Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morris basically laughed at the notion of star gazer

Started by checkraiser88, February 07, 2018, 08:28:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

Quote from: colbs on February 10, 2018, 03:46:56 pm
Oregon made the NC the first year of the playoff.  I agree it's tough and you need some help from your schedule.
You are right, Oregon did get to the NC game the first season, had scores reversed. But the thing is the same, they got there once in a conference that doesn't have a dominant program. Unless something changes and some people find themselves on probation or in transition from coaching searches, we won't have that luxury.

redneckfriend

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 10, 2018, 03:46:01 pm
One quick question: do you honestly think that most national rating services consider an offer from someone like 'Bama, UGa , Clemson, LSU and such equal to one from a program such as Arkansas ??? Point being that certain programs, fairly or not, will automatically have greater weight assigned to an offer for a particular player. Whether it's fairly earned in every situation, the truth is the bias still exists. And that can't be denied.

Since the argument on this site seems to be that Alabama, Clemson etc. don't pay attention to stars and do their own evaluations I'd say it would be smart for the rating services to consider that. After all, isn't the mantra on this board "I don't care about stars, I care about offers". So when the bigs offer the services probably use that as a check on their own evaluations and go back and question whether they may have ranked the player too low. If they think they did then their ranking goes up. If Arkansas offers that doesn't happen. I would guess that the recruiting services and the coach evaluations, especially the evaluations by the major players, are pretty close and comingle to an extent. For the lesser programs the coach may have a tendency to overrate a player because he can sign him-he'll still say he does his own evaluation and he probably does but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 10, 2018, 04:35:45 pm
Since the argument on this site seems to be that Alabama, Clemson etc. don't pay attention to stars and do their own evaluations I'd say it would be smart for the rating services to consider that. After all, isn't the mantra on this board "I don't care about stars, I care about offers". So when the bigs offer the services probably use that as a check on their own evaluations and go back and question whether they may have ranked the player too low. If they think they did then their ranking goes up. If Arkansas offers that doesn't happen. I would guess that the recruiting services and the coach evaluations, especially the evaluations by the major players, are pretty close and comingle to an extent. For the lesser programs the coach may have a tendency to overrate a player because he can sign him-he'll still say he does his own evaluation and he probably does but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Boom!  Correct. 

Turns out the whole bias thing is a pretty legit practice.  Giving preference to a recruit with offers to Saban, Meyer and Dabo is THE most credible thing any service could do.  The talent those coaches sign IS NOT overrated.  Constant playoff appearances and NC's is proof.  They know it, it's why none of them would even consider sniffing a HC position in Fayetteville.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

AHiD

Here's the question guys—what will you say if—IF-Arkansas wins a national championship next year?
My name...is Jerruh

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 10, 2018, 05:45:25 pm
Here's the question guys—what will you say if—IF-Arkansas wins a national championship next year?

Everyone will be ecstatic.  Of course. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

rude1

It would be great, that is until we all awaken.

AHiD

Which is more likely: 2-10, or 15-0 National champions?
My name...is Jerruh

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 10, 2018, 05:59:18 pm
Which is more likely: 2-10, or 15-0 National champions?

Neither are remotely likely, but 2-10 is easily more likely.  Easily.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 10, 2018, 03:46:01 pm
One quick question: do you honestly think that most national rating services consider an offer from someone like 'Bama, UGa , Clemson, LSU and such equal to one from a program such as Arkansas ??? Point being that certain programs, fairly or not, will automatically have greater weight assigned to an offer for a particular player. Whether it's fairly earned in every situation, the truth is the bias still exists. And that can't be denied.
Exactly.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 10, 2018, 05:27:00 pm
Boom!  Correct. 

Turns out the whole bias thing is a pretty legit practice.  Giving preference to a recruit with offers to Saban, Meyer and Dabo is THE most credible thing any service could do.  The talent those coaches sign IS NOT overrated.  Constant playoff appearances and NC's is proof.  They know it, it's why none of them would even consider sniffing a HC position in Fayetteville.
Hardly legit when I have seen I happen more than once with Auburn recruits. The problem lies in some of the recruiting service guys who are too close to the schools they cover and are manipulated by the schools to inflate a ranking to make the school look better. There is no other way to explain a 2 star rise to a 4 star based solely on an offer from a school. When I followed recruiting much closer than I do now, I would see it happen every year with certain schools.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on February 10, 2018, 07:19:49 pm
Hardly legit when I have seen I happen more than once with Auburn recruits. The problem lies in some of the recruiting service guys who are too close to the schools they cover and are manipulated by the schools to inflate a ranking to make the school look better. There is no other way to explain a 2 star rise to a 4 star based solely on an offer from a school. When I followed recruiting much closer than I do now, I would see it happen every year with certain schools.

Nobody is saying there isn't some bias.  But you're arguing the exception, not the rule.  There are always exceptions, and we love to argue them, because it's about all we have.  Just not a legit argument when looking at the whole. 

PigPusher

I believe it was Rivals that openly admitted they look at the major schools assessment of a player in assigning star rating to a player. It seems to just be yet another part of a Rivals type service in the collection of data on a player. To me there doesn't seem to be a problem as long as everyone knows the game that is being played and what the rules are.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Vantage 8 dude

At the end of the day it will be CCM and staff's neck on the line when it comes to the talent they recruit. Whether they look at stars or not they will be charged with the responsibility of developing the kids they get, no matter where they may be ranked when it comes to the various recruiting services. Yes, a class full of four and five stars would be a dream come true. And even though some think it impossible, likely at least for the next several years, I feel the staff is working hard toward trying to achieve that. However, I will repeat that it's the football staff that has to make the determination of who they pursue according to their own evaluation and need assessments. In the end that's what they get paid to do and in part how their job performance will be assessed (in addition to w/l s, graduation rates, etc.).

Mike_e

It'd scare me to death.  I don't want to have to go sit with ole miss in the cheater's corner and with that kind of turn around the nc2as would find something on us even if they had to make it up.

As to the new kind of recruiting tool we need, we already have it.  The ability of teenagers to change their minds is legendary BUT if anyone can get them to settle on something it's their parents or close trusted authority figures.  Read that in most cases their HS football coaches.

Every staff talks to the moms and dads but how many really take time to get the young men's coaches on their side- not just when those staffs want someone but to have a real relationship.

This isn't a slam dunk guarantee but it is over the course of time a game changer I think.

How do you sell Ice to an eskimo?  Develop a relationship where they'll want to buy whatever you are selling.

Relationships, our new secret weapon.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

War Boar

February 17, 2018, 12:01:30 pm #115 Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:13:29 pm by Ark13
Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 08, 2018, 12:40:54 pm
You should leave now and beat the rush.

Arkansas IS a 7-8 win program.  Period.  We may have some seasons better than that, but they will be offset by seasons worse than that.  Look at our history, all of it.  Particularly our SEC history.

Learn to appreciate the program we are instead of being pissed off over a pipe dream.

Someone probably should have told Clemson this. Apparently they didn't get the memo that you can't overcome your history.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Ark13 on February 17, 2018, 12:01:30 pm
Someone probably should have told Clemson this. Apparently they didn't get the memo that you can't overcome your history.
Clemson is in a far better recruiting situation that we are.  They have tons of talent on their doorstep.

And I'm not saying we can't overcome for periods of time.  Just that we will return to the mean over time.

If Morris is a sublime coaching talent who can legitimately make us a player for Texas talent, he can take us to another level.  But he won't be here forever.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 17, 2018, 01:52:38 pm
Clemson is in a far better recruiting situation that we are.  They have tons of talent on their doorstep.

And I'm not saying we can't overcome for periods of time.  Just that we will return to the mean over time.

If Morris is a sublime coaching talent who can legitimately make us a player for Texas talent, he can take us to another level.  But he won't be here forever.
in western south carolina? COME ON, man! They also have WAY more competition!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 10, 2018, 05:48:32 pm
Everyone will be ecstatic.  Of course.
Not jabberjawls. Heck, he'll claim it's either a conspiracy "underwritten" by Jerry Jones and/or he'll say its actually an illusion 'cause he's already proclaimed that the hiring of CMM was a disaster waiting to happen. Because in his objective way of reasoning he's "smelled a rat" along. Realistically though I honestly don't think we'll have to worry about a NC next year. (sigh)

War Boar

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 17, 2018, 01:52:38 pm

I'll give you that. It also helps that they don't play in the SEC West. I'm not saying it wouldn't be tough. I'm just saying it is possible. I think all most fans want is a team that is competitive in every game they play. This bull of getting blown out of two or three games a year has to end. No one likes rolling into Auburn looking like we don't belong in the same stadium. Or playing a home game with Coastal Carolina looking like we do. If we average eight wins a season and are in the hunt for something more every so often, most reasonable fans will be happy.