little more isolated but driving in Colorado is a joy.  Many of the ski resorts run a Gondola or lift and offer downhill biking and very good golf.  For craft beers Fort Collins is king and worth a day or two.   I could go on.  Send a PM if you want more details.   

Lady Razorback

I love Colorado in summer but have really only been on group trips.  So, I didn't really keep any of the details.   Both of my daughters are moving to Denver in June and I would love to have some adventures to try and places to see!!! 

DLUXHOG

Hike Garden of the Gods park trail in Colorado Springs (brief, non challenging, but very interesting and pretty), Rocky Mountain National Park (w/i an hour of Denver)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HighcountryHog

Red Rocks is a must.  Plenty of good music the month of June.  Be sure to check out the Colorado Music Hall of Fame underneath the amphitheater.  Unless you're going towards the end of June, hiking a 14er won't be possible.  The next best thing is climb the Manitou Incline near Colorado Springs.  June is prime rafting season.  For whitwater, head to Buena Vista and run the Numbers and the Narrows.  For more of a relaxed float, and fish, float from Pumphouse to State Bridge on the Upper Colorado.  Steamboat and Steamboat Lake is one of the prettiest areas in Colorado any time of year.  Fly fish on the Elk River or soak in the thermal pools at Strawberry Springs. The beginning of June the GoPro Games held in Vail.  Mtn biking, kayaking, SUPing, slack lining, climbing, ultimate frisbee, dog jumping, and live music.  Southwest Colorado will suck you in.  Go for a hike in the Weminuche Wilderness around Creede.
no bumps, no fat chicks

HighcountryHog

no bumps, no fat chicks

Großer Kriegschwein

Take some sweatshirts. Gets cool at night, even in the summer.
This is my non-signature signature.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 12, 2018, 10:09:53 pm
Take some sweatshirts. Gets cool at night, even in the summer.

^^^^^   Amongst my fav things to do there is to sit on the deck morning and evening, bundled-up, with some reading material, and warm drink.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 13, 2018, 04:55:19 am

^^^^^   Amongst my fav things to do there is to sit on the deck morning and evening, bundled-up, with some reading material, and warm drink.

And eat at least once at the King Chef and maybe Gunter Toody's.

King Chef is frickin amazing.

Met my ole lady there in 2008, married there in 2009, moved away in 2010.

oldman1015

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 13, 2018, 06:39:42 am
And eat at least once at the King Chef and maybe Gunter Toody’s.

King Chef is frickin amazing.

Met my ole lady there in 2008, married there in 2009, moved away in 2010.
Did you take her with you?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Großer Kriegschwein

HogPharmer

I'm going to Taylor Park in Colorado (close to Gunnison) next summer (July) to go ATV riding. There's a group of 10 of us all pulling our side by sides, wheelers, and one jeep out there. We went a couple years ago and absolutely loved it. We get cabins for the whole week. It's very rustic but it's nice to get away from technology sometimes. Next summer will be my 3rd time going to Colorado in the summer time. Only ever been once in the winter time.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

cosmodrum

Taking the family to Estes Park 4th of July week. Gonna take the long way through New Mexico to check out Lincoln and all the Billy the Kid sites. Might stop in Colorado Springs for some time at the Garden of the Gods. Staying in in a condo right on the Fall River so I can wake up, walk outside and put a line in the water. Looking forward to taking the kids on Trail Ridge Road through RMNP. Absolutely stunning views.
Go away, batin'

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on April 26, 2018, 12:05:05 pm
I'm going to Taylor Park in Colorado (close to Gunnison) next summer (July) to go ATV riding. There's a group of 10 of us all pulling our side by sides, wheelers, and one jeep out there. We went a couple years ago and absolutely loved it. We get cabins for the whole week. It's very rustic but it's nice to get away from technology sometimes. Next summer will be my 3rd time going to Colorado in the summer time. Only ever been once in the winter time.

Get away from technology?  You were texting me pictures, dummy. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

HogPharmer

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 26, 2018, 01:41:40 pm
Get away from technology?  You were texting me pictures, dummy.

Those were a different type of picture
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HognotinMemphis

I would not go before mid July if you like to hike. Snows can still block hikes at about 9,000 feet and up. 4 years ago, we were in Telluride in June and got cut off half way on every hike we attempted due to massive snow walls blocking paths completely. Some late season snowfall that year.

We spend 3 weeks in Telluride last summer in August. Perfect. Great base from which to see a lot of SW Colorado and not that touristy and crowded in Telluride. Small town but not so small as to get bored in. Ton of hiking and biking from downtown.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

kibster

We are considering going to Colorado for our vacation in the fall.  Probably late September to catch the Aspens changing. 

We haven't spent any time in Colorado except for a quick layover for a concert at Red Rocks a few years back.  We aren't hikers, but love great scenery.  We primarily travel for food, so I don't want to be too far away from a good meal.  We are just in the planning phases, but I have a friend that has offered up her condo in Vail for us to use.  I also think I would like Aspen (not knowing anything about it, so feel free to change my mind).
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

HogPharmer

A few pics from my trip out to Taylor Park, CO back in 2016. Headed back this July...

kibster

Incredible.  Did you take your own ATVs or rent them?
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

HogPharmer

Quote from: kibster on February 22, 2019, 12:51:22 pm
Incredible.  Did you take your own ATVs or rent them?

We hauled them out there. That trip we had 2 side by sides and 3 wheelers. This summer we'll have 3 sxs's and 2 wheelers. I can't wait.

mckinneyhog5

Going to New Mexico in June to look for Forrest Fenn's treasure. I know it's not Colorado but some people think his treasure is in Colorado. You should check his story out..may give you something to do while traveling through Colorado and if you go through New Mexico to get there. Warning! it can become very addictive once you begin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenn_treasure

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

jabberjawls

Fly to Colorado Springs.  See Garden of Gods. Drive up to Rocky Mountain National Park for a day or two.  Drive over to Aspen and that area for a day and then drive to Moab, UT.  Arches and Canyonlands.  Then drive to Durango stopping at Mesa Verde for an afternoon.   In Durango take the Silverton/Durango train.  Then drive the million dollar highway and, if you still have some time, go through Telluride.  Then head east stopping at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.  Then continue to head east catching some sights along the way to Royal Gorge.  Then fly home from Colorado Springs.

go hogues

Quote from: kibster on February 19, 2019, 10:28:00 pm
I have a friend that has offered up her condo in Vail for us to use.  I also think I would like Aspen (not knowing anything about it, so feel free to change my mind).
Definitely take her up on that. Aspen and Vail are both great. Better have some cash though, as both are pricey.
Maroon Bells at Aspen is gorgeous. As the locals say, you go to Colorado for the winters but you stay for the summers.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

EconHawg

I was in Colorado for a week in the middle of June last year. Spent a day in Keystone at their annual bacon/bourbon festival (it was as awesome as it sounds). Spent a day in Breckenridge, took the gondola up to the resort, and then just checked out some bars and trails. Spent a morning in Golden, then afternoon/evening checking out Denver and watching a Rockies game. Spent a day touring breweries in and around Ft. Collins and having some really great food in that area. Did a little bit of light hiking here and there with my buddy that lives out there, then finally drove to Omaha to take in the CWS finals.

There's good times to be had out there, and the elevation gives a great break from the heat that time of year. If you drive out there, I'd highly recommend driving over Loveland Pass if you end up anywhere near the area.