Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QUICKER

Started by 12247, February 21, 2018, 08:42:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tulsa World, Sports Page, Wednesday, 2-21-18, Columnist Guerin Emig---guerin.emigAtulsaworld.com

The summation of the article is what fate can do for a football player or a team.

Steve Owens doesn't win the 2nd of OUs 6 Heisman's in 1969 without lineman Ken Mendenhall clearing the way.  Mendenhall, from Enid, OK,  was bound for Arkansas.  He and his family and High School HC Alvin Duke had set in the stands and watched Arkansas beat Texas 27-24.  HC Duke had gone to Arkansas and though Mendenhall had looked at OU, his plans was Arkansas all the way.  Mendenhall remembers Bobby Crockett catching all those passes and his visit leader was Light Horse Harry Jones, the Hogs RB from Enid who was on the cover of Sports Illustrated after the Texas win.

2.5 months after Mendenhall's Arkansas visit, fate sets in.  OU hires Hog assistant Jim Mackenzie as HC and he brings along another assistant named Barry Switzer.  Arkansas finished that season at 10-1 after winning a version of the NC the year before.  OU went 3-7 that same year.

BUT, new HC Mackenzie called the Mendenhall household on an icy winter day to talk to recruit Ken.  Ken told the new OU HC he was going to Arkansas and the new HC first words were, has your Mama started supper????  Mackenzie drove to Enid on the icy roads and took the family out to dinner at the Holiday Inn on the south side of Enid.  The winning arguement was OU won't redshirt you and Arkansas will as Arkansas had enough team to redshirt their Freshmen.

Mendenhall was not a prototypical lineman but ended up being the glue.  He played on the Freshman team his first year.  Switzer said Mendenhall was small for a lineman but he was QUICKER.  REMEMBER THAT STATEMENT.   He would come up under bigger linemen, lift them off their feet and therefore taking their advantage away.  Switzer words, Mendenhall was one hell of a player.  Mendenhall is being inducted into the Oklahoma Football Hall of Fame at this time.  Oh and OU went 10-1 in 1967 and beat Tennessee in the Orange Bowl with Mendenhall as a starting guard.  Sometimes smaller doesn't mean worse.

Well I screwed up the title to this thread.  Don't know how to correct it.  Anyway, I realize it is impossible for younger Hog Fans to appreciate the Hog teams, coaching staffs and reputation we had 50 years ago.  We older fans never dreamed our team could get where it is right now.  And we didn't know how good we had it then.  Can you understand that OU was settling for one of our assistants as their new HC and another of our assistants as OC.  Frank Broyles coaching tree would shade a huge yard.

Oklahawg

Quote from: 12247 on February 21, 2018, 10:50:29 amFrank Broyles coaching tree would shade a huge yard.

Ain't that the truth?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

26.2Hog

That's a great read.  Thank you.

HawgTide

Quote from: 12247 on February 21, 2018, 10:50:29 am
Well I screwed up the title to this thread.  Don't know how to correct it.  Anyway, I realize it is impossible for younger Hog Fans to appreciate the Hog teams, coaching staffs and reputation we had 50 years ago.  We older fans never dreamed our team could get where it is right now.  And we didn't know how good we had it then.  Can you understand that OU was settling for one of our assistants as their new HC and another of our assistants as OC.  Frank Broyles coaching tree would shade a huge yard.

+1 for the post

flagstaffhog

Good Post.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

DeltaBoy

Good read and I hate we lost that boy to OU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

Before we rewrite history to make it sound like the U or Arkansas was so far ahead of U of Oklahoma that OU was just happy to steal our assistants, please remember that OU had a guy named Bud Wilkinson from '47-'63 who won 47 straight games during that time.

Pigsknuckles

We used to be part of the Tulsa Worlds Big 4 in area sports coverage. We no longer are a part of their editorial priorities. Can't remember when , or the circumstances under which this changed. Seems there was a change in sports editors a few years back, but I know that now the World no longer provides the coverage I once so depended on.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Grizzlyfan is correct.  Not only Wilkinson but many others and OU takes advantage of its opportunities.  So I didn't try to rewrite history but please don't try and belittle what little we do have when it is the truth.  At that point in time a great football school was mining our assistants for good coaches.  Actually I see it as showing just how good the assistants were if OU wanted them.  Speaks highly of our program at that time.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on February 21, 2018, 06:05:36 pm
We used to be part of the Tulsa Worlds Big 4 in area sports coverage. We no longer are a part of their editorial priorities. Can't remember when , or the circumstances under which this changed. Seems there was a change in sports editors a few years back, but I know that now the World no longer provides the coverage I once so depended on.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are going to be relevant to Tulsa World coverage for obvious reasons. Tulsa as well...hometown team. Arkansas received more coverage when they were playing Oklahoma State and Tulsa more frequently and frankly, when Arkansas was more relevant to the national discussion. Recruit Tulsa athletes harder, start picking up more frequent regionally specific OOC games with teams like Okla State and Tulsa again and you might see a renewal of the "the Big 4" report. Arkansas has removed itself from that regional discussion over the last couple of decades.

I'd like to see it renewed.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Man, I've been loving your posts lately.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rtr

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 21, 2018, 03:32:27 pm
Before we rewrite history to make it sound like the U or Arkansas was so far ahead of U of Oklahoma that OU was just happy to steal our assistants, please remember that OU had a guy named Bud Wilkinson from '47-'63 who won 47 straight games during that time.
Most everyone knows this, Bud Wilkinson was an assistant for Gomer Jones on OU's staff.  Gomer was nudged out to make way for Bud's promotion.  OU has a history of promoting promising young assistants to Head Coach.  Their tract record is good.  In the mid-60's Frank Broyles staff at Arkansas was considered the best.  Look at his assistants who became HC, Jim McKenzie, Barry Switzer, Doug Dickey, Jimmy Johnson, Ken Hatfield, Fred Akers and Hayden Frye.  In the mid-60's Arkansas and Texas were at their height.  The leadership at OU knew where to find a up and coming assistant.  They continued this with Bob Stoops when he was Florida's DC.     

It has nothing to do with Arkansas being so far ahead of OU, although we were enjoying more success than them at that time.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

HoggyCat

I don't know that a smaller, quicker OL can lift today's BIGGER DL......
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Been10Hog

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 22, 2018, 06:29:56 am
Lowest man wins. If quicker can get you lower than your opponent you have a chance. It's a matter of leverage and being able to use your legs. Most college athletes can squat more thasn they can bench press. low guy can use his legs while higher is having to use chest and just mass

There was an AM radio station in Tulsa that used to cover the Hogs until the SEC network took over.  If we played Tulsa and OSU in football and basketball and Tulsa and ORU in Basketball, folks up here would remember Arkansas' name again.

HogFoo

I'm not old enough to remember those days of football. But, I look at the basketball team the same way. The pinnacle rise and then the demise, followed by a slow rise again.   but that's a different story for a different forum.

I totally agree that we don't have to have huge OL.  In fact we'll probably be one of the lightest other than mizz.  defensive wise, probably same , other than our DTs.  Our DE's will be around 265ish, which is what Gerald is coming in and I believe Sosa is said to be dropping weight.  I figure he'll be back down to around 265 ish as well, back when he was a 5* and one of the best players in nation.  He'll get his speed back and I think our dfense is going to be pretty dang good with these 2 guys at bookends.  But yes,we'll drop the weights of our OL so they can be quicker and be able to move, instead of being bloated slugs out there that bielema kept trying to make us. I believe we have the talent, and I believe that we have the coaching!  we did NOT after pittman left. as ive mentioned a few times Anderson was worthless and cost bielema his job.  Having a good OL coach will definitely make a HUGE difference.  I believe that by the end of the season, most fans will not recognize our OL and how much better is was. Which is good!   definitely need to be able to have lateral quickness to be able to pick up the blocks in pass pro.  And like I stated, I believe we have enough talent on OL to do it. 

Morris realized right away we needed more speed.  Anyone who watched any tape of our games could see that.  And he recruited some in this last class and he'll be going after a lot more.  Gone (well at least in a year or two haha) are the days where we look like we are running in quicksand while other players are zooming away.  I totally trust in the process that Morris wants to do.  I think we start winning immediately this season;especially since this coming season was already setup to be a winning season.  I could easily see us get 8 games, or even 9 and a bowl.  I think Morris has an excellent recruiting staff and he'll be able to get us a top 15-20 recruiting class this next season.   The offense is going to be exciting, and great Offensive players are going to want to play in offense.  I believe our defense takes a step towards being great immediately as well.  especially with Gerald/sosa.   we already know what the CHief wants to do.  He wants great CBs and good safeties  so that we can play some man, and then try to collapse the pocket with Gerald/sosa and let the LBs finish either the QB or the RB off.  We have our best CB returning from injury.  He is definitely a shutdown CB.  We have pretty decent depth with callaway and curl getting significant playing time. Ramirez,brown, liddell, plus our new guys, coming in, all 4*s,  definitely on paper in the next few years we'll have a great secondary.  i'm hoping to see immediate improvement  as soon as next season tho.  might be wishful thinking on my part, but like a said, getting our top NFL caliber CB back from injury should help. Also, having the 2 studs at DE will be awesome, we just need to get those types on depth.  our LBs look to be good as well. I think Harris, dre, morgan, plus the new guys parker, pool, that could be a pretty nice starting lineup.  we just need to build up the depth chart, thru development and recruiting.  i'm excited again about football.  I really believe that this style of football Morris brings will be the great equalizer for us.  we were never going to be able to recruit enough players to run what Bielema wanted.  but, with morris, I believe we can get enough talent here to be as good as any petrino coached team ever was.  I also think that Morris can have us with the same record in year3 as petrino did!  Watch and see.   Of course then again, I did think tha we were gonna beat UK and possibly run up the score... so what do I know? haha
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

SooieGeneris

February 23, 2018, 03:08:14 pm #17 Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:01:47 pm by SooieGeneris
Quicker is good, but don't think for a minute that our O line is going to be filled with 280 pounders because Morris had a few of those at SMU..

He wasn't going against SEC defenses 8 times a season in SMU's league. If you examine SMU's roster, you will see half or more of their O linemen were over 300.. 

Our roster contains some under 300 lb linemen, mostly long snappers and redshirt freshmen or walk ons. SMU's starting line averaged just over 290 last year, ours averaged 319, mostly due to Gibson at 333 and Wallace at 337.

The other three who started most of the season were all under 319 with Ragnow at 317, Froholdt at 311 and Colton Jackson at 298. In the games Clary started, the average was down to 309.

That's still quite a bit bigger than SMU's starters, but it should be noted that this staff stresses flexibility and SMU simply couldn't sign bigger kids with flexibility, as the demand for those kids is so high.

In 2014, Morris' last year as OC at Clemson, the 19 linemen on offense listed on the roster (including walk ons) averaged 305.5. Last year, the 20 on our roster averaged 306.5.

In order for us to start the 280 lb linemen some fans seem to think we will, some massive weight reductions would be the only way for that to happen, because even the 3 freshmen we signed on the line average close to 300. Wallace and Gibson probably haven't weighed under 290 since the 8th grade and Froholdt carries his 311 well.

On signing day, OL coach Dustin Fry when talking about Noah Gatlin, who is listed at 6'7 300, said: "he could easily carry another 15-20 pounds." That would make him 315-320.

The other two O linemen we signed are around 290-300. A quick 280 pounder would often get manhandled by a quick 300 lb. defensive lineman who is as quick or quicker than he is..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

I still believe this coming season depends on getting the mental attitude on the current players adjusted to where they really believe.  We saw a baseball team go through the motions last night.  Not mentally ready to play.  Being mentally ready is always a problem.  Its about the only problem BAMA has. 

If Chad can get his Guys to buy in and believe, this group can exceed most reasonable expectations.  Though this team may not (WON"T) win championships, they have the ability to make a fan want a ticket to see the Hogs bust their collective asses trying.  To see the coaching staff busting their asses trying to pull the right string at the right time and often failing but leaving no one in doubt, that the failure was at full speed, thought out, planned but not the failure part.  In summation, I would buy a ticket to see those gang tackling, refusing to quit, precision offensive plays, busting ass on special teams, hard working team & coaches bring it on and lose sooner than I would buy a ticket to see us stumble in circles, look disinterested and beat Coastal Carolina.  But thats just me.

jcharkansas

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 22, 2018, 06:29:56 am
I think it depends on just how much smaller we are talking.